The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Fur's Savage build - 22-250 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Fur's Savage build - 22-250
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2015 08:16 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
It's just that my silencer is over 7" inches..put that on a 26" barrel and I would feel like I'm carrying an elephant penis into the field!

This silencer puts a whole new twist on things. (No pun intended)

Let's see how it turns out..

I really do appreciate all the comments. Yes , even you Jimanaz..

[ January 12, 2015, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2015 08:57 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
As was said, it's your money. I understand the reasoning behind the shorter barrel, maybe a 250 Ackley and a can don't really compliment one another. Or a 250 Rem, for that matter.

I know Tom's is shorter too, but that's just something I can't wrap my head around. Probably a personal flaw. Hell, I almost wish I'd had mine finished @ 30".

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2015 09:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have several barrels longer than 26 inches. I really don't see why people are afraid of long barrels?

In fact, although some may not see the connection, to let a seven inch surpressor dictate your barrel length decisions is kind of questionable. You know, a long barrel, all by itself, is a suppressor. Really.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31461 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2015 05:00 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys and your long barrels, trying to make up for other shortcomings? [Smile]

My cousin is just like y'all he's got his 28" 6mm AI that runs just about 100 fps faster than my 22" 243AI due to his powder choices.

I just don't see the need but as long as you can sleep at night.

In this case, I might have went 24" with a heavy profile due to the can changing POI or went 223AI and a 20" chunk. But I'm not going to tell someone else how to spend their money unless they ask me.

I do remember reading about a guy who chose 30-06AI on his big game carbine. He wound up with vanilla 30-06 velocities which was what he wanted, a shorter handy dandy 30-06.

For me, I toted my shotgun through the timber this past weekend and was amazed at everything the extra barrel length hung on.

I don't think furdirt's bullets are gonna bounce off either way.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2015 05:57 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
On the 4th loading of .22-243AI cases now, and have yet to trim, or even FL size the brass. Quick run thru a bushing neck die & roll wit it!

Same for the .17Predator, with it's Improved shoulder. 5x fired brass, and the bolt still closes on a fired case...

I never forgot when I heard Dave say he likes to "stop beating hearts" when fireforming cases. I quickly adopted that as my preferred way, too. If at all possible...

IMHO, if cans were legal here, I'd be leaning toward building a rifle around a case that thrives in a short barrel, over one that tolerates one. But, to each, his own!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2015 06:38 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Seems I'm getting close to your selection , only 3" off. If all things equal, assuming a 25 to 32 fps worst case per inch lose , that's only about a 100 fps difference max.

Most importantly, accuracy should be similar, right?

Seems like we should start a short barrel club? ha ha

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2015 06:45 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing that I don't know is if an Ackley will provide the same performance delta on a short barrel as a longer barrel? hmmm

[ January 13, 2015, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2015 07:19 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
It'll still be faster than a 21" vanilla 22-250
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2015 07:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's one thing beyond dispute. A short barrel is more accurate than a long barrel. Well, hardly anything "is beyond dispute" up in the north woods, but they say by cutting a long barrel, inch by inch, eventually, it gets more accurate.

Spare us! Snagging a long barrel? Haven't heard that one in a long time. Just kidding but you realize, a lot of places, there is nothing to snag it on?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2015 08:03 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Time to apply for the Ackley club! Vendor confirmed.

[ January 15, 2015, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2015 07:17 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll be glad.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2015 08:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you sure dodged that bullet! Now, could you please instruct him to cut the damned thing at 23" and compromise with a 5" muffler?

Thank you, LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2015 07:48 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, good for you !!

It just appeared to me you were inclined to do the Ackley thing from the 1st place.

Right on.. [Cool]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2015 08:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
NO, HE WASN'T! WE HAD TO DRAG HIM, KICKING AND SCREAMING, EVERY INCH OF THE WAY!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2015 08:36 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Fur, I sure wouldn't worry about the Ackley being a hassle to load for, you have lots of the best on here to help you with any problems.
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2015 09:42 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess I did have a few arm wrestling matches..

Glad you guys are around!

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2015 04:28 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna go kill something with mine in the morning to celebrate.

But I'm leaving the ladder in the shed!

I think 22" 22-250AI's are just fine. [Smile]
As promised...
 - [/URL]

[ January 17, 2015, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2015 01:52 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Thumbs up!

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2015 05:25 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job Tom !!

Fur, now that the dust is starting to settle. What kinda bullets are you gonna use when you start reloading ? I know ya got the IMR 4166 for powder.

Rainy day-night, I'm bored.

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2015 06:29 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that you asked... The barrel is a 1:12, so bullet weight is limited..

I'm interested in shooting as heavy as possible (I think). Still need to dig into this, but I believe the vendor said 55 to 60 grains should stabilize fine.

Bullet selection is trickier, since I got that can on the end. I'm staying away from super fragile bullets to avoid any potential damage to my expensive can. Besides, I hate Vmax. That's another story.

So, I'm thinking a high quality sierra hollow point. [Wink]

Open to suggestions.. thx

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2015 06:45 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know how they would work with your supressor but you should have no problem stabilizing either the 60 or 64 grain Berger hollow points. That's what I have been shooting and my 22-250 Ackley is a 1:12 twist. Both bullets shoot great groups and kill coyotes very dead.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2015 06:48 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a V-max fan either, for whatever that's worth.

A 52-53 gr hollow point is always a solid choice. I've never shot a coyote with a Nosler 55gr ballistic tip. I think it would work fine though.

Here's the deal. Availability is always an issue ?

In the old days you just went out & got what ya wanted. Different game now.

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2015 07:13 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Ain't that the truth seems like Berger discontinues there bullets faster than I can load them. Lol I bought 200 55 grain Berger hollow points target bullets to fireform in my Ackley then I bought five boxes of the 60 grain and 5 boxes of the 64 grain Bergers. Now I'll probably get 5 more boxes of each and call it good. That should last me for the rest of this barrel.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2015 07:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I used a lot of Sierra .224" bullets, the 53HP is probably the best. Also killed a lot of coyotes with the 55 Spitzer. However, they aren't as good as the 55 Nosler BT and Berger bullets are a great choice, if you can get them. I would try the 60gr. Berger, I doubt you would have to look any further? I'm still using a supply of the 62gr. Berger. (not a fur bullet, at my velocities)

But, an ideal situation would be what I get in my 22-250Ackley. Most always, I get a complete passthrough, exiting something on the order of a quarter? They hardly twitch a muscle.

I always used the 55VMax in my 223Ackley. Good accuracy and good killer. It was 2 1/2 years before I saw my first cripple. But, everybody has what they have confidence in. Yeah, those desert dogs are valuable.

But, what that reminds me of. I also developed a 40grVMax load just for cats. In 223AI.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Berger discontinuing bullets. My guess is they are cheap bastards and won't replace a worn die, if it's not in a popular target bullet, which is their bread and butter.

[ January 17, 2015, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2015 08:14 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know over the last 4-5 years if, I see .224 bullets I usually buy a box or two.

So, I've wound up with some combo's I've never even used yet, an example would be just plain jane Hornady 55gr soft points. I see no reason why they wouldn't work just fine ?

I forgot to mention another one of my favorites. The Sierra 55gr spritzer, part #1365 its called a Gameking.

Good luck !!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters