The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Back after them (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Back after them
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2024 04:51 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly what benefit do think you derive from spinning the caller on your head 360 degrees?
Ive seen you make mention of it over the years, but never an explanation of why you think it holds any benefit.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2024 06:50 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly My thoughts. And all that movement can’t be beneficial on a stand.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2024 06:53 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
sound travels same distance all around thus more area is covered. Thus fewer stands need to be made. But only applies to open country calling and if locating has not been done prior. Not sure where you came up with the head thingy but just one hand will do and turn caller 360 as you howl or play distress.
Just think in most areas coyotes have roughly five miles of terr. and I can cover all that in just two stands. The bush people who just set caller down in front have to make more stands before they get into them but then again if you in the right spot in the bushes you don't need to call 360 and if you got the numbers to call to in first place. You guys think everywhere else is like AZ or Nev. or Cali. well got some bad news its not and kind of makes you look stupid if you think so. LOL

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2024 07:02 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
🙄🥱
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2024 07:17 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
UT its done at start of a stand then caller put down on ground facing the front of stand and that's how they come in. No more movement than you walking in and sitting caller down in place of choice then walking back to where you plan to sit or do you crawl into your stand area? Can also rotate caller 360 from sitting position no big whoop. Maybe that's why I can go into a pasture that's been over called by F-P guys and clean up on the ones they miss cause they only calling one direction. Think about.
With breeding going on here the coyotes been moving pretty good, hard to tell where they are but I got the area covered and only had one empty stand out of six the other night. But you know I don't really care how others do it if what they are doing works for them, but you go look in the other forums it's not working for others. Also, at times I will get some coyotes to also howl off in distance which tells me where they are, and I be over there soon no big whoop. Also, people happy with just skimming more power to them but I like to go after what's there requardless of their age or how much they been called to.
Other night went back at two groups and took another from each, one was 7th time in and other 8th time in.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 12, 2024 08:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Do seminars Tim. Charge admission.

just to clarify; I get varied responses from hung up coyotes if I turn in a direction 180 degrees from where he or they are. There's some value in having the sound project in that direction away from where he is, waiting behind a bush and not moving. The coyote still hears the sound but now the sound sounds substantially different and I surmise that our hung up coyote might "think" my "rabbit" is moving away. I'm not trying to say that the coyote is thinking and analyzing the situation, but in some cases, he will move at an angle and it's surprising. The point is the sound projection in a different direction sometimes motivates our coyote to advance at an angle that doesn't mesh with the wind direction. I'm having a hard time explaining it without a chalk board. Whatever, I am forced to tinker with sound direction once in a while when I don't have anything better to do. lol Basically, it will start them moving, but not to me, off at a 45+ angle, one way or the other. It's not very scientific, but it provokes a reaction where he might move but not in to me, more like 45 degrees one way or the other. I know this is confusing, and I'm sorry I can't explain it any clearer than my feeble attempt. What I'm saying is that I sometimes direct/project the sound in a direction opposite from where the coyote is. Boy was that a mess!

Good hunting. El Bee [Cool]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 14 posted February 13, 2024 01:57 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
you explained it just fine Leonard.

A majority of the coyotes will work to the center of your sound cone where its the loudest and yes at times you can get the coyote to move or shift positions. It can bring them in a little closer before they go down wind. After I rotate my caller i point it in direction, I want them to come in from.
You can also turn it a little as they come so they tend to favor where you want them to be before they try for downwind. I think we on same page sort of.
Another thing about using coyote vocals the downside is when using them the coyotes will tend to want to circle more to see or smell who there or size up the other you might say..
Wish you had a better phone then I can show you some nice footage on coyotes coming in at night.
Thermal has a video recorder or camera which comes in handy when you miss a shot it will show you where the bullet went and where you had the crosshair when you pulled the trigger, good training aid you might say.
I got a few tight spots I been saving as Im waiting for my order of coyote urine to show up, and see how the coyotes react to that when I have them circled around me and pissed off.
People tend to get a brain lock or mind set you might call it, better off if they just stay home and watch Randy Anderson vid.s [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2024 10:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Victor is old school in a target rich environment. He doesn’t need any tricks or hi tech gear. Coyote are quite eager to die from 17 caliber chip shots down there in McNeal.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2024 11:56 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
sure. Have wondered why he just don't use a pistola instead.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2024 11:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I pondered the question for a minute and bet he has! Maybe he will share? Bruce Kennedy told me about Vic’s exploits with handgun. At any event, he’s the man to beat, but he’s so damned shy, he never brags, so it’s like pulling teeth to get him to open up. I don’t even know what they call that type of competition, bowling pins or targets or speed or exactly what he is expert at? Maybe all of it? Maybe we could somehow get Dorathee (sp) his lovely wife, to fill in the blanks? Or his Liberal friend 20gauge? Tim Behle?

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2024 01:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Think one time it was mentioned he used a smith-Wesson so it can't be a speed thing. Maybe he shoots those human form targets that peek around a corner. or maybe a egg shoot? Whatever it is he got Taylor Swifts attention.

[ February 14, 2024, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2024 06:04 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I use two different S&W revolvers in my competition shooting, and yes, they are a "speed thing" as well as an accuracy thing. Why would you think a revolver can't shoot at speed Tim?
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2024 07:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember a guy, Ed McGiveren possibly that could make six shots out of a wheel gun sound like a single roar.

Speaking of revolvers, will one of those old time pistols fire if the hammer is pulled back 3/4 of the way & released / no finger on the trigger ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2024 09:09 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Munden was pretty fast, but he wasn't using any out of the box pistols. Also in his shows you just look at his hands all black from gun powder you know it took some time to perfect his shot for the cameras. LOL

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2024 09:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I examined one of his S&W once, when riding along somewhere. I casually opened the cylinder and the cartridges spilled out on me and embarrassed, I put it back together. But those chambers were so polished and overbore that serious resizing the empties must be necessary? I'm pretty sure he does this so they drop out and never need the plunger while he speed loads. I'm sure it's a custom modification to facilitate reloading and he must use a speed loader, as well.

Notice his reply was as brief as possible, you never get much out of him. Actually, I'm surprised we got that much!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Tim-don't bother to respond, you will just stick your foot in your mouth. Again.

[ February 14, 2024, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2024 09:52 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a clean cylinder Leonard, no honing or overbore, that would play hell on brass.
I do use speed loaders on the 6 shot revolver, but use full moon clips on my 8 shot. Haven't had it but 6 or 8 months, but beginning to appreciate the speed of a reload with the full moon clips,just drop the whole thing in, no manipulating the loaders as with the other setup.
Mundens hands were black Tim, because the quick draw shooting you viewed he uses black power blanks with wax bullets, messy stuff.
I shot 2 years in a row 84 and 85 at the World Speed Shooting Championships held in California. Bob Munden was one of the guest shooting exhibitionists. He did his usual fast draw show with blanks and single action revolver, he can surely draw and shoot fast,just a few hundredths of a second,popping balloons.
I was most impressed when he asked for a female spectator's diamond ring, pulled out a 44 mag revolver, turned his back to a hillside with what looked to be a 36 inch diameter white steel gong at what I would guess was 200 yards up the hill. He laid the revolver over his left shoulder, held the ring to his eye,
apparently using it as a mirror, and took one shot and hit that mother fucker.
There Leonard, my longest post to date

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2024 10:14 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep Vic. there always a gimmick with those guys. But what I meant was his hand was all black before he even started to shoot so yeah, he had to be practicing for the camera as well.

So you been using those S&W on coyotes as well or just use them for comp.?

Edit to add Bob did a show using a colt 45 also.

[ February 14, 2024, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2024 10:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
https://youtu.be/vwY9N8SfkSQ?si=xj-oWr2FlZQsOOnX

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2024 12:01 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
First off Vic forgive me here I have no bad feelings or hate for you just saying is all. When I first met you thought you was just another cool dude to hang with lots of knowledge when you wanted to share it with others, but admit I liked Tim B. just little more cause he was a rifleman.

The last few years I got into using thermals for coyote calling and if you go to any of those forums it's just a brand war mostly going on. Supposedly the best thermal is a Trijicon because the military also uses them but for their own reasons. They sell for over 10K. [Eek!]

I have a buddy in law enforcement that calls coyotes and uses one, his mom bought it for him. Thing is with that thermal is it also suffers from fog or high humidity nights, no way to get around that no matter what brand you have. Its is a little more operator friendly compared to other brands but that's about it and other companies also carry a good warranty. Some guys like to take pictures or film their hunts with them and that's where the Trijicon shines I guess if a guy is into all that. The Trijicon is also smaller and more compact and most likely why Military chose it to begin with but just because it's approved by military don't mean it's the best, just means it fits their application/spec.s is all. Someone probably got a nice kickback as well getting military to buy them.
I use a ATN thor4 they have a track recorded like fox-pro, ship it out to the buyers and they will fix any issues latter when sales slowdown. LOL I chose to buy a refurbished thermal which had any issues already fixed and got it at a much lower price and no complaints so far it does what its suppose to just maybe not as perfect as the Trijicon and I paid 75% less for it. Another good thermal is the Iray TL-35 v2 bolt which had great reviews and it has a pretty good picture long as the weather is nice, I paid 600.00 more for that thermal, takes nice vid.s but when weather gets bad its not so friendly compared to my thor.
Wind blowing tonight and its snowing finally so I couldn't get out calling tonight so sorry for all the rambling. LOL

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2024 08:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Shazam! LONGEST POST-TO DATE!

Now if we can get (both him and TA) to use paragraphs, to space out his posts and make them easier to read, that would be swell! Anyway, so you have been in Kalifornia twice, then?

You know, I have family in AZ and they all act like crossing that river into the People's Republik is worse than sneaking into North Korea in a clown suit, just to be sure you are noticed.
And yet, Arizona is becoming Californicated daily and weekly and it won't be long before we won't be able to tell the difference.

I only say this to annoy hard core AZ residents, (or citizens) to differentiate them from the wetbacks.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS see how those paragraph thingies work?

edit: I'm flabbergasted to see TA use paragraphs, above!
What a day this has been, TA using paragraphs!
And, Victor making the longest post in memory!

REJOICE, PEANUT GALLERY!

PPS
where's ko ko?
Hello?
Sage words of wisdom,
where are you?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ February 15, 2024, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2024 08:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, big revelation above. Not only does Victor use TWO Smith & Wesson revolvers, he has one a conventional 6 shot and now we know that he has an 8 shot model.

That has to make a huge difference when speed counts! and full moon clips seems almost like cheating? Huge advantage over a regular 6 shot speedloader.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks! Still-he must polish the hell out of those chambers!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2024 09:04 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
they have a chamber solvent for wax build up? or does it just melt after each shot and then run onto there hands/gun??

[ February 15, 2024, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2024 11:02 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Question for Vic. Back when you did the F-P prostaff contest or what have you I think you called in 100 coyotes or more. Did you use just prey distress sounds or coyote vocals as well???

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2024 05:48 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Im a mere recreational predator hunter, never been a member of a ProStaff for any call company. I participated in FPs hunt contest 2 years in a row, with my only impetus being, I wanted to kill more predators than one of the cocky guys that always won the contest. That of course never happened, he beat me two years running, sonofabitch was just better at it than I was, but it was fun trying.

Simply to much work thats for sure. I worked my ass off and spent to many days afield, and subsequently it just pegged my fun meter. My best year in the contest I did kill 109 coyotes as well as a handfull of fox and bobcats.
I have five sounds on my favorite list, numbered 1,2,3,4 and 5 they are the only 5 sounds Ive used over the last 20 years and never utilize the other hundred odd sounds the call has on it.
I have an old Johnny Stewart jackrabbit distress, a FP jackrabbit, a coyote death cry(whatever the hell that is), a Johnny Stewart gray fox fight sound and my absolute go-to sound for coyotes, a pirated WT cottontail distress, which has probably accounted for 90% of the coyotes Ive ever called.
So to answer your question, I only use one coyote vocalization, and rarely use that. If I call a pair or multiples, I will use it after smacking a coyote or two, then hit it. It has paid off enough times I keep it in the list of five.

[ February 15, 2024, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2024 09:52 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds simple enough and over 100 coyotes still dam good for your area and your age. Agree also it takes a lot of work, time and money to put up those kinds of numbers. Coyote death cry just a guess but perhaps a spin-off of an adult coyote in distress.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters