The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Wildlife Tech callers (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Wildlife Tech callers
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2013 10:02 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
TundraDude;
Since two of the secret ingredients are cheap vodka and smoked jalapeno peppers I wouldn't know why it wouldn't work in the cold. However, I suspect that what I consider cold and what you consider cold are likely two entirely different animals.
As far as cost goes, this stuff is gonna be expensive. I want to get rich as soon as possible and be involved in a scandal with groupies. [Wink]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2013 10:13 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
KoKo-Scents,
From the sounds of it, your magical Boot Batter could be used for a fourth necessity. Molotov Cocktails on packs of coyotes or wolves. If you want the scandal, just send a case to Minnesota. It's almost certain the the pushers, bumpers, blockers, trackers, and groupees in the TA Bump and Blast annual coyote slam will drink it all before the hunt begins. Getting rich on the elixir though....anything is possible. [Smile]

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2013 10:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, for a fact, he is feeding the antidote to all the coyotes in eastern Arizona but the shelf life is about the same as sour milk. Don't waste your money, he will break your heart, wooky. There's a CW song title in there, somewhere?

Good hunting. LB

edit: koko scents? I GOT IT! How about KOKO PUFFS? How original.

[ January 23, 2013, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2013 03:06 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys crack me up!!!! [Big Grin]
It's in the low 70s today. [Smile]
I'm going outside to teach my dog some new bad habits. [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2013 07:48 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Baldnobber, I have used a WT for many years now, IMO they have the best sounds I have heard and or used in the field.

The MA21 has everything you will ever need to call in Wildlife of all sorts.

If you choose to get one and need some soung suggestions let me know.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2013 10:11 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a little tid-bit I got from another site and comes from a good source on the subject of 16-bit vrs 24 bit sounds..

quote:
Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Bit-depth is just one small number in a really big equation. No one who does what we do can hear the difference between a 16 and 24-bit sound. That requires perfect ears and a $30,000+ sound system. And even then, the difference is so small that almost no one can tell the difference between a 16/44 and 24/96. All these iDevices the kids are so fond of are 128KBps MP3 files.

The only advantage to 24-bit is overhead for editing, and without a codec, they can't be edited. It's an advertising gimmick.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5078 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2013 10:34 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
16 Bit will work just fine for ya Tim, especially if you're just herding the Coyotes with the Crew anyway. [Wink] And if you cripple one with one of those 500 yard plus .17 caliber shots that MA21 is heavy enough that you could bash it in the head to kill it. lol

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1621 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2013 11:03 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Its built strong enough.. If its ok with you I'll just let them bleed out....

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 12:20 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about the playback of the WT it's just 16bit. Why do you even bring up the playback abilities? Are you jealous that a bunch of other companies are doing what WT tries to imply what their caller does?

Baldknobber.....my offer to use my WT is still there if you want. Just holler and you can decide for yourself then.

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 01:37 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope just pointing out some facts.
24 bit sound is no better than 16 bit and its just a marketing gimic by you know who..

They also advertise there product to be tested to -40, but they forgot to add that it does'nt work unless you add some heat packs to the remote or change batteries often.. People are haveing problems with there products even at +20 temp.s... Hmmmmm

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 06:30 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't believe I'm gonna wade into this but...

Timmy let's not forget who started the 24 bit marketing gimmick, WT claimed they used it and it was leaving everyone else behind.

E-callers have come a long way but I still called a ton of critters with my JS512, bad distortion and all. The caller is just a tool, knowing how to use it is worth more than the tool itself.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 07:23 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Timmy isn't very good at History either Tom, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. The sad thing is that Timmy's little excerpt he pulled references 16/44 (CD Quality). The WT's that I have seen, including the MA-21's don't even play those. They're playing 16/32 files. But then again, when did Facts ever get in the way of Timmy starting to stir up the pot? Go back to herding coyotes and digging ditches TA.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 11:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm with Tom. I have had occasion to comment before, that I go back way beyond the 512 Johnny Stewart. I used a Motorola 8 track tape deck for years, and thought it was the cats ass. You guys might not know the problems. It always helped to shake the damned cartridge every once in a while or it would wind itself tight and lock up. I was just using 5" speakers and I know the sound quality was lousy. Also, we didn't have 500 sounds, and what we did have were rerecorded so we could take them apart and cut out the silver splice that changed tracks so that it would play one sound continuously.

I won't even go to the cassette technology but my point is, we never had studio sound quality and I can assure you folks, we called and killed a lot of animals, back in the day. With primitive sound equipment. That's why I listen to this 69 bit bullshit and kinda laugh.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 01:19 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
We all know it really doesn't make much of a difference if it's a low quality vinyl or a 32 bit LED smart wazoo widget. Shoot, if everybody is using a 32 bit widget and learning up those coyotes, why wouldn't they be more interested in a low quality, scratchy 8 track? It's a marketing gimmick and WT is good at trying to sell snake oil. Like I've challenged Timmy to before. Show the claims that other companies are making about their callers and we can work on addressing those issues. He has yet to produce the claims.
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 03:35 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll toss this out for what it's worth;
Like Leonard, I have a couple of callers that are somewhat less than `Studio Quality Sound`. One of them is even homemade from a Sony WalkMan and Radio Shack components. They all work.

The question is, will better sound quality (to our ears) call in more coyotes???
The answer is, nobody knows for sure. Too many variables. A wise man once said that only the yippers know for sure and they aren't talking.

So..........to my way of thinking, the real value of the high quality / high dollar caller is the fact that it gives the caller more confidence on the stand, resulting in better stand discipline and (possibly) more success over time.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 04:00 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think that the coyotes that have responded to a poor sound may have been responding more out of curiosity than hunger??
If so, do you think this maybe why some coyotes turn tail and run when hearing a poor grade sound or they stop short of a stand and refuse to come any farther????

Everyone has there favorite sound they like to use because it has worked for them so often, could the reason be its a better recorded sound or just a good sound to spark there interest..
You talk with some guys that say there favorite sound works most times but they still come across some coyotes that take no interest in it, then some think perhaps they were'nt hungry or call shy.. Could be the sound did'nt trip there hunger trigger or create a terr. response...

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 04:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's mostly bullshit. No sound is 100% on any given day. I remember one time, (just an example) where we couldn't buy a response. This is with just about every card in the deck. Then I tried baby javalina distress. That weekend, that was the answer. Whether it was because they never heard it, or the recording was higher quality, who knows?

Just suggesting that the key to success is studio quality sound kinda bugs the shit out of me. Where do you come up with coyotes that run off from lower quality sound? Who told you that? It's the same with the guys that speculate about coyotes that are called but not seen; which can happen in heavy cover, especially if you don't have a clear view downwind.

I just think the whole argument about sound quality is stupid. These animals will sometimes come in to squeaky brakes, and I have witnessed the worst handcallers in the country call in coyotes, there is no secret to it.

And, what about hand calls, both closed and open reed? They seem to work, but if you subjected the sound to a laboratory analysis, it wouldn't have the characteristics of an actual recording....of any quality. The decibels and frequencies wouldn't be anywhere near the same.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 04:57 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim;
Opinions are like elbo's; everybody's entitled to a couple of them.
Here's one of mine;
Assuming proper stand set-up, far more coyotes have hung up due to excessive volume than have due to `poor` sound quality.

YMMV

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 05:09 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember back in the day, I found I called more critters with the speaker out at 75' with the volume just loud enough that I could hear it and I could hear pretty well back then.

Now everyone wants to broadcast the sound into the next county.

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 05:36 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
These animals will sometimes come in to squeaky brakes, and I have witnessed the worst handcallers in the country call in coyotes, there is no secret to it.

Would these coyotes be comeing in out of curiosity or is there a prey species that sounds the same as a squeeky brakes or a bad handcaller??

quote:
Just suggesting that the key to success is studio quality sound kinda bugs the shit out of me.
I agree I don't believe they have to be that good, but they do need to be clear or somewhat void of white noise or static or you'll get the same reaction from a coyote that hears your bi-pod leg bump against a bush or the click off the safety comeing off..

quote:
No sound is 100% on any given day.
I agree, but why is that?? Sound not triggering one of there instincts or they just don't hear it..

Koko don't take it personnel but I disagree..
In S.D. most all of the coyotes I have called in was with the caller at full volume or down just one bump....
At home I've had more successfull stands at full volume than I have had a low to med. volume.. If low or med. volume made a difference I would call that way but it does'nt for me anyway...
How close does a coyote have to be before too much volume is going to turn it away?? I've had them in to 100 yds. and it just did'nt matter to them..

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 05:45 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We all know it really doesn't make much of a difference if it's a low quality vinyl or a 32 bit LED smart wazoo widget. Shoot, if everybody is using a 32 bit widget and learning up those coyotes, why wouldn't they be more interested in a low quality, scratchy 8 track? It's a marketing gimmick and WT is good at trying to sell snake oil.
Yep its just snake oil.. Does'nt F-P now sell 24 bit sounds??? LOL....

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 06:00 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they do sell 24bit sounds and why not? Technology is there why not use it since we don't know if it makes a difference or not?

It's not like they said they used 24 bit sounds when they really didn't. Now who was it that did that???

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 06:24 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, my neighbor "Johnny Ooops" wants to join in on the discussion. I only hope that he doesn't talk secrets about his wt caller too. oooops!

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 06:44 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes they do sell 24bit sounds and why not? Technology is there why not use it since we don't know if it makes a difference or not?

As for how the sound plays or quality, 24 bit does'nt make a difference, its a sales gimic!

F-P was'nt smart enough to figure it out so they spent there time and money trying to disprove that someone else had it but never bothered to check to see if it actually made any difference or improvement.. "It does not" and I bet Bill was laughing his ass off the whole time while F-P was pizzing there money away.. Of course they may have gotten that back from those that wanted 24 bit sounds.. sucker born every minute... [Wink]

quote:
The only advantage to 24-bit is overhead for editing, and without a codec, they can't be edited. It's an advertising gimmick.

[ February 01, 2013, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2013 07:22 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Randy for offering to help me with sound selection.

Thanks to you Tundra for the offer as well.

TB

[ February 01, 2013, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Baldknobber ]

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters