The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Fur's Savage build - 22-250 (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Fur's Savage build - 22-250
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2015 06:08 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,

Cool, I get it..

What measurements do you like to use for fire-forming.. Bullet to land distance? Percent of nominal load?

Have you successfully down selected bullets while fire-forming.

Thanks!

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 08:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What measurements do you like to use for fire-forming. Bullet to land distance? Percent of nominal load?

Well, I like to keep it simple, for fireforming, if I have no other option. For me, fireformimg serves no other purpose, I'm not developing a load. Actually, I do my fireforming in the garage, I have a chamber hung from the rafters and use reduced loads of pistol powders without bullets, but that doesn't really address your question, does it?

Have you successfully down selected bullets while fire-forming.

No, if I fireform loaded cartridges, I generally use leftover bullets, ones that I will not be using for a finished Ackley Improved cartridge. And, this is probably just confusing, right? In my practice, once I have the Ackley case formed, that's when the actual load testing begins.

Admittedly, there are a number of ways to accomplish this, everybody is likely to have different methods, and consider certain steps a waste of time; ie, just load em up and fireform em.

But, that scenario can drag out the process until next year, depending on how much time you have to get out in the field and shoot. I like to treat my batch of cases as a unit, cycle them together so I know where I'm at. 200 cases and 8 pounds of powder can get you several years down the road, if you take care of them. I never got out of the habit of holding my fingers of the left hand over the ejection port to keep brass from being tossed in the dirt.

All in all, there is a distinct feeling of accomplishment in having your finished Ackley cartridges dialed in. From that point on, I refuse to be sucked into the different bullets, and endless experiments. I get all that testing out of the way and there are some exact same loads dedicated to specific guns that I have been using for (what)? like twenty years, never changed a thing except minor stuff like when using a new lot of powder or adjusting seating depth to account for throat erosion.

A lot of yacking, hope you get something out of it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 11:22 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty simple when I fireformed. Bought some Berger bullets, had some Varget powder. Seated the bullets to do COL of standard .22-250. Started at the standard 22-250 max load with the Varget and shot. Didn't like the accuracy so I bumped it up to 1/2 grain over max and had about a 3/4 inch group. Used that load to fireform 200 rounds of brass. Killing alot of coyotes along the way.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 11:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
See there? That's the practical application. But, he lives up there in prime coyote country, (I think) whereas, for me, like last month, it's a twelve hour drive.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 05:59 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Leonard and Chad laid out two good ways to get ya there.

I'm guessing Leonard stuffs a cotton ball in the neck to replace the bullet ?

As far as bullet seating goes IMO Sierra bullets shoot best about .030 off the lands, if you desire to take those measurements. I've found Hornadys shoot best closer.

Of course, I'm just shooting factory barrels.

[ February 08, 2015, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2015 08:48 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about prime country but there are a few up here in Utah. Plus Nevada has a few Coyotes too. I definitely like the 60's and 64's for Coyote killing with the New formed case over the 55's I used to fireform with. But they are still a good Coyote killing bullet. I guess the forming wasn't that big of a deal for me considering that I shot a 22-250 Rem. and 55 grain bullets for 20+ years.

Good Hunting Chad

[ February 08, 2015, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2015 03:03 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
We try'em and see what happens..

I installed a cabinet today, so glad I did, makes a big difference, everything is pretty much in reaching distance ..

-

-

[ February 08, 2015, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2015 04:33 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I HATE people who are that organized.

[Big Grin]

The last time that one of my workbenches was that tidy it involved a leaf-blower.

[Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 08, 2015 04:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it's scary. But, give him a chance, he's just starting out.

I think that bench could use just a little beefing up around the press. Not for fireformed 22-250 Ackley, maybe, but larger cases might need some countermeasures, leverage wise? It's hard to make the bench TOO strong.

Cabinet looks like it belongs. Where did you get it and how much was it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2015 05:32 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
A strong bench and tools mounted solidly goes a long way to keeping troubles to a minimum.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2015 05:34 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and I like to shoot so I load a strong standard load with whatever bullet I'm using in that caliber and go kill stuff or bang steel.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2015 05:27 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the measurements Dave..

LB, that cabinet was at Lowe's for about $85.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2015 06:18 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I'm so envious of your set up. My reloading room is the garage.

My daughter still lives with us, she's in college. The spare room is full of my wife's stuff. Now my wife says she's clearing out the spare room, great !!

But, she's buying two bunny's now and that's gonna be their pad.

I'll be married 24 years in September. I live in a female dominated house hold. Everything is white and pink.

I've finally come to the realization, don't fight it. I'm just along for the ride..

A corner of the garage is mine, a reloading bench and a 4-wheeler..Lol

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2015 08:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You sure opened yourself up for a few snarky comments, Dave. But, it won't be me!

Why? Because that's all I have is the "half" of a 2 1/2 car garage. I make it work.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: besides, wait until fur has spent primers rolling around, and spilled powder. No, really, if you have a spare room, it's great but for me, my loading belongs in the garage.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ February 10, 2015, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2015 08:38 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, powder and brass shavings everywhere! But I just vacuum it up! Don't tell the wife..

I went to range today and shot my first reloads. (.223) It was pretty damn fun! Those 53 sierra match shot really well.

I dont know why it took me long to start reloading..

PS. My barrel still has not showed up!

[ February 21, 2015, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2015 08:45 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you dude !!

Hey do you like your powder measure mounted on the end of the bench ? it seems like it should be back some ?

You guys have inspired me, gotta' go back out to the garage. To organize my reloading area.

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2015 09:50 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that is just sickening, to be that neat an organized.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2015 11:55 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

I'm finding that you want ALL equipment right in front of you when reloading, so my ergonomics is not the best.. However, still working it. I have a quick clamp that holds the powder tower so I'll be moving it right in front of me..

I find that if I rotate a little to the right, I can comfortably use the press. The press base is actually quite stiff, so I like that location..

Oh yeah, if you guys are using single presses and not using the Hornady bushing kit , your missing out! It is fabulous to be able to quickly remove any die and twist a quarter of a turn to have your exact settings! Very, very cool.

Hornady Lock n Load bushing Kit

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2015 12:00 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I'm currently reviewing IMR 4166 and I'll report back soon.. So far, so good.

I need a lot more range sessions to confirm, but it shot those 53 sierra matches very nice out of my combo gun!

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2015 08:29 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok here's my setup. Haven't used photo bucket in quite a spell.
 -
Anyway don't laugh too hard. Homemade bench, started as a wood pallet from work..

[ February 22, 2015, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2015 08:49 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Even got my side of the garage back !!

A man deserves @ least half of a garage..

- [Wink]

[ February 22, 2015, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2015 01:44 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
That works, if I was in the garage all year around, I wouldn't be doing any reloading in the summer!! Not in southern AZ

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2015 06:32 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, only thing missing is my damn barrel!

I really like my bolt handle though.. However, I feel it has too much bling, so its going to be cerakote w/ the rest of the components...

-

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2015 03:16 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
In Arizona having a place indoors is reqd. much too hot in the garage. I started out with half the laundry room then When we moved into a house we used to rent out I got my own room. Its my Office , mancave , reloading room. only 12x15 but all mine.

[ February 24, 2015, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2015 03:20 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Love the bolt and handle looks great.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters