The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Fur's Savage build - 22-250 (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Fur's Savage build - 22-250
jwelk
Knows what it's all about
Member # 2051

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2015 11:28 AM      Profile for jwelk   Email jwelk         Edit/Delete Post 
I have shot the Sierra Gameking 55 gr hollow point
for several years now and really like them. I think the number is #1390 on the box.

Posts: 51 | From: oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 10:58 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys.. I'll write down all suggestions and do some research..

Here's the progress on my humble reloading bench; I have a mini bench (anchored to the walls) that mounts the press and it's rock solid !

I think I'll mount a shelve to hold the tools..

-

[ January 19, 2015, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 11:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You should want to get your knees under the bench. It looks like that lower shelf might be in the way of scooting up close? I'd have my shelves above, not below. I hope your press isn't shoved too far, over against the wall? But; if it works for you, that's all that counts.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS needs to be a little more cluttered.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 01:20 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Good eye..

Yeah my knees can get under.. We'll see how it works. The second shelve will definitely be above the table top, thinking about laying out all the tools there....

The press looks like it's slammed next to the wall, but no knuckle scrapping..

Nothing too impressive , but it will get me started..

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 02:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My fellow Americans. Can we have a few shots of your reloading bench, please? Fur definitely needs some inspiration.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 04:36 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
This is in the man cave, so no sweating my ass off in
August, [Wink]

[ January 19, 2015, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 04:56 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, by damn when FUR decides to do something. He just gets er' done !!

Nice setup dude. Let's see another picture in a year or so [Razz]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 05:24 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
photobucket no workie for me?  -

[ January 19, 2015, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 05:26 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh' yeah another thing. I noticed you have a balance beam for a scale, nice !!

Many would just rush to a ChargeMaster or such. I believe everyone should start with a balance beam. JMO..

Anyway I started using a digital scale a few years ago mainly because of my middle age eyes.

Still have the balance beam though. And on occasion check each other to make sure the digital isn't off.

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 05:42 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

I kept telling myself, don't get obsessive , but too late!

Do you guys like to use the expensive dies with mics built into them ? Or the standard set screw dies that are sold in Sportsmans?

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 06:23 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Fur,

You may get different opinions. Mine is keep it simple @ least for now.

I like Redding dies, lots of stuff I like about RCBS, however personally not a big fan of their dies.

I'm unsure of what's used in a Ackley application ? That being said, I've found myself buying Hornady dies because of the drop down sleeve in the bullet seating die.

They used to have a bad reputation, and yes I understand why. They have improved them and I have been using 4-5 sets for several years now.

(edit) I assumed Ackley dies could be purchased in a set ? Yeah they are, Duh..

[ January 19, 2015, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 07:02 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
 - [/URL]
Balance beam here too.
Not the best setup by any means but I'm in the A/C and can load or work on a gun. I have a roll top desk that I keep my bullets, dies, primers, cases and other necassary loading tools. The little filing cabinet is full of powder.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 07:13 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I should say I tried the Chargemaster and it worked fine but was a little slow. I could throw a charge and load the previous shell and still had to wait on the next charge. The fan also screwed with it so I went old school.

I did order a micrometer powder thingie for the thrower, I can set my thrower to whatever I have wrote down on my chart from the previous time. I do check it on the balance beam and then start filling cases.

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 07:27 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, that's interesting to hear you're take on the ChargeMaster.

I stood there about a year ago in Sportsmans Warehouse and pondered and pondered. Just damn near bought one.

Something in me just said no ?

I'm curious what are you using for dies ? Fur, has me about on the edge to do an Ackley ?

[ January 19, 2015, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 08:37 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using Redding 3 die sets. I'm told bushing type dies are better but I don't have any problems with these. I much prefer Redding to RCBS.

I used the Chargemaster for a few years and they do work but I can fill 50 cases and check for any discrepancies before the Chargemaster fills 10.

[ January 20, 2015, 05:03 AM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2015 10:35 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I use a Chargemaster. Keep the swamp cooler and other outside influences from it, and it's hard to beat, IMO.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2015 04:17 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
My bench is in there somewhere.

-

Was given a Chargemaster. I then too gave it away. Just too slow.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2015 05:33 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If you search around, you can find some "how to" vids for reprogramming your Chargemaster to speed up the throws. I did it to mine, and it was a big help.
Also, the "McDonalds straw trick" seems to help stick powders from clumping up inside the tip of the dispenser...
One last thing I did is plug the Chargemaster into a power conditioner strip. Posta help maintain a constant voltage & keep the electronic scale from drifting.
Fluorescent lighting fixtures have been blamed for affecting the Chargemaster, although I've never seen that, firsthand...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2015 08:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm? I had a problem, forty years ago. What with kids, dogs and especially CATS, I decided right away that I needed security. So, I built a long narrow room with two deadbolts and a bench on both ends. Totally built in benches. Totally identical.

Main thing is, I can reach anything without moving. Well, not really, I do have to stand up occasionally, and I need to get off the stool to access stuff underneath but its compact because I only had so much room in my garage.

On the one hand, I do envy those that can dedicate a shack or an entire room for reloading, but it seems to work for me. It is suitably cluttered. I can lock the door and nothing will be disturbed for months. One eight foot florescent provides all the illumination I could ever need.

Main thing is shelves. I need lots of shelf space. I can even stack rifles on one wall. Kind of funny but here recently, I was hoarding ammo and bullets and one shelf FELL DOWN! I usually overkill everything, so was dumbfounded to see all that stuff, busted open boxes, cartridges and bullets scattered all over. But, stuff made out of lead is heavy and I have no excuse, but this time I'm pretty sure it will hold at least five hundred pounds of "ammo".

Now, it's stupid to be cramped in that narrow room in the cold garage, when I have three available bedrooms up stairs and I live alone. But, it's good enough, until I move to AZ.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Dave, you need to take out the trash.

[ January 20, 2015, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2015 12:31 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
LB, moving to AZ, huh?

Interest rates are stupid low right now.

It's about time leaving Cali , the land of no coyote contests..

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2015 12:56 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, I lived in Southern Calif. for over twenty five years.
Had some good times & made some good friends.
But I can't think of a single good reason why anybody would want to live there now.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2015 01:18 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried the speed boost on mine and it helped but nothing is faster than throwing a lever, all I have to wait on now is for the powder to funnel through the 22 cal hole.

I throw 10 charges and weigh each one then when all 10 are correct, I mass produce. I used to weigh every 10th charge just to be sure but it's never been off more than 2/10's of a grain.

My reloading room also holds the dreadmill my wife walks on but the rest of the room is mine. (Unless she needs to move something else in there.)

92soggy
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2015 05:28 PM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 39 | From: Washington | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2015 06:23 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, I'm also diggin' the Co-Ax press !!

I went over to Cabela's in Boise a few years ago to buy one. All they had was a floor model, which they wouldn't sell. Kinda pissed me off, ya know when your in the mood to get something ?

Anyway looks like a hell of a press, and no shell holders !!

[ January 20, 2015, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

92soggy
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2015 09:42 PM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Co-Ax is the best investment we've made as far as reloading tools go.
No shell holders! That's also my favorite thing about it. [Smile]

Posts: 39 | From: Washington | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters