The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Fair warning! (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Fair warning!
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2023 10:06 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Killed some with a 22WMR, until someone told me it doesn't work. but mostly in areas 'cause they were limited to rimfire or shotgun, used 4Buck in 3.5" 12 ga also. They worked.

I had a camaro Back in the day and still carry my Glock out west. I have and luv 1911's but prefer the lighter pistols for carry. Carried a 1911 and a M16 when I worked for Uncle Sam. So when do I get my participation trophy?

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2023 12:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
TA, to save your dog's ears, you must swear off firearms and get interested in Air Soft.

Now for the rest of us, a 22Mag is just neither fish nor fowl. In a North American Arms revolver, it seems pretty wicked, perhaps more effective than my Seecamp in 32Auto? Actually, both marginal but like they say, better than nothing. I like the retort where the guy says, it beats the .45 you left at home.

Well, I remember a couple coyotes hit with my .45, one was charging me and I put all 7 rounds in face and chest but finished him with a rock. The other one dropped like a rock, I mean so fast, it was instantaneous! Whatever that has to do with the conversation, I don't know?

Another thing is availability. There have been times when there wasn't any 22Mag to buy, nor any hotrod 17HMR or variations. Like right now for well over a year The Winchester SilverTip 32ACP is unavailable, even at $90 a box.

That's a good topic, I think? What is available and always will be available? I can't think of ANYTHING that, at one time or another, has been out of stock for months on end. Like right now, I can buy anything I want in 40S&W, any point shape any bullet weight. Why is that? Because nobody wants a 40, it's too loud, too much recoil. So, there is lots of ammo on the shelf. There is, until there ain't. At some point nobody will stock it. Like, I have an old Marlin in 44/40. Can't find that on the shelf and what makes it especially shitty for me is that we can't mail order ammo in The People's Republik!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2023 12:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of something mentioned above, by DanS. He says 3 1/2" 12 gauge #4 buck is effective on coyotes and I heartily agree. But I noticed the lst time I saw a price on a box of DEAD COYOTE, it was 90/some dollars-for a box of ten! I don't care, that's a cruel joke! I have a box of dead coyote 3 1/2" that is missing one round. I think I should itemize it in my will? That's ridiculous! You can buy something like A 500 Nitro or a 460 Weatherby for less than nine bucks per round. I think?

Let's face it. With this imbecile Biden running the economy into the ground, EVERYTHING is higher than hell! Go to the friggin' grocery store sometime. I never used to watch prices and even I have noticed how much food costs these days! It's scandalous!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2023 04:19 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the places I hunt are heavy cover woods with shots less than 50 yards. More than that and a rifle (pick your caliber) is the way to go. The .22 mag does OK at short range. A shotgun with 4buck or Win Varmint X BB's is what I use mostly. The new TSS shot is even better but the cost is astronomical. It makes Dead Coyote T shot look like a bargain. At $10-$12 a shot makes for expensive coyotes that get thrown in a ditch anyway. Reloading might make it a tad cheaper. I don't reload so dunno.

Speaking of 3 1/2 inch 4buck loads, those things are ass kickers. Clevenger uses them (or use to anyways, maybe still does) I saw a pic of his arm/shoulder black and blue from firing those things. With me having had 3 rotator cuff surgeries, I have to pass.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted July 18, 2023 09:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hold it! You know Gary Clevenger?

It's not often when you meet a true asshole. I mean.not somebody that just arbitrarily pisses you off, I mean somebody who seems like he's always plotting, behind your back, without justification, just for something to do. That's Gary Clevenger!

I hope he's not your best Bro? Get someone else! He's just a prick! One of those guys that wants to be a buddy with an ulterior motive, he's a real snake!

Take him off your Christmas card list before he stabs you in the back like all the rest of his former friends.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS yes, we are not friends but I've met him on several occasions. He used to sport a long Ponytail, lives in Canyon Country, out past Valencia.

edit: But if all you are interested in is testimonials about how hard 3 1/2" 12 gauge shells kick....then I can second that motion. DEAD COYOTE is the worst I have experienced and the most expensive.

edit: on the other hand, I have used quite a few of the Winchester XX 3 1/2" #4Buck. Brutal, just not quite as bad as DEAD COYOTE.

[ July 18, 2023, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2023 10:02 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago at an Outdoor Expo I shot a .458 Win. Mag rifle. The guy in the booth asked me what I thought of the recoil and was kind of butt-hurt when I told him it was about the same as my 3" 12ga lead BB loads.
Sooooo .............. You guys shooting 3 1/2" Dead Coyote loads are shooting the the equivariant to a big elephant gun.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2023 01:23 PM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never met Gary in person but we emailed back and forth some a few years ago. He helped me out when I needed it and for that I am grateful. As far as I am concerned, he is a good guy. Very few hunters equal him when it comes to shotgun coyote hunting IMO.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2023 05:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know that's his schtick, now. He crawls into heavy brush and neither him or the coyote can see each other until they are practically face to face.

So, he's carved out this segment and now he's a friggin' Guru. Whatever?

But, I have seen him participate on state hunts for many years and he not only never won anything, he didn't even come close, usually blanked, if he showed up at all it was curiosity to see who won what and admire other people's kill. He was a total newbie until he came up with his gimmick with his daylight method of shotgunning in heavy cover.

I'm not discounting his technique, not to mention that myself and others have been doing the same thing long before he ever managed to kill a coyote.

But it's just one aspect of hunting predators, and the rest of us are proficient at all methods, including scouting productive areas whereas, he's hunting urban areas where shotgun is the only option.

Like I say, he's made a big deal out of that oddball application, but as a force to be reckoned with on a contest, he was never a factor and never will because he's a one trick pony. And he's an asshole.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: My opinion is that Gary wants somebody, anybody to look up to him, so he befriends someone such as yourself if he thinks he has a chance to look important in the eyes of a novice. Go ahead and be friends with him, but be careful, he is one of the few snakes I've ever met in the predator hunting community.

[ July 18, 2023, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2023 02:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I met clever Gary, took a tour of hios shooting rigg and was invited to hunt with him next day. I walked up to his truck in morning with my rifle and he says no that wont work in tight quarters so our hunt was canceled. I thought fuck him he don't know shit. Later that day went out with Shaw and Higgy, shot one coyote at less than 30 yards and another I think around 40 or 50 yards with a scoped rifle of fixed 10x. Yeah Gary a fucken idiot.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2023 02:44 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard not trying to save dogs hearing. Some just hate the gun going off and run off or sit back a few 100 yards till im done with the coyote while some of the other dogs are still with me. Whats worse though is when a guy shoots over the top of the dogs running a coyote, the wiz or crack of the bullet just shuts them down, take a good 3 hours just to get them going again and I have to make dam sure no one shoots around them rest of the day. Thats just way it is with certain breeds.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters