The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » "Sweet spot" for different cartridges.. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: "Sweet spot" for different cartridges..
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2016 05:41 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, you know you're always welcome.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 12, 2016 07:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to get up there, one of these days. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31461 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2016 02:35 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I'd soak all that cold up with a smile just to spend a couple days out on your trapline, Cal!
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2016 02:14 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Planes fly into Gillette every day.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2016 07:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, right! On days the wind don't blow. HA! Did Huber ever tell you about when I flew into Grand Rapids or Cedar Rapids or whatever it's called? They tried to land three times and turned around and went back to Denver where I slept on the floor all night. And the word, "slept" is extremely misleading.

But, really? How big a town IS Gillette? These are Jets that are landing every day? Just kidding.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2016 03:41 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
A withering metropolis of 30000 LB. and fading fast. Coal, oil, and gas, are dying fast and dragging Wyoming with them. Everybody and everything is being cut at alarming rates. Even the coyote hunting budget of state money is shrinking away. Good chance of being out of work in the next year or two, but on the bright side, I'm not yet. And a lot of people are.

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2016 07:25 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, I was wondering how things were going with all the lay-offs?

Are people moving out or are they trying to find other work?

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2016 06:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunate, Cal. I am not up to speed on Wyoming, at all. What Democrat policy is responsible for all the economic downturn?

30,000, huh? I live in a moderately small suburb here in The Land of The Fruits and the Nuts. It's a bedroom community of less than 80,000 surrounded by cities that are closer to 200,000. It's not a bad little town, as things go, here.

Now, we have an airport, general aviation including a few business jets, but no 727's. Ontario International is less than ten miles south so I don't have to go into LAX to hop a plane for Hawaii. Or, Gillette.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2016 09:10 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 222 magnum that is a solid killer. It only moves a bullet a little faster than a 223. But I also used a 222 back in the good old days that killed coyotes and bobcats stony dead. IMO bullet selection is the key. In both my 222 mag and my 222 I used a 50 grain Sierra Spitzer Blitz projectile. It's a highly frangible bullet that can't be used at 22-250 velocities.

In 2 partial days hunting I killed 12 coyotes with the 222 mag with no spinners or runners. My 223 AI is also a stone cold killer. I presently use a 50 grain V Max bullet but am looking to change to a 52 grain Berger MV.

If I could only use one cartridge, tho, it'd be a 22-250 or a 220 Swift.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters