The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Fair warning! (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Fair warning!
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2023 01:46 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko just reflecting off of what Leonard said few posts ago. Most of us up here call critters by their right names. Bobcat, lynx, red fox, grey fox, coyote, wood chuck, gopher, timber wolf, etc. It seems all those nick names come from the S-E or S-W parts of the u.s. [Smile]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2023 02:56 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok.
The ranchers in S.E. Oregon tended to pronounce 'coyote' as a one syllable word. Kinda hard to repeat let alone put down on paper.

Lots of hot springs in that whole area. Generally a lot of artifacts and debitage nearby.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2023 03:22 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lots of hot springs
We have those also scattered all over the state, but we call them hot tubs. [Eek!] Also have indoor pools so no reason to go to AZ. or other southern states in the winter we got it all.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2023 03:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You are right, ko ko. That gas station attendant with a unique pronunciation, (at least to my ears) was in southern Oregon. You know, where they will have you arrested if you pump your own gas.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2023 04:55 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, always a hoot to pull into a stop & rob in Oregon and grab the pump handle to see the guy come running out waving his arms. [Big Grin]

What I wanna know is when did 'Full Serve' become just getting your gas pumped ????
I worked a gas station when I was a kid. Full serve meant you pump the gas, clean the windshield & headlights and offer to check the air in the tires, oil, water, & battery. Then handle the money, pass out the Green Stamps, and all with a cheerful attitude.
THAT was Full Service.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted March 24, 2023 06:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I even had the inside glass cleaned once in a while. Those were the days! Now I don't need to expand on that statement, the geezers will get it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2023 06:44 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that gas stations were the first to go self serve, now Wally world, McD's, and others are following suit.

What exactly is a Geezer? Is that someone that gets a kit and kaboodle?

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2023 06:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just as in the dark as anybody? We need to get to the bottom of it,, sooner than later.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2023 09:10 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
After reading this thread and I learned how fortunate I was that the coyotes I shot with my AR actually died. I mostly use a shotgun but next time I tote a rifle it'll be my .308. I'm not pushing my luck any further.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2023 09:39 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So ............... If you swapped out the upper on your AR to .308 would it still be enough to kill a coyote ????

I tend to hunt brush here in S.E. Az. with a Ruger Mini-14 / .223 when I do carry a rifle and I swear that a couple of times I've heard El Bee groan all the way from So. Cal. after shooting a coyote with it.

--------------------

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2023 09:56 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So ............... If you swapped out the upper on your AR to .308 would it still be enough to kill a coyote ????
The AR15 lower receiver is not compatible with any .308 upper that I know of. Some other parts are interchangeable but lots are not.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2023 12:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since he admitted to owning a Mini14, we should give him a pass for not remembering that the beefier AR setup in 30 cal. is called an AR10. I think so anyway? Never owned one and never had the desire. But generally speaking, if you like that shit, an AR10 is probably the way to go.

But, you can look for a Browning BAR or a Winchester Model 100, or a Remington 760. I think the Browning is available in 300WinMag? The Win. Model 100 can be had in the very adequate 284Winchester cartridge. And the 760, I think was made in 30'06 and 270Winchester.

All of these rifles are decent white tail medicine I "believe" they are all gas operated and rather soft recoil. Yeah, not as accurate as a bolt action, but respectable, none the less.

And, it does remove you from the Black assault rifle syndrome. Definitely old school.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: and yes, most will kill a coyote, if the shooter does his part.

PPS at reasonable ranges

[ July 11, 2023, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2023 07:13 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Are we still talking about the 223? Serious question, Doesn't the 223 at 100 yards equal a 22-250 at a 200 yard target? Same bullet tip, different cartridge.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2023 09:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say, because of my limited experience with an AR15. See, back then, if I had some match bullets that weren't the very best accuracy wise, in my 220Swift, then I would load those Match bullets for my AR15.

Then, the performance I saw on daylight stands with the AR and those HP Match bullets was definitely not "bang/Flop". This was in areas that pairs were more normal than singles and with the eager one flopping around and requiring another round, meanwhile, the trailing coyote would check up and or start booking it in a safe direction.

Anther thing, this was before FLAT TOPS and mounting a scope on the handle was problematic. Because, when zeroed at 50 yards you were guaranteed a miss at 150. It didn't take long for me to decide that I wasted my money on this gun and I put it away....to this day, it hasn't been fired.

So, this question is not exactly apples and oranges, but they are both round. You say 22-250, and truthfully, I never owned one. I have had a couple 220Swift and 3 22-250Ackley's. I'm figuring ballpark numbers and I still can't quite figure what exactly you mean by:
quote:
Doesn't the 223 at 100 yards equal a 22-250 at a 200 yard target?
My impulse response is that a fucking 223 is simply NOT an adequate round, from a 16" barrel, compared to a 22-250 category 26" barrel. It's beyond apples and oranges and the people that think a fucking AR is a great coyote gun are sadly mistaken.

So, I can't answer your question: yeah right, that's it, an AR at 100 is the same as a 22-250 at 200. I can't boil it down simplistically. When the AR is inadequate, how does a hunter compare it to an adequate "weapon" although I hate to use that term in a sporting application.

Where do you come up with such complicated conundrums that cannot be answered with a simple yes or no?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2023 02:30 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Simply what I was eluding too was say a AR15 or any other 223 firing a 53 gr bullet at 3200 fps at the muzzle would give you about 2800 fps at 100 yards.

Now a 22-250 shooting the same bullet at 3600 fps at the muzzle would have the same 2800 fps at 200 yards. At 300 yards the 22-250 would have the same fps as the 223 at 200 Yrds. So the 22-250 would basically be able to do whatever the 223 could do 100 yards further away.

These are just rough numbers your mileage may vary. Just saying if a 22-250 is adequate out to 300 a 223 should be just as adequate at 200, going by the numbers. It's the same bullet at the same speeds. Just the 22-250 can out perform the 223 by roughly 100 yards.

Now for a contest or ADC work, which I do neither, I think I would choose a 243 or similar 6mm. My type of called coyote hunting, 300 yards is a long poke, a shot of 50-150 yds is more common.

Hey I get it, some people hate Chevys and love Fords or Toyotas, or vice versa. Either way IMO it isn't worth getting all worked up over. Shoot what you like. I do think the 22-250 is probably the best cartridge for coyotes if there is such a thing.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2023 03:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't you just write this last sentence in your previous post? I can agree with that.

Just asking: Are you a Prius driver or a Camero or maybe a Mustang? I would rather drive a Corvette, which is sorta like shooting a 22-250Ackley, performance wise, and mine has a 28 1/2" barrel.

But, I agree, any 243 or 6mm is just as good and with the right bullet, it puts a hurtin' on'em!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit:
PS what's the reason for using a marginal cartridge?? Economy? That's a laugh! You driving from (not sure where) but I think Ohio? to Arizona to shoot worthless coyotes? It don't add up, money wise so it has to be recreation.

[ July 14, 2023, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2023 07:54 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they should stop making 223 and ban them for hunting so we can concentrate more on who going to drag the coyote back to the truck for a hero picture.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2023 07:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a riot, suggest banning 9mm. Shooters seem to think it's the best thing since sliced bread! A Man Stopper! It's pleasant to shoot and I guess, in a Glock, if I had one? But I'm always swimming upstream on shit like that. I've never fired a Glock anything, and probably never will. I was surprised when our resident handgun expert, Victor went and bought a Glock; what seemed like yesterday? Then, he told me he liked it! Double surprise!

It made me think....No, not that I'm going to go buy one of those stupid things. I don't know what it is? Name me a law enforcement agency in this, or probably, any other country that issues something other than a Glock 17 or 19 to their officers?

That statistic should get my attention, but I've always been cursed with not going along with the crowd. I thought Victor was with me on this attitude, but I stand alone.

What you you think? ko ko, you got your log in info, and I know you own a Ruger 380. Any urge, desire to get fitted with America's handgun? Everybody wants one.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS the main selling point is reliability, and 17 rounds. Agree?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2023 08:29 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
.... icles Test

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2023 08:57 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well Hot Damn ........... Back on !!! [Smile]

Long story less long; Micro-Flaccid sent me the 'need to shut down & restart 4 upgrades' message.
No problem; They do that now & then.
This time when it came back up ALL of my log-ins had been wiped out. Very annoying for the non-computer savvy.

Ok ........... To the subject at hand; In my humble opinion; The BEST handgun is the one that you have with you when you need it along with the mind-set that if needed to fire until it goes 'click' cause it's empty.
The Ruger .380 LCP in a Sneaky Pete holster is always with me and discrete enough that no one pays it any attention since it looks like a smart phone case.
Now, is a .380 a 'man-stopper' ??
Maybe so ..... maybe no. But 6 rounds sorta center of mass should be enough of a 'man slower downer' that I can back off and load another clip (magazine?) that I carry in a belt knife sheath next to my Leatherman.
Hopefully, ...... it's never needed.

--------------------

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2023 12:01 PM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
From the vibes I'm getting from this thread, I take it that the subject of a .22 mag for coyotes is a no go. We've got WMA's here that only allow rimfire or shotguns for coyotes.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2023 05:27 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well ........... Not saying that it can't be done, IF you choose your shot angle / placement & about a 50 yard max. range. If I'm not mistaken, your Eastern Coyotes tend to be a bit larger than our Western desert coyotes. Expect spinners & follow-up shots.
That being said, personally I would go with a full choke 12 Ga. loaded with 3" copper plated BB.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2023 05:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, A 22Mag in a bolt rifle could manage to take a coyote and I say that because I have seen it done, once. We snuck into a dump on the res that was in close proximity to a few domiciles; using the term loosely. Yeah, we killed a few, maybe a 22lr

(nah I ain't going there!

but it seemed just as loud as a 22-250, and the shots were all Gimmies, short and most were head shots. So, not an honest evaluation, as far as the way I hunt. It's just WAY better than a 22lr but that's all I would venture. Really, it was just an experiment, and if you have any experience with that cartridge, I would defer to your opinion.

But, based on what I think I need for coyotes, day and night, western conditions, no. I'd have to ask why do you ask, in the first place? If you intend to go out and buy yourself a coyote rifle, I think it's a poor choice.

If you have one, and nothing else; keep your shots within reason. Before long, you will be thinking about upgrading. That's all I got, not much to be passing out advice, specifically on that cartridge. Anybody with more experience?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I think Savage used to make a Model 24 over under that was chambered in 22Mag over a 3" 20Gauge. Maybe even Valmet/Finnish maker, makes something like that with a 22Mag over a 12 gauge. Or was it under a 12 gauge?

[ July 16, 2023, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2023 05:55 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Some know I run my dogs and I've had the chance to try few cartridges out on bayed up or holed up coyotes. 22 l.r., 22 mag. 17 wsm. The bullet fired from 22 mag. does not do much, it just balls up when hits flesh and just dont seem to anchor them less the shot is pretty dam close to perfect plus its too loud for the dogs so stopped useing it. 17 WSM did a hell of a job but its down fall was too loud for the dogs. 22 l.r. ok in a semiauto and they pretty accurate as well but also a little on the edge for being too loud for dogs so now I just use 22 c.b. shorts in a revolver and head shots must be made so yeah I have to get in close and let one rip and be ready for a follow up. Had a few that just kept coming while I was in a hole or pipe with them but have two dogs that pretty smart and they put themselves between me and the coyote and stop its charge. Let things settle down a little then try again.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2023 06:01 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
If I may add I tried a 22 mag. on red fox at 50 to 100 yards and was a hit miss type deal again so I stopped useing one for anything cept coon. Coon usually sits still less you calling them and shots canbe more accurate to make on the head.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters