The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » I didn't know (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: I didn't know
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2011 03:58 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
you could shoot 9mm cartridges out of a 40 S&W.

My friend is getting into combat shooting and a bunch of the other disciplines. He sees a guy shooting these and starts to try to educate the professional but the idiot would have none of it.

I grabbed an empty just to post a photo.

a nine on the left and a 40 OTR

-

[ June 14, 2011, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2011 05:24 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
and a new cartridege is born, ..the 40-9mm dummy round. Everyone can say they saw the first fire formed brass right here.. [Eek!]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2011 08:35 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So, at some point, did the 'Dumb Light' come on, or did the guy go home thinking happy thoughts??

How was accuracy??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2011 08:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt the police worry about paper target accuracy? They qualify by how many seconds it takes to empty a 19 round magazine. From floor to ceiling.

No, really. Quit picking on cops! We have members that are in law enforcement. For every snotty post about cops, we should employ the fairness doctrine and write something negative about automotive electricians.

gh....lb

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2011 05:30 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with that!
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2011 06:02 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job on the 'fire-forming'!
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2011 12:08 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Leonard; I'd bet a fifty dollar bill, very few here could make the qualification score needed to pass the cochise county LE pistol qualification on the first try.
I coached Dorothee many a day and night for night qualifications, then went to sit in the back of the class and watch, always a few washed out.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2011 12:37 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
How do I get that $50.00?
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2011 12:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you are probably right?

But, judging by the initial post, some of them don't know as much as they should? The cops I have had contact with are not very knowledgeable. Might be the hottest shot in the SB Sheriff's dept is a Bailiff?

However, you also could be selling the membership short? Bring 'em on! Bring the cash, too!

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2011 05:36 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to qualify twice every year with what ever I carry. The course is not hard but I have seen many failures.
I shoot my 45 and since I can, I shoot again with my #36 38 special, with a 1 1/2 inch barrel. Its no problme to shoot 100% with both.
I think lack of preperation is the main problem. Seems like some folks get nervous and shoot baddly, I try to tell young guys "we are shooting targets, relax" qualifying is really a "legal, liability" thing, has nothing to do with shooting skill.
my 2
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2011 06:28 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I was not insinuating the qualification was all that difficult; I shot it while working with the wife on her practice. I used my S&W M19, but the course is really set up for the dept issue pistol, the 1911, and they can stuff 9 rounds in the stack, a revolver only six. I doubt a J frame gun like the M36 could pass muster, just to many reloads to keep up? Im sure different Depts have different qualifications where maybe a small frame revolver can pass?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2011 06:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was not insinuating the qualification was all that difficult/Vic Carlson
You weren't? Okay, I may have misunderstood?

So,
#1) it is not difficult and
#2) very few of us could pass

Is that what you meant to say?

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2011 06:53 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly Leonard!, thats precisely what I meant.
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2011 08:35 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Leonard you blew his cover. Ratted him out, blew the whistle on him. Sad, sad, sad. Now Vic can't hide behind his fictitious nondescript screen name. [Smile]

" I was not insinuating the qualification was all that difficult/Vic Carlson"

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2011 08:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you're right. I guess I did reveal his identity? Oops!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2011 10:10 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Vic, shouldn't he change his location to Mc****, at least until Tim gets things back to normal?

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2011 07:41 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
This pistol stuff is tough. I've been practicing. A friend and I are competeing in the Wyoming tactical championship in July. 150 rounds of long range (500 to 1000) 250 rounds of mid range (out to 500) and 200 to 300 rounds of pistol out to 50 yards. We are by far weakest in the pistol. We went to Cody a few days ago to shoot with the "Best of the West" guys. We now have some Huskemaw optics to shoot on our rifles. We are shooting borrowed XD 9mms. I keep looking at a M and P at the gun shop and really like the feel of it better, but can't make myself shell out the money for a gun I may never use again. This tactical shoot is totally an experiment for us.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2011 07:54 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
thats alot of shooting Cal. Good luck to you guys and give your thoughts on the scopes.

Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2011 08:31 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, I have an M&P9 which I like alot. I've used it as backup to the shotgun before so maybe a tax write off? [Wink]

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the scopes too.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2011 11:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be completely out of the loop? I have never heard of that scope and now you tell me, after investing my life savings in another brand.

gh.lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2011 12:29 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, I have found tactical handgun shooting is all about fit, and learning a consistent and proper grip. Once you have a gun that points where you are aiming just by gripping and raising it to your shooting position, than you can let your instincts and hand eye coordination take over. Change the grip out on that XD if it doesn't point well for you.

Is there a power factor for the handgun portion of the comp?

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2011 06:15 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
tl, I don't know the power minimum deal for sure, they just told me that 9mm was probably the least that would knock down the steel targets they shoot. Otherwise I would be shooting 22 LR.

LB. Huskemaw is contracted to be made by the same people that make NightForce. They just have their own reticle design and turret system. Which seems to work well. We were shooting out over 1000 yards with 15 to 25 mile an hour crosswinds and hitting what we were shooting at. I shot a 22-250 with an 80 grain Berger at over 900 yards in the same winds with the same results. I don't know much about the US Optics like you have, and all I have heard is good, but size wise and for my purpose I like the Huskemaw. I couldn't afford the US Op stuff anyway! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2011 07:12 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, haven't you watched "The Best of the West"? Back when Bob Beeman had that, they put out a video where they were whacking coyotes at ridiculous distances consistently. The video was called "Crazy like a coyote" and they did a lot of hunting down in Mexico as I recall. An animal no bigger than a coyote getting whacked consistently from 600 to 750 yds is pretty impressive if its true.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2011 07:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The U.S. Optics rings, 20° picatinni mount and a level cost me $430. I could buy us a couple very nice steaks and a whole bottle of vintage Merlot at Fleming's for that kind of money.

New worlds to conquer, eh?

gh....lb

edit: no, Al. Never watched that show. But, I have no interest in popping coyotes at that distance. I will shoot 400, with the right equipment and rarely 500, but that's it, for this kid. Several good reasons.

[ June 16, 2011, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2011 08:33 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, that's a lot farther than I have ever shot any coyotes too. I was just adding some background for the scope Cal is using now for the long range stuff. Most places I hunt, 650 to 700 yds is on the other side of the hill (lol)

It will be interesting to see how Cal progresses with that scope.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters