The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » To howl or not to howl (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: To howl or not to howl
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2010 03:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is that? Why are you avoiding eastern SD? For sure, it's not because of warrants for speeding! Bwahahaha! Get it?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2010 06:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
IMPORTANT UPDATE!

Leonard (me) apparently doesn't know there is a big difference between "Prairie Blaster" and the "CS24L Krakatoa"? Well, he does now and the former is not what I wanted. I ordered a CS24L but mistakenly called it a Prairie Blaster....a senior moment. Please excuse. And, don't tell Dan, he gives me enough shit, already.

Good hunting. LB

edit: get the joke? Cal never got a speeding ticket in his life, like AR Shaw.

[ September 07, 2010, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2010 06:40 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Eastern S.D. has some good numbers in a few places. I proved that back in 09 when I had a seven coyote day. I do alot of scouting when driveing through the state I know where they have good fox numbers as well as coyotes but they are in small pockets .. N=E is a pretty good area and heard it gets hit pretty good by the plane..
Reason why I don't spend much time on the eastern side is too many doors to knock on, can't call some areas while deer or pheasant season is going on, pick-up cowboys chaseing the coyotes. The coyotes are still callable but youre stands will get busted when they come driveing through. My time is limited so I don't want to be driveing around knocking on doors or trying to find a rancher who went to town for coffee and he has a shit load of coyotes that you don't want to pass up on..

I worked in central S.D. back in 85, I met a heck of a nice rancher who invited me to hunt antelope on his ranch. Back then there where antelope by the 1000 and most likely 10 times that in coyotes.. Long story short they had a bad snow-storm that almost wiped the antelope out and 1000's of coyotes with one less food source..It was calling heavon for a few years then they brought the plane in and thinned them out some, then mange showed up and sent them for another big tumble. The nice thing about the rancher was he had neighbers and others friends who ranched and he would get ahold of them for me to get permission to hunt. The DNR also gave me a list of phone numbers of all the other ranchers which really helped plus I already had a hand full of references.. I don't hunt every ranch every year and get in contact with most of them over the phone before I make the drive out. Some don't even remember my name but they know me when they see me and they are happy I'm there to thin out a few coyotes..
Most of them are good people and if they catch me parking on a road looking over a map or what ever they always stop to check to see if I'm ok..
I also met Scott and Randy and Jerry H., Steve, colt, and a few other good guys while I have been hunting in the state..
I've had the chance to call coyotes in other states and non of them come close to the area I call in, you can set up a stand and call a coyote in and watch it most of the time and can learn from it and how it reacts to certain sounds and so on, Good place to learn about them.
I cover over 60 miles and the land makes a few changes as I go and I never get tired of looking at it.. Like I mentioned the numbers aren't what they used to be and you have to work a little harder but its worth it and I would'nt trade this place for a ranch in Texas.. [Smile]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2010 06:46 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Leonard (me) apparently doesn't know there is a big difference between "Prairie Blaster" and the "CS24L Krakatoa"? Well, he does now and the former is not what I wanted. I ordered a CS24L but mistakenly called it a Prairie Blaster....a senior moment. Please excuse.
I noticed that when I read youre other posts and wanted to say something but I decided not to say anything for fear of being labeled a know it all.. [Razz]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
J_hun
Knows what it's all about
Member # 872

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2010 06:57 PM      Profile for J_hun   Author's Homepage   Email J_hun         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I haven't been on any forums for quite awhile. When I saw your post I had to respond. I am on the same page with you and nobody is going to convince me different. You can read and listen to all sorts of advice on howling and until you have spent countless hours in the field,like you, it doesn't sink in for the normal person. Consequently their howling is short lived and then back to the distress sounds. On just about every stand , I start out with some type of howl and it has been a normal routine of mine. I know the person I think you are talking about and that is my exact thoughts. If he would encorporate howling into his setups , I'm betting his success rate will come up drastically. That was a good post. I am not looking for an argument, just merely stating my thoughts on the subject. Have a good season everyone.
Posts: 141 | From: Pierre,S.D. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2010 10:05 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify the status concerning Clay Reid, here are his current posts:

Let the record show that I have no ill feelings about Bill martz or any WT guys . For years I have used the WT caller religiously and made no bones about the fact it was the best out there . I still own the WT and love it .
over the last year though I have purchased the FOXPRO CS-24 caller and have used it every since . Not because im mad at anyone just because in my opinion its better than the WT .
The caller is just dang near the same caller but the remote is far superior and I can put My own sounds and others onto it pretty simply .
Some of the contests I won were using the WT but in 2010 I won these with the FOXPRO CS 24 .
Now this might not make a rats arse to most but I just dont want anyone thinking I have bad blood with the WT . Ive supported it for 12 years . You cant go wrong with either but for now this is my drug of choice when it comes to money on the line callers .
Bluegrove Tx calling champion 09
Graham TX Jan.calling champion 10
Graham TX Feb. calling champion 10

I sure would like to add World Champion at the bottom in December .
Bluegrove Tx calling champion 09
Graham TX Jan.calling champion 10
Graham TX Feb. calling champion 10

Yes, Tim, this tells me a lot.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2010 11:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We are sure getting all knowed up on Clay Reid, ain't we? Thanks Al.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2010 11:39 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Well 2 out of 6 ain't bad. Better watch out he might be after your job [Smile]
Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2010 12:58 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang another WT versus FP debate and where is Ol Bill. Really though we use what we think is best and have confidance in. I have used a WT,Minaska, and now a cs-24 they all called coyotes. The WT was a cluster Blank, hobb cobbed job, so I decided reliability was important as what good is a caller that don;t work 15% of the time? I went to a minaska worked great killed some coyotes with it, I still think they have the edge on remote to unit reliability no matter cover or terrain. Then bought a CS-24 some say just a copy of the WT, but the only thing the same is the TOA speaker which is aftermarket for both compaines.

The CS-24 has some great features and good volume. I have plenty of good spounds to choose from heck one of my best distress sounds is from a critter that you have to drive 2 hrs to find in my area, coyotes don't seem to care. I think the coyote vocals have come along way with FP and cal's help. The Pup in distress 3 is top notch for sure. The coyote pair sound is great early on in the spring, I have brought coyotes out of dense cover the plane couldn';t see with it. The female howl is a good one too, I had 2 coyotes on an island of dirt smack dab in the middle of a sunflower field and brought that male out to within 40 yards while the plane watched from above. That was a funny one the plane was getting reay to make a pass on this coyote and I shot it right before they where going to dive on it.

I think timing, presentation and hearing something different in areas of calling pressure all make a differance, could be one brand over the other and visa versa. We all use what we think is best and gets responses for us. I have no doubt as FP moves forward they will take the lead in coyote vocals as they are the type of company that if they have a weakness they will find away to make it not an issue anymore, many people beat on them for their sounds, so they decided to go out and get better sounds, makes good business sense and I have no doubt they will continue on.

As fas as the bill Austin sound well it has killed a pile of coyotes thru the years TA, no doubt about that. Heck I had a mouth call of a female coyote on my minaska that was killer in late winter and early spring, who knows why but something they did not hear before. Are actual sounds better? I would say for the most part yes. I have found myself using more mixed sounds with good results at times of the year. Each to his own.

For the record rouge wolf and lenons all call are 2 of my go to lures for trapping coyotes [Big Grin]

I agree with Scott, Eastern SD has some very high coyote densitys, even after the plane has flown you can still find coyotes in many areas exspecially when most are doing recreation calling.

[ September 08, 2010, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2010 01:06 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"The caller is just dang near the same caller but the remote is far superior and I can put My own sounds and others onto it pretty simply"
---------------------------------------
That statement pretty much nailed the situation. Nobody has mentioned the FHSS technology that the CS-24 employs though. That technology is what allows the signal from the remote signal to cut through brush and such to reach the caller. Reliable remote control in less than ideal field conditions can really make a huge difference. Cal Taylor's new recordings of coyote vocals are priceless! Speaking of coyote vocals, I think I will record one of Jerry Hunsley's voice howls, and put it on my CS-24. Please don't tell Jerry though, I mean the guy is much bigger than me. [Wink]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2010 01:32 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
The other factor of a cs-24 I just ordered and put on 4 new sounds in less than 5 minutes from time of receiving them to the caller and remote!

2 newer coyote sounds, a killer hairy woodpecker and the adult cottontail. I betting that coyote sound will be a great locator and denning sound!

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2010 05:27 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you really put "champion" after winning a monthly contest?

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2010 05:54 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the day, mouthcalls were the only reliable choice.

You had a rabbit in distress and a imagination.

Voice howls and crude howlers appeared to let a caller enter into a coyotes world of vocalizations.

Coyote communication and coyote distress.

Records of various animal recordings and then tapes of the same and it changed again. It just wasn't reliable in the field. Spent a fortune on batteries!!

Only some of the true pioneers, some old ADC guys, some not, tried to figure out what coyotes were saying or not saying and use it to their advantage. At this point a very exclusive club.

IMO the last 20 years of advancements in technology, sounds, etc has given a person with little or no calling experience an arsenal of options never available to those previous.

At the push of a button he can have a howl 4-5 times louder than any mouthcall not knowing to not sound to male or to macho. Doesn't have a clue to what he or she just did and it effected a huge area.

Anytime I am ever asked about the use of coyote vocalizations by recreational callers I recomend they use other sounds mainly distress because you know they will be pushin buttons and playin stuff that shouldn't be used.

You try to explain how at times coyotes fear coyotes, other coyotes may just want to avoid a confrontation and others want to kick your ass. It's the same priciple as not using my decoy dogs in the winter it hurts me more than helps me. If I knew they were all going to be the kick ass coyotes everytime I would use them year round but they are not.

You also try and explain how a higher population will make coyote vocals less of a risk for a negative reaction. Coyotes tend to be more territorial etc.

You explain the advantages of locating and knowing numbers. Did they act agressively to the locating sounds and come toward or answer with long drawn out responces and move away. Family group together, numerous groups, singles out in the middle of nowhere etc. What are they in terrain wise,and why. Many of those things determine what I will use sound wise. IMO again I believe this area and sounds associated should be expanded as your experience in the field does and not right from the get go.

With the options I have on my WT I do not feel the need to go to howls all the time, I may progress to that if I am not seeing a responce from the coyotes I expect but I usually don't start with it. I've seen plenty of coyotes react negatively to a howl in that timeframe and yes also some to rabbit screams as well. The difference is I can go to something other than rabbit or a scenario of something and usually find one that works.

There are a few on here that I've hunted with who could attest to a complete change of sounds once a coyote is seen and you realize you need to change tactics. I've went from using nothing but rabbit all day and killin coyotes to on the next stand howls and pup distress on a drainage with multiple coyotes in it. Why? Hell I don't know it seemed like the thing to do from what I heard from locating them.

You can go from prey to another predator other than a coyote etc only limited by your imagination until you'll hit on something. I found a sequence of three sounds last year in the late Feb to Mar timeframe that had pairs coming that would not respond to distress or howls, they would answer and show but not commit in this heavily called areas. Numerous pairs in numerous areas. There are very few virgin ears here.

It was also very interesting to work up and down the river breaks, nothing gets hunted harder, and watch reactions of numerous coyotes traveling up and down the ice interacting with the established coyotes. A high pitched drawn out howl with numerous coyotes in sight before you ever make a sound was not what they wanted. Soft distress got the best responce on the first visits taking the over eager younger coyotes first and working up to the older pairs as the trips in continued. Killing what came in and changing up next time conditions allowed, maybe the next day or could be days later. Never had a trip in there without killing multiple coyotes til the thaw made it impossible to get there.

You could see the coyotes that wanted nothing to do with another coyote. While also seeing the more dominate coyotes showing their strength. You saw coyotes with that pants down around their ankles look when they heard a howl and those that would hackle up come charging never breaking stride the whole way. I really don't see much of a difference how fast or how slow they come to whatever sound. Seems to be more of a reflection of the coyotes personality vs the sound IMO.

With all that being said do you really want to tell a guy who just bought this new shiny horn to start howlin? I would rather he got the distress aspect down to where he is killin with distress and polishin all the other aspects of the sport before getting into that. My opinion.

I see this as two different deals, a handcaller with limited options and a E Caller with many more. If I only had mouthcalls I would use vocals more often for some of exact reasons stated before.

With E Callers I am coming up with more options as I go and being able to see reactions in this country really helps. These sounds or scenarios of sounds are tough to see or find if your a guy with a Mon. thru Fri job with limited time in the field. Normal guy can't spend the time or resources to see it happen enough to draw a conclusion, not all, but most.You've got to be out there using it trying different things.

On the flip side of this the other 8 months or so I call I rarely if ever use prey distress. Occasionally but not very dam often. Go figure.

As for WT vs FP, it is a Ford Chevy deal, I like WT, especially this new MA , for over five years I have used it whenever I am calling whatever. Our guy in Chamberlain got the ball rolling for me with his results from using the original ones we got. Sure changed a lot since then. I wasn't sure I wanted to carry this dam thing around but I am sure glad I did now. Kind of feel naked without it now.

Cal, you mentioned you were using the 24 now. Did you use anything, E Caller wise, before the 24? Again hope FP realizes what an asset you are!!

Kelly, my offer still stands for Pepper! I got a Cur lookin for a girlfriend! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2010 07:44 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy - about 10 days ago I got a good film clip of Pepper 2 days after she turned one I will show you sometime.
She worked 4 coyotes in on one stand like she had been doing it for years.
She may not do all I want a dog to do, but she sure has taken to working live coyotes.
I look forward to late Dec/Jan/Feb when I seem to call in alot of agressive pairs from this semi high density area. If she runs them off I will leave her at the house and carry the Jack.

I don't want to breed her yet, but may make you a deal later on. For now, I will keep feeding her and putting coyotes in front of her.

Stay after them
Kelly

edit cause I can't spell or type

[ September 08, 2010, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Jackson ]

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2010 03:09 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post Randy!
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2010 10:49 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
See if this one makes any sense...

One time when I was a little boy I found a brand spanking new unsharpened pencil... I quickly sat down on a slab of concrete and began rubbing the end of the pencil on the flat rough surface to sharpen it. I had a great idea, to spit first on the concrete then sharpen' Spit again and rotate the pencil some more. Man that spittle and concrete worked well together. Next thing you knew, all the little boys were spitting and rubbing and spitting and rubbing because it was the most efficient way to sharpen a new pencil.

It was my idea by the way...I invented it!

P.S. Hey Scott, great to see you around! Guess what? My chick had another little critter - Esther Delores [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Food supply must be great, my chick is really fertile!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2010 09:09 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Coyotes are social animals, period. Coyotes that are dispersing are in search of food, unoccupied habitat, and mates. The social behavior of ALL coyotes determines the importance of howling to their daily activities.

With that said, yes, loud agressive adult coyote howls can be a deterrant TO CERTAIN DISPERSING COYOTES UNDER CERTAIN SITUATIONS IF, I REPEAT "IF", you can actually isolate the loud agressive adult coyote howl as the deterrant as opposed to a plethora of other variables that deter coyotes in conjunction with that loud aggressive adult coyote howl. Many callers reach FALSE CONCLUSIONS when determining why coyotes react negatively to any given situation.

When a caller walks a short distance from a main traveled road, in a heavily called area, skylines themselves, walks all the way in on crunchy snow, then sits their ass down on a hill and blows a loud agressive adult coyote howl and watches as a young coyote moves away from them, you aren't going to convince me that this negative reaction was caused by the howl unless you can isolate the howl as the only deterrant.

Not to suggest that most callers make this mistake but many do. Enough that most opinions on what caused a coyote to move away are worth what you paid for them.

So what's the solution to not knowing what howls to use and when to use them? Simple, use a non agressive, non threatening younger coyote howl in each situation. If you don't know enough about coyotes to identify these howls and it's not labeled for you on your e-caller, you shouldn't be howling.

With the advent of electronics comes the advent of calls being labeled correctly by those selling them. During the peak of the dispersion, if you are working in areas with lots of young coyotes moving around and you are in doubt, use a young coyote howl. Problem solved. A NATURAL SOUNDING young coyote howl is not going to be a deterrant to a young dispersing coyote. If your howls don't sound natural, neither will your distress calls. There is a far better chance that you will run into a coyote that is educated to common distress calls that sound less than natural as opposed to howling that sounds less than natural. Even with educated coyotes, the odds are still in your favor to utilize howling. The advantages of howling mentioned previously will outweigh any disadvantages in most situations.

When I have seen a negative reaction from howling, I USUALLY credited the negative reaction to other factors rather than to the howl itself. Howling is simply too natural of an occurance to normal coyote behavior to be a deterrant in and of itself.

Here are some other variables to consider when trying to isolate coyote howling as a deterrant:

Where did the howl come from? Was it coming from the road (source of danger), a place of continous human activity (source of danger), was the howl preceeded by vehicle noise (source of danger), was the howl followed with being detected by the coyote, was the coyote heading in another direction anyway, too much volume to sound natural, too much distortion noise from a bad recording and cheap caller, too many coyotes in the area to elicit a response, etc., etc.

The list of legitimate deterrants is long and distinguished without isolating the howl as the means to a negative reaction.

It will be a rare occurance indeed when a negative coyote reaction can be acreditted to a howl of a young dispersing coyote. If young coyotes head the other way, there is a lot of reasons that are not even associated with the howl itself.

If coyote vocalizations are labeled incorrectly on e-callers, AS SOME HAVE BEEN, it won't be long until someone who understands coyote vocalizations will point out the inaccuracies to the manufacturer. Due to that fact, most coyote vocalizations are now correctly labeled.

As an example, one electronic call manufacturer originally labeled a submissive adult coyote vocalization as an adult coyote distress vocalization. Now it has been correctly labeled.

It can't be any simpler than pressing "young female coyote howl" on your e-caller or using a high pitched short howl on your hand calls. This isn't rocket science.

I am also not an advocate of using coyote vocalizations alone. I am talking about using them in conjunction with prey distress sounds to appeal to the highest percentage of coyotes.

When trying to appeal to the highest percentage of coyotes available, it's important to create a sound combination that appears natural such as a young dispersing coyote that just stumbled onto a rabbit. That's going to appeal to more coyotes in more situations than just the rabbit based on common sense. Most young dispersing coyotes are going to have to check that out unless they are not in the mood for anything or they know you are there. Some days the fish don't bite and it doesn't have a damn thing to do with the bait.

~SH~

[ September 13, 2010, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Wily E ]

IP: Logged
Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2010 10:23 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
3 Toes: "When the plane is going in to central SD and having 50 and 60 coyote days I say that is a reasonably large population."

I agree but that is less than half of what they used to kill in a day in that same area in previous years (along the Missouri River -- before mange) and less than half of what they have killed in a day in some eastern SD counties with more open ground in recent years.

As a general "rule of thumb" (not etched in concrete), in SD the further west you go the less coyotes you will run into with the exception of the Cheyenne River break country but those coyotes are not as accessible by aircraft.

In most cases, the lowest coyote numbers are in the counties with the highest sheep numbers as it should be under legitimate predator control efforts. Historically, the highest coyote populations were along the river with the highest populations of that area being in the Southern counties. Mange changed that to a degree as well as coyote expansion into Eastern SD. Now there is pockets of coyotes in Eastern SD that are as good as they used to be along the Missouri River.

3 Toes: "I realize this isn't country that isn't being worked excessively, but the numbers don't lie."

I'm assuming you meant "....this IS country that ISN'T being worked excessively".

You are right, the numbers don't lie if the country is accessible to aerial hunting and coyote movements and hunting conditions are comparable.

The largest concentrations of coyotes also tend to yield the largest concentration of coyote calling experts. Figure that one out. LOL!

The Cheyenne River breaks can hold a lot of coyotes (pending mange) but they can be difficult to get out of the big cedar pockets with an airplane making some of those hunts less than what they would be in open country.

The highest coyote populations ever recorded was about 10 miles S. of Gillette this summer. Haha! Just razzin' yah.

Call me sometime in the near future. Have to visit with you about a potential employment opportunity for a friend of mine.

~SH~

[ September 13, 2010, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Wily E ]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2010 11:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice, Scott.

I agree with you about using coyote vocalizations exclusively, regardless of season. I always like to use both, with maybe 15%, 85% mix in favor of distress. Why? Can't tell you? I just think it is far easier to over do it with howls than prey sounds. Every time I howl, I'm taking a calculated risk, maybe excepting a lost pup sound. Even knowing what a specific howl represents, it seems to me that there will be coyotes receptive of the sound and maybe a couple that may react negatively...which is difficult to determine unless you have a visual on the coyote and personally, I don't like to howl when I have a coyote in sight; unless he's hung up behind a bush. And, in that case, I don't have a good solution anyway. Except resorting to extremely low volume distress sounds. It's amazing that they can hear muted sound from 500 yards that I can't hear from less than 50 feet.

Tell me again how dreadfull my voice howling is. I forget? lol

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2010 12:31 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to say thanks to all those that contributed to this thread. It has been one of the more informative threads I have read in a long time.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2010 12:35 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Good read gentlemen a lot of good points here. I'm with Randy that when i'm talking to a recreational caller that hunts my area i tell them to keep to the distress sounds until later in the year but that is just me being selfish LOL and trying to make my job easier when i get the call for the ranches that he's hunting.

I have seen a negative reaction to howls or at least what i consider a negative reaction with young coyotes (more hang ups and really checking the situation out ect) i have had them run me over also though. I use howls but don't generally start off with one. They have there place and are a better tool for the guys that get to study their coyotes and know what they are dealing with as far as the coyotes in the area than it is for the competetion callers and "cold calling". Just my two cents good conversation.

P.S i don't care about the brand of callers if the sound is good it's good. I don't use electronics for any of my Howling, and my best distress sound is one that i recorded myself.

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2010 01:12 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
How often do you hear an uninitiated “I’m a dispersing nine month old coyote” type howl? Or for that matter, how often can you solicit a howl back from a dispersing nine month old coyote? I’ll assume that most newly dispersed coyote let their nose do the talking.
Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2010 01:38 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Dennis.
I have a pup howl that I use and it works like magic in cold calling situations but to tell the truth Ive never heard a pup use a sound like that ever. so for me some things work some things dont and I dont always know why , and when I think I do I could be wrong!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
coyotehunter
Member # 3282

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2010 06:53 PM      Profile for coyotehunter           Edit/Delete Post 
interesting posts............got my opinions on howling at fall coyotes. to many individual situations to start trying to cover all the bases. what works great in one area may or may not work another. Densities and pressure dictate what you can get away with. If you want to howl on every stand or distress call on every stand...........well if you think you got every situation covered doing the same thing every time you go out...oh and by the way....I got the CS-24 and the remote stinks in cold weather. to many issues to cover here. line of sight, hard to manipulate with gloves on, cold weather performance.............my opinion. Can't I get just a remote with about 5 sounds with a couple big buttons. great posts you guys.
Posts: 55 | From: west | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2010 06:59 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
coyotehunter, don't know what kind of problems you are having with the CS-24, but line of sight sure shouldn't be one. As far as 5 sounds go, why not set up your 10 presets to suit you and just use them. If you don't need 10, set up 5.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters