The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » FoxPro CS-24 Review for Tim (Page 14)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Author Topic: FoxPro CS-24 Review for Tim
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 01:38 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
It has nothing to do with my calling ability, its just the way thing are with the coyotes here. You've never called here or any other place like it so you would'nt know.

quote:
Tim why don't you just try calling them in with that top of the line MA-21
I have and I also have a better track record than anyone here useing a F-P or hand calls that I'm aware of.. And to top it off I don't live in the good parts of the state where the numbers are much higher..
Most don't know what its like so they assume its the same where they live, well its not the same. I've been around the country calling and some guys got it pretty dam easey IMO. Actually too easey and when they come up against a difficult coyote they just move on and look for one thats a little easier to call.. I don't have that option as we don't have easey coyotes to call to..

Take away the tools for calling in your state and see how well you do then..
Then some have to bring ethics into it and IMO I don't call walking a 100yds from a truck and sitting on there ass for 15 minutes or less even close to hunting....

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 01:59 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't call walking a 100yds from a truck and sitting on there ass for 15 minutes or less even close to hunting....
If you sat for 8 hours would you call that hunting?
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 02:01 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
You ever call in Utah Tim? If you had you would know it can be a damn tough place to call Coyotes. Especially in the agricultural parts of the state. And I'm not one of those guys that hunts 100 yards from the truck either.It's not uncommon for me to walk miles to find the Coyotes.

My only point is you are always the first one that gives guys advice on calling,and points out what everyone is doing wrong and why they are not calling in more coyotes etc.etc. But when it comes down to it you have it tough too. lol

One example is this gem: "Alot of guys blaim there poor luck of calling on the caller or its sounds so in there search for the silver bullet they jump for the next hot item up on the internet weither it be a new caller, remote with bells and whistles, or a decoy or a decoy dog and so on...
If people would just take the time to learn a little about the coyotes in there area and how they react to pressure they could call alot more of them in. And it would'nt hurt to learn a little about how to use some of the sounds properly as well they would realize they don't need all that stuff"...

LOL.....

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 02:04 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, excellant post!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 02:09 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
You see Wookie you have no understanding of what takes place on one of our hunts.. No one is actually pushing a coyote or forceing it to go where it dose'nt want to.. The coyote goes through the section on its own accord.. There are not 10 -20 guys out there forceing a coyote to go in just one direction like herding cattle or rein deer. Its mostly just one or two guys walking up on a track of a bedded coyote and hopeing to get close enough for a shot as the coyote jumps up and leaves its bed. If they don't get the shot or miss then one guy will stay on the track and another will try to guess where its going to go and intercept it if possable. It don't always work that way..
We have two types of coyotes, one just takes off running and trying to put as much distance between it and the hunter and in most cases just runs a straight line to the next section. These coyotes don't last very long.
The other type of coyote is a little smarter and uses every piece of ground to its advantage, holes, pipes, and thick cover.. A coyote that makes it into the thick plum brush (willows) will stay in there for some time just staying far enough ahead of a tracker and running a tight circle through the plum brush and eventualy gets on the trackers trail and just keeps going round and round.. Some of the sections don't have that type of cover so the coyote will run through all the low spots trying to evade the tracker and will circle back and get between the two trackers if there are two in the section to start with.. A coyotes way of thinking is if it can't see you, you can't see it and thats how it runs its course most of the time useing every bit of cover...
We have played the game many times so we have a pretty good idea of whats going on with each coyote we get after, some times they win sometimes they don't...
Our hunts can last just a hour or it can go on for half a day depending on how big the section is and how its layed out or how many coyotes are in it..

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 02:20 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You ever call in Utah Tim? If you had you would know it can be a damn tough place to call Coyotes. Especially in the agricultural parts of the state. And I'm not one of those guys that hunts 100 yards from the truck either.It's not uncommon for me to walk miles to find the Coyotes.

My only point is you are always the first one that gives guys advice on calling,

Nope the closest I got was western wyoming around the Green river area (flameing gourge resivor), Rock springs and the Red desert..
Yep its just that "advice" take it or leave it..

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 02:22 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You see Wookie you have no understanding of what takes place on one of our hunts.
You mean drive. I honestly do not care how you kill the things, it's just not my definition of hunting.

quote:
Its mostly just one or two guys walking up on a track of a bedded coyote and hopeing to get close enough for a shot as the coyote jumps up and leaves its bed. If they don't get the shot or miss then one guy will stay on the track and another will try to guess where its going to go and intercept it if possable. It don't always work that way..
That bedded coyote was pushed out of its bed by the guys walking. It did not leave simply because it wanted to get up and leave. You're missing the point.

You didn't answer the question.
quote:
quote:
I don't call walking a 100yds from a truck and sitting on there ass for 15 minutes or less even close to hunting....
If you sat for 8 hours would you call that hunting?

Very good post Chad and I'm sure we'll get an excellent excuse...errr...I mean reason shortly from TA.
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 02:31 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Alot of guys blaim there poor luck of calling on the caller or its sounds so in there search for the silver bullet they jump for the next hot item up on the internet weither it be a new caller, remote with bells and whistles, or a decoy or a decoy dog and so on...
If people would just take the time to learn a little about the coyotes in there area and how they react to pressure they could call alot more of them in. And it would'nt hurt to learn a little about how to use some of the sounds properly as well they would realize they don't need all that stuff"...

So are you disagreeing with my quote and that a caller dose need all the bells and whistles and gagets to be successfull and needs to know very little of how the coyotes move around in there areas?????????

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 02:39 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Man again you are missing the point. You get on here and sound like you are "the know all and be all to calling coyotes".

Most of us on here have been calling and killing coyotes for a hell of along time(for me almost 30 years).And you act like we're all a bunch of green uneducated callers. And that if we would just listen to your advice we would to somehow be able to kill alot more coyotes.And it's total Bullshit Tim.

Stating your opinion is one thing but some of the shit you come up with is unbelievable..

Good Hunting Chad

[ March 07, 2012, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 03:10 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
So what part of my quote is B.S???

I know lots of guys that been calling for over 20 years, dose'nt mean they are any good at it..LOL

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 03:44 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Nevermind Tim... Just keep doing what you're doing...lol

Good Hunting Chad

Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 03:49 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, it ought to be abundantly clear by now that you are never going to get Spooky Old Tim to understand anything about coyote hunting. You could have killed more coyotes than anyone in the United States, and he'll still have some of his great tips for you. It does provide some good entertainment.

[ March 07, 2012, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Possumal ]

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 03:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
edit:
quote:
I know lots of guys that been calling for over 20 years, dose'nt mean they are any good at it..LOL Tim Anderson
Hey, hey! Try 48 years and I think I'm pretty good at it. Still.

Tim, just keep everything in terms of generalizations. Recognize that we have guys here that can outshoot and out hunt your Minneesota ass, in their sleep.

Say what you have to say, but don't talk down to this crowd. That don't work too good.

Wookie, I'm not moderating, but I think Bearhunter has a point. What you think of how Tim coonducts his stupid drives is irrelevant. Some people think I'm not sporting to shoot from the truck, at night. Makes no difference to me and I suspect Tim won't lose any sleep over your opinion, either.

But, if it makes you happy, as I said, I'm not trying to moderate, just stating an opinion. And, I do not think anybody could accuse me of taking the lunkhead's side. I am not doing that.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ March 07, 2012, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 04:04 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
READ
B
E
L
O
W

Leonard,
The guy can kill dogs however he wants, he knows everything and knows no bounds. It's just not "hunting" to me, that's all. I don't see the similarity between going out and calling an animal vs. pushing them with the "crew". Even if that animal uses established roads or trails created by man. This thread has a bit of everything in it though. Fun Times.

[ March 07, 2012, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

coyote down
Member # 2887

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 04:41 PM      Profile for coyote down   Email coyote down         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim

According to your above explainations on what coyotes in your area do, why wouldn't you want to chase them all into the brush. According to you all you have to do is chase them in a circle and they will follow you. If this is the case all you would have to do is choose someplace to sit hidden and they would walk right up to you.
The more you type the stupider your comments become sometimes. Coyotes that are being chased are not going to follow the tracks of the thing that is chasing them. Hell, coyotes that smell your tracks when coming to the call will sometimes leave and they are not being chased.

Posts: 32 | From: colorado | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 05:12 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Coyotes that are being chased are not going to follow the tracks of the thing that is chasing them. Hell, coyotes that smell your tracks when coming to the call will sometimes leave and they are not being chased.

hate to break this to you Sherlock but.....
they absolutalty will. you see,in the area Tim and i hunt,there is WIDE open fields with little cover. a smart coyote will not want to break cover readily. i've had/seen coyotes do EXACTALY what he's described so before some start piling on the gang-up bandwagon, best know what YOU'RE talking about [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
coyote down
Member # 2887

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 05:18 PM      Profile for coyote down   Email coyote down         Edit/Delete Post 
so why not just wait for them if thats what they do in that area?
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 05:42 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
According to your above explainations on what coyotes in your area do, why wouldn't you want to chase them all into the brush. According to you all you have to do is chase them in a circle and they will follow you. If this is the case all you would have to do is choose someplace to sit hidden and they would walk right up to you.

Coyote down thats what we do once a coyote gets in the plum brush, we will have another hunter post up and wait for the tracker to bring the coyote back around. When a coyote is under pressure they will follow the same tracks made by the tracker just trying to stay far enough ahead or behind to avoid getting shot. In this case human scent dose'nt seem to bother them, all they want to do is survive..

--------------------

the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 05:54 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
well i can't say so for Tims account but when hunting with a group, we (try) to keep a plan and that is usually to try to get the coyote in the direction of a poster. i've seen coyotes go round and round and round in a 2 acre thicket for hours without breaking cover. also have seen them follow my EXACT steps and even spots where i've had to get on my hands and knees to crawl under blow-downs. at these times, human scent does not worry them. noise coming behind them does.
a smart educated coyote can/will do some amazing things when being persued.

coyote down
Member # 2887

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 05:55 PM      Profile for coyote down   Email coyote down         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here's what doesn't make sense from your explaination. If the coyotes truly follow you, why would you need another hunter posted up when they would be coming to you? If you have another hunter posted up and the tracker is bringing the coyote to them, then aren't you pushing him again, and he is not really following you?
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 05:56 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard not talking down to anyone. Some people tend to take some of my posts and assume its directed at them when it is'nt.

Just like this quote;
quote:
I know lots of guys that been calling for over 20 years, dose'nt mean they are any good at it..
It was'nt directed at you or chad but at the guys that have been doing it for sometime and not learned a thing or gotten better at it..
Both of you proably realized that and just want to use it for another reason to ragg my azz.. [Big Grin]

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 05:57 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
I think the guys are browbeating to make a point without actually coming right out with a direct question for you to address. So here goes...

When hunting with your 'crew', I'd imagine you are looking for hot sign (fresh tracks) going into cover where presumably, there is a coyote or coyotes laid up? Or are you just pushing cover blindly to get something moving?

Either way, before the 'crew' moves into an area of cover to push, I think it's safe to assume that you have a reasonable expectation of a coyote being in that cover to warrant the effort to trudge through the snow & push?

Assuning that you have a good idea that there is a coyote laid up in that cover, here's the direct question: you've got a captive audience, so why don't you just bust out the e-caller, call the coyote in and shoot it?

Simple enough question.

You know a coyote is in earshot.
Why don't you just call it in and shoot it?
Why does killing YOUR coyotes require a 'crew', when you've got all the knowledge and tools at your disposal to kill coyotes anywhere in the country???

This is what I think is so puzzling to most of us. You seem to be full of answers and words of wisdom for everyone else, yet for some reason you don't practice what you preach?
If all your nuggets of golden info are so relevant, then why the heck ain't you cleaned out all your local stock?

Don't you locate & determine the age class of your coyotes before you hunt them?

Don't you start off slow & gradually build up til you "trip their trigger"?

How about all those 'perfect' stand scenarios you post pics of. What prevents you from implementing those same strategies successfully on a coyote you KNOW is within earshot???

If you've got a coyote holed up in some brush, then why the heck can't ya just wave the magic TA17 wand and make them come in for an easy rifle shot???

I've hunted around enough to know that coyotes in other parts of the country sure do react differently. But I'd sure like to know how all the advice & wisdom you spew is somehow not applicable to your own home turf???

Inquiring minds need to know!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 05:58 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
they don't do it enough to warrant the time. but they will do it occasionally.

now back to the cs24-wt debate

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 06:24 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
OK, here's what doesn't make sense from your explaination. If the coyotes truly follow you, why would you need another hunter posted up when they would be coming to you? If you have another hunter posted up and the tracker is bringing the coyote to them, then aren't you pushing him again, and he is not really following you?
These plum brush thicketts are like little islands of heavey cover with little trails going through them that the coyote follows. As the tracker closes the gap on the coyote it will start to run in a circle staying inside the cover and just ahead of the tracker. If the tracker stops moveing the coyote stops moveing.. The tracker can keep going around following the coyote in a circle all day and the tracker could even reverse his direction, but so will the coyote as they can hear and smell you the whole time, they know where you are..
Here is a pic with some plum brush on both sides of the creek to give you a idea of how thick it canbe.
 -

--------------------

coyote down
Member # 2887

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 06:43 PM      Profile for coyote down   Email coyote down         Edit/Delete Post 
Your still talking about pushing the coyote or the coyote being in (front) of you. I am going to restate my question for you. If the coyotes follow you (behind you)then why not just wait and shoot him? I understand about pushing one in front of you.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters