The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Fun weekend... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Fun weekend...
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2016 04:57 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Was finally able to get away for a weekend up to the farm! Excited to get some shooting and a bit of calling in before our coyote season closes next weekend...

Took a chance on a new riflescope recently, and was excited to shake it out on my 6x45AI. The Athlon Midas 4.5-27x50 is a 'mid-level- scope with some nice features: 6x zoom range, HD glass illuminated mil-based reticle, 30mm tube. All the extraneous, non essential goodies a scope whore looks for!

Anyhoo, the glass was impressive for the $$$, the turrets tracked true, so I gave it a seal of approval. Next thing to do was see how it'd do on stand...

Hiked up into one of my 'honey holes' to hit it from a new angle, the wind finally allowed this approach I'd been wanting to try. The deer were out & about, turkeys cluckin' & purring...there HAD to be a coyote within earshot!!! Got settled in an hour before Sunset for the long sit until darkness settled in. I know that sounds crazy to most of you guys, but this is what I've learned it takes back here to call/kill coyotes in the daytime with any regularity...

Considering that, I tote gear appropriate to staying comfy & still for an extended time period. Paramount is a good chair! Been using a turkey lounger type chair. Its kinda big, but the comfort it allows for is worth the heft.

Also, been adapting a carbon fiber tripod and gun cradle for use on night stands these last few seasons. This tripod/cradle setup keeps my hands free on stand to run the light and a call. This last year or so, started taking it during daylight stands as well...

Been experimenting with, and swapping around, different types of tripod heads. Fluid heads are super for night calling, allowing for a smooth pan with a light attached to the head. But they leave something to be desired when having to maneuver to get on an approaching coyote. For that, found a ball head allows much better leveling capability. IE, the floating head allows to quickly level the rifle without having to re-adjust the tripod legs. A fluid video head simply can't do that on its own...

Was using a Manfrotto 055 ball head, but that bitch was too heavy. Have since found a Sirui K-20x ball head. It's half the weight, yet can still handle the weight of my rifles & clamp down tight enough to hold solid. The smaller ball head still 'floats' smoothly, allowing for fast & steady target engagement...

Pic of my gun cradle setup on stand, holding my 6x45AI and new Athlon scope on top. Notice the tripod legs are not 'even' on the soft/broken ground, yet the ball head allows the rifle to be 'level' and locked into position:
 -

Its great to sit back with hands free to run a hand call, or e-caller remote without holding onto a set of stix & 10 lb. rifle for over an hour!

Fun part is, carrying all that shit paid off! Right on que, after the Sun sunk below the hills, here comes a coyote slowly trotting in to see about an intruder. Decided to end things @ 90yds and thumped an 87Vmax into it.
Stayed put until dark thirty, messing with the remote, but didn't see another taker. That's not to say there wasn't another one there, though! Hustled up to see my prize before it got pitch dark...
 -

41 lb. female, one of the bigger girls I've killed...but surprisingly dry & barren? I'da thought a mature female would be bred by now? No matter, glad the alpha breeder female might still out there making more coyotes for me to kill next fall. Its been a mild winter with little snow, so the hound guys haven't been running much, either. Happy for that, leaves more coyotes for me to try to fool on my own terms...

Happy hunting!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2016 06:00 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Great story, Fred! Love the stock on that gun!!!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2016 07:36 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Schweet!!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2016 09:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, agree, Good story. Damn, takes more dedication than I have.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS how much, the scope?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2016 11:26 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, gents!

Leonard, that scope was $599. Was considering a Nightforce for twice the price, but decided to give this one a whirl. So far, so good, but we'll see if it stands the test of time...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2016 11:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, durability is important, as is customer service. Aside from a purely optical evaluation.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2016 03:07 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Fred, just noticed the ball head. Sure you wouldn't be using it if you didn't like it.

Somebody asked about using one, on another board. I replied, that I had no experience using a rifle on a ball head, but lots of experience using one with a camera. And, that I thought (based on my no experience...), that I thought it would massively suck ass for shooting on a coyote stand.

Looks like, mebbe I should have kept my inexperienced thoughts to myself...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2016 07:40 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying a similar rig right now. The ball head and carbon fiber tripod. I've shot a couple with it but the verdict is still out. I think I like it.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2016 08:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like there is something going on, like filming or working a light, at night by yourself? Otherwise, I don't really see an advantage? If you ever have to lift it and reposition, whatever usefulness seems lost? But, what do I know?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2016 03:03 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, what are you using for the cradle?

What, exactly are you using too Fred?

- DAA

--------------------

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2016 04:48 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, Athlon has a transferrable, lifetime warranty for all their scopes. That definitely mitigated the risk factor for trying 'un-tested' gear...

Dave, I'll start from the ground up on the kit.
Tripod is a (discontinued) Manfrotto 732CY
Head is a Sirui K-10x (edit)
Cradle shown is a TRICLAWPS clamp mount

For night hunting, I have PRS cradle, shown here (not my pic)
 -

The PRS cradle has Picatinny rail mounted to the right side, where I attach a handheld red LED torch to. With that atop my 701HDV fluid head, I can pan & scan the light back & forth, while the rifle sits across my legs. That way, I'm only panning the empty cradle & attached light...saves ALOT of effort. IF/when I see "eyes", I just lift the rifle up and rest it into the PRS cradle while keeping the light on the critter. Sounds a little wonky, but it works for me!

There are some other gun 'clamps' on the market, most notably the Hog Saddle & Pig Saddle. Those suckers are heavy duty, designed to hold 'sniper' rifles from improvised positions: (also not my pic, LOL)
 -

Seeing as how my predator rifles are <11 lbs, I went with the Triclawps clamp at less than 1/2 the price of a Hog Saddle...

I'll say right off, for whacking a <150 yd. coyote, a tripod's advantage is prolly negligible. But once you get out toward & past 200yds, the tripod/clamp/ballhead becomes much easier to hold & keep steady on. I've shot my kit side by side with Bogpods & Stoney points, and the difference is quite apparent.

Far as maneuvering goes, just keep two tripod legs rearward, and one leg forward. If you have to re-position, just tilt back onto the rear legs, then lift & move, same as you would a set of two-legged stix.
As I mentioned above, this is where the ballhead shines, allowing you to 'self-level' the rifle/cradle after moving on uneven ground. Having to adjust the leg height to re-level the rifle ain't gonna happen when a coyote's on the way, but the ballhead makes it a non-issue...

Like I said, I started using the tripod to keep my hands free at night. But its been serving equally well during the day. I HATE wearing heavy gloves, so when its cold, I can keep my hands in my pockets while my rifle sits supported 'at the ready'...

Even though the setup weighs a tad more than traditional stix, the relief it allows on stand by holding the mass of your rifle really adds up! And it sure is nice to not hafta keep the rifle balanced against your shoulder & on the stix while running the remote. Now, I just sit back & comfortably recline in my turkey seat until incoming fur is detected. From there on out, I'm up on the rifle and ready to shoot from a rock solid support...

Too bad that 732CY tripod is discontinued! It's barely 2 lbs., just sturdy enough to hold a predator rifle from a seated position. Been looking at other lightweight tripods & Slik is a candidate.

Also curious to see which tripod Cal is using!?!

[ March 29, 2016, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2016 05:02 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my whole enchilada, after a successful stand in Oklahoma. That's the Manfrotto 055 ball head holding my .22-243AI in the Triclawps clamp...

-

Once the weather warms up, gonna 'sponge' on some flat Tan & OD Krylon onto the dark parts of the head and clamp to knock the visibility down...

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2016 05:29 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Fred!

I have several tripods, a couple ball heads and one fluid head. So all I'd need to try it is the cradle.

For lightweight, maybe even "too" light? I have this CF tripod:

http://www.feisol.net/tripods/travel-tripods/feisol-travel-tripod-ct-3441t-rapid.html

It has a Markins Q3T ball head on it. It's the rig I carry when I want to hike long distances with my DSLR and a 'pod. Wouldn't be that much more to carry on stand than a bog pod tripod with their long cradle.

For heavy, maybe even "too" heavy? I have this CF tripod:

http://www.feisol.net/tripods/elite-tripods/feisol-tripod-ct-3472.html

And it has this (70mm) ball head on it:

http://www.feisol.net/heads/ball-heads/feisol-ball-head-cb-70d.html

It's the rig I use for running my DSLR out of a vehicle, or anytime I want to use my long lens (600mm) off a tripod. It's incredibly steady and damps out vibrations amazingly fast. More than I'd want to carry on a coyote stand, but I'd sure be willing to carry it on a canyon style 'chuck walk about where most shots are 300+ on coke can sized targets.

And then I have an older set of Manfrotto aluminum legs with a 501 fluid head on it. Used to shoot video off it. The legs, although heavy, aren't nearly as stable as the CF legs above, and takes ten times as long to damp out vibrations. I tested them side by side one day with my 600mm lens and the CF legs were so vastly superior it wasn't even funny!

- DAA

--------------------

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2016 05:53 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I don't think that first setup with the CF Feisol and Markens head would be too light, at all. Would be just about ideal, actually!

Heck, my little 732CY tripod is only rated for 7.7 lbs. But, being I only really extend the first set of leg extensions, it holds a rifle plenty steady. I'd sure want to step up to something heavier if I were any higher off the ground...

I also have a much larger Manfrotto 055CX PRO Carbon fiber tripod. That sucker is ALOT more beefy than the puny 732CY, and with the bigger 055 ball head, can support a heavy rifle & shoot from standing position with, no problemo...

Yeah man, looks like all ya'd need is that Triclawps to go with your lightweight tripod/Markens head. Real nice stuff ya got, BTW!!!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2016 05:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting stuff.

For me, I always call with a partner so whatever I need in the way of clamping and holding devices, I tend to mount them on my rack, for hunting out of the hatch. But, I know many of us have no experience, other than our Texas friends.

Anyway, I have always considered Manfrotto as the cat's ass for tripods and the clamping heads, etc. Now, Dave comes up with Feisol, a brand I have never heard of? Is it comparable, or considered better or what? Or in the realm of personal choice?

I've seen some more stout tripods but they are usually made differently with a sliding square tube (or wood) sandwiched between two side supports. But, I notice you guys are using aluminum tubing legs. Still not inexpensive, if those are real world prices?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2016 04:53 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, Manfrotto has always been a mostly mid level type of brand. Good stuff, always has been, but hasn't ever really been considered top end. Though in recent years they have been coming out with some CF legs aimed at the high end market. But Gitzo gets most of the accolades there and is the brand most used by photographers. The Feisol's I have are basically bargain priced Gitzo knock-offs. Not considered a high end brand, more of a low end trying to act high end. I've found them very well made and a great bang for the buck compared to the expensive stuff.

And - no, not aluminum. Carbon fiber. Way more better than aluminum!

- DAA

--------------------

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2016 04:54 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, 'walk-in' hunting definitely poses its own set of challenges. The way I hunt here, the tripod deal has proven to be the schizz! And I've taken it out west a couple times, allows for the same comfort, stability & convenience on stand out there, too...

Manfrotto is a most recognizable name, but Feisol, Markens & some others make some high quality shit. Really Right Stuff makes some crazy high end gear, too! Dave has mentioned in the past how much $$$ a quality camera lens can set ya back, so it only stands to reason that photographers take their support devices VERY seriously! If you want your head to spin, just go to B&H Photo's website & surf around for camera support gear. YOWZA!!!

I actually have been to the physical storefront of B&H on the west side of Manhattan, it is MIND BOGGLING, to say the least!

Funny story, I actually took my dog into B&H store when he was a few month old pup. The security guard at the door looked at Pokey's orange collar with brass nameplate, and asked if he was a service dog in training? I just nodded & in we went, LOL.

Once inside, it was like no other store I'd ever been in! B&H is operated entirely by Hasidim, and run like a military operation, at that!

Customers take # at a service desk in the area of interest. When your # is called, you get individual service from a knowledgeable sales associate. You have 1 on 1 attention from that moment, on.

When you decide on a product(s), you are issued another ticket & directed to the payment line, downstairs.

Once payment is tendered, you are issued ANOTHER ticket to be remitted at the merchandise pickup line!

Before you leave, your receipt & merchandise are checked one last time, by security.

I'm telling ya, its some operation! I just remember the quirky looks I got, having my little red pup @ heel in that unique & crowded store. Funny shit!!!

Anymore, I order from B&H website. No hassles & free shipping that usually turns out to be 'next day', due to proximity. I'll take that, over driving across Manhattan, any day!

ANYHOO...

It's only in the last decade or so that information of military snipers adopting/modifying camera support devices to hold rifles has become common knowledge. From that point, it's only a matter of time before those tactics have trickled down to, and modified by, recreational shooters & hunters for their own use. Seeing as how predator hunters are mostly riflemen at heart, adopting camera gear for our benefit has been a foregone conclusion, far as I'm concerned...

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2016 02:15 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Man those are some nice high tech gadgets for calling coyotes. I'm almost embarrased to admit that I am still using my old and worn Verne Howey shooting sticks.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2016 03:25 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too Chad!

I've bought and tried others but keep going back to my old Howeys.

- DAA

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2016 03:27 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll call and raise you Chad....nothing but elbows on knees for me, can't do pods and sticks.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2016 03:28 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I might try the Triclawps now too,. Thinking more chucks than coyote but if I have it I'll dang sure give it a whirl on some stands.

- DAA

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2016 09:29 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Vic, I fold.... I'm to damn shakey unless I have a good pair of Howey sticks as a rest.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2016 03:59 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, the tripod allows me more than just added stability, it allows my rifle to stay 'at the ready' while on 60-90 minute stands. I realize that part is easily lost on you fellas who get squirmy by 8 minutes and are headed back to the truck @ 12 minutes...

But, make a long stand & try keepin' your rifle pointed toward the likely area of approach for an hour, or more. After enduring a few of those stands, reckon it would be a might easier to see the upside of going "hands free"...

I can shoot off stix, too. Heck, I even broke a set of cheapo stix one day & shot coyotes, elbows/knees. Not my forte or preference, but doable, nonetheless. More power to you gents for keeping it real!!!
But, for how I choose to call here, this rifle clamp/tripod deal is a blessing on long stands. And the convenience it allows for is not lost on shorter stands, either.
If/when a long shot does present itself, three legs are appreciably more solid, than two. In that regard, I'll take every bit of extra stability that I can get!!!

Dave, I think you'll like using the tripod for 'chucks! I did some of my 'testing' of various heads while chuck smackin'. A fluid head is OK for static targets like 'chucks, just level the legs off & shoot...
 -

As you eluded to, being able to hit a soda can sized target at more than a few hundred yards is not easy. Well, not without a tripod, anyway!
 -

For ease of target acquisition, the ball head is far & away the better mousetrap. And while 'chuckin', you can carry both the Triclawps & your spotting scope with Arca-Swiss plates attached, and swap 'em back & forth onto the tripod head. Easy peasy!

[ March 25, 2016, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2016 05:20 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've always gone prone for walk about chucks. The longish ones anyway. But since having my neck fused last year, that ain't happening anymore!

- DAA

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2016 06:08 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
DAA, I remember you mentioning about possibly having neck surgery sometime back. I hope it went well? How did it turn out though?
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters