The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Fur's Savage build - 22-250 (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Fur's Savage build - 22-250
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2015 10:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

The message is: regardless of your CoAx press or your Redding dies, if you want real simplicity and accuracy, you need these dies and an arbor press. There is nothing easier to use and nothing more accurate than straight line chamber seating.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 21, 2015, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2015 12:36 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
So Sinclair sells an arbor press kit plus Wilson hand dies..

If I purchase this, do I only need a primer removal die?

Also, what are the bushings used for? Thanks!!

sinclair..

[ January 21, 2015, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2015 01:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The bushings can be used in Redding dies, they are interchangeable with Wilson.

While you can use bushing dies without neck trimming, most people do trim their necks to some extent. This will change the bushing size, and you might not get it, (the size) right, on first attempt. So, you might want to even the wall thickness with a 75% pass or take it to a uniform twelve or thirteen thousandths. Since it only affects the outside of the neck, any turning you do will determine the exact bushing size needed.

The smaller boxes are neck sizer dies, which use bushings. The reason you don't see as many, in the pic is because I use Redding bushing dies, as well.

But, the nice thing about the Wilson dies is that they are not hardened steel and can be reamed to your specifications with the exact same reamer as the one used to chamber your barrel.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2015 03:09 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 

[ January 21, 2015, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2015 11:24 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my bolt and recoil lug that I got from SSS today. They did a good job. It's a bit wild, not sure if I love it. I was going to cerakote the bolt, but contrasts pretty well. We'll see.

-

-

[ January 23, 2015, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 12:16 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys , what A.O.l gauges are u using for the 22-250 ackley?

The hornady locknload does not support wildcat cartridges..

Thanks!

--------------------

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 02:18 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Fireform 2 pieces of brass. Send to Hornady custom with $15. They will have them back in a few days with one 'tapped' for the lock and load tool. You need to send 2 in case one gets messed up in the process (never had this problem)....they will return both.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 08:34 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks cross, I'll look into this.. Seems like best solution for me.

Life is good, I got some varget yesterday..
 -

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 09:18 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Two pounds ? wow..

Sportmans will only sell one pound of whatever they have. I kinda forgot about this thread, did ya get primers and bullets ect, all rounded up ?

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 12:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in Walmart a couple months ago, and maybe the situation has changed? Anyway, they had a sign stating the store policy, THREE BOXES OF AMMUNITION PER CUSTOMER, PER DAY.

They had a modest supply in the glass case. I forget what I wanted, but it was handgun ammo; strictly 3 boxes, whatever the amount of cartridges in each box. So, right beside the glass case, they had shotshells, Federal and Winchester, something like 100 rounds 7 1/2 and 8, and you know that inside were four regular boxes of 25 each. Curious, I asked and the guy said, yeah, you can buy three of those, but only three individual boxes inside the glass case. I could buy 75, (3X25) shotshells from the glass case, or 300, (3X100) shotshells from the shelf right beside the glass case. I said, you know what's inside those long boxes, right? Yup, but that's the store policy....

I think I was amused.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 03:09 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd kill for Varget right now.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 07:47 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Varget would not be on my list for the AI, but I have 10 pounds of it...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 08:38 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw about 15 lbs on the shelf at the man store today. $28 per lb

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 08:45 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA, what's ur favorite powder for 22-250 AI??? Thx

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 04:15 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the twist and the bullet. But for 55's my current tube likes N550.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 06:39 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't find N550 around here, so I used imr 4064, and RL-15 even worked better for me.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 08:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody cares what I use?

H414

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 10:44 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
You can literally go mad if think too hard about all the bullet and powder combinations! (and go broke)

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 12:45 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard the 2 powders I use exclusively for my 22-250AI are RL15 and H414. You recommended it to me and it works great.Seems to be better with the 64 grain Bergers than the 60's though. Use the RL15 with the 60's.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 01:40 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I jumped into the 22-250AI game after reading about one my favorite rifle guru, Ross Seyfried had built up for coyotes. I had one built up back around 1989, on a Ruger 22-250 varmint, big heavy laminate stock and long, heavy tube. I shortened and slimmed the stock, cut the barrel back to 22", and rechambered to the AI.
Ross recommended a stout dose of H414 to break 4K fps, so that's the powder I ran with and never looked back, great performance and excellent accuracy....I love that powder and used it in my 220 swift as well with good results.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 03:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Chad. Happy to hear you are good with the H414. I only use it with 64 and 65 grain bullets, in 22-250AI. I have no information at all, about 60 grain bullets?

It's a different case, but the Middlested is loaded with H4831 behind a 62 grain bullet. I tried H414, peaked a little too early.

Vic shoots something besides sub calibers? Who knew? [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 06:23 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Ive used and experimented with just about all of them at one time or another Leonard. Long ago I was big into PD shooting, so I had several big boomers in order to reach out and kill them.
On coyotes; my 25-06, 6mms', 22-250 and 22-250AI were just to much gun for what I do and how I like to hunt them. I don't own any big rifles now, other than one dedicated to deer. Probably my all time favorite coyote rifle would be the .19 Badger, shooting a 32 grain Calhoon bullet. It was just about as perfect a coyote killer that Ive ever owned and shot.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 08:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If that rifle is one I have shot, a CZ by Calhoon, I thought it was a very nice piece, would like to have one just like it, in fact! But, I thought it was available in a 19-223 as well? No? Whatever, the one you showed me was a damned nice gun, no shortcuts, well made.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2015 04:50 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I installed a sharp shooter's supply trigger today. This was definitely not drop in and forget, you need to very carefully adjust three screws in a sequence. With patience, it worked well. Feels pretty damn good actually, great buy.

Below , are the bullets that I'll be trying.. I decided to go for sierra, thanks for all the recommendations.

-

Still have not received my barrel yet..

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2015 05:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The middle box, 53 grain flat base might be the best. As far as a 55 grain, the spitzer is a better choice than the HP. I never used that 60 gr. no idea what you could expect?

It's a place to start. Don't be afraid to cut the bench work short if it doesn't show right away. You need to weed through these fairly rapidly. In other words, don't get sucked into seating depth to the thousandths of an inch, save that stuff for a few bullets that show promise, if you know what I mean? In other words, a good bullet for your rifle should stand out without much tinkering. I wouldn't use a whole box of bullets varying the load up and down a couple tenths at a time and screwing with the seating depth. You need to do that stuff, but don't waste your time dialing in a one inch group, expecting to turn it into a quarter incher.

Then, you need to evaluate terminal performance and possibly start all over again. Or, maybe you will be lucky and it will all fall into place. Actually, that's where a bit of advice and recommendations from others can be helpful.

Good luck, El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters