The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Optics forum   » USO 5x25 (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: USO 5x25
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2013 01:08 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
DiYi, The Swaro Z-3's are reported to be excellent scopes. Like you, i live out where it's difficult to see for yourself before buying.
Your info about SWFA's customer service is good to know. Thank You,

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2013 09:12 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a E-mail I recieved from a friend from another group I belong to on scopes. Ron by the way recieves scopes from varis companies and tests them along with takeing them apart to see what makes them tic..

quote:

Hey Tim,

No brightness advantage in a 30mm tube over a 1". Size of exit pupil (the window of light that exits the eyepiece) is determined by diameter of objective lens divided by power, so a 50mm objective in 10X would yield a 5mm exit pupil whether main tube is 1 inch or 30mm. Many 30mm scopes appear a bit brighter sharper than many 1-inch simply because they are build of the highest materials to the highest quality. Build a 1-inch to the same standards and same useable brightness results.

Neither 10X nor 12X is good for running coyotes unless they're waaaaay out there because you don't get enough field of view to adequately lead a running coyote. Better at 6X to 8X out to 150, maybe 200 yards. Past 200 you can start to perform with high powers, but not really needed.

For night hunting, the human pupil dilates to a max of 7mm, so you could benefit from a scope that produced a 7mm EP. That would be a 10X with 70mm objective (don't make it.) or a 7X by 50mm. So, get a 2.5-10X or 3.5-12X or so with a 50mm objective. Dial the power down to 7X or lower and you get all the brightness your eye can absorb. But the real brightness comes from the anti-reflection coatings. These coatings can improve light transmission through the scope as much as 70 percent. Huge deal. Get fully multi-coated scope. Every lens has multiple layers of these essential coatings. Best brightness bang for your buck and doesn't weigh anything. Which brand has the best and most multi coatings is the big question. No one's telling. So you have to compare one against the other about 40 min. after sunset. Look at something in the dark shadows toward the setting sun. You'll see any differences one scope to another. And in many cases it's not much. Under brighter conditions they all look good.

Hope this helps. Can provide more detail if you want. Brand name isn't too important. Just don't buy the cheap line. Stay from the middle of the back and higher. $500 gets you about as good as $1,000 and up. Differences at those levels get pretty subtle. But, considering all the big bucks you make, you might just as well get a Swarovski or Zeiss for $2000 and not worry about it!

Ron
Ace Luciano says hey.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5091 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Duckdog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 07:23 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that pretty much what Fred said on the previous page?
Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 07:27 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! Must of read Ron's article... [Wink]

--------------------

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 08:17 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
We have gridlock here

--------------------
mike

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 09:29 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
If Fred would of read my post correctly I was compareing "my scopes" to one another, not to his or anyone elses just what I had on hand.
In my test the scope with the 30mm tubes gave the best results, more field of view and more light compared to the others. The tube dia. most likely has nothing to do with it but it was the better of the scopes tested and half the price. [Big Grin]

quote:
Many 30mm scopes appear a bit brighter sharper than many 1-inch simply because they are build of the highest materials to the highest quality

[ April 08, 2013, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 10:23 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim , the "gridlock" happens when two or more experts debate on what a scope does for it's owner. If it doesn't work for me, I shouldn't automatically assume it won't work for you. I always say "if it works for you"

--------------------
mike

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2013 11:15 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.. Does'nt really matter anyway as most people are going to buy what they can afford or whats good to them reguardless...
Myself I don't care for the high dollar stuff if I'm just going to use it for hunting. The money saved could buy another factory rifle or help pay for a custom rifle. Medium priced scope seem to work well and last just as long without any issues.. [Wink]

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2013 06:00 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I read your post correctly, Tim. You cite a bogus, completely un-scientific and contrived 'comparison' of whatever scopes you own, then bestow upon us this blanket statement, as if it were something of merit:

quote:
For day time runners or night hunting a scope with a 30mm tubes is the route to go. Gathers more light and makes it a little easier to pick up your target...
One doesn't need a search engine to find out that you are full of shit. You provide that information every time you post!

BTW, I love riflescopes like a fat kid loves cake and damn sure don't need Google to remind me about what I've already had for dessert...

Since takeing my word for it pains you, and you had to email someone else for confirmation, do you see how your statement was full of shit, and completley devoid of any fact based logic???

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2013 03:53 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Well a bit of good news.I think.If being broke can be good news.Anyway got a look at a Nightforce and then made a deal on the new first focal plane NXS 3.5 by 15 by 50mm.It was a shop demo $400 less than a new one with full warranty,not even 'ring marks' etc.Got it from Bear Basin Outfitters and they were great to deal with.Happy in SoDak but uneasy about spending the $$. [Smile] [Confused] [Smile]
The Bear Basin website is worth checking if looking for 'specials' or 'demos'.That scope is 'new' on the market so pleasantly surprised to get it already for less than full load.
Good hunting.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2013 04:30 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
damn DiYi..... slow down man..... lots of work to !! [Wink] . toys or a beautifull new cedar deck??. [Razz]
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2013 05:02 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Screw the deck!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2013 05:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he sounds like a dedicated coyote hunter!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31500 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2013 05:32 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Screw the deck!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well yeah. they work better than nails [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2014 03:40 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Update.Well got the deck and the scope.Bearhunter retired on our deck job but I got the scope kind of working.Got it 'doped' out to 550 just in time for this morning when I had one stay way out for 18 minutes barking but not coming.Got a precise reading of 558 yds and 'bang/flopped' him with the 20-250.Long shot for this ol man,detached retinas and all.All in all very happy with the Nightforce. [Smile]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2014 08:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a hell of a shot, in my book.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2014 04:25 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice shot , I'd be lucky to see it at 558 yds.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2014 04:27 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
What cartridge do you use for a 20-250 is it the 22-250 necked down?

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2014 05:03 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Yes,22-250 necked down.Nothing new,guys like DAA been doing it for years.I went with the intent to shoot a bit heavier bullet than most.Using 57 gr Unmussigs(claimed BC of .420)at a little over 3600 fps I'm getting amazing performance.
Zeroed at 250 or 275 I'm still nearly 'hold on fur' to 400 but man oh man am I solid in the wind!(we have lots here-70mph gusts and blizzard forecasted today.)Calling here gets tougher n tougher with more hanging up 'out there' looking and barking.Gonna try get some of those.

DiYi
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2014 08:33 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
LB,
Was hoping you'd buy and try one of these and give us a report.Shouldn't hurt much with all the advertising revenue you generate here.Thanks.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/18/tangent-theta-3-15x50mm-rifle-scope-shot-show-optic-preview/

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2014 09:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, so much that I am looking for a way better tax shelter. If you know one, I'm all ears!

The only thing I get, unsolicited gifts category, is hand calls, and pe cans. From now on, I am requesting all gratuities in the form of concealable handguns. Thank you, much appreciated!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2014 10:52 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tangent Theta has acquired the now defunct, Premier Reticles company.
They've taken over Premier's Heritage and Light Tactical line of high end shit & have supposedly improved upon some slight 'issues' known to be associated with early era Heritage scopes (parallax binding, gummy MTC turrets)

With these improvements, (IMHO) Tangent Theta will rise to the top of the heap in high end tactical riflescopes...

[ January 20, 2014, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2014 10:55 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, great shot on that coyote, DiYi!!!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2014 11:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What the world needs! Another $3,000 rifle scope. Most peeps are deciding between a Weaver or a Simmons when they go on sale for under $300.

Good huntin' El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2014 03:07 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Life's too short to look thru shitty glass...

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters