The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Back after them (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Back after them
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2023 03:37 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Went out last night, humidity little high and also got a little rain here in Dec., how about that. Went looking for new areas to call and got lucky found a pair of coyotes. The special sound brought them in to about 300 yards and I then closed the deal with some vole mouse, yummy. Made few more stands and found what looked like 20-25 coon out in a field next to vacant grove. Maybe put one of thermals on my 22 Mag. and thin a few out some time. Oh I'm tired so off to bed.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2023 08:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Wow! Gonna be like a Gender Reveal? That's sooo trendy, these days!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2023 10:14 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It was a dark & stormy night ...... Suddenly a (suppressed) shot rang out.

Thermal scope ..........check.

Rangefinder ....... check.

Bullet drop calculator ...... check

Wiz-bang / cartridge combo .... check.

Mystery sound @ 300 yards ....... check.

Good lord people, where does this end ????? They're just coyotes. I can call them in to <300 yards and all I need is my Trusty Krusty.
By Ullr's beard, we're taking this waaaay to seriously.

Spoiler Alert; The 'secret sound' is the Song Of The Blue Whales.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2023 10:39 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Leonard.

You were close on guessing, LOL The sound is a Women screaming, studio grade. I was listening to some music on comp. this morning. Some songs were live recorded at a concert and could find same song recorded in a studio. Now if you compare sounds from other E-caller companies I would put them in the live recording group, sound ok but have a lot of background noise and just not as good as a studio recorded song and singer may have not put as much effort in it.
WT sounds are all studio grade, no one even comes close that I know of. Just an example: Lucky duck does a recording of a live coyote howling, sure it's a actual coyote but has too much junk mixed in and just don't sound right. Most of the junk is some high pitch squeaks, moans or low squeaks or what have you. That crap isn't needed as a coyote off in distance not going to hear it anyway so why even have or use it? Just edited it out. WT runs sounds also through a spectrograph I believe it's called and then edits the crap that don't qualify, thus ending up with good clean howl that can be played at full volume on big caller and most of the sound gets way out there. Thats what brings coyotes in to start and if you are dealing with some pressured coyotes the sound shines there as well. Sure, crappy sounds work at times but there are many times it just doesn't get job done. Nephew is finding that out with his F-P and if he wants to get in the game, he needs better sounds that F-P sells at a premium of course from MFK boyz. Those sounds should of come standard with caller to start with, piss poor marketing.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2023 10:47 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good lord people, where does this end ????? They're just coyotes. I can call them in to <300 yards and all I need is my Trusty Krusty.
By Ullr's beard, we're taking this waaaay to seriously.

Koko this isn't AZ or Kansas or S.D., whole another ballgame here. Best I can describe it is go look at a smart, shy, timid dog. Or better yet go call in some of your pressured coyotes that been called in, shot at or just scared shitless from getting too close to the guy calling. It's a different game here and you either play or you don't get, really simple. Not sure you have enough wide-open spaces for use of a thermal, maybe better off with out. You got way more coyotes than here so any old caller will work, one of them going to be close enough to hear it and want to come in. But now ask yourself there are days you go calling and see nothing, why is that? Cover to thick so can't spot them in time, not using right caller or sounds, not where they are to start with?
Yeah, I got some pretty good tools and also have had a pretty good track record for calling them in where other guys here are still struggling.

Edit to add: Day time stands? Good luck here, as your arrows would get wood rot before you called a daytime coyote in.

[ December 22, 2023, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2023 11:10 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the campouts I attended, many guys were there to hunt with others and see how they do it and compare it to their style of calling. Sit and talk with Leonard, Steve Craig, Major, professor and Gerry B. and pick their brains so they could up their game calling critters. I'm pretty much past that but still learn from coyotes as they best teacher for my area. To up my game special tools are needed and no different than a ADC trapper and special tools he uses as well. It's to up their game and put more coyotes up in front and down into the dirt. Leonard used special lights for at night and misting to up his game, it's no different here also.
Go to bar to play a friendly game of pool and you get a few guys want to play for quarters or big money and then they bring out the fancy pool stick, no different.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2023 04:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember once in Colorado, hunting Mule Deer. I had developed a shrill sound, like nothing you ever heard, but it called in coyotes, not to the truck, but close enough to see my yellow Nissan, and watched us prowl right at timberline.

I had to take the front brake pad apart to get at this damned little pinecone bud and that cured it, no more coyotes watched us chug along through 8-10 inches of damp snow. I never again was so lucky, just a real pure shriek reminded of a prowling Shrike! Shoulda been there, I'm not kidding!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2023 05:58 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
That Blue Whale Song is a sound that I do want to get around to trying. It should freak out any hikers that hear it if nothing else.
have a tape of a baby crying that has called in a few coyotes.
Squealing brake ??? I wonder if microphone feedback could work ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2023 07:10 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
If Bill M. could have recorded a blue whale sound, he would make it work, that's how he spent his life recording animals and putting sound at studio grade and getting the right harmonics out of it.

Squeaky brakes? I think Bills porcupine, prairie dog and few other sounds come pretty close to it. The man was way ahead of his time and the guy to thank for all the other e-call makers being here.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2024 11:52 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
My 22-250 ackley is now home with a brand-new Brux barrel. Off to the range I go. LOL

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2024 01:04 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
trip to range good but have to toss some primers that are bad. Going to mount the thermal yet today.

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2024 05:41 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I Have owned the Foxpro CS-24c, the WT Mighty Atom, and the Lucky Duck Roughneck. In my opinion Lucky Duck has the best Coyote Vocals.
Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2024 06:26 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have both lucky duck and WT Laut. Duck lacks volume and library a mess but still good caller. My Wt is about the same as the 2030 model, very loud which creates a terr. or aggressive response when coyote vocals are used. Nothing close to that yet. I still have my Atom its mostly set up for wolf, bigcats and southern pred. and not the same as the 2030 in performance. F-P I can't say anything about them, I never owned one cept for a few minutes then gave it to a kid at calling contests, I had no use for it and don't want one, just walk on by and smile is all. Wt has a new sound even snowcamen or what ever his name is don't have it, been doing a heck of a job. Pat doing a good job of filling Bills shoes. Funny thing Leonard and others hate it when a area is flooded with F-P callers, I like it cause they leave so many coyotes behind still alive, no fear of going into a area after they have called it. WT has a new DVD out on calling coyotes and use of vocals, I recommend it for everyone that's a die hard caller. [Wink]

[ January 22, 2024, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2024 07:52 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah you’re probably right about the volume but as far as Coyote Vocals go Lucky Ducks got WT beat. Both Quality and Quantity
Good Hunting Chad

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2024 01:09 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
You must of got studio grade sounds with lucky duck, I didn't . LOL Believe what you like...

On another note got out with re barreled ackley, and killed its first coyote, nice big male not sure on weight and don't care.
I had to call a tight area along a creek with overgrown pasture running through it, plenty of thick cover and tuff get coyotes to come out or even see them in a thermal. Called this spot many time just couldn't get any shots or get winded from coyotes on other side of road in same crap. Be good spot to try misting but no luck getting supplies for that.
At end of creek by road was a small hill on east side of the creek and this is where I would hide my truck as its mostly flat open ground once you get away from drainage.
I drove in parked my truck and then placed my WT caller on the roof facing north and then walked to the road and then walked west and when I got halfway to the bridge I set my Lucky duck caller on shoulder of the road facing north as well.
I walked west then to the bridge and set up inside right away just west of bridge. 2 minutes of vocals I had them lit up and coming from the north as well as across road from the south in the drainage. Just like before they wouldn't peak out of the grass, just sit around and bark and howl.
I started with that new WT sound and then backed it up with another vocal from the lucky duck, sounded like a party going on. Heads started popping up and few coyotes on hind legs bouncing around in grass trying to get a look, they didn't like what was going on. Finally, a big male comes out in open about 150 yards out and the ackley sends a little greeting gift its way. Things got quite so I just sat and waited a little bit then went back to playing both callers off and on, duplex calling. Coyotes had no idea of where I was and soon, they were back and just hiding close by kept on with barking and howling, they were pissed, and they didn't want to leave so I just kept working them.
I did a reversal in vocals and gave them something they could handle and soon I had a coyote on southside of road stick its head up so now I knew where it was and got it to come closer.
after some time, I had it on topside of a cutbank standing on a snow drift and sent a little medicine its way. It looked like something hit the coyote in the head and kicked it in the ass at same time and down the bank it goes and falls to the ice.
By the way this is same area or spot I took my very first daytime coyote years ago. 3 stands made last night 11 coyotes called in which is something that never happen years back under a full moon without a thermal.
Been having a Redfox come into town and sitting on my deck and also a pair of coyotes come up into the yard to visit the dogs out at the kennel, I know they want the dogs to come out and play few games. LOL

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2024 01:15 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have 53 coyote vocals on WT, what does lucky duck have????? How many are natural and not some recording of a coyote making noise with cattle prod up its ass?

[ January 23, 2024, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2024 01:50 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I think mine has about the same number of Coyote Vocals as yours I think it is between 50-55 not sure. Yes I ordered some extra Vocal too. But Tim this isn’t my first rodeo. I’ve had and used all three callers and I’m not pulling this stuff out of my ass. Just what I’ve observed. That being said my brother still runs a foxpro and those new MFK sounds are pretty damn good.

Good Hunting Chad

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2024 03:20 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I listen to WT all the sounds sound fine and clear, I listen to lucky duck the quality not there, they need better record equipment or more time in sound studio. And many of their vocals mean same thing just another coyote howling which can be good for change up but same. Here the key to coyotes is aggression to create terr. response if calling to more than one coyote. As stand progresses a coyote will tell or show you what it can handle then you need to decide if you need to tone it back to something they think they can handle or just keep pushing them. In area rich with coyotes all you need is few vocals and good prey sounds till you hit a area that's been called hard or you are dealing with fewer coyotes then you need to up your game plan. Eastern coyotes dont respond always like western coyotes I been there its two different games and many guys here that call in the Dakotas as well will tell you that, different game different Strangite. Take Leonard I think he used mostly prey distress in his areas, koko gets by with a hand call, wish it was that simple here but its not.

Cal T. finally admitted it's not same game everywhere in his pod cast with seal team six.

[ January 23, 2024, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2024 03:38 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
But hey UT caller just use what works for you, that's all that matters.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2024 07:39 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a simple solution to areas that have been over-called ............. A map & a gas pedal. Time to go explore new places. (We have a LOT of public land down here.)

Never underestimate a mouth call. I have my eye on a different type of screamer that I'm told is REALLY loud and high pitched. Sadly, my hearing is so bad that all I hear on the demo sound is a loud 'whooshing'. Plus it's spendy & I'm cheap. [Eek!]

Somewhere, misting was mentioned. (This ought to make Leonard groan) If you can't get urine, try rinsing a fresh hide and wringing it out into a clean plastic bucket. Filter a couple of times and spray away. Beware of back-drafts. Big yuck when the breeze shifts.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2024 08:20 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
public land? yeah Koko you do. I remember they said when there hunt where you like just stay out of people's front yards. We have public land as well cept my area many of coyotes don't like it, it stinks of city dwellers. CRP is place to be but most private with few walk in areas. I'll hunt that as well as agg land.

UTcaller you using a thermal yet?

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2024 08:49 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you’re totally correct Tim, if you like the WT and are enjoying success with it that’s what it’s all about.

As far as the Thermal goes no I haven’t gotten into it. My Nephew has used thermal quite a bit and kills quite a few but I guess I’m getting old I like day calling and sleeping at night. I think the Thermal game is for the young guys. Lots of them are using it around here and posting there hero photos though so I guess it’s a pretty good way to get some Coyotes.I just can’t justify that much money. Especially when I still kill plenty of Coyotes during the day.

Good Hunting Chad

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2024 08:50 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say those MFK vocals are really good.

I do use a thermal scanner for daytime use.

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2024 12:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do use a thermal scanner for daytime use.
Yep sure lights up those peakers. I think it be great for cats as well since they just sit and blend in so well.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2024 12:47 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
UTCALLER I know what you mean. I run dogs in day and try to call at night sure shortens up the clock as far as sleep goes. Thermal just ups the game in my part of the country and allows for more kills. Just way it is here when coyotes don't want to venture out during the day. Had a buddy make trip to north Dakota and they called for 24 hr.s straight, back of pickup was full, can't beat that I guess.
Had a buddy also out of Mo. made two day trip to Kansas and just called at night and killed most of Lances coyotes plus five cats.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters