The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » FoxPro CS-24 Review for Tim (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16 

Author Topic: FoxPro CS-24 Review for Tim
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 01:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Only others that come to mind would be the Hyde boys, not sure on the spelling..
It dose'nt really matter, western N.D has ALOT of coyotes...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
coyote down
Knows what it's all about
Member # 2887

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 01:38 PM      Profile for coyote down   Email coyote down         Edit/Delete Post 
No Tim it is neither of the two people you mentioned. I didn't figure you had read about them. Like I said, they don't post on the boards much and certainly don't toot their own horns. You've since added another factor besides high populations.
Posts: 32 | From: colorado | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
coyote down
Member # 2887

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 01:41 PM      Profile for coyote down   Email coyote down         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim

You got it right on the second guess. Now point me to the articles you read about them this year?

Posts: 32 | From: colorado | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 01:58 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
LoL, Leonard it was actually when He came out to Nevada to go calling with You and Dave. Man I still wish I could have made it on that trip..

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 02:41 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim you really NEED to listen to some of the new FPsounds they are great sounds, No Bias Martz has some good sounds to but they are NO better than what FP has come out with, I can make the statement becuase I have used both and had both machines, except for the OLD WT I had worked correctly about 60% of the time and that is after 2 trips back to Mr Martz and then shorts in the cable going from the black box to the speaker. Those where nothing more than an MP3 player back in the day.

Even a guy I know that uses the WT ATOM will admit that some of the FP sounds are as good or better than the WT sounds. Those are honest non biased opinions.

I have called coyotes out of thick stuff for the airplane with the cs-24, called coyotes out with the plane directly above me many times, if they pay no attention to the aircraft and still "Have" to check out those sounds I know they work damn well. Had that happen more than once or twice with the CS-24 and FP sounds. There coyote pup sounds are super good and so are many of the coyote vocals and distress sounds they have.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 04:01 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
FoxPro keeps improving their library by leaps and bounds and WT adds nothing.

The list of guys wanting to sell their new MA's to get into the CS-24 is overwhelming.

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 04:48 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
FoxPro keeps improving their library by leaps and bounds and WT adds nothing.

The list of guys wanting to sell their new MA's to get into the CS-24 is overwhelming.

WT has all the sounds you could possably need, whats to add....

Yep its a pretty big list alright... Did one little search and came up with just one and it was already sold..Hmmmmm..

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 04:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I am concerned, the argument is over. Foxpro has achieved enough parity with the CS24L that it really doesn't matter which machine you use. The sounds, I don't know, but it does seem that the gap is closed there, as well?

Good hunting. LB

[ February 27, 2012, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 05:19 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
C.W. I'm sure they do have a few good sounds and yeah Cal.s are suppose to be the greatest also from what I hear...Same couldbe said for the J.S sounds as well...

The thing with the WT is most of the sounds I have work well for me and I have'nt any reason to try any others or change caller brands..
You forget that i also have a minaska big country caller that i can program, I still use it but for coons and fox mostly...
Alot of guys blaim there poor luck of calling on the caller or its sounds so in there search for the silver bullet they jump for the next hot item up on the internet weither it be a new caller, remote with bells and whistles, or a decoy or a decoy dog and so on...
If people would just take the time to learn a little about the coyotes in there area and how they react to pressure they could call alot more of them in. And it would'nt hurt to learn a little about how to use some of the sounds properly as well they would realize they don't need all that stuff...
Yeah you proably call to 100's and 100's of coyotes every year so yes you may need some extra sounds on your call list but for the week-end caller he dose'nt.....

Yep Leonard I'm done.....

[ February 27, 2012, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 06:00 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
CW knew exactly who I was talking about. I went up and hunted a couple days with them. Great guys and coyote hunters. FYI they have used WT and FP and stuck with FP. I don' t personally care what anyone uses. And if you are happy with what you have by all means don't change. I have never said you can't call coyotes with a WT. But one thing Tim needs to get real about is the accomplishment of calling and killing that number of coyotes in a single 4 or 5 month season. Of course there are a lot of coyotes in western ND. There are also a lot of callers. I guess to someone like TA who has probably never broke a hundred called coyotes in a season, you can't possibly begin to grasp what it takes to kill over 400. It takes more than just being in a good population and spending time in the field.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 06:51 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"If people would just take the time to learn a little about the coyotes in there area and how they react to pressure they could call alot more of them in. And it would'nt hurt to learn a little about how to use some of the sounds properly as well they would realize they don't need all that stuff.."
---------------------------------------------------
All of this coming from a guy who thinks swinging the E caller over your head does no harm, and that setting said caller beside you instead of moving cross-wind a few yards is also good. What an Air Head.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 08:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Rich take your little caller out with you along with a Vid. cam and prove it does hurt my stands...

Here is a little reminder of what happens on my stands with the caller next to me...

Typical MN stand:
[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/08- 09%20coyotes/th_Deletepartially5of472009_145243.jpg[/IMG]

Typical S.D. stand;
[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208 /TA17Rem/09-10%20Fox%20and%20coyotes/th_Deletepartially3of292010_095458.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah Cal they worked hard to get that many coyotes good for them...
Like I said though they have alot of coyotes around to make those numbers possable, most members here don't....

[ February 27, 2012, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 08:55 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
I didn't bother to even click on the links in your above posts. I don't know even ONE serious caller other than those with decoy dogs to keep the coyote's attention, who would ever be so stupid as to not take advantage of the ability to get the sound out away from them, and use their remote control. Neither would they leave their ammo in the truck while calling. Sure you call some coyotes, I never said that you didn't. The sad part is that you could have called a lot more if you took advice from those who DO know how to take advantage of their remote control. It is not your fault that you were born with a brain that has no ability to understand common sense, and for that reason I will not hold it against you.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 09:26 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Rich I agree when a caller is calling heavey cover or along it but I'm not its all open country and I can see them come in..
Did'nt Scott and you call any Dakota coyotes in when you hunted with him?? If so how did they come in to the call???
I've hunted with one member that sets his caller away from him a few yards and his reason being is he like to take side shots on the coyotes rather than a head on shot..
It don't matter to me if its a head on shot or a side shot and by placeing the caller away from me there is a chance a coyote can come in then with out being seen or get behind an object not alowing me a clean shot.. I like them in the open when possable and most work there way to the center of the sound cone about 1-200 yds out before they decide to go down wind if I don't stop them.... I know for a fact on some stands if I had the caller setting out from me and up wind I would of lost a few coyotes cause I would'nt of seen them on the same side hill...

One time when I was calling with Roede he set his caller out a few yards and started calling and had a pair comeing in out in front. At the same time there was a 3rd. coyote that appeared to his right and behind him and out in front of me, if the coyote would of moved to the sound of the caller it would of perhaps bumped right into Randy, but I did'nt give it the chance.. I've had the same happen when calling alone to have a coyote come in from the same side hill I was set-up on.. In most cases the coyote would circle down and into the front of the caller and end up looking at the end of my rifle barrel...
In open country calling the caller sitting next to me dose'nt hurt my stands and its no different than a guy useing hand calls...

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 03:48 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim are you saying the Indian reservation country and the areas around Pierre/MO river drainage don't have some high coyote densities????

Stand selection and local has alot to do with caller location, change either and your hard fast rules needs to change as well to be most efficant, IMO of course.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 07:33 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"if I had the caller setting out from me and up wind I would of lost a few coyotes cause I would'nt of seen them on the same side hill"
------------------------------------------
Yes, but why set the caller up-wind of you? The caller should be placed CROSS-WIND, and pointed to call the coyotes that Are DOWN-WIND of the caller, while the hunter sits cross-wind so that coyotes come in down-wind of the caller rather than down-wind of YOU. Coyotes like to circle down-wind of the screams to get a whiff of the screamer. You are evidently calling with the wind in your face, and the caller setting right beside you. Since you don't have eyes in the back of your head, there is no way that you could see all of the coyotes that come in from behind you. I am surprised that you manage to call coyotes by setting up backwards. Scott did in fact call and kill some coyotes when I was with him. He used a howler that I made for him. This was in July, and he used decoy dogs to keep the coyote's attention on them instead of US. The decoy dogs are the reason that calling with wind in your face can and does work. If you actually somehow know where the coyotes are (you stated that you locate them first) it should be pretty easy to set up to take full advantage of your remote controlled caller.
Good luck with your calling, I wish you well.

[ February 28, 2012, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Rich ]

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 08:11 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WT has all the sounds you could possably need, whats to add....
Only a fool limits himself. [Cool]

[ February 28, 2012, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 12:08 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tim are you saying the Indian reservation country and the areas around Pierre/MO river drainage don't have some high coyote densities????
There are coyotes around but its not like it once was. The area I call in gets hit hard by coyote contest hunters (4-5 contests) and others just out to kill a few. There are pockets here and there with some good numbers if you can get to them without being detected... Some of the ranches now are getting new owners or operaters and not allowing none members on them, I lost two good ranches last season because of this...
The area is also rebounding back from being hit by mange but still seeing coyotes with it or mite damage to the back of there necks and shoulders....
I cover alot of area when I'm out there and not every ranch is loaded with coyotes, I get one or two here and one or two there and so on and just keep moveing on to the next ranch.. Some days or at certain times of the year I will run into some that are grouped up and thats when the fun begins, but you won't see or find that every were you go there...
Scott H. mentioned one time there are more coyotes East river than anywhere else and from driveing through the state I believe he is right but they are also in pockets...I've called a few of these areas and had very good luck but you need to live there or know someone if you want to put a big dent in the numbers.. Lots of smaller ranches and more doors to knock on so I don't spend much time East river calling....
I've been hunting West river since the early 80's and know the area well and most of the ranchers or know how to get ahold of them if I need to get onto there ranch so thats what keeps me comeing back every year, plus more bang for the buck for me...

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 12:11 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Only a fool limits himself.
Only a fool thinks he has to have more than a hand full of sounds. [Big Grin] [Cool]

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 12:25 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Only a fool thinks he has to have more than a hand full of sounds.
And that's why the king of fools just traded his old WT in for a 120 sound WT. [Big Grin] [Cool] [Roll Eyes] [Eek!]

[ February 28, 2012, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 12:54 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich; Yes I call with the wind in my face or cross wind and sometimes down wind. Depends on what drainage I'm calling into and where the coyotes are and how the drainage lays out...
Most of the ranches I call have one or more big ridges running through them with a few deep drainages and many shallow ones. I travel the back side of the ridge as I move through the area and call into the drainage on my upwind side or cross wind and then on the way out I call the oppisite side of the ridge or move over to the next one if one is there..
Most of my coyotes don't go down wind till they are around 100-200 yds out, and alot of them just come straight in to the center of the sound cone..
Coyotes are like humans when it comes to moveing about, they also like to take the easey path and thats how I set up so that there are a few easey routes for them to funnel in on...
I set up on the high ground and call them in on the low ground...
The only time I get a coyote to come in from downwind or behind me is if I call that direction to start with.. I only do that on very windy days and when calling on some of the flat areas with a small knob for me to set up on or a drainage that I can funnel them up into.. They don't like the wind anymore than we do so I use a drainage or cut bank to my advantage and shoot them the second they appear...

When I call on agg. land its a whole different set of rules I go by. I set up close to the bedded coyotes and close to any cover like tree lines or the edge of CRP and so on.. I still try to call into the wind or cross wind if I have to..
If I'm calling along a tree line that goes to a slough or section of crp I set the caller out to my left or right depending on what side of the tree line I'm set up on and direction of wind.. Not all but most of the coyotes will come in along the tree line on the downwind side.
Sometimes I will set the caller along the tree line and set up out in a field and lay flat next to some corn stalks or grass patches..

When I call along a corn field or 1/4 section of CRP I will set up just on the edge of the cover or in just a little ways as long as I can see out into the open field.. The caller is placed out in the open field and forward of my position..
So you see I set up according to the areas I'm calling in and how the land lays out, there is a time and place when I need the caller out and away from me and then there are places I don't have to do that...

Night time calling at home I set up in the open fields or along fence or tree lines. The caller is at my side or is placed directly to my left or right about 20 ft. and faceing into the wind and towards any cover the coyote maybe in..
AT nite without lights I don't want to be to far from the caller as it will make it that much harder to see the coyote when it comes in..
With lights I may have the caller next to me or out just aways and forward of my position. The coyotes here seem to check up at the 100 yd. mark so I don't want the caller to far forward as that will put the coyote that much farther away from me..
I have a couple of places I want to set it up behind me about 100 yds but we don't have any snow at the moument to do that so I have to wait...

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 01:05 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And that's why the king of fools just traded his old WT in for a 120 sound WT.
There you go talking about something you know nothing about. (insert foot in mouth)

I still have my old WT 2030..
I traded in the 2030 MS I got from Kelly J. which did'nt have many of the sounds on it that I use for coyotes, his had mostly bird and cat sounds along with gray fox..
I traded for the MA-21 and I did'nt get it with 120 sounds.. Like I said don't need all of them... [Big Grin]

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 01:29 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
If you knew how to read you would see that I did not say which WT you traded in idiot.

I said:
quote:
And that's why the king of fools just traded his old WT in for a 120 sound WT.
I guess you only needed 114 sounds then. So you DID trade in an old WT and you ARE the king of FOOLS.

Stop trying to get the last word in, you'll never win! How are you liking those WT sounds on your Minaska? You never mention all of the WT sounds you have on that thing.

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 01:43 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
You said Old WT the one I traded was the newer of the two I had at the time. Idiot!!!

I don't have any WT sounds on the Minaska.. Why would I when I have two WT's to begin with...
Most of the sounds on the Minaska are minaska and Ed S., D.K. and B.A. with a few J.S. sounds...

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 01:51 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Old as in not NEW. See it how you want, you traded in an OLD WT for a NEW WT. IDIOT!

Somebody mentioned that a Tim had said his Minaska had a bunch of WT stuff on it at some campout down there in the states. It's alright if you want to put the sounds on a better e-caller, totally understandable.

[ February 28, 2012, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters