The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Coyotes w the new can.. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Coyotes w the new can..
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2014 01:29 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvis, I think 100 fps, maybe 150 fps, is probably about all you can realistically expect from re-chambering a factory tube where you are losing an inch.

Just my opinion, based on my experience. Which, isn't all that much, I've never had a factory barrel punched out like that myself, just seen and heard about a lot of them.

I have worn out two factory .22-250 barrels, put quite a few rounds on, but not worn out a couple more factory .22-250's, and have worn out three .22-250AI barrels and my fourth one is getting kind of long in the tooth. Again, just my opinion, but all else being equal, I think 150-2000 fps gain is pretty realistic and expecting more might well end in disappointment.

Most of the bigger gains you hear about, you aren't hearing the whole story. Longer, custom barrels with tight, minimum spec custom chambers, can't really be compared to shorter, sloppy factory hardware.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2014 03:25 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Decisions decisions !

I am definitely putting a can on my 22-250 ackley build.. However my can is around 7 inches, so put that on a 26" barrel and that's a long stick!

Thinking of a compromise and shortening the barrel by 4" to 22". From my estimations , that would provide me 22-250 performance from an ackley round..

Found a thorough study that showed decrease is around 32 fps per inch barrel.

Hmmmm..

Ps bought a practically brand new Stevens 200 in 22-250 from reno's cabelas yesterday..paid $250 Will use the action for my build..

[ December 24, 2014, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2014 08:16 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is 22" and I get 3800 fps with a 55 gr bullet, 3100 with a 75. I don't think the extra velocity is worth the extra barrel.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2014 12:05 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Is the can really worth all the fuss ? I honestly have no idea ?
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2014 02:42 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom ; thx for the numbers.. I ended up ordering a 21".

Dave ; It's much easier on the ears in a hunting situation and it's worth the extra pennies for me .. Also, I have a suspicion that I'll have a much better chance to kill multiples due the sound signature..

Maybe I'll start a build thread? Seems most of you guys like the 700 platform (which is fabulous) , but with a savage you can build a compete rifle without depending on a gunsmith.

Here's an awesome gun Dad built in 2007 in 6BR from a Stevens action..

-

[ December 25, 2014, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2014 03:56 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Kelly has been playing with those Salvage rifles.

I had one in 222 when I was about 16, my first "fur" gun but I got smartened up real quick. [Wink]

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2014 05:27 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
You can build a complete rifle, without a gunsmith, ya say ?

In the hollow spaces of my brain, & there's plenty trust me. It does seem that Kelly or somebody, was screwing on barrels to Salvage actions or something like that ?

Yeah, might be worth another thread ? I'll listen.

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2014 08:03 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Are u suggesting a REM action has a longer dick than a savage? :-)

Folks build customs off savage actions all the time.. The magic is that little barrel nut ...

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2014 03:23 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

[Smile]

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2014 08:19 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
My second .22BR and my first .20BR were just barrels I put on Savage actions. I think the .22BR was going on 15 years ago now? Time flies...

They are dead simple easy to rebarrel, that is for sure. And good accuracy as a general rule. Ugly as a mud fence and smooth as a cobblestone road, but easy and accurate.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2014 11:11 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Not much more to say after DAA's statement ; except for , "does size really matter?" Lol

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2014 11:29 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how this works ? so I'm curious. Do you take the barrel nut off and just screw on a new barrel ?

I guess a guy would need a set of go & no-go headspace gauges ? I'm also guessing there are sources for good barrels ?

Thanks.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2014 11:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Total mystery to me. I have a barrel vice and an action wrench, that's all I know?

By the way, that pic above resembles my 243Ackley. It's a Tooley benchrest stock, and same Kydex cheekrest. But the scope I have on it is a US Optics 5X25.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: by the way, a 21" barrel will change several things, even deciding on the correct powder. You will need to find a propellant that will burn completely in that length and still give decent velocity. I did something like that once, didn't notice until shooting at night; it was a total flamethrower!

[ December 26, 2014, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2014 12:32 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, yeah, it's about that easy. Barrel vise and a barrel nut wrench - which can both be had pretty cheap, will get it done.

I've never bothered with gages, prefer to headspace off my brass and dies. Use tape on the bolt nose to check that clearance. Easy.

- DAA

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2014 03:54 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
How to rebarrel a savage barrel

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2014 05:30 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, pretty interesting.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters