The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Back after them (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Back after them
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2024 03:29 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
If my brother didn’t have a Foxpro. I’d be real tempted to buy another one just for those MFK sounds.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2024 08:52 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Just buy the sounds from F-P. Kind of the deal these days with F-p. get so so sounds then have to buy the good one's.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2024 09:10 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of a funny thing if you go back and read archives. Like if a coyote is threat barking or what have you the game is over ect. I find that not to be true at all, just means they not sure of something. I've worked over five groups of coyotes this year and they make all kinds of sounds and had them on stand for over two hours till I killed one or decided to move up and come back little later and set up different. If game over a coyote will just leave which happens with some of the Lobo's, if they stay the game is still on. [Big Grin]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2024 09:46 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
You probably can get whatever sounds you want on a new foxpro caller don’t know for sure. But why would I buy foxpro sounds for my Lucky Duck when they won’t work.

I have a lot of aggressive Coyote Vocals on my LD. Use them all the time and they call coyotes.

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2024 09:48 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh they don't? thought you could down load all that stuff. well just have to buy direct I guess. From what I was told on F-P you have to buy the good stuff, not 100% just second hand news

[ January 25, 2024, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2024 01:57 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Had to go out today with dogs to see if I could find a coyote I shot in crp. with my ackley. I casted dogs in the area but they stayed just little too south of where I thought it should be and not even 200 yards from me they jumped a coyote in a ditch with big willow patch. Thought maybe this was it but dogs ran it for good hour or so and couldn't get it to bat so I thought nope they must of jumped its mate. Got dogs caught and put back in one more time and nope no can find.
Took dogs back to kennel and then stopped back at where I killed the coyote. I left boot mark in the dirt for direction i was pointed at time of shot and had a farmyard light for my line. so i lined up with my mark and just kept walking through crp.
got about 200 yards from where I shot and saw little clear spot in crp and thought this has to be it. I just stood there and looked then I spotted it laying right where I had shot it.
Checked maile coyote over and it was a nice shot just behind shoulder no exit. This coyote and its mate have been called to four other times just couldn't get them lined up for a shot, too much cover and a drainage ditch.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2024 06:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, first of all, a hell of a high percentage of down coyotes are never recovered because they are poorly marked before the shot.

Be that as it may, sometimes they ain't dead and move on ya. I have found a trick that works very well in CRP, or similar is to get right down at the level, maybe a foot off the ground and scan around. This is a good way to pick up blood smears against the weeds or whatever vegetation there is. I have been able to "track" many coyotes that aren't freely bleeding, dropping blood on the ground, but a side/flank wound gets wiped on the dead grass or whatever?

But, if you are otherwise stumped on the exact line, it absolutely helps to go back to the location from where the shot was made. This is why I almost never move the truck, if you are hunting out of the back. This comes up frequently on multiples. It takes hard concentration to remember landmarks when they are spread out, but if you can leave the rifle where it is, secure, that will help if you don't have a laser marking your downed animals.

As far as aggressive sounds, that can be a negative with pups, early in the season. And aggressive can waste time dicking around with a dog that just ain't coming in. One time I had been playing a pair out of sight for long time, at least for me? The speaker was out maybe 50 feet to the left side and I was going to use a diaphragm and give them a vole sound. So, I had taken my eye off the direction where they were hiding... this was a day stand. Before I knew it both of them were running in at high speed and charging the speaker, I guess even if the sound was all the way off, they still hear it because the first one had his nose stuck in the speaker. From that point, it was just lucky that I got both of them; the second one up his ass flat out, beyond a hundred, at least.

Going back in the morning, if you can do it has paid off many times and especially cats, they seem inclined to hang around rather than limp off with four busted legs, as has actually happened to me on a coyote one time! The fucker was crawling away like a snake and making decent time, when I was looking through the scope and picked him up and directed my buddy "a little right" he actually heard him scratching along, then he ran up and killed him with the shotgun. We won that hunt by the one coyote, too!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I was just beginning a jackrabbit squall on a Scirce when this coyote came through two bushes, and just as I let it out, the coyote was so startled he actually fell over backwards five feet from me! I'm not sure but I think I got him leaving town?

[ January 25, 2024, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2024 10:23 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a lot of aggressive Coyote Vocals on my LD. Use them all the time and they call coyotes.
So do i on my Ducky, thing is the coyotes approach different compared to the WT. Less circling and more direct travel with WT. Thats also reason for more volume at full. I remember when I use to call the Dakotas most coyotes came in straight line to the speaker then stop for look or turn to go down wind at about 200 yards or less. Speaker direction helps at times as well. Always turn it more into the wind or right, left depending on wind direction to get coyote to move more in that direction before it decides go down wind direction which puts it closer to me for shot. Just little things that help in the game.

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2024 07:09 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
The WTF is a good caller with good sounds but I don’t believe it’s any better than the high end Foxpro, or Lucky Duck.

Good Hunting Chad

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2024 09:09 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
My LD came with bad sound chip, guys I talked with said my hearing was getting bad, I said yes a little but thing was my WT sound just fine. LOL Got ahold of Rick and he sent new chip, no big deal but wonder how many other guys that are out there got bad chip and can't tell difference and still using it.
I pretty sure you take those LD sounds and run them through a WT 2030 they will distort. It is a nice caller though for what it is no complaints its been doing good job so far, some nights it kind of sucks when I have to drag two callers out on a stand. When making new stands in areas I have not called before either caller works on new stuff but when I have to go back at a group I been pounding for a month taking one coyote at a time then you see the benefits of one caller over the other.
Had a coyote I called two nights ago just couldn't get it to come under the 300 yard mark for nice shot. Went back last night in a thick fog could only see about 100 feet going down road in truck. I set up at same spot by some round hay bales and had him come in in five minutes to 100 yards going straight for the caller. Got his attention fast. Most of the groups I been calling to have been called more than five times, just didn't have a shot or took just one as I don't mag. dump on coyotes.
F-P I never really looked at one up close cept I saw Kelly Jacksons one time and listen to a pirated sound then just walked off
, they don't interest me. LOL

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2024 10:12 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
It’s funny how that works. I can totally see what you’re saying about a certain preference. I used a Foxpro CS24 for a number of years and loved it. My brother bought one so I decided to look at another brand so if the coyotes got used to hearing the Foxpro sounds to much I could change it up a little. So I bought the WT Mighty Atom, you know the big heavy one. I Hated the size and weight and absolutely hated the remote but it worked well calling coyotes.I used that for a couple years and sold it because it was a pain to pack around. I then bought the Lucky Duck roughneck and love it. In my opinion it has the best coyote vocals out there. My brother comments about that each time we go out. We usually use my caller when we hunt together. 😉

[ January 26, 2024, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2024 02:16 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I think my Atom got heavier over the years. No wolf season in site so it just sits for now and not planning any trips S-W either. Sometimes the LD. lacks in sounds to use for certain coyotes and I don't always know who I be calling too so that's why I bring both and some tight stands I also run both, keeps coyote from getting my scent.
To make Lance happy I gave the old estrus chirp a honest try last year and little this year. Think I called two in and the rest would circle half mile down wind and then come back way they came and just walk off.. LOL Not sure why the older coyotes don't like it or show so much caution. Maybe its a Kansas thing, not sure. Also find the louder a coyote vocal the more its inclined to trigger a coyote response and put them in an aggressive mood. When I ordered my new WT Pat didn't get the sounds in complete order as to how I wanted them so the numbers are different and takes a little time to get that sorted out again so the LD see's little more use. I use a lot of sounds over and over on a stand I have called several times that's not really the issue, coyotes don't think or have human brain. What sets them off is anything that's alien to them, not normal. Then you have to find what the coyotes aggression level is, body langue helps give the answer and then give coyote something it can handle which could be younger coyote vocals or female or just go to coon, Redfox distress or even a Vole mouse. Get them to lower that caution flag.

[ January 26, 2024, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2024 10:19 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
MFK has webb site or forums, so I checked them out. You have to scroll down aways but will find some of the new sounds they have out and can listen to them just like when you buy F-P sounds. On phone they sound pretty good but so do a lot of other sounds till you put some amp to their ass then they distort. Kind of looks like they want to target breeding season as they have a bunch of those sounds. So in a week or two a guy have to wait till next year to use them. LOL Most of breeding sounds I would consider med. in loudness or less, some of those sounds just not going to cut little wind or travel to far. Rabbit screams yep sounds like a rabbit nothing fancy about it.

Also looks like you can only get the sounds for a F-P so LD guys shit out of luck unless MFK has some you can put on another caller, not sure got tired of reading.
From reading post by guys who used the sounds they just going out basically and getting one coyote for the day or night or just on one stand, some guys had no luck so far, but you know if coyote not there to hear it it's not going to come deal. Someone thinks they need them to up there game so there F-P be more productive them have at the MFK sounds.

Good news is LD has a lot of those sounds as well just need to work on getting them studio grade.
WT has a few of them but nobody understands the WT and what its meant for along with the live sounds. The WT vocals are designed to get a response and to make them aggressive, terr. ect and that's what it does, wasn't meant to say hey girls lets fuck which can be a hit and miss anyway and seasonal somewhat.

In early days I kind of followed what Higgins preached and then hunted with Randy R. and found Higgins was way the fuck off base. Thing with Randy was he never give you the answer to anything he have you figure it out then let you know if right or going in right direction, he just get you started and leave rest up to you and the best teacher the coyotes. I have to watch it a little early in season with YOY but if they packed up then up its time to get aggressive and see how far they will go. and thing is I'm going back after same groups getting one at a time so what I'm doing, and callers used must be getting job done. I think anyone in right spot can call a virgin coyote in but what about the old whores? Lesson learned over the years? Coyote vocals at full volume and don't give up on them till they give up. Keep stands non-alien and you be fine. Pound them with aggressive sounds then tone it down a notch and see for yourself what happens. Oh I did see few vid.s with MFK in use yep, they had some hard chargers, but what if I told you can get same result when you go from vocals to vole mouse.
On one of the forums here on face book the kids are buying that shit up from MFK thinking its the next silver bullet. who going to tell them it won't work if they don't have big enough food plot or land to call in that has coyotes in first place. Or even a understanding of what sounds are and when and how to use them. LOL

Oh a heads up they just had the shot show and coming out with new thermals so shop around you can maybe get some good deals plus there are a lot of kids getting out of it as they found out you still need to know how to call coyotes for the thermal to work. [Roll Eyes] [Wink] [Wink]

P.S. MFK don't want you to share the sounds you buy with anyone else. Reminds me of Bill M., wonder how many going to get passed on for free? But they only good for other F-P's and most guys know those owners are never honest. LOL.

[ January 26, 2024, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2024 08:06 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
As little time as I spend calling at night anymore, I have a good spotlight that I can use and it only cost me a couple hundred bucks years ago. 👍😁
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2024 08:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting comment, UT. Since I had my surgery about 3 years ago, I sold both my rigs and haven't done any, myself. But, I miss it. Daytime and night calling are two different worlds. I sincerely think it's a shame that it doesn't interest more people.

Of course, there is the built in prejudice it has something to do with poaching deer or something? Anyway, I love it, but at this point, I probably won't ever go to the effort to build another rig, so it looks bleak in that direction.

Whatever.
Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 27, 2024, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2024 12:21 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve always enjoyed nightcalling(spotlighting). Especially in Nevada. And you’re right it is a totally different game. Wind seems to be a lot more critical at night they usually always circle down. My Nephew bought a thermal scope but for $6500 I just don’t see it. We seem to kill as many with a good spotlight as we do with thermal. Maybe if I was younger it would be a better investment. I like day calling better anyway.
Good Hunting Chad

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2024 12:51 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard there still few diehards using lights but it a southern thing where you can use a night rigg and just drive through a area calling and killing. Then you got few guys can't afford a thermal or don't hunt enough to justify one, so they still use lights, and some guys just hunt the full moon. No snow here this year for full moon calling though.

Texas getting real big on use of thermals though and having big money contests. Guess who is promoting F-P and MFK sounds? the contest guys in Texas are. Thing is the contest guys using the MFK sounds and winning their contests was winning them before MFK came along and check in numbers still staying about the same. No silver bullets there.
Also sounds like new MFK sounds are designed to be played on the new X-24 F-P caller and they are on back order right now. Good sales gimmick if you ask me and big win for F-P.
From what I also read the contest guys only stay on stand for 7 to 15 minutes and move on, hardly a chance to give a caller and new sounds a chance to prove themselves or not prove themself.

Did some more real life research and checked with some friends up in northern Minn. that use a F-P as well as a LD. and also have the MFK sounds. These guys call in roughly 100 coyotes a year, some call year-round and some jump over to N.D. and call as well. From what I gathered on MFK sounds is they just another sound to try and use nothing great about them and yes if you just keep using them you still going to kill coyotes, but your numbers are not going to just jump up like MFK and F-P make it sound like. Just more snake oil to excite the unknowing and bring sales back up for F-P.

Guys that buy the x 24 should get them in the spring and make sure they work when they arrive, so you got time to send them back in to be fixed before the season starts next year. Good luck. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2024 12:59 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
A decent thermal with 384 core can be bought for around 1900.00 t0 2,300.00 and will put you in the night game if you have the time to hunt often it pays for itself. Some guys I think spent that much on a suppressor, good news is the price for them is going down a little and much easier to get. I don't have one yet and not sure if I ever will but it's on the backburner. Now if I could just find 100,000 acres with a locked gate, I'd have it made. [Wink]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2024 01:12 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
“ Now if I could just find 100,000 acres with a locked gate, I'd have it made. “

You don’t need that Tim you got the new and improved WTF caller.😂

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2024 01:13 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep but I running out of coyotes. [Razz] [Wink]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2024 02:52 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah come on Tim there will always be coyotes to call. Just use that amazing studio quality Volume in your WTF.🤩

[ January 27, 2024, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2024 03:09 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah its nice when I can bring them in from a mile section or two, fewer stands that way but at times can get to crowded for a night stand..

Don't know if any members here remember Kiki and JD Piatt from Ohio or Ill. area? (They were at one of the camp outs) Anyway, JD got himself some pet coyotes and jumped into the recorded sound game. Some guy claims they are killing coyotes by the piles so IF SOME GUYS NEED MORE GOOD SOUNDS CHECK OUT JD.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2024 05:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny? I don't remember anybody at a canpout from Ohio? Are these sounds compatible on any format?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2024 07:24 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard it was same campout that the major attended. Would of been the first one I also attended. Southern part of state just off interstate, that airplane storage places was just down the road to the east. Randy Shaw was there.

Not sure Leonard what caller they compatible with. Most likely F-P again they need all the help they can get.

[ January 27, 2024, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2024 10:51 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The fog has finally lifted and took nephew out calling last night, little shit got good eye for spotting coyotes in cover and dam good hearing. Had a farmer with a feed lot and is pretty much the norm to have big stacks of round hay bales stacked up around farm site to block the wind and snow. Just across the road was vacant grove with a slough and willows behind it, natural coyote cover. We set up and started calling then 3 coyotes lite up and I could just barely make em out. Nephew walks over to me and says they in the farmers round bales, so we adjusted our stand, and I gave them a few howls and waited. Nothing came out so I gave them some pup and deer fight. Game on, two came out from the bales and came our way and lost them in a low spot but soon one of them appeared right in front of us and headed to my left and for the road. I voice barked to stop it but nephew didn't shoot when it stopped for second. So i voice barked again to get it to stop but also added shooooot! The coyote stops so I put cross hair on it and then bam both guns went off at same time. LOL Told nephew he got it and good shooting. Nice female but looked like she missed the breeding season or perhaps just too young. Nephew got his hero picture so now I can sleep better during the day. LOL
Nephew was having issues hitting coyotes earlier in season, found out he didn't have his shit dialed in right and was guessing most of the time as gun was shooting to left but if he made site correction the cross hair would go to far right, just couldn't fine tune it so I checked around and found that the company for scope he had come out with some new software to fix the . and it worked so he was finally in tune. Also told him I have a cure for missed shots. He says what's that? I said each time you miss a shot I'll kick you square in the nuts either you catch on or just go through life with sore nuts. Think I fixed the problem. LOL

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters