The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Fair warning! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Fair warning!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2023 08:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
PS
that would be Bowie, for non-AZ folks.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2023 09:37 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't want to name places, thought that was Taboo, Like that Irish town by Vic IE. They have a Dollar general, or Family dollar store there now, I get those two confused. No McD's, gotta run to the border for that.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2023 09:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Man! I spilled the beans! ?owie is Coyote hunting paradise!

I know a few spots I will protect with my dying breath but ?owie ain't on the list.

Safford! Yeah, Saffard is coyote heaven, they have a rule there; you have to be sporting and let the first 2 yippers get away, kill the Boss Dog posting look Out. Alternate: stand on your head for the shot. Then you can dump the eager beaver first arrival. Stake out the back dock, (edit: At Walmart) they hand feed pups all the time and they are almost tame. Honk on a Weems all call and from what I hear, coyotes think it's the DINNER BELL! Don't tell them I blew the secret!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ March 19, 2023, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2023 03:11 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's the Weems Dual Tone that's the hot ticket. Bought my first one at a Wally Taber Sports Show about a hundred years ago and it remains the finest closed reed call ever made.

Over this way we believe in giving the coyote a sporting chance but standing on our heads tends to frighten the superstitious illegal aliens Biden had invited in so we either shoot from our off shoulder or use pointed sticks.

Bowie used to be good hunting but sadly the aforementioned illegals have killed and eaten all of the fox & coyotes. If you visit that area be sure to offer some root beers to the over-worked Border Patrol folks that you'll likely meet. Good people doing a thankless job.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2023 05:40 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I remember that secrete spot. Set up to call a area with AR-S, in mean time a Border patrol officer walked out into the brush to take a dump and AR shot him in the ass! AR said he thought it was a coyote threat barking at him, so he let it have one. All sworn to secrecy, and got the hell out of there. [Eek!]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2023 11:05 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure that the Statute Of Limitations NEVER runs out for shooting a Border Patrol guy in the ass.
If you get back down that way you might want to wear a disguise and claim your name is John Henry or something.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2023 11:39 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of this J-H guy you speak of. I did find a small pile of dead fox (about 6 or 8) at my secret spot in Bowie. Believe it or not, several years back we were hunting the power lines, (not Bowie) and ran into a woman sitting in their truck, she was waiting on her husband who was coyote hunting. They had Minnisodie(SIC) plates, she told me they heard it was a good area.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2023 03:24 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pretty sure that the Statute Of Limitations NEVER runs out for shooting a Border Patrol guy in the ass.
You right about that Koko cept the state of AZ has a catch 22 or loophole in their laws. At the time asses was not listed on the protection list so we good to go. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2023 10:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
“Never heard of this JH guy” said with a presumed straight face?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2023 04:11 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
JH? Oh he was one of the good guys in S.D., could voice howl buy sucking air in verses air out. [Razz]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2023 11:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong guy, TA.

But, why don't we make an inquiry with the gentleman who might know what's going on with John Henry? Victor was his hunting partner and taught him everything he knows on the subject.

The last information I heard, was a brief comment from Vic and he said (I think, if memory serves?) that John Henry was living in Pennsylvania and his wife was living in JH's father's house, in MacNeal.

Other than that, I forget the name of the man who took over The Coyote God's website, who was living in a camper with his wife, but heard that he died a few years back.

And, then we have Victor himself, who moved to Florida and then it seems like he moved back to AZ? I do not even have a current email address for him any more? But, I think we can say that the Glory Days of The Coyote Gods has probably passed into the sunset, and as the smoke clears, maybe DanS will be appointed Mayor or Sheriff as the last man standing. At least for a few weeks when he is the scourge of the whole kit and caboodle from Bowie to Douglas and Rodeo to Sierra Vista, so will the last man strike the flag unless VC decides to KEEP IN TOUCH, annually, at a minimum, just for old times's sake.

Kinda sad result but the good part is that ko ko is holding down the fort from the direction of due north in Safford.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2023 01:32 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I left the gates to the fort wide open when the coyotes started doing the den thing and the carp in Roosevelt started to come up into the shallows for bowfishing.

--------------------

Dan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4563

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2023 02:05 PM      Profile for Dan   Email Dan         Edit/Delete Post 
JH thought that if you shot a 223 you were a big game hunter. That other guy thinks a 223 won't kill a coyote. What am I to think?

[ March 21, 2023, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Dan ]

Posts: 41 | From: AZ | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2023 04:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought you'd never ask! There's a website devoted to all those technical questions, anything about coyotes. Google PMS!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2023 05:10 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't ran into John-Henry for several years. I hear he looks different now, gained weight, and such. I believe Brent recently ran into him.

The guy your thinking of was Don and his wife Franki. The bought a house in Sunsites. Sadly Don did pass a few years back and Franki moved back where they used to live in Oregon I think with their daughters. They were both good friends to me.

Vic can speak for himself. I hear he has been pretty busy.

J-H ruined Coyote gods, banned too many good people. But it was his house, so it was what it was. I did meet a lot of good people there and made some great friends. Also got the 17 Bug from that site. One person there did look at the 223 as a cannon and a shotgun as a butchers tool.

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2023 08:37 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Still sucking air,did move back home to Arizona. Figured I was born here, might as well take my Last breath here when that day comes.
Been busy as ever putting together the last place I'll likely live. Kept 5 acres next the home place we built. Put in a water well, septic system, and building a tiny house compound
Think I've come full circle on the coyotes. Started at 15 years old, and maybe shot 5 that year, about the number I did this winter. Maybe got out a total of 4 or five hunts. Next year I should about be wrapped up with construction projects, and I'll catch my stride again?

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2023 11:10 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Leonard I know who J.H. is, was just testing you old farts. May of been few years but J.H. posted on one of the face book hunting sites I believe and was on the east coast at the time. I was a member of the coyote gods site for a spell, never had a issue with J.H. and had him even go to bat for me few times. [Big Grin]

[ March 21, 2023, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2023 11:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes! Going to bat for TA is part of what a message board administrator agrees to do....often, and without much thank you's.

Yes, The Coyote Gods! Anybody save one of those old tyme tin type photos with the whole bunch. Bruce Kennedy, Jay Nistetter, 'ol Bob from Texas, John Henry Petroscouski (sp) and ....

To lend legitimacy, while still looking like he didn't want to be there, & while dressed in those rented period duds, & as well as the only truly credentialed .17 caliber coyote hunter of the bunch; the one, the only, Victor Carlson!

If you still have that photo, send it to my attention or even post it here and it's worth a one year free membership at HM! And, the rest of us will be much obliged, ye all Pilgrims and Amigos.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: So Victor is building a cozy little Hacienda right next door to the old homestead? I wonder what happened to his house-sitter while he was soaking up the sunshine in Florida? Sometimes those freeloaders are the hardest to evict and further wonder if he even got a thank you? Well, none of our bee's wax, and all's well that ends well, back in McNeal, reputed to be the coyote capital of Arizona.

edit: PS I just counted with my fingers 1953 + 15 years and durned if we didn't start killing coyotes about the same time!

[ March 22, 2023, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2023 02:39 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't have the tin-type but somewhere in my workshop is a Coyote Gods vhs tape.

--------------------

DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2023 08:46 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Vic didn't want me to know this or share it with everyone, but his secret is "if you will" is to wear blue denim shirts and jeans when hunting to elusive yodel dog, yote for you westerners, or as Danny G calls them, (one syllable) Kout's.

Sorry Effe, all the Vato's know the secret.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2023 09:10 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
And Leonard says I have poor grammar. LOL

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2023 10:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Leave me out of it, please!

I remember quizzing one of my favorite sources, gas station attendants, "where's the coyotes?

The answers come back such as; oh yeah one time they were over by some landmark and sometimes it's damned near every day.

One guy had a weird pronunciation. He said something like "Kots" while leaving out every other letter. Unique and I never forgot it. Of course, his "info" was worthless and why do I bother?

I also remember asking a local yokel, hey got any bobcats around these parts? And he said with conviction: "nope, never seen any around here!" And this was a place with a shitpot of cats, really good and reliable bobcat habitat. I love it when the locals are all knowed up on weather conditions, which turn out to be consistently WRONG! I asked a little store owner up in central Utah, once, about what looked like serious weather coming from the south. This guy looked like right out of Central Casting, ya know, (a lot like ko ko) and he looked very thoughtful while contemplating the question.... then he shook his head convincingly and said with authority: "no, I don't believe I've ever seen weather coming from the south." And that was comforting because we had a tent set up in that direction and not far away. That night we were snowed in like a friggin' blizzard and woke up with 6 inches of white stuff covering everything, the deer were moving and we scored before noon.

The moral of that story is to take "SAGE ADVICE" concerning weather predictions with a grain of salt, most of them don't have a clue! (lol) But, they always know more than "Californians" and aren't afraid to "splain you. And never ask for a good spot for doves! Those assholes will send you 30 miles into the next county just to be safe! They know that out of towners usually shoot up windows and scare the livestock! So if they get a chance to give you a "bum steer" they will, (quite righteously) save the entire county from destruction!

Bottom line: never trust local advice! They have zero incentive to be the least bit helpful.
lol

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2023 01:32 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean. One time out hunting a lady and her husband stopped to talk to me and said they had a group of cats up by the farm site last night and asked if I could TakeCare of them, I said sure and went over there with the dogs. Thought to myself this going to be fun, nobody as far as I know has run cats in Minn.. I got over to the farm and they had a nice 40-acre grove, so figured they still be in there. I casted the dogs towards the grove and just sat and waited and soon after they all lite up. It took a little chasing, but the dogs finally got them out of the grove and running for their lives. It turned out to be four Kots and dogs managed to bay up one of them before dark. Few days later get a call from another farmer he says he has a pair of Kots hanging out by his place, so I said I'll be right over. Had tracks all over the place so I just casted dogs into the grove and in short time here they come with a pair of vixens running out front. Slick little bastards made it to the creek overgrown with plum brush and just ran little circles, dogs never did catch them. LOL

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2023 04:02 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"Kots" ............... ??????? [Confused]

That would be Minni-Soda Speak for ......... ????

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted March 23, 2023 04:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, don't ask me?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters