The New Huntmastersbbs!
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Took the lid off PU, and it fucking STINKS (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Author Topic: Took the lid off PU, and it fucking STINKS
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2013 09:18 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
It was just a joke so relax..

Scott knows me and knows i don't give out advice to him unless he would ask me a question on something any other time its just chit-chat..

As far as your difficult coyotes go yeah I got a pretty good handle on them/ good idea of what you are dealing with, as I deal with this type of coyote most every day here and yes I struggle with some of them just like anybody else. Your actually luckier than me you have coyotes that can or are aggressive and willing to defend there terr., I don't!
So hey just relax and don't be so dam defensive all the time, its not good for the soul and thats not advice, just saying is all.

[ March 23, 2013, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2013 10:07 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Leonard, your sarcasm is a little less subtle today.

Glad things are better than before WileE.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2013 10:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Geezus, I just about choked on that one, Cal! Too funny.

Good hunting. Lima Brav 0

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 04:39 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
There ya go just beating around the bush again Cal. Just come right out and tell him what you really think. [Big Grin]

Tim giving Huber advice regarding coyote control is kinda like a first grader giving Math advice to his teacher.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 07:26 AM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
If the kid giving math advice to the teacher is a veritable prodigy like TA, then that argument doesn't hold water. Sometimes the student passes up the teacher. I believe TA is the best coyote hunter in the entire world. Probably universe. Just thought I'd share.

If that Mars Rover thingy discovered coyotes on Mars, TA could shoot them from Earth. Chuck Norris of coyotes, he is.

God damn I wish I could get to the moon! These Earth coyotes are too damn easy!

[ March 24, 2013, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Chris S ]

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
btech29
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4148

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 07:37 AM      Profile for btech29           Edit/Delete Post 
Ive watched Tim's Dog and Pony show for a few years now and rarely comment. I often wonder if its just an act, or is he really that damn stupid.
Posts: 42 | From: United States | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
btech29
Member # 4148

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 07:42 AM      Profile for btech29           Edit/Delete Post 
"If that Mars Rover thingy discovered coyotes on Mars, TA could shoot them from Earth. Chuck Norris of coyotes, he is.

God damn I wish I could get to the moon! These Earth coyotes are too damn easy!"

Lol, now thats funny!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 07:56 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid is when one loads a cartridge beyond its max charge on purpose, if done by mistake then it would of been just that a mistake... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

btech29
Member # 4148

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 08:02 AM      Profile for btech29           Edit/Delete Post 
I dont argue with idiots, but I will say this.

If you dont know what the max is how do you know what the max is?

Anyone that develops many loads will blow a primer from time to time.

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 08:10 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Try useing a caliper and measure the web area of the cartridge before and after fireing, also a Chrono will help. And then there is a loading manual or load data from reliable sources..

quote:
Anyone that develops many loads will blow a primer from time to time.
Yep some guys do and some are missing a eye or finger as well..

[ March 24, 2013, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 08:17 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the thing about coyotes Tim. Until we figure out what they have been subjected to, we don't have a clue what will work in that situation.

Yeh, if you find a trail they are traveling that goes through higher brush you can usually snare them if your snare is reasonably hidden. Can't do that where you have livestock and it's not a good idea in high deer traffic places or you will spend all your time replacing blown out snares.

You can set traps and I've done my share of that and will continue to do so in certain situations. The coyotes have to return and they have to like what you presented or they will walk by. The less coyotes you have in an area, the less attracted they are to normal trapping techniques and the more country they have to move around in.

M-44s are well known for being less effective where you have less coyotes with larger areas.

Calling can be effective but again, you have to learn what turns them on in a particular area at a particular time of year and figure out what they have been subjected to. Aerial hunting is very effective when and where you can get at them if you can find them and see them.

These are not excuses, they are facts. I've been at this long enough to know that it can be challenging at times and you will go through periods where you think you forgot everything you've learned about coyotes. Been there many times. I expect that but I never get used to it. I have had other high caliber coyote men tell me the same thing. You just have to figure out what will work in each situation and it can take longer than we like at times. Every coyote has a weakness some just have fewer weaknesses than others.

As I have said many times, anyone can be a hero in SW Texas or parts of Kansas. Your degree of hero status will be directly proportionate to the number of coyotes you have to work with and what they have been subjected to. Anyone can go into virgin coyote country with lots of coyotes, blow a rabbit call, hit 30% of what they shoot at, and still come out looking like superman. Try that in high sheep production areas with year round predator control and you are either going to college or you are going to fall on your face.

When working damage control coyotes, we are not talking about young of the year dispersing pups like the average fur harvestor is after. We are talking about a certain number of adults that have survived numerous years of attempts at their lives and a few yearlings that have survived the fur harvesting season and they can be afraid of their own shadow. Night and day difference.

In a way you are correct Tim, they are just coyotes but they are adult coyotes that have survived an entire year or more. Each coyote has a level of curiousity and a level of caution based on their life's experiences. If caution far outweighs curiousity due to those experiences, those coyotes are unlike any coyotes you will have ever dealt with but yes, they are still coyotes. They are still interested in their own kind, they still have to eat, the adults are still territorial when they have pups in a hole although they elicit territorial behavior to different degrees, and they are still interested in reproducing their own kind. Two of those basic instincts are seasonal. Some skittish female coyotes with a high degree of caution will spend all of their time trying to hide themselves and their pups until they are forced to do otherwise. They don't act like normal coyotes but what is normal?

In Southern Campbell County those coyotes are still coyotes but as Cal correctly stated, they are PHD coyotes, not Midland Texas coyotes behind locked gates.

As far as the math teacher and the first grader, in the new area I am working, I am a first grader but with a burning desire to reduce the learning curve. I just hope it doesn't take too long.

~SH~

IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 09:31 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Scott for the information and whats going on with some of the coyotes or areas you are working.

quote:
Every coyote has a weakness some just have fewer weaknesses than others.

Yep I agree, the coyotes here don't have many weakness's other than night time calling, some will put there guard down, young and old and most won't. And like you said you have to go out and find what they are.. Still learning here with that..
In spring time some of the females are also a little more willing but you know I don't like to hunt or call that time of year... I still take a few samples each spring just to see what they are produceing for pups though..
This year useing the dog to help find and get them up I learned a few more things about how a coyote will react to being hunted or haveing human intruders in there domain and how some of them handle it.. What really surprises me is how close some of the coyotes will let a hunter get to them when bedded in heavey cover like CRP or plum brush. Had one as close as two steps away and a hand full less than 50 yds. that just waited it out or waited till the dog jumped them.. They sure know how to adapted here thats for sure... Was talking with some of the guys about this and we wondered how many coyotes we have missed over the years due to how tight a coyote will lay up and just let a hunter pass bye..

quote:
We are talking about a certain number of adults that have survived numerous years of attempts at their lives and a few yearlings that have survived the fur harvesting season and they can be afraid of their own shadow. Night and day difference.
Yep I agree.. Most here are affraid of there shadow the minute they are born and just gets worse the more they are exsposed to..
Every now and then one or two will let there guard down but the timeing or conditions have to be just right...

Thanks for the time its always a pleasure to hear or read what you have to say..

[ March 24, 2013, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 09:40 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
SH I want to thank you for your last post!!! Its not how many you get or what call, trap or pro staff your on. I believe its the challenge between the hunter and the hunted. I have been calling coyotes since the early 70s and by no means a expert. I try to learn as much as I can every time I go out calling. The one thing my Grandfather told me 50years ago don't let your pride get in your way, you will never know everything about coyotes so don't act like it.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 09:46 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
TA: "Most here are affraid of there shadow the minute they are born and just gets worse the more they are exsposed to".

They all start with a clean slate. They react to their mother's reaction. If they don't react to her reactions, she will make them react. I had a pup coyote watch me build my house from 40 feet away. Why? because I never bothered his/her mother. Instead, I fed her to get her tame. If the female didn't worry about me, the pups weren't going to worry about me beyond their natural instincts. Their behavior is learned. They are born with a clean slate and they don't all act or react the same. You can have a brave pup, a shy pup, a curious pup, a playful pup, a nervous pup, and an agressive pup all from the same litter.

~SH~

Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 09:47 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie,

Your grandfather was a wise man. We all should have heeded the advice of the "working generation" more than we did.

~SH~

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 11:31 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can have a brave yoy, a shy yoy, a curious yoy, a playful yoy, a nervous yoy, and an agressive yoy all from the same litter.

Just to see if I'm on the same page what would you do differently or same for each as far as calling goes??

Edit post to be more speciffic..
Sorry Chriss forgot you were lurking in the shadows..

[ March 24, 2013, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 03:12 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Scott, what would you do to call pups... [Eek!]

I'm always lurking, TA. Waiting to pounce.

I called the same spot, with the same sounds and from the same stand, 10 different times this year and never had one come in til yesterday; the 11th time I called the stand . Why the same spot and the same sounds? Because I know they are there.
The other times I called; the time of day was possibly wrong, perhaps the wind was 1.2 degrees different or 2 mph slower, or the coyote was 500 yards south and didn't hear the call. More likely, the other 10 times, it just didn't feel like coming in.

I do know, that I don't know exactly why it chose to come in yesterday to the same sounds I've used before, from the same exact stand and chose not to respond the other times.
I know that they're in the area; that's all I can bank on. So, I'll keep going back.

[ March 24, 2013, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Chris S ]

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2013 09:57 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can have a brave yoy, a shy yoy, a curious yoy, a playful yoy, a nervous yoy, and an agressive yoy all from the same litter.
Just to see if I'm on the same page what would you do differently or same for each as far as calling goes??

Man I can see how this is going to play out.

T.A says he wants to see if him and Scott are on the same page.

Scott then writes up a long detailed description of some of the ways he's been successful from experience but concludes that nothing is set in stone.

T.A replies "thats exactly what I do" and states that they are indeed on the same page,not really understanding 1/3 of what Scott said.

Then Tim proceeds to give everyone on the board advice on what it takes to be a successful caller in these situations(with the waiver that it can only be accomplished with a WT caller) And that only he has tough to call coyotes,everybody else it's just your lack of knowledge and or dedication..... [Wink]

Did I leave anything out.lol

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2013 10:30 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The questions I asked was for you or anyone else, yeah! I already knew the answer..

quote:
,everybody else it's just your lack of knowledge and or dedication.....
Close enough.... [Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2013 10:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, boyfriends. Lighten up. I've come to believe TA gives Gerry Blair type advice. Print, and punch holes for your three ring notebook. Besides, Scott likes him. So there! <sticks tongue out>

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2013 02:13 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, Scott likes him. So there!

ah...nevermind. forgot what i was gonna say [Confused]

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2013 02:16 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a bookmark so I know where to start reading. Took me damn near half a pack of cigarettes to get thru these pages. Whew!

I can usually figure out in under 5 minutes whether sombody has more than a couple years of predator hunting under their belt. Many times ... less than that. I always felt that if I can figure it out, Why don't others see it too?

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2013 03:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Relax Bearhunter, I was only joking!

Uncle Jay, if you read these ten pages in 30 minutes, you are a lot more awesome than I suspected.

Now, where were we? Oh yeah, TT's under the bus.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2013 04:48 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread delivers! [Razz]
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2013 06:09 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
LB "Besides, Scott likes him. So there!"

I recently bet otherwise... and I'm shocked.

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters