The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Fair warning! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Fair warning!
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2023 03:29 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I love Tal and Fay, I declined his more than generous offer. Rumors that I took over Tally-Ho have been going around for quite awhile. The only thing I can think of is that I talked Tal into making special limited color runs of his call that only I could sell.
About the only notable thing I did was originate the Two-pointer coyote.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2023 03:49 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. But you were selling them then, right? If so that's probably where I got that from, my bad.

Two pointer coyotes? You got some catching up to do now we have 3 pointers.

[ January 20, 2023, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2023 04:02 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW I used 22-250 for coyotes for many years. I tried v-max 223 (55 grain) for awhile. Too many coyotes recovered enough after a good hit only to run off sometimes up to 50 yards before piling up. Got tired of that crap and starting using my 243 deer rifle. Never looked back. Coyote fur is worthless in places I hunt so bigger calibers don't bother me. Rare, rare, rare if I hunt up north when it's cold. My go-to fur gun is a 450 Bushmaster. Basically because I cannot resist calling when I'm out after hogs in Texas.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2023 06:46 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's a mystery. But I do know this, I know some very serious coyote hunters that don't fuck around with marginal calibers. They hammer their coyotes with 243's and 25'05's.

This really is a topic that just will not die. I know that the various 17's punch way over their weight. And, 5.56mm has killed many a human.

It's a fucking mystery, for sure. But, I have probably made mention a few times that while also there are die hard serious contest hunters taking no chances with anything short of a 243, neither have I seen anybody at one of these coyote contests talk about bringing his trusty 17. That I have definitely never seen. Yup, a mystery.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2023 04:13 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I did a contest with R-Shaw one year had my 17 Pred. along. A stormed moved in that mourning and the area we were to hunt got blown out by high winds. Only called one coyote in I believe first stand Randy didn't see it, and I was afraid to shoot as Randy was in front of me someplace and I didn't need Randy bang flopping on the ground. We tried few more stands it was just too windy. Randy went home soon as the storm blew past, and I went calling. I killed enough coyotes first day to win the contest times 3 if we didn't get blown out of area. Randy Roede was impressed with my take for the day and also the next 3 days and all the kills was done with my 17 cal. and never felt the need to bring out my 22-250 ackley. All the coyotes I did kill was located like 3 days prior to the day I hunted. Randy Roede road along one night and we located like 30 some coyotes which Randy said I had more than enough for a contest, so we called it a night. Wish Randy Shaw would of been there then he sees how it's done in the northland and would of had a great time, I know I did. LOL

--------------------

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2023 08:14 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been here in awhile but I'm glad to see nothing has changed!

And I think I got banned for using a 223 in an AR-15 to kill coyotes once or twice so I'll just pass on commenting about how well it works. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2023 10:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If you got banned, you wouldn't be here, so you didn't. I only started it to stir the shit.

And, remember, this kid doesn't care what you use, or is it....nevermind; welcome back from where you been.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: just to clarify, HM hasn't banned more than you can count on one hand, total, in 20 years. You gotta really misbehave, to get that, like insult the proprietor, but raving about what a 223 is capable of, will get you nothing but disagreement, and we tend to disagree, A LOT!

[ January 30, 2023, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2023 10:55 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately, when we do disagree we usually can't stay on topic long enough for it to matter.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2023 10:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's a component of the DNA at Huntmastersbbs.com. It's preferred that you not stay on topic. as much as possible

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dan
Member # 4563

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2023 09:42 AM      Profile for Dan   Email Dan         Edit/Delete Post 
Banned? Who got banned?
Posts: 41 | From: AZ | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2023 06:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad call by Tom!

see here:

TOM64
Member # 561

posted January 30, 2023 08:14 AM

"I haven't been here in awhile but I'm glad to see nothing has changed!

And I think I got banned for using a 223 in an AR-15 to kill coyotes once or twice so I'll just pass on commenting about how well it works. [Big Grin]"

So, nobody got banned

I can't figure out how, or why you have no other posts?

[ February 12, 2023, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2023 04:35 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard: I am going to buy a suppressor soon. I wish I would have years ago. I paid $1695 for hearing aids about 4 years ago and recently paid $1400 to replace them because they stopped working. Both sets were from costco. I don't want to damage my ears any more than necessary. Oh, I could wear ear muffs but they get hot in the desert. BTW: I use a 243 on coyotes and will soon be using a bigger caliber. I want them dead.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2023 03:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it seems to me that my hearing is is bad as it can get, but I still wear ear plugs like at the range, etc. But not while hunting.

I also bought hearing aids from Costco, but I got the inside the ear type, I think they cost me more than $3,000? I lost one in a bed at the Colorado Belle, romping with some female and then I have never worn the other one.

These had ten programs, you could select on for speech in a crowd or for driving with the wind blowing and they had a channel for classical music and one for shooting, I forget others but you had to press a button and scroll for the one you wanted.

It made a difference in that I could actually hear the turn signals rather than my wife telling me that I had my turn signal on. I pretty much read lips any way.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: oh yes, suppressors. You know, I refuse to believe that a fucking suppressor can cost twice as much as a Glock! And then the double insult of that $200 high way robbery Fed stamp. It's a damned ripoff, any way you look at it. On the one hand I feel like a nimrod without one, out hunting. But I think they do change your point of impact enough to matter, in some cases. It might be a bit of a stattus symbol too? They should be free, Federally and maybe cost $200 bucks but what they charge is excessive.

[ February 17, 2023, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2023 09:19 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
You right about the price on a suppresser Leonard way overboard. Takes less man hours and material to make one compared to a custom rifle. I'd rather shoot a 17-center fire all day than own a high-priced suppresser. But if you listen to mule team six you can't just use any old suppresser brand you have to have the one they use cause its a few disciples quieter than its competitors. Like a coyote going to tell the difference. Mule team six not smart enough to figure out it's not the sound coming out of the suppresser but the crack of the bullet going supersonic speed that rattles them. Just watch any vid. with one being used around group of coyotes and see their reaction. Need to save your hearing then take up fishing. LOL

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2023 02:16 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hearing ???
What hearing ???

Have any of the Peanut Gallery used Walker Game Ears as everyday hearing aids ???

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2023 09:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things:

First, now that you mention it, TA is right, it's that snap as the bullet passes overhead, not the blast at the muzzle.

And second, I was going to say something about the Walker Game Ear, myself. They work damned good and last I heard, they were $3?? or so? And even if you put them on just for hunting, at the very least, you have two things going on. One, you will be able to hear your caller, and another thing, you can hear coyote yips that might let you know that you are busted, which is a more and more common event, these days when everyone and his brother has a Foxpro blaring while they roll.

We used to have a member from up in Idaho that explained to me how he rigged up game ears for everyday wearing. I forget the guys name but he did have a slick set up.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2023 12:18 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you mention it Koko. I had a pair of Walker game ears (ear muffs). Think mine was called the quads as they picked up the sound at the front and behind you. Took a little time to adjust to them and I used mine mostly for locating coyotes. At first, I had the wife along with me at night when locating and I get a direction from her as to where she heard the howls come from and soon had the games ears figured out. Also tried the single unit that just fits in your ear like a hearing aid but was very difficult to get a direction as to where the sound was coming from and I didn't want to buy one for the other ear and found out the game ears worked the best. My hearing loss is due to being around loud heavy equipment, not much from shooting a gun as I used the 17 centerfires mostly. Company got better equipment now that runs much quieter and found over time some of my hearing has returned but still difficult to pick up a coyotes howl past 1/2 mile. One of my puppies liked my game ears more and tried to eat the dam things so I been doing without them last few years. LOL

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2023 01:49 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll check out the Walker behind the ear ones when I go to Cabela's to burn a bunch of points.

My hearing loss is from a lifetime of women screaming "OH GAWD" right in my ear.
[Big Grin]
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2023 02:54 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko a bedroom blanket set comes with two extra small pillows. Try using one of them on your next adventure, may save what hearing you have left! As good as a suppresser. LOL

[ February 18, 2023, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2023 03:01 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
women screaming "OH GAWD"
I know just what you mean Koko. I stayed at a hotel one week while working on the road. Wife came to visit and one of my neighbors complained to the hotel manager about all the noise. She knocked on my door and I answered it, she said we need to keep the noise down. I told her It was coming from the room next to mine where two construction workers shared a room that night. [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2023 03:35 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2023 05:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and I have heard that the most macho bunch, football players have that habit of patting each other on the fanny; and can you adjust my jockstrap, it's binding my balls and I can't reach it from the front.

On the other hand, many claim that is an old wife's tale, so I never spent that much time in that sweaty locker room. Full of football players is just about the most reeking you will ever experience. For sure a jockstrap goes unwashed all season and the socks must be beat against the locker door repeatedly to soften them enough to put them on and jamb them into your cleats. It's primitive, Neanderthal behavior as only teenage males can accomplish.

All this is second hand info, I don't know it personally, okay?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: and as to construction workers sharing a room, all I know is what I see on the Village People video, so it includes cowboys with chaps and motorcycle officers; what's the other's, I don't remember? Indian chief, construction worker and biker. No predator hunters, Victor! No Mexican wrestler sneakers either.

[ February 18, 2023, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2023 08:57 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
So the ole 223 debate is still going. [Big Grin]

I decided to assemble another AR15 in 223 for this fall. I used it a little out by Vics last month. Hell I even ran an AR15 in 17 Rem for a while. I don't shoot that far though, hell 300 yards is a long poke for me. I am too lazy to look up the numbers but guessing whatever my Tikka 22-250 does at 300, my little 223 can prolly do at 200 and closer.

I do cheat some on the 223, I actually improve them AI. TA actually skinned a one of the Bobcats I shot at Pauls place with a 223AI (get together) years back.

I will admit that I do shoot my bolt actions more consistently accurate than the AR's.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2023 09:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What a relief 😅 for ko ko! He has been quizzing me for days as to exactly WHO is this member by the name of “Dan”?

So who pops in, out of the blue? But DanS, and that should clear up things a bit.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

edit: ko ko, please note the “scorched earth” custom title?

[ March 10, 2023, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2023 10:35 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Well KoKo, I am the one that ran into you hunting in the place that is named after that guy with the big knife. [Smile]

Haven't been hunting as much as I like. Retired and goofing on my Harley when the weather is nice, looking into fishing. Visited with Vic and Dorothy when I was out there. Looking into getting another dog, Asked, and Cal gave me some advice.

Oh yea building another 17 Wildcat. LOL, The cannon 17-204 is sometime too much gun with those 30gr bullets.

Just reading a bunch of post I missed while gone. LB, I told you at one of those get-togethers, I'll say it again your wit/humor still cracks me up.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters