The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Optics forum   » USO 5x25 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: USO 5x25
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2013 12:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The reticle. Had posts on both sides of the crosshairs for putting it right on their nose, for any normal runaway. I seen him pull off some Vic Carlson type shots with that scope. I think he said they were three thousand dollars?

Good hunting. El Bee

Just think, Vic does it with Simmons White Tail scopes!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31471 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2013 12:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
PS, I think there is a turret that moves the posts in and out depending on range and speed? (Running Boar Scope)

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31471 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2013 01:02 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Like many things unfortunately,'running targets',running reticles,just plain shooting at running things is a near lost art.A damn shame.All kids should be given a 22,a brick of ammo and shipped somewhere(wyoming,N or S Dakota,western Mn,wherever)to shoot running Jacks for a week in the Spring.When I grew up it was an art and good shooting kids could make spending $$ Sundays at the range fleecing old geezers out of cash on the running deer target.(every range had them-some just the month before deer season)
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/03/running-target.html

Now it's 'unethical' on some idiot boards to shoot 'runners'-statements usually coming from turret turtles that shoot at anything 1000 yds away in wind and feel perfectly 'ethical'.
A 'google'on running boars would turn up special reticles I'm sure.Think Premier Reticles used to make them.
http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-rifle-scopes/50590-b-nickel-marburg-l-7-12x-e-d.html

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2013 01:37 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked into it Leonard and your right the Europe made scope has two adjustable posts, but is low powered and has a set paralex of 50 mm.
Could buy one in the states for 400.00 or 1000.00 in Europe.
Diyi is also correct about Premier reticle makeing one simular..

Leupold also has a hog reticle out but again its in a low powered scope and there reticle is non-adjustable...

A friend from the "Winter riflemen group" had some scopes made up by some scope maker to do simular.. I believe his had hash marks or dots simular to the mil-dots but are spaced according to a coyotes speed. I thought they where a bit cluttered so I never tried one when offered to..

Been useing a Leupold 30mm tube with the var. reticle which has windage dots and can also be used for lead on the longer shots but in most situations I just use the center cross-hair.
Same canbe said for the Nikon coyote reticle, just use the edge of the circle for a lead point..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5075 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2013 01:48 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Good info here, i am a proponent of low powered variable power scopes mounted as low as possible on a hunting rifle. Tom recently bought a 1x6 Leupold VX6 scope and says it is a very good scope (appx 800+ $$$$). Maybe he will chime in with a report.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 12:17 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
That 1-6X is the first Leupy in a while that holds some interest. I'd look forward to hear more of what Tom thinks about his!

DIYI, don't know if ya know, but Premier has been making their own line of scopes for a few years now. Pretty high end shit...

quote:
For day time runners or night hunting a scope with a 30mm tubes is the route to go. Gathers more light and makes it a little easier to pick up your target...
Tim, could you elaborate on that, please?
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 01:33 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a lot to say about the 1-6 yet but here's what I've found so far.

Mine has the firedot which at first I thought was a joke but it is daylight bright and has a feature that turns it off if the scope remains motionless for 5 minutes, pick it up and it comes right back on. This has made me rethink my Aimpoint Micro cause its far more versatile.

The glass is better than my MK4 scopes and the field of view is 3 times that of their 1.5-5. Turrets were repeatable there's 20 MOA per turn. I think there's 16 on the vx-3 line. They are CDS compatable and you get a free custom dial but I ordered mine and it came in within the week. However it did not have a zero stop as advertised. I called em and they had some issues they were working on for a new design and to call back in 6 weeks, they'd send me the new one free of charge as well.

There was some talk about true 1x but this one is 1.1 and as far as I know, there is no true 1x variable out there. Shooting irons through it is a no go as I expected but another guy wanted to know so it was tried. He wanted to use his irons for the hoser targets in 3 gun but it has parrallex like all scopes.

It's a bit bigger than what I expected but it is a nice scope. I will run it when I get time but initial impressions caused me to think about another one to replace the Aimpoint.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 03:40 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear you like the glass Tom.Darn near pulled the trigger on this one yesterday.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-12x42-VX-6-30mm-Riflescope-P49442.aspx

If it came in their varmint reticle I would have for sure-assuming SWAFA liked my proposed 'trade'. [Smile]

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 03:42 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For day time runners or night hunting a scope with a 30mm tubes is the route to go. Gathers more light and makes it a little easier to pick up your target...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim, could you elaborate on that, please?

I don't have every brand,size scope thats out there so I'm going by what I do have on hand at the time. I tested about 6 different brands that have a Variable power settings and one fixed 10X scope with obj. dia. from 40mm,42mm and 50mm. and 3 scopes with 30mm tubes with the rest at 1" dia..
Its not some scientific test but just a test for my own use..
I placed a orange/white target on a wall about 25' away and then lined all the scopes I used for the test on a table with all power settings set at 10X to match my fixed 10X scope so everything was equal as far as the power setting.
As for being able to pick up the target sooner 2 0f the 30mm tubes worked better over the 1" as two of the 30mm tubed scopes have a larger dia. eye piece, about like haveing a T.V. with a little bigger picture tube. Also by looking at the target you gained about 2 squares ( 1" squares)up and down and left to right with the 30mm tubes.
A scope set at a lower setting will give you more field of view at a 100 yds vrs. a higher setting but will take you longer to pick up a target due to the smaller eye piece lens.. You follow so far??

For light gathering capability I used the same set up but just turned off the lights and used what little light was left from an entrance going up-stairs and a window covered with a blanket behind me. Once again the 30mm tubes did a better job and the only neg. I could find was in the reticle on one of the scopes, it was to thin.
So to sum it all up if I wanted a scope for night use or day time runners I would go with one with a 30mm tube, the largest eye piece lens with a objective lens 42mm or larger, med to heavey cross hairs and good or great glass.
I tested a fixed 4X scope with a 30mm obj. and did'nt gain anything as far as light gathering or picking up on a target sooner..
Like I said I don't have every brand or size scope out there so another persons Mileage may vary...

I want to set up a few rifles for night hunting next season so I may go out some night and do a little in the field tests to see what works best for me useing just the moon light or a red lense spot light.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 03:48 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Diyi take a look at the SS scopes the fixed power scopes are pretty affordable and work very well. They also have some var. power ones out now but could be a little more money...

--------------------

DiYi
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 04:07 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,some darn nice 10 power fixed for easy money.And the debate between first and second focal plane becomes irrelevant with 'fixed'.Came close on them as well.They get good reviews on the 'Hide' and elsewhere but,especially this year,we get lots of foggy,hazy days and I do turn down to very low powers then.So...as I said,life is too complicated nowadays,or at least i seem to make it that way.
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 04:57 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the 10X SS since they first came out and used it as my primary hunting scope ever since. I have a Kenton dial on it and use it quite often dialing up and down and still have'nt had any issues with mine, very reliable and I paid less than 400.00 for it.. It makes a fine calling or hunting scope in open country..
I also like the 10X and have most of my var. set to 10X as well.. For up close jump shooting I've found it can be a little too much at times and usually have to let the coyote run out aways before I take a shot.

--------------------

the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 05:24 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
well shit. once again, i don't believe Tims "tests". anybody that has shot rifles alot should have ZERO problems throwing up a 1" tubed scope and have it on the animal. runners or not!!
and i've shot 1000's of critters with a strait x hair.
to much shit on scopes nowdays to be "Tacticool".

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 05:57 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i've shot 1000's of critters with a strait x hair.
Been hunting with TT... [Razz]

Sure a straight X cross hair has accounted for many kills by many hunters but there are better ways to get it done and with far fewer animals shot in the azz....

[ April 03, 2013, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

KaBloomR
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 06:09 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried a 1x on my muzzleloader for one range session because that is all we are allowed to use for hunting. Made my 100 yard target look like it was 200 yards away....
Went back to open sights.

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 07:07 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm too simple minded I guess, I'd rather dial it up and kill it with a standard duplex. All those other crosshairs and dots get too confusing.

That's also something about the Firedot, it's just a dot in the center. Push a button and its on if you want it.

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 07:54 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
DiYi, are you looking to upgrade or just adding to the collection? I have waited a long time for Leupold to "finish what they started". The older VX7 had some very good glass, but friends have told me they had some focus issues at different powers & return to zero isues with the dials. I (as i have said many times) am looking too add a scope or two to my collection IF the issues the VX7 line have been solved. Keep us informed, thanks.

--------------------
mike

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 09:19 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm too simple minded I guess, I'd rather dial it up and kill it with a standard duplex. All those other crosshairs and dots get too confusing.
I agree Tom and use the dial up when ever I can but only have the kenton dials on two of my scopes.. On the same note I'm not affraid to try anything new that may up my game..
One thing about dialing in the distance for a shot is you have to have a live target thats willing to stand around long enough for you to get dialed in to begin with..
I've had a Luepold with a Var. reticle for some time just did'nt have the right cal. to use it on till this season when I picked up the 22-250 savage.. After useing this scope for part of the season I find it to be the cats azz and is'nt all cluttered up or not as bad as others.. No dialing required just point and shoot useing one of the hash marks/dots..
Two members of the group I hunt with that do alot of jump shooting have been useing the Leupold Boone and Crockett reticle on there 243's and if you would talk to them they would tell you its upped there game as well. In most cases they have jumped a coyote thats up and moveing and they just make a rough guess of the distance and go with that mark on the scope and also use the windage marks for lead and then take a shot and make a adjustment if the first shot is a miss, no big deal.. After useing them for a short time its not that big of a deal and everything just falls into place...
I won a Nikon coyote special a few years back and ended up selling it as at the time it was limited for its use, but Nikon has since come out with a ballistic program so you can calibrate it for other cal.s. I liked the scope along with the reticle so I bought another one this winter and put it on a 221 F.B. and shot half inch groups with it. This scope has a little less clutter than the Luepold var. reticle and you can use the edge of the circles on the reticle for lead or windage..

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 10:00 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all about trying new things that might make my job easier. I've had a few mil dot scopes and didn't like em, have a Leupold with the long range dots and find them too generic but I barely notice them. I've also had a few B&C reticles, never could figure out which line to use in a hurry and sometimes forgot when I had the time.

So now I'm kinda liking the custom CDS dials. I can hit a few landmarks with the range finder before the stand and dial it up if I need to. But when things get sporty, I just fall back to what I know, the standard duplex.

I do admire those who can use something like the Horris graphics chart on the run but it ain't me.

[ April 03, 2013, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 10:32 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do admire those who can use something like the Horris graphics chart on the run but it ain't me.

Thats a hell of a system they got I thought real serious about getting one when I first heard about them.. Only thing was I don't use a big enough gun in order to see the ground hits. I see the price has really gone up on them as well.. Scopes were around 500-800.00 at one time..

I found when just out calling or sitting in a sniper position waiting for a coyote to come running by I could get by with useing the same equipement for both but now I'm back out in the field with copper and found I need to make some changes in what I use which is'nt a bad thing as long as the wife does'nt find out. [Smile]

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2013 06:56 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, thanks for the breakdown. That Leupy sounds like an ideal machine gun optic!

Tim, so you are attributing the results of your "tests" to be a direct result of tube diameter?
Had it ever dawned on you that the results you noticed were more a factor of lens size and the relationship between objective and ocular, and had nothing at all to do with the scope's tube size?

Also, did you bother to determine the exit pupil value of each scope at a given power before 'testing' them against each other in low light conditions?

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2013 09:53 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Prune Picker,
Add.I have a new build about ready and the scope is for that.will post my decision-if I ever make one.

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2013 11:55 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Had it ever dawned on you that the results you noticed were more a factor of lens size and the relationship between objective and ocular, and had nothing at all to do with the scope's tube size?

Yep. The 30 mm tubes I have come with bigger ocular lenses than the 1" tubes.and out of the scopes I had on hand the ones with the 30mm tube did a better job. I think I mentioned that in the above post.
I tested one scope with a 50mm objective lense and it did'nt gather anymore lite than a scope with a 40 mm lense, whats actually important is the size of the ocular lense, bigger is better... [Smile]

--------------------

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2013 12:01 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The Leupold line that proved to have the issues that i mentioned were introduced in the late 90's. Two of them (that i saw problems with) were 1.5x6x42mm & 2.(?)x10x(?). I really liked the 1.5x6 until i got it home and found it would blur at 3x. I could adjust the ocular ring and the blur would lessen but then it would be less than clear at 1.5x. The 2x10 was worse(i never left the store w/one). I am not trying to bad mouth Leupold, but a lemon is a lemon regardless who grew it. I own and use several of the VariXIII's and hold them in high regard.
T.A., i agree with Fred's advice when comparing scopes. There are several factors that can and will sway the results. But, if your way works for you then thats ok with me.

--------------------
mike

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2013 12:55 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
T.A., i agree with Fred's advice when comparing scopes. There are several factors that can and will sway the results. But, if your way works for you then thats ok with me.

Yep I agree. Just by looking in my scope catolog its pretty tuff to find the same scope set up from brand to brand as they all do something to them differently. power settings, lens sizes and so on.. My test was'nt to find out who's scope was better for certain applacations but what scopes I had that worked better over another and why..It also gave me a idea of what I should look for on my next scope purchase.
If tube dia. was'nt importanted then we would still be useing those 1/2- 3/4" tubes that we used years ago on our 22 rifles.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters