The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Back after them (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Back after them
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2023 12:33 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I got laid off early this year and it was so nice out yet and deer hunting just got over. Nephews calls up says let's go find some coyotes. I went out before dark and checked zero on thermal then decided I want to try using a 204 ruger I bought used so put the thermal on it and sited it in and recorded the site numbers so now I can just remove the thermal back and forth between two rifles I have for night calling. The 204 shoots dam nice so happy about that but have to remember to pull bolt all the way back when chambering another round or the fucker jams. [Mad]
At 8:00 nephew shows up and off we go, I brought along my Lucky duck and also my WT caller.
First stand we set up just 1/4 mile from farm where I keep my dogs and parked the pickup behind some round bales to hide it, just like O'Neil opps. LOL
We started the stand with the Lucky duck caller and had a pair on way in in 15 minutes useing cottontail and then female howls. On way in coyotes split on us with one trying to get down wind and other coming in on a string.
We needed the second coyote to come about 100 more yards then game on but other coyote was about to reach my scent cone so we had to try for the first. Nephew took the shot and hit ground low and I followed up with a shot just hitting ground underneath it, close but no cigar and then just let them trott off. there be another day.
Next stand we set up behind a grove on a vacant farm calling down to a creek with small wood lot. Pair of coyotes lit up and then was on their way in but they stayed wide of our position and worked to the downwind and being out of range. They start to get close to scent cone, so I told nephew pick one out and take the shot.
He shoots and is low again, so I figured they was out a little farther than I like so I held a little over the top of the coyote he shot at and hit dam ground just over the top of it, dam! They ran off a way but then stopped and looked back at us. Nephew says let's try to call them back and I said no, they young stupid coyotes so let's just leave them be and come back at later date rather than screw around with them.
I had two jams on the ruger after first shot and need to learn to pull bolt back all the way and hard to eject dam shell.
Both E-callers did there job but the Lucky duck still has the dam faded sound to it which I hate but it dont seem to bother coyotes a whole lot. I did find myself looking at dam remote on Lucky duck too much trying to find or switch sounds and scrolling around. The library system or format sucks and you have to remember the sounds by there goofy names in order to find what you want to try next. Say you want a lone howl or female invite, first you have to find coyote vocals on remote then you have to find or figure out what category they are listed in, sucks...
The WT has nothing to look at on the remote as its set up with button pads/raised buttons. I can feel each button and I just push the number I want, 40 for female invite, six for rabbit distress, 1 for vole mouse. It's that simple. I have a few more things to try with lucky duck see if I can make it work a little better or simpler. The caller itself is dam nice, the remote is ok but sound list format sucks as well as that dam fading in and out. Has anyone heard about Burham Bro.s? I hear they coming out with a nice E-caller and some super sounds.
Oh I forgot my Thor-4 thermal worked perfect and not one complaint and Nephews AGM rattler is working well but its not as good as the Thor-4 due to less power but that's to be expected. You know saying pay less get less. I love watching a coyote come in at night through a thermal. [Big Grin]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2023 03:20 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tim
New toy for you to get ................... 12.7 x 11HL made by modifying a 14.5 x 114mm shell.
Just saw on my homepage that a Ukrainian sniper with a Horizon's Lord rifle scored a hit at 2.36 miles using that round. No mention of pelt damage to the Russian.
Hell of a shot !!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2023 05:43 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it took guys head off clean, very little blood.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2023 11:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Where does one read these details?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2023 04:24 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Last year my WT finally gave out and most parts for that model have dried up. I bought the lucky duck as a replacement and also have a mighty atom but the atom just dont have the volume or sound I like and so I had a little extra jingle in my pocket and made a call to Pat at WT and placed my order for the mighty atom Launt. Yes with Bill gone WT is still around and keeping busy at times filling orders. They made some basic changes to their E-callers but nothing as far as looks go and no bells and whistles just a great simple caller with the best sounds in the industry. When I started to pick out sounds, I noticed they added about a dozen new coyote vocals, so I ordered all of them which is around 54 total. Once I get the WT i will send Lucky duck back and have them give it a look over and see what gives or if its just me or the way they recorded the sounds, not sure. I still like the lucky duck so it has a dam good chance of staying here for life, just might not see as much action for time being. My Nephew is a fox pro freak, but he pointed out the other day that the WT and the sounds sounded so much better over the duck so it's just not me and he owns neither of them so no taking sides there. Thats way it should be a true honest opinion. As Randy Anderson would say you need to speak their langue and thats what a WT does, always has. But hey there is always room for one more good caller. [Smile]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2023 06:41 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to take a couple of FoxPros and set them out about 20 yards apart facing each other, playing the same sound.......... just to see the coyote's reaction when it comes in between them.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2023 09:18 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
that would-be cool to see. I'd like to place two boxes of ammo out on sidewalk in front of leonards house, box to left 223 and box to right 10 feet away some sort of pistol ammo. [Big Grin]

[ November 22, 2023, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2023 10:30 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that El Bee speaks .223

[Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2023 10:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I already told you folks. I bought my Colt AR used, a long time ago. A friend gave me a 5 gallon bucket of military range brass. I sorted them and loaded some match ammo that my 220Swift didn't like and went hunting. Every coyote I shot needed at least 2 more and some, 3 more to make them stop fussing.

Now, I will admit that part of the problem was in mounting the scope on the carry handle; this is an old school A1 model without forward assist. But, I'm more than halfway convinced that the forward assist is pretty much useless anyway. Because I never had a problem with cartridges not chambering all the way, so I suspect that other people never have to use that button either?

That's it. It does not suit my style of coyote hunting or my hunting areas. I thought it would be good for multiples but I spent too much time re shooting coyote #1 and letting coyote #2 get away.

I put it away for the race riots, if they ever get to my neighborhood. I think my handloads will be fearsome on rioters. I hope they still perform, they are gathering moss, nowadays?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit PS, I milled the carry handle and mounted a picatinni base, which solves the problem I had with scopes mounted on the handle. That being, you have to choose whether you want a 50 yard zero or a 100 yard zero because your bullets are way off no matter how you set it up. The scope is way too far above the bore for aaccuracy at 50 and 100 yard ranges, can't have both.

edit: and yes, there is a message hidden in my stroll down Memory Lane. 223 doesn't kill coyotes cleanly

[ November 22, 2023, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2023 10:28 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
So you saying you'd grab the pistol ammo over the 223 ammo? What about some of your friends you could grab the 223 ammo for? [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2023 12:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm saying, first, that I am all stocked up on 223 ammo. If someone is giving it away, and I have to choose rifle/223, or any pistol....well, that would depend on the chambering? If it happens to be some obscure cartridge, like 41Remington Magnum, which hardly nobody has a use for, then I'd take more 223Rem than I need, as a bartering tool or to trade for something useful. Another thing I don't need is 380Auto. I can use 32Auto though, especially anything except 71 grain, preferably 60 grain. (I'll wait for Christmas, if I have to)

Actually, I'll take any 45ACP that someone wants to get rid of. Yes, I handload for that caliber, but it is a pain in the ass diging cases out of the weeds. This is what makes 357 so cool, they never hit the ground, dented or muddy.

any questions? You know where to find me.

Good hunting. El Bee

I remember several years ago, a guy I worked with offered me some free ammo he found in the trash, in the ally behind his house. The problem was, it was all Weatherby ammo, factory stuff for 300Weatherby and 378Weatherby, and another even less common although I don't remember for sure, may have been 270Weatherby Mag? IDK?

But the point is, and I have thought about it to some extent and what I came up with is that some bug Game hunter must have died and the little woman set out several thousand dollars worth of brand new factory ammunition in the trash because she either couldn't be bothered or had no idea of the value? I kept one round from each caliber just for my cartridge collection. Whatever happened to the rest, I never knew, but this is what will happen to all of our treasure, people! Nobody gives a shit and most likely, a good percentage of really valuable shit will be thrown in the trash. Kind of depressing, ain't it? Or, start putting labels on some of your shit so somebody sorting through your valuables will have an idea what they are looking at. And maybe get value for it or pass it to someone that can use it.

Same goes for everybody in the Peanut Gallery. If you have something nice, write out a label with my name and address and have your widow send it to me!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 24, 2023, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2023 01:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of a PET PEEVE of mine.It is when some total asshole takes a complete novice out in the country or amybe to an informal range and wants to introduce them to firearms.

They make sure to film it while they give the newbie the biggest, most powerful firearm that they own and stand around while the meek and innocent one touchs one off; and the fucking gun goes flying!

WHY? because they are new and nervous and have a very soft hold on the gun, thinking that might be the best way to deal with it, since they have zero concept of recoil?

What's needed is a FIRM GRIP ON THE RIFLE OR PISTOL. but the asshole introducing them to guns is being a complete asshole and will get a kick out of watching the gun fly out of the hands of the clueless "Victim".

I bet everybody has seen videos of this and chances are the novice shooter will never even touch a firearm from that point forward, just because some PRICK wanted to get a laugh!

I know a woman I have known since gradeschool and she married a real creep that gave her the biggest, baddest handgun he owned, and of course, she didn't know what it was, but it frightened her so much that she is a firearms hater and nothing will ever change her mind thanks to that asshole, #3 husband. I can't tell you how disgusted I am with people that do this! They deserve to be beaten for the harm they cause to the innocent. I know they want to impress someone with the fact that they are so MACHO that they can handle this recoil, etc. but I take a very different and dim view of the bastards that continue to pull this sick prank!

You all have seen it and know what I am talking about. It has to STOP!

End of Rant!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 24, 2023, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2023 02:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
#1 ...... My wife will probably sell all of my stuff for what I told her that I paid for it.

#2 ..... Excellent rant !!!!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2023 02:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! That is a good one! Telling the wife what you paid for your shit is a major lie and we all do it!

So, of course that's what they sell it for. I got my table saw from a widow for a hundred bucks, nowhere near what it was worth. Other than that, it's whatever the market will bear.

The thing is, women have no concept of what our toys cost, and/or is worth. What else do they have to go by?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 24, 2023, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2023 11:50 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Well think we got issue figured out with lucky duck, good chance its the sound card so Rick sent a new one out and should have it in few days. fingers crossed.
In mean time I ordered a new WT atom Launt and Pat was a hoot to work with. My WT 2030 was so old and you can't get parts for it any longer, so it was time to retire it. The new WT is basically same as the 2030 with a few changes. No antennas sticking out of remote or caller and remote has longer range as well. The sounds coming out of the Toa speaker are loud and clear like always. F.P don't use a Toa speaker of this size so how can they claim theirs is louder. LOL
Pat loaded me up on all the sounds I needed for my area plus she gave me a new sound most people don't have and going to give it a workout.
I been out two nights so far with 6 coyotes on first night and seven for last night and no issues with the Caller, the way it should be.
I had a coyote come out of a vacant grove other night and then spotted a second coming out of a driveway pipe and joining up with first. Can see why calling can be tuff in daytime with coyotes holed up in a pipe. On another stand I had a red fox come in and sit a bark at me, then a pair of coyotes came out of the long grass and started to chase dam fox around the field. Fox made its way to a farm site and went into the grove and then the coyotes gave up on the chase as they knew better. LOL It's a whole new world out there with a thermal any critter that puts off heat going to be spotted, like coyotes, fox, deer, turkeys, pheasants and even a field mouse. You look into a plowed field full of mice it's just like looking at the stars and can see our coyotes have plenty to eat.
There also seems to be good crop of coyotes this year and will be another week before I can release the dogs after them and they are ready. [Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2023 08:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help thinking that all state Game and Fish will be worried to death that "thermals" will seriously increase deer poaching. Anybody out riding around after dark will be followed and monitored and they had better not spit on the sidewalk!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2023 11:17 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much game and fish but just one asshole in the group don't like it. CO's here pretty good about it no issues. County deputy's another story as well they not up to speed on game laws but so far, they are doing fine job. LOL

Called in a triple tonight with the Lucky duck, still not fixed but has few sounds I can get away with for now and it did fine job.
[Smile]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2023 01:09 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Got the new SD card today and installed it. Yep that was the problem. LOL Good customer service and my Thanks to Rick.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2023 04:34 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I Got my new 22-250 ackly barrel ordered, I went with a Brunx, never used that brand before so we see how it works out. Gunsmith figured I'd have my gun back after Christmas sometime. Got a bunch of 52 gr. A-max and a other 52 gr. from Hornady but dont recall name right off hand but its just a new name for the 52 A-max. (sales and marketing) So I'm all set for next adventure.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2023 04:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Plan to go out tonight and get my new scope sighted in ( Bolt TL35 V2 infiRay) on the 22-250 Bargara and grab the 204 as well and try get little coyote shooting in. LOL

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2023 09:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, something to think about. All these LONG RANGE ASSHOLES with their Creedmore's, and all dialed in on fucking GONGS-1,000 yards is just for starters.

Anyway, I will give them one caveat. When you go with heavy, that means LONG, and that means TWIST RATE.

So, you mention 52 grain bullets. For some reason, the selection seems to go from 55 to 68 and then what? I don't know and haven't looked, but you might want to consider what's available and what twist rate before you order a barrel. The downside, and there's always a downside is barrel life with a 7 1/2" twist rate.

I'm just saying that heavier bullets aren't as fast but they hold a little better in the wind and have some authority out there in Fairyland beyond 300 yards. Think about it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2023 11:06 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
You right about heavier bullets Leonard but there is a downside to them as well. They drop like a rock compared to lighter bullets which means if you zero at 200 it can be a miss at 300-350 or what have you.
The 52 gr. Hornady's are similar to a VLD bullet just tad shorter and a little longer jacket compared to a 52 gr. Sierra, and I have plenty of them around as well as other light to med. weight bullets. The 52 gr. will shoot faster and flatter and that's what I want. My nephew bought a 6.5 creed and couldn't get any lighter bullets for it as he didn't want to shoot the 100 gr., Way too much drop for night cartridge. So then he goes and buys a 224 Valkrie like I have cept. he has 6.5 twist and I have a 7 twist.

He put his back in cabinet and now shooting his 22-250 as it cost us some coyotes.

Both my thermals come with range finder and bullet drop calculator just have not gotten around to getting that dialed in yet and if I like it then I'll put one on my 224 Valkrie and shoot some 70-85 gr. bullets. Biggest issue is judging range at night, 200 yard coyote looks like its at 300 or 400 yards. LOL

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2023 01:33 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the local forums I belong to had a little chat about night calling here in Mn. and varies conditions that some believe it affects calling or coyote behavior. You know things like full moon, no moon, barometric pressure, time of night and Temp's and whatever else one can think of. Only thing I check or worry about is temp.as you can only sit for so long when its colder out and I also look at wind speed, over 10 mph I usually just stay home. I've been out before midnight and after midnight, it seems to be all good. Humidity can be a problem if its over 80% as it affects the thermal as to how far you can I.D. a coyote. I been getting out most nights and don't really see any factors that affect coyote movement and calling one in, just have to be where they are.
Now what got interesting last night was I was calling a spot close to town and first time there had a pair come in and my nephew missed his coyote and since he shot twice it made it a little harder to get them to come after that as I been there 2-3 times after.
So last night I'm back out there set up on backside of a old abandon grove with a creek to the south that runs east to west and section is two miles long, coyotes like big sections.
When I got my New WT this year Pat gave me a sound that they don't even have on the sound list, so I decided to try it see what happens wasn't sure it works at all but was something different.
I selected the sound and turn caller on and set sound to full volume and waited for about 3 minutes. I spotted a pair coming up from creek bottom and stayed on them as they approached.
Lead coyote was close enough for a shot so I barked to stop it and then dam thing hit a low spot and I could only see its ears and then into the grove it went. I got my hand squeaker out and used it a few times and kept scanning, couldn't find it at first then I did see it finally on its way back out of the grove. Decided to try for the second so turned caller back on and this is when things got hairy. First coyote stopped out in field and howled and barked and the second stopped its approach and sat there. Then I spotted two more coyotes coming up from the same creek and they slowed down their approach but would not leave the creek but was interested in the sound I was using, and they just stayed down there on edge of cover. First coyote is yapping again so I switched to another coyote vocal and then the field lit up back to south and behind me. Believe I had six coyotes, with possible 7th circled around me! That first coyote kind of messed things up for me so I just let it get quiet and then packed up and got out of there. another night another time and make sure I bring another shooter along. AS for the new sound I like how all the coyotes come into it and how they approached or acted was pretty cool. The sound also has a pause built in, so you just let it play continues and it just keeps sucking them in.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted December 21, 2023 03:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
whats this mystery sound/

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2023 07:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets wait for more days then I'll let you in on it.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters