The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » FoxPro CS-24 Review for Tim (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Author Topic: FoxPro CS-24 Review for Tim
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2012 05:47 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
one of the blockers that likes to use a shotgun
And that there folks is how they do it in MeeenaSota!

You would've gone back later and got it with the .17 right? No coyote can refuse to come into Mr. Knows All Things about Everything, even if partially wounded.

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2012 06:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That is something I considered, Chad. Many times, after dark, the ground is frozen and most any road is passable.

Gerry Blair came to a couple campouts and the guys were having their pictures taken with ol' Moose Dick.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2012 06:08 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
A big dansforth anchor and winch can do wonders in the sloppy stuff.

How many miles of nasty mud and slop are you talking about being stranded in?

Maybe you need a Mudd Ox.

http://alaskamuddox.com/pictures.php

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2012 07:24 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim tell your buddy to spend a little cash give up the bird shot and get a proper choke tube and some 3" 4 buck or heavy shot and those coyotes won't have so much energy left in them. [Big Grin]

I have shot beaver and coyotes with a shotgun, with the right shot and choke they are more than ample for the job. Nothing thicker and tougher than beaver hides and they die sure enough.

Tim because you have never used a shotgun doesn't mean they don't work well. They have a place as mentioned so well by UT caller.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2012 08:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Danforth anchor? I have one, probably not big enough for Dave's big Dodge ¾ ton. But this wasn't more than ? a quarter mile off the graded road.

Nothing thicker and tougher than beaver? Beaver is tougher than a badger? I can't imagine anything tougher than badger, but never skinned a beaver. I know that I have shot badgers before and I can't remember an exit on any of them.

Good hunting. LB

edit: the mud was gumbo. We had to search for rocks to bring close so we could bang the shovel against them. Otherwise it would stick to the shovel like glue.

[ March 05, 2012, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2012 08:36 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
If it's bottomless mud, the danforth burys really deep and is a nightmare to dislodge.

Sounds like you were in this kind of mud:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwKNe_s_dLw

Nasty stuff to get stuck in and a good way to end up with good warpaint all over everything.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2012 09:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No not that kind of mud, the consistency was more like peanut butter and there was no free standing water, it was snowmelt but it had all sunk in, who knows how deep?

I was going to make a triangle out of two inch angle iron that I could break down and assemble as needed and use a come along in leu of an expensive winch that would mount on the trailer hitch. I have not made it but it's simple and once buried a simple, cheap come along with an extra pulley can help get a guy out of a bad spot.

I once had to dig two tracks just wide enough for the tires about six inches deep and a quarter mile long through soft silt from a flash flood that crossed the road and traction of any kind was impossible. The answer was removing the silt. Luckily we had a decent shovel on board. Western New Mexico. Should have taken pictures, but that's the story of my life.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2012 10:24 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep wookie thats how we do it here. Calling, hunt&stalk,snipeing and tracking them down.. Not many can say they can do all that...

No I would of stayed after it till we got it or got dark and then finished the job in the mourning..

C.W. 3" buck shot was used on the coyote and it was a male that weighed 42 pounds.

quote:
Tim because you have never used a shotgun doesn't mean they don't work well. They have a place as mentioned so well by UT caller.

Thats where you are wrong again.. I have used a shotgun, grew up with the things and used them mainly for birds and fox.. On fox they do work really well due to the thin skin on the fox..
Just don't like the mixed results I've gotten or seen when a shotgun is used on a coyote.
Like I agreed with earlier they do have a place, just not here..
Instead of decorateing a shotgun all up to kill coyotes I would rather just stick with a rifle/scope...
The shooting distance is also more critcal with a shotgun than it is with a rifle, misjudge the distance by 5-10 yards can leave you with a mess. (wounded coyote)
Tracked a few down in my day, none shot by me but someone else.. I find a wounded coyote to be the hardest to track down and kill, they use every bit of cover they can find and use it well...
Longest coyotes I've trailed after being hit was 3-5 miles and took up to 3-4 days to finally get them..

[ March 05, 2012, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2012 11:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's way beyond reason. My general rule is ½ mile. If they get that far, I quit. But, you have a dog now. No problem.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2012 11:16 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it might be a personal problem with you and shotguns Tim. Maybe you and the Crew just need a little more practice with them there scatter guns. [Razz]

The ones I've shot seem to be quite dead when I walk up to them...

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2012 11:33 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sounds like it might be a personal problem with you and shotguns Tim. Maybe you and the Crew just need a little more practice with them there scatter guns.

I think your right, as we don't use them that often. I haul one around for a few weeks then take it out of the truck and the other guy in the crew always has his so we just stick him where its needed, like on a bridge over looking a frozen creek or on the edge of some heavey cover where we know the shots willbe close...
Yep I've seen afew dead ones as well that got hit by the shotgun and I've also seen some just shake it off and keep on going...

Here is a pic. of one of the coyotes one of the guys got when it came down the ice torwards a bridge..
 -

Oh shit where is the coyote????? [Eek!] [Eek!]
As you can see a large pool of blood where the coyote was dumped with the shotgun and then a blood trail showing the direction it ran after a quick recovery from being hit... This coyote ran about 200 yds into the thickets and took roughly a half hour and three trackers to find and finish it..

--------------------

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 04:41 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim I hit one with a shotgun a few years back. At the time NJ would allow us only to use #4 shot (not #4 buck). Same thing, blood trail in the snow. I tracked it for a half mile crawling through brush until the blood trail ran out. I was pissed, as this was the first coyote I had ever called in.

quote:
Gerry Blair came to a couple campouts and the guys were having their pictures taken with ol' Moose Dick.

LOL Leonard I forget Gerry called his ten gauge "Moosedick."
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 06:08 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim never lost a coyote or two with a rifle hey? [Big Grin]

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 07:21 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that typically coyotes die better when shot in the front half with a shotgun verses shot in the back half. So it would be my recommendation to tell the "crew" to quit shooting them in the ass. Your success rate will go way up.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 07:55 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I agree with 3 Toes, aim for the head they drop like a rock...

Good Hunting Chad

[ March 06, 2012, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 08:48 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Why doesn't the "crew" just do all of the pushing and Mr. Everything can do all the shooting with the .17? No runoffs, No spinners, and a Guaranteed "call em' back" that afternoon if any do get away.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 11:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It sure sounds like TA is the Supreme Commander of the "crew"? I wonder if he rates a BEARER?

"Boy, bring Bwana the Express .17, mox snell". "And, some hot chocolat, snell, snell!"

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 12:09 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys already know that most of those crews who love to chase coyotes with a truck, know nothing about shotguns except they go bang. Tim thinks that we have forgotten his favorite coyote shotgun which is an old Ithaca pump. He don't know how it shoots because he has never patterned it. You also probably realize that those who talk the most, know the least, and this is especially true when it comes to coyote shotguns and coyote calling. We need to buy that guy a dunce cap and make him sit in the corner or something.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 12:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Good Hunting Chad

I have told this before, but it's still amusing.

We were driving to another location on the highway, late at night when we spotted a coyote walking along the shoulder. I turned around and Bob grabbed his trusty 20 gauge and stuck it out the window but no coyote? We even went back again, no coyote? So, one last pass, the highway was deserted for at least ten miles in every direction. Well, there he was sneaking along the fenceline and Bob shot him, went out and drug him back, and threw him right in the front, on the floor.

So, I took off again, picked up speed, probably doing about 55/60MPH. I happened to look down, under the glove box, between Bob's feet and I saw two eyes glowing up at me! There were three of us in the front seat. I said something like, Hey, that coyote's alive!

So, there we were, 60MPH and Bob grabbed a 4 cell Maglight and he freaked out hammering that coyote like a maniac. I'm trying to keep the truck on the road and Bob is flaying away at the coyote but he was actually pounding the shit out of my dashboard. I don't know why he didn't realize that he was bouncing off the glove box and hitting the coyote in the butt, but this continued for what seemed like a long time and I guarantee, it was a Chinese fire drill, everybody was excited and I heard a little girl screaming, too?

Finally, I yelled at Bob to stop beating my truck, and told him to put his boot on the coyote's neck and keep it there. That's not exactly something ol' Bob would be inclined to do, but he did it, and another 5 miles down the road, it looked like the coyote died, but it was very exciting, for a while.

These are some of the things you do, on a big club hunt. It's crazy time.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 01:25 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Hollywood bummed your story and "tweeked" it Leonard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbSFxlfuf9s

Pay close attention to the road sign at the beginning too.

[ March 06, 2012, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 01:31 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tim never lost a coyote or two with a rifle hey?
I'd have to say only a few and the reason being was due to my tracking skills or someone elses at the time sucked. Most times though if one was lost it was because it got into a hole of some sort and we could'nt get it out.. We are better equiped for that now so the lost coyotes is very rare for us now..

You are right Cal, but keep in mind you are shooting at a coyote thats comeing to a call not running full speed and away past the shooter..
I watched a few films with a gunner shooting coyotes from a plane with a shotgun. It appeared they where giveing every second or third coyote a double tap with a shotgun.

quote:
Why doesn't the "crew" just do all of the pushing and Mr. Everything can do all the shooting with the .17?

Dose'nt work like that here.. We hunt as a team and everyone has there place and everyone gets some shooting in..One shooter per side of section with a back up..
If we have a coyote going west a blocker will come from either the south or north rd. and move in as a back up and to help keep the coyote moveing to the oringanal shooter on the west road or to turn the coyote back into the section for the stalkers.. The blockers main job is to keep the coyote in the section and only shoot if the coyote made up its mind to leave it...
In most cases its still a one on one with the coyote and if it decides to leave the section the oringanal blocker gets first crack at the coyote and a back up will sometimes get the long shot after the coyote has left the oringanal section (safety)and was missed by the first blocker... We get all kinds of shooting practice in at running targets from 100 yds to as far as we want to shoot...
Standing on the road with a shotgun in hand and a rifle near by is going to cost you coyotes as the coyote may change direction real quick and make the shotgun useless and by the time you get the rifle the running coyote has already increased its lead by 200-300 yds and another 50 by the time you get it in the scope...
( thus the reason I shoot alot of 300-400 yds coyotes) If we miss some coyotes I will come back and call the area at a later date, but in most cases we just go after it on foot and track it down to the next section or two and finish what we started.... [Big Grin]

quote:
It sure sounds like TA is the Supreme Commander of the "crew"? I wonder if he rates a BEARER?
Nope we just work well together, the main thing is just have the extra blocker go to high ground and spot the coyote for the others on the opisite side of the section. Something we all take turns in doing as well..
With us its not a contest about who can kill the most coyotes its more about working together and getting the coyotes safely with out anyone getting hurt, all the fur is dumped together and the money split even across the board no matter how many coyotes a few of the shooters kill..
From doing this for awhile the best way for a shooter to learn to shoot well is put alot of coyotes in front of him and if we have a new member in the group we will put him in a spot that the coyote will most likely run to when put under alot of pressure. Dureing the process other members of the group will give out helpfull tips to help the shooter improve.. Some don't but we still let them hunt with us and just make sure he has someone close by to back him up.. If a coyote gets bye on us its not the end of the world but we try to keep that to a minimum to reduce wasted time so we can move on to another coyote...
Once in awhile we get a new guy thats what we call a Hot-rodder, he drives up and down the roads going as fast as his pickup will allow and looks like a chicken running around with his head cut off.. We usually give them one warning and if he dos'nt listen then he don't hunt with us.. We have others watch us hunt from time to time like a nearby farmer or even a game warden watching us from afar and the last thing we want is to bring the heat down on us so we try to do it safely and with-in the state laws.. Makes life so much easier...

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 01:42 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We need to buy that guy a dunce cap and make him sit in the corner or something.

Or you could just give me your's, only problem is the head size and it wouldbe a little too big for me... [Razz]

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 02:41 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
That's because your a Pinhead! [Smile]
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 2 posted March 06, 2012 02:44 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
READ
B
E
L
O
W

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2012 02:47 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Randy, not arguing with the guy, just pointing out the obvious.

[ March 06, 2012, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters