The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Fun weekend... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Fun weekend...
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2016 11:41 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, it went "pretty good". Surgery itself was no big whoop. A year later and I still have pain, but it's very mild compared to a year ago. And, doc told me it would take up to two years for the nerves to heal, so there's hope for more improvement in the pain department.

Mobility not effected all that much, either. But craning my neck from a prone position just kinda doesn't work anymore.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2016 11:56 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what happened, whiplash or degenerative? I have neck problems myself, due to a severe whiplash probably 40 years ago and some subsequent arthritis. I used to do a lot of design work that required me to analyze overhead plant. Always looking UP involved chronic pain. I can't even sleep on my stomach. (my used to be, preferred position) Can't turn my head that far sideways.

I have a small chip on (forget?) first or second vertebrae,
(I should know that, but it was a long time ago) and it's where they would have to cut from the front, and the thought of that freaks me out so I never really considered it. Getting old ain't for sissies.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2016 04:15 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel bad about not remembering which discs Leonard. I can't even remember which two I had fused... It was either C3-C4 or C4-C5, but I don't remember exactly.

Had bone spurs pinching a nerve. Nerve tore. Hellaciously painful. Lived with it for months. Only way it could heal, was remove the spurs to unpinch the nerve. Came in from the front, moved all my throat stuff out of the way, removed a disc, chiseled off the bone spurs, put a deadmans bone spacer in place of the disc, screwed it all together with a titanium plate.

Like I said, still feeling that torn nerve, but it's not anything like it was before surgery.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2016 04:17 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and the surgery wasn't bad at all. Went in early in the morning, home late that afternoon. That was on a Thursday. Drove to pick my wife up from the hospital from having her own problems the next day. Went to work on Monday.

- DAA

--------------------

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2016 04:41 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to get by with less, I just don't seem to be able to. I shot Verns sticks for years. The tri pod deal weighs similar and isn't really any harder to carry. I'm using a "pig saddle" on mine. I prefer prone for anything over 200 yards but due to brush or grass I can't do it in many places. I just can't stand missing if I can help it, and I can't shoot accurately very far without a rest or off my knees and elbows. One thing Fred pointed out about the tri pod system is that it is nice to have your gun sitting there already in position.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2016 08:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the thing about prone. Not only can it be stressful on level ground, as opposed to looking downhill, but in so many cases, grass and all kinds of twigs and brush can obscure your vision. Then, two more problems, for me. You have ants crawling all over you and it's amazing the amount of scattered dead cactus spines mixed in the gravel! I always seem to find them by the braille method.

I found, in the army that my best position was squatting, elbows supported on my knees. This is explained when there might be toxic agents on the ground, so you don't want to lie in it, if at all possible. That's why, like Vic is always talking about, I started using shooting sticks late in the game. I was always content propping my elbows on my knees; it's very stable.

And, lastly, like Dave, my neck just won't allow me to shoot prone on level ground. The time I killed six coyotes on a stand, I was prone, and quite comfortable on top of a pile of gravel; a custom fit if there ever was one.

these days, however, I am quite attached to my sticks, which are two part with a ball detent quick detachable two part fixture permanently attached to the forestock. Works for me, and I'm a little puzzled as to why it's not a lot more popular?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2016 10:24 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great Fred!

Wish we could use a rifle at night here in the Peoples' Republik.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2016 08:13 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody always builds a better mousetrap. I've been looking at these tripod innovations since I watched Cal's FoxPro episode. I can see the advantage of having a stand alone rest when glassing, like he does, filming, or running a light. For what I do, resting the buttstock on my leg, keeping it put with one hand and running the remote with the other, I'm sticking with my original setup (Hammer's) at this point. I did manage to let my bolt rifle roll out of it once when it was still pretty new. That's only happened the one time though.

Leonard and Vic, there's some of you who are sharp shooters and prefer to keep it simple. I applaud guys who can shoot as well as they want without fancy gadgets. Some of us need to cheat. I can state unequivocally that my shooting has improved by a big margin since switching to a tripod. As much difference as sticks make, being able to lean into that front tripod leg and remove almost every bit of wobble from a variety of positions, is a big improvement.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2016 09:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my shooting has improved by a big margin since switching to a tripod.
Of course. I wouldn't deny the truth of a steadier tripod, I think it has to do with the utility or "handiness" when dragging those three legs right or left on a runner. But, Wyoming conditions where you can see way out yonder is going to be an advantage; in a lot of cases. Especially since Cal is a dad burned professional and probably knows exactly where his coyote will come romping in, direction and exactly when.

You know the drill, considering AZ conditions. Especially doubles busting out of cover, moving your elbows may be a little faster if not more accurate than a tripod. But, I haven't seen your habits and where you set up, so you know what you are doing, we just have to guess. Also, I might like to find out one day, but understand you prefer solo yote wackin' so perhaps it's not in the cards?

No, it's obviously steadier and therefore, more accurate. It just depends on whether it's worth it on 75/100 yard chip shots?

That reminds me of something. You probably eliminate 75 yard chip shots by how and where you set up? I spent an afternoon with a man probably ten years ago, and he, (several times) walked out in unfamiliar cover, analyzing as he proceeded, and when he didn't see the exact set up, he turned around and walked back to the truck!

Now me? I would have made the most of it, but wasting 15-20 minutes walking out and walking back without sitting down and...well, you know? I'm still scratching my head over that one and some of you guys might know who I'm talking about, especially if you shoot sub-calibers? lol

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2016 01:06 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Whether it's worth it or not is the key. I still get my share of gimmes on the ones who are willing to play with the dogs, but more times than not they like to back out a ways and survey the situation from a safe distance. I cover them at that point and the instant they give me an indication that they are going to split, I try to seal the deal. Sometimes it's a simple head turn, sometimes it's a lot more urgent than that and some of those still live to be called to again. I haven't killed a handful of coyotes with a shotgun over the last 5 or 6 years, and you're right, I won't sit down in a place where I can't see to shoot a ways. I don't turn around and go back to the vehicle very often, but it does happen. I don't like it, and I don't like walking very far to set up, but my thinking is that I'm not going to call a spot if I don't feel like I have a pretty reasonable chance of killing anything that shows up. My daddy always said "Boy, if you're gonna do anything, do it right". Non-summertime coyotes, dogs, and tight cover is bad juju, IMO.

Early on in my dog morph I had several instances where I could see flashes of the players in the brush, but could never shoot. Sometimes it went on for quite a while and no matter how many times I whistled the dog back into the open, the coyote/s wouldn't go for it. Doesn't take a whole lot of that kind of frustration to get a guy to tweak his tactics. What I do with my dogs is quite a bit different than the experts, and the little pot lickers cost me coyotes every year. The joys of calling over dogs when it ain't dogging season, lol. I am going to go up north one more time next weekend if the wind cooperates. Hopefully the coyotes will be a little more cooperative than the were a month ago.

jimanaz
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2016 04:42 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly as I expected. No locating, but if you sit down in the right spot, you'll have fun. Sat down in one right spot over a day and a half. Had coyotes howling all around me beyond that, but not close enough. They ain't going far this time of year. Called a double in the one right spot and my partner missed the bitch as she was exiting, stage left. The only other coyote we saw showed at about 15 minutes, was in no big hurry, and got snuffed at ~200. Lone dog. If I lived close enough to that place that I could do some homework, there would be a lot more fun to be had.
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2016 04:45 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Jiminaz, I'm not familiar with your country,but you think a lot like I do. I am aware that my style of calling or stand selection doesn't work everywhere. I figured that out a few times. First time was when I went to the World hunt a year it was in Elko. I talked to Les Johnson a little and he said we needed to get in the brush with those coyotes there. I didn't beleieve I couldn't call them out of the brush like I was used to. He was right, I was wrong, and we got our asses kicked.

[ April 06, 2016, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2016 10:32 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Courtesy of Dave's input, I wound up snoopin' around with Feisol tripods a bit more. Wound up grabbing a CT-3402 tripod. Its only a few ounces more than my old Manfrotto 732-CY, but has a wider base that allows it to be quite a bit more sturdy & stable. Swapped that Sirui K-10x ball head onto it with the Triclawps clamp, and that fucker is really solid...
Still have to weigh the whole enchilada to confirm the weight penalty, but its definitely tolerable. Toting it in a daypack makes carrying chores a non-issue...
Will swap my 700RC2 mini fluid head back onto the 732-CY tripod for night calling chores, where the extended handle allows for easy panning of the light. And that combo will be a honey for backpack trips with a baby Nikon ED50a spottin' scope.

Looking forward to see how/ if you dudes make out with your tripod rigs!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2016 11:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I continue to be agnostic. But, you folks have my blessings. <roll eyes>

No, really. I think shooting sticks like I use, which is solidly attached to the forestock similar to a Harris bipod and pulled into my shoulder completes the three point steadiness. Good enough for me....at ranges which I (ethically) have any business shooting at an animal. Truthfully, I don't miss very many.

Sorry. I'm all for innovation; I just don't see the vast need.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2016 12:06 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
If your agnostic Leonard; Im an atheist. I constantly rib one of my coyote hunting partners, that if I can't shoot a called coyote off my hind legs, or sitting with an elbow on a knee, I have no fucking business being out there.
He uses a set of sticks I got off Byron South from one of the past rondys. If my pard forgets those sticks, the world comes to an end, he is not comfortable shooting without them.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2016 12:13 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I am by no means a great rifle shot, but I have never felt like I needed more than my Howey shooting sticks for most shots on Coyotes from 50-300 yards. Which is probably 99% of the Coyotes I shoot at with my rifle. There have been a very few number of times when I could of used a little steadier rest but definitely not enough to give up my Howeys.

More often than not anymore I have the problem Cal mentioned, with Coyotes not wanting to come out of the thick Nevada Sage brush. So I usually pack my Benelli most of the time and get right in there with them.lol

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2016 04:16 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys can keep nitpicking the significance of a stability benefit, but ya can't argue the convenience factor a tripod allows for.

For illustrative purposes, this is a 20lb. rifle being held securely. Obviously not a coyote rifle, just making a point on the stability a tripod allows for...
 -

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2016 07:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anybody is doing that, Fred. I said previously, that a tripod is obviously a more stable platform than a bipod.

The question is: do some of us think a tripod is required in shooting a predator on an average day stand? I know people that have killed 20 coyotes in a single day, that didn't need a tripod to accomplish the task. Myself, on a few fortunate occasions, I have killed a dozen coyotes in one day of hunting.

Every once in a while, a situation came up where a steadier rest might have had advantage. But, like they say, call them closer. Not really, I understand that is a copout because, in the case of multiples, they aren't coming in, they are getting the hell out of Dodge.

So many scenarios. We have all seen cover that doesn't allow any kind of shot past 78.5 yards. If you need a steady device in such a situation, you probably partied a bit too much the night before.

Anyway, for myself, a tripod is one of those things we can sometimes sacrifice because it's too heavy and one item too much junk to pack to a stand location. I'm not a minimalist, at all, but somethings I can manage without, in the majority of situations. I will leave my can of Sprite and the cupholder most of the time, although there is no denying, it's cool to have.

Another thing, if you have suffered along to this point. Fred, that rig looks like it is not even close to the balance point? I can understand reasons for it but as soon as you loosen the thingy that holds it tight....never mind, I'm sure you have it fingered out.

If you ever catch me on stand with a tripod, I deserve chastisement. Don't hold your breath! [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2016 04:42 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I purposely dropped that heavy rifle in the cradle in order to show the gripping power & base of the system. The fact that the rifle is "off balance" only serves to highlight how stable & rigid that tripod will hold a rifle in a 'ready' position on stand. Then, all ya gotta do is sit up into a natural position behind rifle to get on target. The gun is waitin' for ya, just where ya left it...

Once on the rifle, the weak-side hand controls the tension knob (left side) of the ball head. It's only maybe a 1/2 a turn to loosen it, and you're back to smooth movement from the ball head. Once you're on target, if you please, you can snug the tension knob back up a bit to 'lock down' for super stability. Or, keep the ball head 'loose' and shoot, same as you would off stix...

Point is, the weak side hand remains on the tension knob control while up on the gun, and the intuitive nature of adjusting the tension & tracking a moving target comes quick & easy! If you have to swing beyond the range of your body position, that same off-side hand is used to pick the whole tripod up & re-position it as you shift around (same as you would do with a two-legged stix). With the added benefit of having the ball head able to 'level' the rifle off regardless of leg position. As mentioned earlier, this is where the ball head shines over a fluid head...

It's cool that you older, seasoned dudes stick to yer guns about how ya do things. It obviously works & works well, otherwise you'd be doing different. Just making it known that sometimes a mousetrap comes along that actually might be a better one than the ol' snaptrap you're used to.

I'm an equal opportunity coyote caller and will use anything & everything at my disposal to become better at killing every coyote that comes to a call.

Isn't that what we're all striving for? Or, is this some pm-esque pipedream where we call coyotes just to catch a glimpse, then watch 'em run off with master's level education in Lightning Jack & Pup 3???

If avoiding that eventuality means toting a tripod in my AO, then pass the carbon fiber, please! Getting to the point now where the ones that get away crowd my memory more than the ones that didn't. Man, I hate to see them get away!!!

For conversation...

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2016 04:43 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking good Fred.

I've got a Triclawps now too. Looking forward to trying it out on some walk about 'chucks next month.

Will definitely give it a try on a few coyote stands too. Thinking it would be especially good if I want to try having a shotgun and a rifle when I'm by myself.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2016 06:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just one final point, Fred. (and read this without hostility, I really mean well, as you do)

Make no mistake, when it comes to innovation or trying new, different things, you have no idea where we have been and the things that have gone on in terms of trying something else, something new.

I mean, quite literally, the evolution is mind boggling. Even something so conventional as shooting sticks. There must be 20 or 30 available? Do you think it was always that way? Was there always a Foxpro? Do you think we have always had camo'ed fiberglass stocks?

Way before there were factory chambered 22-250Ackley's and 6.5 Creedmore's, a hot ticket was the 243Winchester, and a 222Rem Magnum; still adequate, BTW.

I have sat a stand with a tape deck and recorded hand calls. I used to lug my handmade machine and a motorcycle battery on stand. You people have no idea how lucky you are when it comes to things that are just handed to you?

There was a time when camouflage clothing was unavailable, maybe WWII at the Army surplus store, if you were lucky? So don't sit there so smug and rave about fluid heads and having everything all figured out. (read that gently, it's well intended)

So. Sorry, you don't deserve my scolding, I know you have the best of intentions.

But, really, I didn't just fall off the pumpkin truck. I have fabricated stuff you wouldn't believe. Now a days, you order "online" when we didn't even have computers. Wow! Was there a time we didn't have iPhones and GPS? Can you imagine, before computer ballistic programs?

There was a time, nobody was hunting coyotes, a few guys in Kalifornia and maybe Texas? THAT'S IT ! This was before OUR pressure forced coyotes all the way to New York, in the past fifty years or so. At one time, if I saw somebody hunting coyotes anywhere in the state of Nevada, I knew who they were. Nobody else bothered with such trivial stuff.

So, there really wasn't a market for the things we all take for granted these days. If you get a Cabela's catalog, the first fifty pages are concerned with every item of camouflaged clothing, all patented and GoreTexed in every shade imaginable.... When, years ago, we couldn't find it anywhere, at any price.

John Wooters wrote a column in Guns and Ammo once where he described how he painted his coveralls in patterns to look like prickly pear cactus. That's how bad it was. And, I am dwelling on something so basic; specialized clothing. Now you can get your ball point pen in camo, and your knife and your flashlight. Can you imagine that at one time, we couldn't get ANYTHING in any camo?

If I was really stuck in my ways, I would buy an Army poncho and spray paint it in 2 or 3 colors and call it good. You think I haven't?

Yes, you young whippersnappers have it easy these days; telling us old foggies to get up to speed, get with the times! But, you have the benefit of all who have gone before you. Appreciate these gifts.

END OF RANT. LB

edit: by the way, that really is something to try, what Dave suggested above. a tripod holding either your rifle or shotgun ready. Not a bad idea to kick around.

edit: this is the comment that set me off:
quote:

It's cool that you older, seasoned dudes stick to yer guns about how ya do things. It obviously works & works well, otherwise you'd be doing different. Just making it known that sometimes a mousetrap comes along that actually might be a better one than the ol' snaptrap you're used to.

[ April 11, 2016, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2016 09:40 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No problemo, Leonard!

Hey, one thing I feel most of us share is having a deep-down driving passion for calling coyotes. That is a basic common denominator where we can all find common ground! The fact that we choose our own paths toward that passion is part of what makes the challenge so interesting & 'fresh'. So, disagreeing on 'this-n-that' is par for the course...

BTW, I called & killed my first coyote here in NY 19 yrs ago, with a Johnny Stewart tape player & 25ft roll-out speaker cord. So, although I'm not one of the pioneers of calling coyotes in the west, I didn't exactly just fall off the apple cart, either.

No worries! I just thought ya wouldn't be so quick to knock a tripod til ya actually tried one for yourself...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2016 10:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just reread my comments. I have NOT knocked a tripod. It is just that I don't really feel the need for one. If I borrowed one from one of you guys that have three or four stacked in the corner of the garage, I might try it, but I'm not spending $600 to try something that I don't think I need.

I think there is probably a place for a tripod, somewhere. If Cal Taylor uses one, I have to admit that much. If DAA is considering using one for 'chucks, I guess I should allow there is a place for such things. If NY Fred uses one, he must have a useful reason, or he is compensating for his inadequacies, or something? (just kidding)

Is tripods the Second Coming? Let the members decide!

Good hunting. El Bee

Real men vote NO

what do girly men say?

(I'm kidding, I'm kidding! Okay?)

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2016 04:33 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
If I had all the dollars back I've spent trying new shit...

I'd have a lot of dollars!

But the tri-pod deal works. I've shot a dozen or twenty coyotes with it now and I like it. FOR MY STYLE OF HUNTING. I wouldn't pack it a lot of places, but here it's pretty handy.

--------------------

Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2016 04:42 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
In these blackjack and scrub oak hills of north east Okla. its hard enough to get shooting sticks level, a tripod would be a nightmare. I could see them for out west where its flat, but where I hunt you don't get many shots that are on flat ground or over 200yds and that would be a long shot. I use Stoney point shooting sticks for the last ten years they work for me. Everybody does it different, some like it old school and simple and some go for the Buck Rogers approach to each his own.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters