The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » To howl or not to howl (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: To howl or not to howl
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2010 04:59 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you are having a problem, Foxpro will fix it.
and fix it,
and fix it,
and ...

[ September 14, 2010, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2010 05:00 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I will say the CS24 works better and is more reliable than my FX-3 was.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2010 07:22 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
You know PA, your comments of never having a problem just sent any credability you had with me right out the window. The fact that you are a rep for fp, and given that others have seen the same issues I have, really makes me wonder what your experience is. I never trashed the fp cs24. On the contrary, I stated I would probably own one before the season started for me. As far as ecalls go....they all have a potential for not working when needed. They are a damn mass of electronics put together by the lowest bidder. Another good reason to always have mouth calls. If the cs24 is as infallible as you claim, do you think you could talk Steve and Mike into building cell phones and computers.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2010 07:33 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
CrossJ, did you not read my post completely? I clearly said that obviously you can have a problem. I didn't say you didn't have a problem or that any of the other guys didn't have a problem. I said I had not had any problems in testing 4 CS-24's and 1 Fury, and that is the truth. It is also true that Foxpro will give you good customer service if you need it.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2010 08:17 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
when things slow down I'm going to wally world to by a small tripod and the air parts Al uses on his setup.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
coyotehunter
Member # 3282

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2010 08:17 PM      Profile for coyotehunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I will say that Fox Pros customer services has always been great. I will be sending my unit in and I am sure they will turn it around as soon as possible. I would suggest to anyone else who is having issues to contact them and give them a chance at getting the problem addressed. My opinions about the remote are more directed on me wanting something very simple and durable. I do think they put out a quality product that they will stand behind. The debate is always around the WT unit............I have never personally used one. I have been on stand with a guy who does use his a lot and it sounded fine.
Posts: 55 | From: west | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2010 09:38 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
While you guys are getting youre F-P's repaired I'll be out calling coyotes this week with my old reliable WT. [Razz]

Since the cs-24 is a clone to the WT then maybe you should take a look at the stand I use for mine. Its adjustable and can hang from a fence or tree or fence post or just set it on the ground... http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/Toys/IMG_2063.jpg[/IMG]]  -

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2010 10:08 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm way more impressed by the camo job than the light stand!

Just so you know, the Foxpro is not a clone of WT. The TOA speaker isn't WT's design... it is an off the shelf mass produced part, that is where the similarity exists.

Which is better? I would say whichever one you use on any given day. I've hunted behind both and there is very little to no difference other than one is pre programmed with Allah's favorite sounds and the other is user programmable.

Both are over priced and prone to failure. A simplified programmable version of either at about half the cost would be a winner.

I would also like to see a user friendly remote with about half the buttons and features... you just don't need them. And why would you need to glue raised buttons on a properly designed remote unit? Don't these guys know we wear gloves in the Winter?

Where's your buckethead mount Timmy? Maybe you should send it to Al!!! [Razz]

IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 04:15 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just so you know, the Foxpro is not a clone of WT. The TOA speaker isn't WT's design... it is an off the shelf mass produced part, that is where the similarity exists.

Yep I read that on P.M. a few times also so it must be true. Anyway they both use the same bracket for holding it or mounting it to a stand...

quote:
And why would you need to glue raised buttons on a properly designed remote unit? Don't these guys know we wear gloves in the Winter?

I wear a thin pair of leather gloves in the winter when calling and don't need the raised buttons for day time use. For me the buttons come in handy at nite when I'm locateing..

quote:
Where's your buckethead mount Timmy? Maybe you should send it to Al!!!
You won't catch me useing that stupid bucket. Besides I think it needs more testing before its put on the shelves. Kelly could send one to Andy for further testing but it may take a few years before we hear the results. [Big Grin]

quote:
Both are over priced and prone to failure. A simplified programmable version of either at about half the cost would be a winner.
I feel the same way about youre hand calls, you should be giveing them away. Problem is finding someone who would want one.. [Razz]

[ September 15, 2010, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 10 posted September 15, 2010 04:53 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yep I read that on P.M. a few times also so it must be true. Anyway they both use the same bracket for holding it or mounting it to a stand
Both the SC610 and SC615 use that same bracket, it comes directly from Toa with that bracket... standard off the shelf.

quote:
I feel the same way about youre hand calls, you should be giveing them away. Problem is finding someone who would want one...
Good luck trying to buy one! I make'm and I donate em, don't really sell them. You're probably right... no body wants one, especially you, since you wouldn't know which end to blow anyway. [Razz]

Pretty good come back Timmy, I was being a little hard on you. [Wink]

I just don't see why you think a WT is any higher quality or will call a coyote any better when the sound reproduced by both units can only reach the level of quality in the speaker. It's all a matter of physics. 350hz-12.5khz is the same from both units... period!

Nikonut

[ September 15, 2010, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: Nikonut ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 06:34 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep I read that on P.M. a few times also so it must be true. Anyway they both use the same bracket for holding it or mounting it to a stand
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both the SC610 and SC615 use that same bracket, it comes directly from Toa with that bracket... standard off the shelf.

Is'nt that what I just said??? in above post..

quote:
I just don't see why you think a WT is any higher quality or will call a coyote any better when the sound reproduced by both units can only reach the level of quality in the speaker. It's all a matter of physics. 350hz-12.5khz is the same from both units...
I'm sure the F-P is just as good or most of the members here would'nt be buying one or already have one..
One thing I do know is the F-P is'nt gonna do any better than the WT and those that are buying one or plan to get one in the future are going to be disappointed...
From my exspearence the WT works great with both young and old coyotes and even on those so called call shy coyotes. Just have to learn to use it!! Some members don't have the patence to work a stuburn coyote and the F-P is'nt going to cure the problem or any special sounds they think they need to have on the caller....
Anyway I don't have a F-P and don't plan on getting one so I'll just take youre word for it that the F-P is just as good.. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 07:28 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Those of you who are having problems with the remote control not working at longer ranges, I suggest you check to be sure that the batteries in the remote are good. I bought a multimeter to check the voltage in my batteries. If the batteries are good, then contact Foxpro. I think that those of you who would like a caller with less bells and whistles are running on same wave length that I am. The more electronic gizmo's installed in a caller are just more gizmo's to go wrong. I would love to see Foxpro build a caller with signal hopping technology, but uses a remote control with the bank system somewhat similar to the old Minaska Bandit. A lot of old fashioned guys like me would prefer a keep it simple caller. Even the old Minaska system had problems though. No matter what they build, we are still going to need service after the sale.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 08:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe TA's WT loyalty is due to status? After all, his ADC friends use it and if you want to look like a top notch hunter, you need to show up with the same gear. I'm surprised his modified stand isn't welded to a backwards ball cap for his 360's since the buckethead would freeze right to his head. You know, like sticking your tongue on a frozen bumper? Besides, why does he even need an ecaller? Ain't he the road champ? I heard that a long time ago, must be true?

Oh! Locating! Right?

Good hunting. LB
(just kidding, Tim, we love ya! Your stuff is just as entertaining as Scott's, but different)

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 08:40 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I am the oddball here, but it is kind of interesting reading everyone tout the graces of FP vs. WT.

Got rid of an FX-5 and bought one of the Kanati-Tek calls and haven't been disappointed...carry on guys!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 08:54 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
TA17 wrote: The WT works well on both young and old coyotes. Any caller will work well on young coyotes TA and msoit of them will work well on old coyotes as well. It is all a matter of what they have been pre conditioned to in the first place and time of year your calling to them!!!!!

Paternal instincts are a strong force.

FP has some great sounds as does the others it is all brand preferance nothing more or less IMO. Give them something they haven't heard and following the other standards of calling and all should work out well.

ALL brands due to FCC rules must allow interferance in their remotes that is part of the deal of being licensed to sell them, so if they all have to allow interferance than at times and geographic location and rule changes from FCC they are ALL prone to some issues, it is keeping them at a bare minimum that is the key and I know by elevating the caller as many WT users do as well, it makes a differance could be 1 of many things.

--------------------

coyotehunter
Member # 3282

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 09:39 AM      Profile for coyotehunter           Edit/Delete Post 
USDA Wildlife Services in Wyoming issues Foxpro's not WT. also CritRcall mouth calls.
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 10:03 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
"From my exspearence the WT works great with both young and old coyotes and even on those so called call shy coyotes. Just have to learn to use it!! Some members don't have the patence to work a stuburn coyote and the F-P is'nt going to cure the problem or any special sounds they think they need to have on the caller...."

Man, I was really going to try and leave Timmy alone this year, but I have to say the above extra special piece of brilliant literature is making it very tough! Funny thing is after reading the "Tales of Timmy" for a couple years now I can actually understand his writing. Well, I mean, I understand what he is trying to write, still pretty foggy on his mental train of thought though. Carry on.

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 10:33 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe TA's WT loyalty is due to status? After all, his ADC friends use it and if you want to look like a top notch hunter, you need to show up with the same gear.
I used other callers and hand calls before I met the ADC group and could call in coyotes with what I had, but at the same time there was a large percentage I could'nt call in with what equipement I had. Later i got to see the WT in action and the results is what sold me.( easey to use, great sounds, loud, and I don't have to send it in every year to update or have repaired)
I'm not much of a follower, I like to cut my own trails and use what equipement I want for the job..
I'm heading out the door and going west, be back in 4-5 days.. [Razz]

--------------------

fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted September 15, 2010 01:41 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Tim!

WE'll be waiting to hear your stories and see the results.

No, not kidding here at all buddy... you always come back with a tale if not at least a couple of tails! [Big Grin] [Razz]

Shoot straight and be safe!

Nikonut

nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 02:04 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
What was the topic again?

If i hear one more argument over WT vs Foxpro i'm going puke on my keyboard!! SHUTUP!!!!!!!! They are both good products Steve Dillon is a stand up guy the times i've met him and talked to him and thats why i'm a bigger fan of FP (customer service)

There was a good conversation on a legitamate topic and it got pissed down the drain due to people pissing on bushes about there callers. Worry about killing coyotes with you caller instead of proving to everyone on the internet how yours is the best!

Christ Almighty move on!

3 Toes I will ask 515 what his answer would be in the next few days i'm not nearly as sure of his answer as you are [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 02:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's meat and potatos for message boards! Topics like what's the best caliber for coyotes, is it better to call up wind or down wind, and a lot of others that have not been settled...yet.

Good hunting. LB

(and probably never will be)

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
coyotehunter
Member # 3282

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 04:33 PM      Profile for coyotehunter           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know how important location is for many factors of what we do. As a indicator, ask your pilot to ask his dad who he thinks is the most likely in all the guys he flys for (and has ever flown for) to get more coyotes to howl and locate for the plane. And we are talking extremely tough coyotes. It's not even something I have brought up with him, but I'm fairly sure of his answer.

Seriously 3toes...........that is a pretty ballsy statement. You don"t really want me to ask him do you??
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 06:42 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing guys, go ahead and ask! I might be wrong, you never know. It may go to Johnson county for all I know. Either way it's still with a FoxPro. I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone else, there are lots of guys around including you two that are good at thier job. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
jbmartin
Member # 651

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 06:55 PM      Profile for jbmartin   Email jbmartin         Edit/Delete Post 
I use howling on some stands, some not....
Who can tell if that was the trigger for the ones you called....or not...
I read the whole first post and never really got the question....

TA, why would you stop in the middle of SD when you could keep going to get on the Butte/Harding county line?

Could be a good place....you never know...

Later...

JBM

Posts: 28 | From: Greeley, CO | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2010 07:34 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
The Butte/Harding county line is hit hard beciase of the sheep in that country, be better off finding cattlemen close to the grasslands if one wants more numbers to call to.

TA likes the cheyanne sioux triabl area as they have hardly any sheep and do little in the way of control work. A good place to call coyotes as they have better numbers there but are comming back from the mange. Still a decent amount of coyotes for sure.

[ September 15, 2010, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters