The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » I didn't know (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: I didn't know
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2011 09:37 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, growin' up as poor folk in Orygun, we thought SPAM, was a delicacy..

(Edit) You guys need to stay on topic...

[ June 23, 2011, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2011 09:53 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yuk, you mean you eat that crap raw too?
If you are refering to me then no! I like it fried like Leonard but with lots and lots and lots of mustard.. But there is alot of stuff I do eat raw, pickeled herring, sardines, oysters, tiger meat, to name a few..

[ June 23, 2011, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2011 10:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I wonder if you have tried SPAM, at all, ever? AR had not, and being a courteous young man, he ate a sandwich I prepared for him, with mustard, of course. He didn't choke on it, in fact, he said it wasn't half bad. My wife was the same way, had some kind of stigma associated with it. We never ate it around the house, but she always got in a snide comment if she saw me bring some home in preparation for a trip.

I think it's an old wive's tale, they hate it because somebody they know had spoken disparagingly about it. For the life of me, I don't know what the fuss is all about? It's not bad with eggs either, as a change from bacon. Something about being out in the woods! I look forward to a camping trip just so I can have some SPAM. YUM!

gh....lb

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2011 11:32 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Spam, like Dinty Moore beef stew, is good when you are away from the comforts of home and your appetite is correspondingly "heightened".
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2011 11:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly! Same theory, lots of fat in the diet to ward off the cold.

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2011 11:49 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it's an old wive's tale, they hate it because somebody they know had spoken disparagingly about it.
No...no, they hate it because canned caca tastes bad.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted June 24, 2011 12:14 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to admit this but I like fried Spam, too!

It has to be sliced thin and honey mustard on toast for me... not that I'm picky if I'm out in the woods and hungry!

My Uncle Bill used to make a camper's casserole using hamburger, chopped potatoes, onions, celery, and carrots and then cover it in sliced Spam... wrapped in tinfoil and cooked directly in the hot coals of the campfire.

We never went hungry out camping!

Yum!

Nikonut [Wink]

IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 05:04 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Cal, I take back the liar comment about your friends. That was ME stretching, and unduly harsh...

b.t.w.
I believe to be SPAM is the finest of the potted beef products.
It is made by Hormel in two US factories, one of which is located in Austin, MINNESTOA, aka "SPAM TOWN USA". Can't make that 'chit up!!!

I'm thinking Tim may want to consider incorporating a trip to the SPAM factory as part of his guided hunts???
A mid-day respite from road gunning could be spent savoring a couple cans o' SPAM classic straight from the oven!
Or, at the very least, he could jam a couple cans o' SPAM against the headers on the chase truck, so it'll be nice & warmed up after a good run?

Could be a Hormel sponsorship in the making, too!

Just some thoughts, anyway...

[ June 24, 2011, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 05:19 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Leonard, I've ate spam before along with potted meat. We used to go camping alot and it never failed both were on the menu, everyday.

When I got old enough to buy my own grub, I did and spam ain't on the list. Best I remember it tastes like salty grease, neither of which is good for you.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 06:53 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
TA! Tiger meat raw!? You crazy and all that. I'm a KILLA! And I can't find tiger meat anywhere. I'm thinking of raising them to wrestle with.

Edit: oh yea! Tiger meat! Thx Google:

Tiger meat is a raw beef dish. Recipes tend to vary, but they do have common ingredients that include: raw beef, raw egg, onion, salt, pepper, and other seasonings. Similar to how sashimi must be fresh to be eaten (typically with sushi), the raw beef must be fresh in order to avoid exposure to bacteria such as E. coli. Preparation involves simply mixing the ingredients together in a bowl, then serving on crackers. It is closely related to steak tartare, and is common in Midwestern US states with significant German populations, such as North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

[ June 24, 2011, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: smithers ]

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 07:12 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Spam actually contains the three major food groups fat,Salt and sugar! Yum!

[ June 24, 2011, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 07:39 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the stigma of SPAM comes from its use in WWII when, for some, it was the only thing they got. Hell, I was watching an old WWII movie about the Battle of the Bulge and they even took a cheap shot at poor ol' SPAM. All it is is ground up pork, and I eat pork daily if for no other reason than to tell Muslims to kiss my ass. SPAM and hot dogs. One's square, the other ain't. Not much difference between them other than that.

P.S. Potted meat is comfort food, man. My mom used to make us samwiches after school from that stuff. The taste of it, for me, is like a sweet snootful of Prince Albert pipe tobacco smoke - the stuff my grandpa used to smoke. Good times.

[ June 24, 2011, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 08:22 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I never tried smoking potted meat, maybe that was my problem.

Paul, thats another reason why I won't touch it!

That stuff will kill you.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 08:59 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Quote, from Fred.
I'm thinking Tim may want to consider incorporating a trip to the SPAM factory as part of his guided hunts???
A mid-day respite from road gunning could be spent savoring a couple cans o' SPAM classic straight from the oven!
Or, at the very least, he could jam a couple cans o' SPAM against the headers on the chase truck, so it'll be nice & warmed up after a good run?
Dang thats some funny shit !! I didn't know you had it in ya.. [Wink]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 09:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I HAD NEVER HEARD OF "POTTED MEAT", (oops, cap lock off) until about ten years ago? It was described to me, I got the idea, but I still have never seen it or ate it. Must be an Okie thing?

gh....lb
As an American, I love fried SPAM!

edit: that's another thing. I have wired many a C ration can to the exhaust manifold of a deuce and a half, but never saw SPAM in a case of C rations or MRE?

[ June 24, 2011, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 10:21 AM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
Man Fred if I dropped the coin you do for scopes and guns I would have to go back to work and find a job.

Cal my brother has the Huskemaw on his 7 mag ( loves it ) with him being big into long range hunting and him topping his best with Huskemew, I feel you and that huskemaw will do just fine .
good luck

PS
I grew up shooting Leupold and for over 35 years they have done everything I need them to do and have never failed me yet

I will never shoot a LF, why? because I have no plans of going back to work at my age .

[ June 24, 2011, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: George Ackley ]

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 10:34 AM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL What the hell is wrong with you guys talking about how good spam is when you're out in the woods and there's nothing else to eat..........you do know that you can choose the rations that you drag into the woods with you....right? Or are you guys using your superior survival techniques to locate and harvest a patch of wild spam?

Lance.... I understand having good memories, I've eaten a few of those after school snacks myself.....and pipe smoke is one of my favorite smells on this earth....good memories but spam is still nasty.

Smittles.....WTF? [Smile]

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 10:45 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Span is pure pork ,snouts ,tails, lips, ect.Add salt sugar and gelatin what could be better.

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 11:44 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
JD, you want some? Come at me bro! Three times out of four... That's right, you read it here first. I don't know about cabbage, so I won't mention it. Poison ivy is not edible.

You know the totally incoherent call maker, the CRAZY ONE from PM? The one that writes sentences that have no beginning middle or end? That's who I am emulating.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 11:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul.

Why don't you add gonads and brains? It's all bullshit. I have worked in the food industry all my life, maybe ten of that in meat packing. There is not enough snouts ,tails, lips, etc. to fill al those cans, so it's not a reliable source of ingredients. And, if there is one constant in the processed meat industry, it is; don't vary the ingredients, or you will turn $50,000 worth of lunch meat into cattle feed. They cannot afford to stick all that crap into the formula, even if they had enough of it. So, the federal regulations allows ingredients for gross stuff like Head Cheese and other specialty products that I personally would not touch with a ten foot pole.

However, most companies like the one I worked for, Wilson & Co. use perfectly good cuts of pork and chuck beef in their weenies. This was before they started using turkey and chicken....another type I personally won't eat. I start worrying about exactly what mystery parts of chicken they use because that actually IS an unlimited supply.

However, even the private label stuff is all good. They are allowed 50 pounds of rework per batch, broken or packages that didn't seal properly, opened and dumped into a pan and then weighed, but that's it, and those Federal Inspectors are there all day. You just can't mess around with meat. If they have too much rework, it's cattle feed, period.

But, the trend towards "healthy" ingredients should be viewed with suspicion. I have the same feeling with chinese food, what exactly am I chewing on? But processed meat is generally very safe.

Including SPAM. Try making any sausage without a certain amount of fat. It can't be done.

I spent a lot more time in pharmaceuticals, beverage, confectionary, dairy and ice cream dungeons. I even did a drive by with cracker laminators, continuous cookie ovens, stuff like that, automated bakeries, cereals, etc. End of resume.

gh....lb

[ June 24, 2011, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 12:38 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Leonard
just adding my brand of humor, I actually like spam if burned properly on both side and cut thin,so it crispy when I eat it. Brains an gonads are probaly as good for you as any thing else in the critter we just have sensitivities to the grosser cuts. its all good! lol
have you ever watched that cablr show bizzare foods.
Now that boy eats some strange shit!

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 12:40 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
We have been bombarded with the lie that animal fat is bad for you nothing could be further from the truth!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 12:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have seen it and wouldn't go out of my way to watch again. The guy is an idiot.

Proper preparing for a SPAM sandwich requires that both sides be kinda crusty. The bread must be buttered, not margarine'd, and laced with garden variety yellow mustard. Damn they're good! It's reason enough to go camping, all by itself.

You know, I have never understood, "camping" as a stand alone activity? That must be something bunny huggers and nature boys do? I'm either hunting or fishing and camping. But just camping is weird.

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 01:20 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Save the buttered bread unless your toasting it. I like miracle whip and hot mustard on my fried spam sandwiches. I would never eat it raw.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 01:24 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I was gonna count how many different directions this thread has taken. I lost count at 62.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters