The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Fur's Savage build - 22-250 (Page 11)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Fur's Savage build - 22-250
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted May 09, 2015 10:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say; it does look like a good one!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2015 03:39 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Fur,

I just sent of $200 for a Silencerco Omega, which is also a titanium can and covers up to .300 Mag.
I got to hold it the other day, but now have to wait for the paperwork to clear before I can actually have it.

Glad to hear you like yours and like you I'm hoping to cover several rifles with it.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2015 04:22 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I would drop down a grain or 2. When I was loading H414 and the 60 grain Bergers in my .22-250 AI I think I maxed out at 42 grains.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 10:20 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny,

Go paper, not efile..

I put my paperwork mid dec, and got approval in March .. That's pretty fast.. Good luck.. I feel a little lucky to get my can under the circumstances..

Thanks for heads up UT.. I loaded some in 42 and 43 and carefully assessing ..

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 12:12 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
The load that is working best for me now with the 60 grain Bergers is 38.2 grains of RL15 great accuracy and they are running around 3850 fps.

Really knocks the life out of the Coyotes.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 06:07 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
LB, Thanks for the arbor press tip..

Love it. Getting excellent run out on the 223 and 7 mm mag rounds.. Keeping the redding S die for the 22-250 for now..

-

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2015 07:20 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Fur,

I didn't know you could e-file? But this is my first rodeo doing this so it has been a learning process and spendy.

Is the e-file route quite a bit slower?

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2015 05:44 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Over a year ago, ATF implemented a efile system to speed things up.. It was an epic failure. FFL's were locking up the system left and right.. Finally, they pulled the plug to redesign it..

Not sure if it's on line yet.. Been almost a year, but I would stay away until proven. :-)

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2015 03:10 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I.m wrapping this project up for now..

Figured out my forming load..

Figured out my hunting load..

I might do an accuracy load later this year when weather cools..

Today, I took the gun out and shot a coyote at 60 yards.. It really put the smack down, it was dead before it hit the ground.. Ended up using the 60 grain hollow point .. It entered and never exited! Nasty round..

The can is awesome.. Shot it with no ears on and it was fine.. Sounds like I'm shooting a 22 at a coyote..

Overall, the gun is heavy for long hiking trips, but that's really no surprise.

Thanks for all the help guys..

Ok, back to fishing!

[ July 24, 2015, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2015 03:29 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like your ready for action. It's always nice to be ready to roll for when the time comes.

Glad your can is working out. Got mine the other day. Took 2.5 months. Now its off to get the barrel threaded, next week hopefully.

Any suggestions on switching to a can? Start with a lighter load or anything along those lines? I have no experience with cans.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2015 06:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been reviewing all this shit and looking at the Gemtech site, it says surpressors aren't legal for civilians in The People's Republik? WTF!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2015 07:42 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, u need to be sensitive to bullet type in a can because the back pressure can be more challenging on an exiting bullet..

In the manuals, they basically say that its void if you shoot anything besides FMJ's..

So, that tells u something.. becareful.

If loading hot, best to make sure it leaves the barrel without a can first (good idea)..

Next is bullet type, I shoot a well made hollow point and stat away from fragile bullets like vmax's, etc..

I've posted this before, but its hard to find data to support a certain bullet and charge.

I don't shoot weak loads, so I develop a loading to my liking, and test without can. After, I shoot again w/ can and carefully inspect.

After that, hopefully, its repeatable..

[ July 26, 2015, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2015 07:44 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,

I own two Gemtech cans legally, so WTF!?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2015 07:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, of course, smart ass. You are my hero.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2015 10:41 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

Wow. I got a new lot of .224 sierra 60 grain 1375's, and the ogive gauge is measuring a difference of .005 inch (length)from the other lot. This measurement is measuring only the bullet. That seems like alot to me, since this could screw up my dims for fire forming and hunting specs. Seems I'd need to remeasure the bullet in the barrel and verify the zero point (touching lands).

I wonder if other brands like berger are more consistent?

Thanks.

UPDATE: After posting this, I went to the man cave and took some measurements in the barrel. I put the new bullets in Lapua brass and gently closed the bolt into the lands. Turns out that my measurements were only .001 off from the other lot.. so, false alarm? The new lot must be slightly shorter in length , but Ogive shape is OK.

[ August 16, 2015, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters