The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » To howl or not to howl (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: To howl or not to howl
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2010 04:53 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know how the FP coyote sounds can be more productive than the WT coyote sounds because you can't get any more realism in a recorded adult coyote vocalization than WT puts out. The new FP units may have some adult coyote vocalizations (howls) that are just as good as the best WT sounds. To date I haven't heard them. I'm simply saying, you are going to have to prove to me that they are BETTER than the best WT sounds.
So in your years of experience, you haven't found that one dying wabbit recording (for whatever reason) seemed to out produce a different dying wabbit recording? I personally am not saying they are "better" because I haven't played with the WT sounds much. But possibly Kelly has and and for him one out produces the other. I know that I have several pup distress sounds (all real) and one outshines all the others in coyote reaction. Damned if I know why, but it does. They all sound similar to me. But they don't to a coyote! [Big Grin]

[ September 04, 2010, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2010 06:35 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
3 toes: "So in your years of experience, you haven't found that one dying wabbit recording (for whatever reason) seemed to out produce a different dying wabbit recording?"

No, I'm saying that in my years of experience I have seen too many variables that contribute to success or failure to be able to isolate on specific factor and credit it to success or failure.

I am not saying that one recording can't outproduce another. I'm saying that you would have to isolate every other factor in order to attribute success to it.

For example, if you just happened to use sound #1 on days when it was calm and clear and you just happened to use sound #2 on days when it was balmy, sound #1 would reach more coyotes than sound #2 creating the perception that sound #1 was better. Was it?

Another example, if you just happend to use sound #1 in areas with limited calling pressure and you happened to use sound #2 in areas with a lot of calling pressure, it would appear that sound #1 outproduced sound #2. Did it?

Another example, if you just happened to use sound #1 on days when coyotes were moving and you happened to use sound #2 on days when coyotes were not moving, it would appear sound #1 outperformed sound #2. Did it?

Too many variables to draw hard fast conclusions of one sound outproducing another.

It's like listening to some trapper tell me, "this is a real good lure". I can list 20 variables that would bias that opinion so fast it would make your head spin. Wind direction, humidity, coyote population, prey availability, human disturbance, etc. etc.

I'm not buying it without knowing if the variables could be isolated.

~SH~

[ September 04, 2010, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Wily E ]

IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2010 07:59 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Coming in on this one late here, I’ve only picked up on the new tangent of FP/WT sounds. As for the original question posed in the title of the thread: I howl from September to March. I apply howls of various aggression and frequency throughout the year with good results. I do not allow my own logical assumptions to determine which sounds I’ll use and when… I continually dabble until I find a niche that exploits the triggers of my coyotes at “THAT” time. I expect it to change throughout the season to some degree as coyotes mature and develop more life experiences but this pattern holds fairly close from year to year. Generally speaking, there is usually a howl that will work.

For years the Foxpro vs. Wildlife Tech debate has raged online: primarily driven by people who never tested/used the unit they claimed was inferior or those with an agenda to wear a hat.
An unbiased side-by-side comparison was quite enlightening IMHO, as WT had every base thoroughly covered (Volume/Sound/Quality/Remote/ect). One company and its ownership have been very unpopular online while the other is quite trendy and well received in the mainstream. I think this has played a major role in stirring discussion on internet forums that equated FP & WT: but to me there has never been a comparison in the actual product.

It wasn't until March of this year that I heard/saw a Foxpro unit that was reasonably close (in my own opinion of what makes a good caller) to Wildlife Technologies. The sounds that Cal Taylor, Steve Dillon and others (?) assembled are top notch. It doesn’t take a long list of variables to determine that those sounds could consistently kill coyotes for us mediocre recreationalists.

Again, driven primarily by my positive & negative experiences with using various WT sounds on coyotes over the years… I look for a handful of indicators in a sound. Sometimes that is intensity in a distress cry; sometimes it is throatiness in a vocalization. Whatever it is, it has proven to trigger a spark in my coyotes over the years. Those little indicators are evident in several of the new Foxpro sounds, perhaps even amplified in some cases beyond what we’ve seen in the WT library. I believe there is a coyote pup sound in the new Foxpro library that would outperform the legacy WT pups. Just a hunch. There are also a few vocals and a couple distress sounds that hold incredible potential in dealing with coyotes in my area. I wish I had the time to invest in testing the new Foxpro sound library the way I have WT in the past. I’m sure there are some real “button pushers” in there.

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2010 08:43 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
It is no accident that Clay Reid, Kelly Jackson, and many other good coyote hunters find the CS-24 and the Foxpro 24 bit sounds superior to W.T. sounds. They are better from the word go.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2010 01:28 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Those variables are exactly what I'm talking about Wily. You, I, and a few others do this shit day after day after day in every condition with all variables thrown in. And you know as well as I do that certain trapping lures as well as certain sounds just continue to work again and again, better than some others that are usable in certain conditions. Sure, about anything will work in areas of high numbers and low pressure, but in the opposite conditions that we usually deal with, and the amount of time we spend in the hills, the cream always rises, whether its M44 lure, trap lure, or calling sounds.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2010 03:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure there is a lot of wisdom rattling around in this thread. The tried and true sound has comfort, no doubt, but scrolling through what is available, occasionally, and with due regard for the cosmic allignments, occasionally, it amounts to "something different" which turns the trick.

I am convinced that there is some Ford/Chevy loyalty in the WT versus Foxpro argument. But, nobody seems to know exactly where the WT studio quality sounds come from. On the other hand, with Byron, Cal and Dave, you can have an element of trust. At least we know these guys.

The quality of WT sounds has never been questioned, but the quality of Foxpro sounds has steadily improved to the point where I think parity exists? Knowing which button to push and when to do it will always be important, regardless of who's sounds you use.

I'm going to buy a CS24 and make sure I have sounds recorded by Cal and Dave. Why? Because I don't care to knock on Bill's door and put up with the bullshit.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2010 06:33 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Cal's coyote vocals on my own CS24, and they are awesome. His coyote pup distress recordings are very good also.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2010 08:03 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Possumal: "It is no accident that Clay Reid, Kelly Jackson, and many other good coyote hunters find the CS-24 and the Foxpro 24 bit sounds superior to W.T. sounds. They are better from the word go."

Better from the word go???

Can you present me the results of the side by side "Pepsi Challenge" tests you did to reach that conclusion?

Can you list all the different coyote populations, the different degrees of calling pressure and human disturbance, the different weather conditions, the different habitats, the different prey species available in different areas, the different seasons, etc. etc. that you did your side by side testing in to add credibility to your opinion?

Or...... could your opinion have something to do with the "FOX PRO FIELD STAFF" insignia?

Unless you did an extensive side by side test and tried to sort out the many variables that contribute to success or failure, I'll consider your opinion very biased.

Leonard: "I am convinced that there is some Ford/Chevy loyalty in the WT versus Foxpro argument."

Exactly! Along with who is humping whose leg and for what reasons.

3 Toes: "And you know as well as I do that certain trapping lures as well as certain sounds just continue to work again and again, better than some others that are usable in certain conditions."

I know that some trappers pay attention to the variables that contribute to success and failure and they try to sort out those variables. I also know a lot of trappers that continue to use what worked once without trying to determine whether something else would work just as good if not better. You can't argue that. I have been around too long. Doesn't matter whether it's sounds or smells. Trappers and callers become biased towards what worked once. Look how long it took for the calling world to transition from rabbit, to howling, to pup distress, etc.

Lets use M-44 bait tests as an example. Back in the early "90"s, I know three guys in Western SD that were testing different M-44 baits. Each guy had 225 - 300 coyotes per year on M-44s alone. Certain baits continued to outperform the others for all three men based on coyote reaction in snow, pulls in various weather conditions, pulls in different seasons, etc. etc. All three guys had respectables populations of coyotes at that time and all three had similar conditions to work with. From those tests we developed 2 - 3 M-44 baits that worked well for all of us and passed those formulas on to others. When those baits were tried by other trappers in other areas and other states, the opinions were as varied as the weather. Now did they work for some and not for others due to different variables or did they work for some and not for others because if they didn't work for them once for whatever reason, they were not given a fair test after that point?

Now if I was a betting man, I would bet that "trapper bias" played a bigger factor on those opinions than objective testing did. I know trappers and callers are no different. They become biased to what works. They continue to grab their favorite lures for their favorite locations and grab the test lures for those secondary spots and when the test lures don't work they are not tested again.

Does the cream rise to the top because it's better or because we believe it's better so we keep grabbing for it?

I tried an M-44 bait that was tried and true for the ND WS boys and it is now one of my best M-44 baits. The reason it's one of my best M-44 baits is because I gave the ND boys the benefit of the doubt. I trusted the formula enough to keep using it even when it didn't shine above what I had been using.

Trapper and caller bias is alive and well.

~SH~

[ September 05, 2010, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Wily E ]

Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2010 08:19 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott. I'm certainly not embarassed by my affiliation with Foxpro, but that connection did not lead me to make the statements about the CS-24, the Foxpro library, and obvious preference expressed by Clay Reid, Kelly Jackson, etc..

I had a W.T. unit and hunted it hard for three years, and experienced all the negative crap that the Unmentionable One can dish out, including out and out screwing friends of mine. The CS-24 and the improved Foxpro sound library, combined with the FHSS technology make Foxpro superior in all areas to the W.T. units. The units being programmable add lots to the superiority.

I am proud of Foxpro advertising the truth and actually having 24 bit sounds and an attitude that serves the customers. I also like the fact they offer variety to their customers instead of taking the attitude that they know best always.

Good hunting at ya.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2010 10:55 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Awhile back Andy asked other WT users what sounds work best for them on their WT and my reply was almost all of them that I have on my calling unit.. The same question was asked on another board and I gave the same answer and also got the same results with others saying that I should have a few favorite go to sounds or sounds that worked better over others.
Like Scott mentioned, time, weather conditions,the type of coyotes male, female, pups,have they been called before or burned and so on play a big role on what sounds I use.
Some sounds produce better on windy days over other sounds and viceversa for calm days. Some hard headed coyotes may require me to use a series of coyote vocals to bring them in close enough for a shot and yet these same sounds may send a coyote off into the other direction if used...
A caller needs to keep a open mind and not be affraid to use other sounds and keep useing them and not get hooked on just one or two sounds.
I will admitt I do have two sounds I don't use very often and they are pup in distress and challenge howl. They both work but found I can bring the coyotes in by useing other sounds from my library...
If you reread Scotts posts there are a few more Gold nugets in them... [Big Grin]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2010 11:40 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I tried an M-44 bait that was tried and true for the ND WS boys and it is now one of my best M-44 baits. The reason it's one of my best M-44 baits is because I gave the ND boys the benefit of the doubt. I trusted the formula enough to keep using it even when it didn't shine above what I had been using.

So you are still admitting to having a favorite lure. Just as you have favorite sounds. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2010 04:50 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
AL: "I had a W.T. unit and hunted it hard for three years, and experienced all the negative crap that the Unmentionable One can dish out, including out and out screwing friends of mine. The CS-24 and the improved Foxpro sound library, combined with the FHSS technology make Foxpro superior in all areas to the W.T. units. The units being programmable add lots to the superiority."

Al: "I am proud of Foxpro advertising the truth and actually having 24 bit sounds and an attitude that serves the customers. I also like the fact they offer variety to their customers instead of taking the attitude that they know best always."

Your point is taken from the standpoint that there is more reasons than sound quality to prefer one electronic call over the other. Durability, user friendly, customer service, price, lack of arrogance, etc. etc.

You will get absolutely no argument from me on that standpoint.

With that said, we still have one comparison left on the table. Will the Fox Pro sounds outperform the WT sounds in a side by side "Pepsi Challenge" test considering all of the variables that can lead to success and failure? I highly doubt it because I am very cognizant of the number of coyotes I call vs. the number available due to previous locating of those coyotes.

As mentioned previously, I believe the NEW Fox Pro electronic calls have some excellent distress sounds that are every bit as good as the WT distress sounds. Some may even be better. Where my opinion differs is on the coyote vocalizations. Due to my style of calling and the conditions I call under, certain coyote vocalizations are very important to my arsenal whereas, they might not be as important to the recreational coyote hunter where distress calls rule.

Again, I would not cry too many tears if I was given no choice but to use the new Fox Pro unit but the new Mighty Atom is a much better unit than the old WTs.

I only have two criticisms of the new WT units. First, I would like to see bigger thumb knobs to unscrew the cap from the battery area and I would like to see more room between those thumb screws and the handle. Second, I would like to see a better seal on the battery compartment cap for wet conditions. Outside of that, the new Mighty Atom is a huge improvement over the older unit which, as I said, proves that the old units needed improving.

The old saying, "The Customer is always right" is very true. Where did arguing with a customer ever get a salesman?

Cal: "So you are still admitting to having a favorite lure. Just as you have favorite sounds."

Absolutely but I didn't get to a favorite M-44 bait without extensive testing which considered the many variables that can lead to success or failure. 750 coyotes per year for three men, year round, under varying conditions is about as good of representation as you are going to get. That's a far cry from someone saying "that lure really works good" just because it worked once then was grabbed first from thereon.

My M-44 bait search was far more extensive than my sound search. I found success with certain electronic and hand-held call sounds and kept using them. So bias towards certain sounds exists even with me when I am as cognizant of the variables as anyone can be. I might have found more success in certain situations with other sounds had I not been biased towards the sounds I prefer.

For instance, I have had other WT users tell me about the successes they had with certain sounds. I have used those same sounds and didn't seem to have the same level of success that I did with my usual favorites so I don't use them much. I'm still searching for those silver bullets and when to apply them especially in areas of heavy calling pressure which is usually identified after the fact. LOL

The more one learns about this game, the more you realize how much there is to learn. The bottomless pit of knowledge and understanding is in the area of learning how CERTAIN coyote behavior changes from area to area and from season to season while some habits remain the same.

Consider yourself fortunate to be in an area of high sheep production where you are really challenged to produce certain coyotes. That situation will force your learning curve far more than someone doing wildlife protection work or recreational calling on cattlemen in the summer where you are just doing population reduction at your own leasure. I live for those challenges.

~SH~

[ September 05, 2010, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Wily E ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2010 05:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to think that (for some of us) hunt contests help distill methods and practices. That is the yardstick I use in evaluating performance. Animals called and bodycount.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2010 07:24 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As mentioned previously, I believe the NEW Fox Pro electronic calls have some excellent distress sounds that are every bit as good as the WT distress sounds. Some may even be better. Where my opinion differs is on the coyote vocalizations. Due to my style of calling and the conditions I call under, certain coyote vocalizations are very important to my arsenal whereas, they might not be as important to the recreational coyote hunter where distress calls rule.

But since you haven't heard or used the newest coyote vocalizations released by FoxPro in the last couple years and they haven't been through your stringent testing how can you make a blanket statement that the WT coyote vocalizations are better? I'm not here to argue caller A vs caller B, but the sounds that I have been releasing to FoxPro and the ones we are working on now are higher sound quality than WT's, and through my (and several other guys that do this for a living also, like you) testing and hundreds of dead ADC coyotes, I can say that, in my opinion, WT has NOTHING on FP in actual coyote vocalizations. You are the one that began this with the opinion that new stuff comes up and needs tested all the time, in lures etc. so my opinion is that you need to test all the new vocalizations out by FP and develop your own opinion on the effectivness of them. Give them a fair shake and you will be pleasantly surprised. [Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2010 08:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Cal, and I would appreciate a list from you as to the sounds you recommend. Send me an email, okay? I need to get my CS24 ordered pretty quick.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2010 08:05 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
3 Toes: "But since you haven't heard or used the newest coyote vocalizations released by FoxPro in the last couple years and they haven't been through your stringent testing how can you make a blanket statement that the WT coyote vocalizations are better?"

There is two parts of that paragraph that were taken out of context with what I stated previously.

1. I didn't say I hadn't heard any of the new Fox Pro sounds Cal. This past spring myself and another ADC man were in a room at a meeting and played through the latest Fox Pro and WT sounds. To my trained ear, I didn't hear any Fox Pro coyote vocalizations that were any better than my favorite WT coyote vocalizations. For clarification, I am talking about a comparison between the adult coyote howls.

Now here's the disclaimer. If this Fox Pro unit did not have all the coyote vocalizations (howls) or if there has been new coyote vocalizatoins that have come out since then, then yes I would certainly like to hear them.

Now as far as stringent side by side testing, I think with all my years of ADC calling and competition calling in numerous states, I have a pretty good idea what a quality coyote vocalization sounds like which is the same reason why I stated that I believe one of your distress sounds would be killer and is better than anything I have. I am giving credit where it's due here. I know coyote howls like a mother knows the cry of her own baby. You should give me that much in return.

2. I did not say WT coyote vocalizations are better. I said and meant that, based on what I heard, I still preferred the coyote vocalizations (howls) that I already have with the WT.

Next, please consider that I have no loyalty to any particular company other than what I believe will work best. I don't have any biases here. As a matter of fact, I have dealt with the same "the company is always right" WT attitude that others have dealt with. My bias is only towards what I believe will work best for my style of calling.

To elaborate further, a side by side "Pepsi Challenge" type test would certainly sort out which distress calls would work better. As I mentioned previously, I have no doubts that the results of comparing distress calls between the two calls would be comparable.

Regarding the coyote howls, I would like to do a side by side field comparison on them as well but based on how many coyote vocalizations I have heard over the years, I seriously doubt I would see much difference.

I'm not going to run out and buy a FP if it's just as good as what I have. I would only be interested if it's proven to me to be better.

2 Toes: "....the sounds that I have been releasing to FoxPro and the ones we are working on now are higher sound quality than WT's, and through my (and several other guys that do this for a living also, like you) testing and hundreds of dead ADC coyotes, I can say that, in my opinion, WT has NOTHING on FP in actual coyote vocalizations.

So are you saying you compared the two side by side? If not, then you are just as guilty of what you are accusing me of. Haha! You know as well as I do that you have more bias in this than I do.

So tell me Cal, what makes you believe the sounds you are releasing to Fox Pro and the sounds you are working on now are higher quality than WT sounds?

To my way of thinking, there is a lot of factors that contribute to sound quality. You can have the highest quality recording equipment going but if the vocalization you are recording is not the classic "Hey, who is out there" coyote howl that I need, I might not get the reaction I am looking for. I've located coyotes in many states and I know what turns them on and I have a real good idea, based on sign and what I've killed, how many coyotes I could expect to answer me.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I am only saying you are going to have to prove it to me because I've heard sales pitches before and you know I'm not a follower.

To be perfectly clear, without further testing, I have not heard a Fox Pro coyote howl yet that I liked better than the WT sounds I am currently using and unless you can prove to me that they are better than the WT vocalizations, I have no reason to change.

As far as I'm concerned there is not a lot of room for improvement with the WT coyote vocalizations from the new Mighty Atom.

Think about this, consider how many coyotes have been called up with the piss poor FP flashlight sounds that you used to use. I have no doubts a higher percentage could be called with better quality sounds but I'm not so foolish as to deny the level of success that was achieved with poor recordings. The WT sounds are a lot better quality than that.

Sorry Pal, I ain't biting yet.

~SH~

[ September 06, 2010, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Wily E ]

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2010 08:52 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen that F-P has a female invite recording that was recorded by Bill Austin. How would you F-P users rate this sound? clarity, and loudness..

--------------------

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2010 08:57 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So tell me Cal, what makes you believe the sounds you are releasing to Fox Pro and the sounds you are working on now are higher quality than WT sounds?

Higher quality in the actual recorded sound. Better equipment and recording location.

quote:
So are you saying you compared the two side by side? If not, then you are just as guilty of what you are accusing me of. Haha! You know as well as I do that you have more bias in this than I do.

I have heard the WT coyote sounds. Several of them while hunting with you! And yes, of course I'm biased to the sounds that I have personally recorded. I have spent untold amounts of time recording and picking through recordings to find the howl or howls that I want. Same with the pup distress sounds. The equipment used to play them is secondary to my own personal pride in the sounds that I have came up with for FP. But I give them alot of credit for having the desire and talent to move forward from the sounds they originally started with and to move from the old flashlight model to what we have now.

quote:
To my way of thinking, there is a lot of factors that contribute to sound quality. You can have the highest quality recording equipment going but if the vocalization you are recording is not the classic "Hey, who is out there" coyote howl that I need, I might not get the reaction I am looking for. I've located coyotes in many states and I know what turns them on and I have a real good idea, based on sign and what I've killed, how many coyotes I could expect to answer me.

I know how important location is for many factors of what we do. As a indicator, ask your pilot to ask his dad who he thinks is the most likely in all the guys he flys for (and has ever flown for) to get more coyotes to howl and locate for the plane. And we are talking extremely tough coyotes. It's not even something I have brought up with him, but I'm fairly sure of his answer.

quote:
Once again, the actual digital quality of the recording, and as the second factor, the guys that are testing them and using them before they are released. Usually, myself and two other trappers in the neighboring county (both of which you also know). A small test, I know. But actual coyote reaction to sounds is the final determining factor. I have had sounds and howls that to my ears sounded like exactly what I wanted and had poor coyote reaction, and to the opposite, sounds I wasn't that impressed with that produced consistant good results. Why, I don't know. Like a wise man once said, "only the yippers know, and they ain't talking!" [Big Grin]

quote:
Sorry Pal, I ain't biting yet.

You might soon. I am still recording and working on new sounds. When was the last time your favorite brand released a new sound?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2010 10:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, send me a list of your recommended sounds. I'm ready to order. ElBee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2010 11:16 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cal, send me a list of your recommended sounds. I'm ready to order
YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2010 11:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting a free buckethead!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2010 11:35 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll get on it today Leonard!

--------------------

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2010 12:26 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd appreciate that list too Cal.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2010 12:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Got it! Thanks Cal, appreciate it. ElBee.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2010 12:58 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
3 Toes: "I have heard the WT coyote sounds. Several of them while hunting with you!"

I'll take that as a "NO" that like me, you have not done a side by side "Pepsi Challenge" comparison.

3 Toes: "I have spent untold amounts of time recording and picking through recordings to find the howl or howls that I want. Same with the pup distress sounds."

I have no doubts that your efforts were a great contribution to the company.

3 Toes: "But I give them alot of credit for having the desire and talent to move forward from the sounds they originally started with and to move from the old flashlight model to what we have now."

No doubt and I can say the same for the "Mighty Atom".

3 Toes: "As a indicator, ask your pilot to ask his dad who he thinks is the most likely in all the guys he flys for (and has ever flown for) to get more coyotes to howl and locate for the plane."

That's good. As it should be. You can ask your pilot to ask his son the same question or his gunner.

Just as I have personal goals in coyote calling competitions, I have goals while aerial hunting. Each time that plane flies for me, if ground conditions are favorable, it is my personal goal to spot or locate 30% - 50% of the coyotes that are killed with the plane. I have achieved that goal many times.

I'll make you a friendly wager right now that I could go in anywhere behind you with the WT and get the same coyotes to answer on a following day as long as you left them alone after they answered you. I had visions of you with a Gatling gun before I finished the sentence. I'll send the Sherriff along with you to keep you honest......I suppose I'll have to do a background check on him too. LOL!

~SH~

[ September 06, 2010, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Wily E ]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters