The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Fur's Savage build - 22-250 (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Fur's Savage build - 22-250
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2015 06:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fur, you're a good guy, love your enthusiasm, etc. but that bolt handle is, (what's the word) overkill? I don't like it, one bit. Sorry.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2015 03:49 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh c'mon, Leonard. Here's a guy who is watching the world unfurl before him. He'll be over it soon enough. At least he quit with the BB gun stuff. I agree with your assessment, however. No amount of paint is going to fix that.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2015 05:24 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
1 thumbs up, 2 thumbs down ..

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2015 07:12 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Fur, what's that song ? if it makes ya happy it can't be that bad. Sheryl Crow, I think..

That's kinda how, I feel about your bolt. It's all good man.

Us old farts are a "tad" conservative, can't help ourselves..It's our nature..

Keep it real.. [Wink]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2015 07:32 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have all my reloading gear out in a shed, freezing in winter, with lube tacky and fingertips numb, summer was vicious with biting bugs down back of my neck under the light.
For many years now Ive had a designated man cave, all the room I need plus climate controlled conditions.
[URL=http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Az-Hunter_2006/media/gunroom_zpsypr7jv1s.jpg.html]  - [/U RL]

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2015 07:53 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a nice setup you have there Vic.

BTW, couldn't help but to notice the map pinned up to the right. That's a topo plastic one, right ?

I have four of those that represent my hunting/recreation area, that need pinned up by my bench.URL=http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/doyle1248/media/DSCN6285_zpsqfrjyuai.jpg.html]  - [/U RL]
(edit) screwin' with photobucket. Notice the space heater ? bad thing about winter, it can be 25-30 degrees in an insulated garage.

Love to view those maps as references ect..

[ February 24, 2015, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2015 08:21 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Vic, only thing missing is an Arbor press..

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2015 05:38 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Good eye Dave; that is a topo map of my area of operation, although it is beginning to fade.
Those Dillons are the cats ass Fur, I can take my time and still crank out 400 rounds an hour. I have on old RCBS Rock Chucker for the meticulous stuff, and I can't imagine what it can't do, that an arbor press can?
As you submerge deeper into the reloading game, you'll figure out how far you want to wade. Some guys are rabid about every step, sorting cases, reaming primer pockets, weighing bullets, trickling powder....it can go on and on.
Im a simpleton, I load them, then shoot them. About the only function I perform on loading prep, is to make sure my cases are trimmed to proper length. Ive never cleaned a primer pocket in my life, and lean to powders that flow well thru my powder dump. That's about the only reloading compulsions I have?

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2015 06:23 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just sayin'...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2015 10:15 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Furs bolt knob looks like one of those flashlights cops like to beat the fuck out of people with.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2015 11:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen Vic's man cave. The most impressive, (and understated), is the lion pelt hanging behind the door, on the opposite wall.

However, (small point) I would beg to differ on the Rockchucker versus arbor press/straight line seating argument.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2015 07:57 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, its a good day.. I got my 22", not 21" inch barrel in today. Looks pretty good so far.

Off to cerakote.

-

[ March 03, 2015, 04:48 AM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2015 12:46 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I did an impulse buy at sportsmans and got the hornady concentric checker.

I plan to use it to verify concentricity ; however, it allows u to "push" the bullet to tweak it within tolerance.. hmm.. not sure about that, but I'll be using it for run out..

so far, my 223 loads only have 1 mil of run-out.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2015 04:14 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, I've never used one. Maybe I should ?

I have a small piece of glass came off an end table or something ? Anyway, I bust out the ol' bubble level thingy, find something level and roll a few across it and check for wobble.

So far so good ?

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2015 10:59 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave,

I bought it to use as a final round check. If my run-out is as good or better than high quality aftermarket bullets, I 'll conclude I'm doing something right..

Also, if I screw up my seating die, it will clue me in..

I also have a theory that "flyers" sometimes come from one round with a grossly different variable than the others.. I'm thinking it could be run-out sometimes.. But, what the hell do I know, I only started reloading like a few weeks ago..

I can't see how you can know run-out using your calibrated eye method. lol The internet says round-out needs to be better than 2 to 3 mils.. Should be less run-out for shorter bullets like those loved 223 rounds..

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2015 12:21 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
In an accurate rifle, more than .003 is going to be noticeable in your groups.

In a rifle that can only average .5 MOA on a "good day" and when "you do your part", .003 isn't really detectable on target. Say, .005 might be?

If you can't see .003+ with your naked eyeball rolling them on glass, you need new fucking eyeballs. I can see .005+ without even bothering to roll them - it's plainly visible just sitting there.

That said, measurement of such is good. Precision is where you are at, or at least where you are trying to go, so be precise about it, and measure. Runout can be introduced in many ways. They may be cumulative. Measuring at each step is the best way to learn this.

Don't use that idiotic straightening feature though. Use the measurement to figure out where in your process the runout is being introduced and eliminate it.

If you are good at paying attention and learning as you go, you'll probably only use the tool for a relatively short time, before you figure out how to prevent runout in the first place. Then it becomes redundant, and you'll quit using it.

I know I have not touched a concentricity checker for a lot of years. No need to. I know how to prevent runout from ever occurring.

All I do now is roll them across the bench to make sure I haven't gone astray.

But the concentricity checkers I bought way back when the world was young taught me a few things, that I'm glad I learned, and I'd buy them again. Even though I have no real use for them anymore.

Being able to check case thickness variation at the web is far more useful than being able to straighten ammo, too, BTW... NECO is the only one I ever owned that can do that, but I'm way out of touch on what is available these days.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2015 02:22 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Great info! Thanks...

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2015 06:33 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Good post Dave. I always enjoy your perspective.

Fur, I sure hope you didn't think, I was questioning your purchase. Not at all, it very well might be a good thing as you learn.

Somebody ? told me years ago about rolling a round across a piece of glass and you'd be able to tell if something was wrong.

I'm really not into a bunch of these technical terms. Nor' am I a techy guy.. [Big Grin]

I'm not bragging in any way at all. I've handloaded for several rifles in several calibers, all factory rigs, trigger work, sometimes glass bedding ect..

They have all shot less than 1" 5-shot groups, mostly 3/4" with the lucky 1/2" here or there.

What can I say ? I'm just a hillbilly [Wink]

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2015 11:43 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Im with you Dave; about the only place a cartridge gets rolled around in my operation, is on the floorboard of the truck. Do I sometimes wish I had the enthusiasm to be precise and exacting in my reloading, sure, but that was a long time ago. Im basically lazy, and just want to get it done. I make sure Im sober, use the right powder, primer and bullet, then yank and crank to reach the goal of rounds to be loaded for the season.
Ive reloaded for dozens and dozens of rifles, in dozens and dozens of calibers, and like Dave, I have a hard time remembering the few that wouldn't shoot, a couple Ruger #1s' of course, which isn't odd for that model, and one or two Winchesters, which I don't know why I owned them in the first place.
Most all of the rifles Ive owned, both factory, with modest work done to them and custom rifles Ive bought or traded into, all shot pretty damned tight with the right load.

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2015 04:52 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Its all good Dave..

For me, its the fun of figuring out how shit works..

Another good day.. I got a bottle of H1000 for another rifle..

I now have H335, IMR 4166, Varget, and H1000. The powder empire is building..

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2015 07:58 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
After playing with the Hornady for a few days, I decided I needed something better. I got the only one available at Sportsmans, RCBS concentric tool. Overall much nicer! If you get into the details, I believe neck run-out is a must measurement.

Strange thing is that the RCBS measures runout by a factor of two higher than Hornady! Tried four type of bullets in various calibers. I think the RCBS is more accurate. Hornady depends on the ogive radius.

Oh yeah, I was measuring runout after sizing with my new hornady dies AND lock-n-load bushings. My friends have told me they really like the hornady die design. Anyway, I experimented with two 7mm mag cases shot with my savage. Neck Runout before sizing was ~1 mil. After sizing, the run-out reduced by half. I'm pretty happy. I was really nervous about the lock-n-load bushings because you can see the die float (under LOAD) with respect to the rock chucker press. It MUST be self aligning which produces nice straight brass!

-

[ March 16, 2015, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2015 05:58 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Floating is good. Guys have been using O-rings under standard dies to achieve the same effect since before I was born.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2015 07:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what model is that press? I don't think I have seen one exactly like it before? It's extreme right handed, which is never a bad thing.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I really can't get excited about that lockandload shit. Never had a problem with threaded dies and never used O rings and never suffered from runout problems and never resorted to rolling cartridges on the tabletop, etc.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2015 09:33 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Just like with so many things, you don't know , what you don't know.. The concentric checker helps..

That press came from a kit, I believe it was the explorer.

I highly recommend the lock-n-load, a quarter twist and your dies come off and put it back on and your settings are kept. very cool.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2015 09:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's not too burly, if you ever get into case forming. The ram on my RCBS AmmoMaster is one inch in diameter, for instance.

But, resizing Ackley cases is just about the least strenuous work you can do on a press, so I suspect no problems.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit, I might have to check that for accuracy, I think it's larger than one inch?

edit: pay no attention. I sound totally negative and that's not my intent. I love to see new recruits, you guys represent the Last Of The Mohicans, and your ranks are not increasing. Not enough, anyway. Breed vigorously and habitually.

[ March 17, 2015, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters