The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Fun weekend... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Fun weekend...
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2016 05:27 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie, the tripod/ball head actually works better than two legged stix on un-even ground, because the floating head does the leveling for you! Trust me, it works in Oklahoma...
 -

-

[ April 12, 2016, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2016 06:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to find this:
quote:
out west where its flat
But, I think Stoney Point is what I use?

And besides, maybe the fact that a tripod is stand alone is the advantage more than "steady" while aiming?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Hunting/Hunting-Accessories/Shooting-Sticks-Bipods%7C/pc/104791680/c/104734980/sc/104564880/Stoney-Point-Rapid-Pivot-Bipod/5715.uts

[ April 12, 2016, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2016 11:14 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen Fred hit a smaller than life size steel coyote target at a 1000 yards with that tripod setup. While not a practical distance for coyote killin, it does make for a stable platform.

Im still using a two legged bogpod and like it, but never know what the future holds.

PS nice day in Oklahoma Fred. Yall did well.

Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2016 11:43 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that Buck Rodgers up there?

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2016 05:13 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a chance to try out the Triclawps on a few chucks this weekend. Using my .22-250AI. Worked pretty good!

-

-

In the spot pictured above, we were popping them off those reefs across the canyon. Anywhere from 275 yards, to the furthest one at 475 yards.

Here's a few that all got plucked off a spire at 370. Three shots, three sploots.

-

Don't think it would work very well for me on my typical coyote stand. Some of the time, it could be real handy, but not that often. I like it though, easy-easy setup for stuff like walk and pop for chucks along a canyon rim.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2016 03:36 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
 -
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2016 04:44 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
That would definitely be a sweet setup for rock chucks, or Prairie dogs. But definitely not a Coyote stand setup. At least where I call.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2016 06:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, the Nevada contingent has voted. I mean, I really don't need to try it. Yes, it would work, but <shrug> I see no vast need?

But, Dave has a slick deal for chucks. That's the application, as I see it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2016 11:30 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
following up here...
Forgot to mention in the 'chuckin' thread that several of them were shot sitting behind my Feisol/Sirui tripod. Even had my vid-cam attached to a tripod leg, but the slight recoil pulse pushed the impact out of frame...

Anyhoo, just got off the phone with a tech dude from RRS . They have a line of mounts & stuff catered toward the precision rifle crowd (Really Right Stuff SOAR).

Thinking that an Anschutz rail flush mounted under the stock forend would allow for a slick attachment point to a QD mount.
If it comes to pass, a 'direct-connect' QD rail mount would eliminate the need for a rifle clamp altogther! Rifle would clamp right into the ball head with the throw of a QD lever. Man, that'd save even more weight and be a real slick setup to work.

Just thinkin' out loud. But I'll make it work to try out, one way or the other! Having an Anschutz rail installed on a new A3 to do just that...

[ July 11, 2016, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2016 03:09 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, I actually thought that exact thought to myself while using my Triclawps. Thought "WTF do you need a clamp for" Just put an Arca Swiss right on the rifle and go".

Be most interested in your project.

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2016 03:33 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah man.
If we can enjoy the same convenience & stability with less weight & less tolerance stacking of attachments, I think that'd be swell...

If ya looked at that SOAR link, you'd see some of the available ArcaSwiss plates already in production. This one below is for an "M-LOK" rail:
 -

If your rifle had an M-LOK rail, it would sit pretty with that adapter plate:
 -

The conversation I had was an attempt to modify that M-LOK plate to work with an Anschutz rail. Reckon all that would require was a new set of backing nuts that mate up properly with the Anschutz sized rail. Here's a reference pic of an Anschutz rail under a McMillan forend:
 -

The gent I spoke with @ RRS seemed into the possibility! They are going to source an Anschutz rail from Champion Shooters and look into the viability of making some new backing nuts to work...

Will keep posted!

[ July 12, 2016, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2016 05:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have something like that but it's a short Picatinni that allows my Atlas bipod to attach to the forearm. Not as slick as that Anshutz rail and in the wrong location, balance wise, but it would work, I guess? Anyway, that's a slick set up Fred, if you must use a $1000 tripod.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2016 05:53 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, yup, I looked at the link, have always been interested in RRS stuff.

Anyhow... I think they should be interested in the Annie rail, it's a common system.

I know a guy, pretty well, but haven't talked to him for a couple years. I don't think he's doing anything directly with Anschutz anymore, but has at various times done consulting work and was the N. American rep for awhile. He could probably at least find out who the right person to talk to would be.

- DAA

--------------------

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2016 06:35 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I've got short rails on a few stocks for attaching a bipod, also. Altas makes those rails and they'll work with any 'varmint' type stock that has two sling studs up front. Or, you could install using T-nuts, like this (that's what I did):
 -

The Anschutz rail will allow for the same thing, with the use of an Atlas BT-28 rail. Just slide it up into the front end, rock & roll!
 -

Dave, happily, McMillan has 10" Anschutz rails in stock and will install e'm too. So, having one factory done on an A3 for new Defiance actioned rifle. If this whole deal works out, I can see retro-fitting Anschutz rails onto another stock, or three. We'll see how it all shakes out!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2016 01:50 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
To follow up...
Heard back from Mike @ RRS. he said they were going to produce an Anschutz/Arca Swiss interface. That will be very cool for a 'direct connect' tripod setup...

Also, here's a pic of my latest iteration of tripod/clamp:
 -

As you can see, I negated the ball head altogether, in favor of a 'leveling base'. That base offers +/- 15degrees of cant, as well as panning left/right swivel-a-bility...
Nice thing is, it's a weight savings over the ball head as well as a more solid interface between rifle/tripod. Less tolerance stacking and a lower center of gravity atop the legs. Also, this base only cost $50, quite a bit cheaper than a quality ball head!

Of course, will need to shoot with this in the field to note any tangible improvement. Prolly will have to pay more attention to getting tripod legs closer to level from the git-go, but 15 degrees of cant should still be plenty absorb any dips in the terrain when moving the legs...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2016 05:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This Fred is quite the gearhead!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2016 06:17 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting modification Fred!

I have a leveling base for my big tripod, the one in the pictures above. I've never used it, not sure how much range it has. It's actually a leveling center column?

But 15* wouldn't be enough for my typical coyote stand. Well, it would be, most of the time actually. But when big sideways moves are needed, it usually wouldn't be. I'm usually on a sidehill. It's why a tripod is just too awkward and cumbersome for my taste on a coyote stand, in general.

If it works for you though, mo power!

- DAA

--------------------

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2016 04:13 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I suspect your leveling column is +/- 12-15°. Seems like standard max. adjustment is between 12-15 degrees for most I've looked into. Is yours the Feisol brand that drops into the tripod base???

I hear ya about setting up on side hills. There have been a few times on a steep hill where I'd just keep one tripod leg short (nearest me) and use the other two as traditional stix. Mostly though, I've been able to find a little bench or flat spot in the side hill to nestle into. That's where the ball head can do the work for staying level. Whereas, the limited travel of the leveling base might indeed be insufficient...

On semi flat/rolling ground, the tripod is the schizz! And the leveling base is definitely lower, more sturdy & surely seems easier to keep control of...

Hope to get out shooting this weekend to mess with it!

EDIT: here's the linky to the leveling base

[ August 29, 2016, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2016 05:06 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, yup, it's a center column that drops in. Sure you are right about the adjustment range, too. Would not serve your purpose as well as the base you are using - not as much weight or height saving.

It's for my big tripod anyway, which isn't the one I'd use on a coyote stand. I'd use the small one with the little Markins head on it.

Actually did take that one with me this weekend. Thought I might try carrying a shotgun and a rifle at the same time. But it was too hot for any extra work [Big Grin] . Simply carried one or the other. Which, change of subject here, but using a shotgun is basically a brand new concept for me. I've just never done it. Managed to kill a few with it this weekend. Can't say I'm a big fan, much prefer the rifle, but it definitely opens up stand possibilities and provides a "bail out" option on the kamikazes. Kicks like a fucking mule though. And expensive as ten sons a bitches to shoot. And probably just me and my lousy shotgunning skills, but had to shoot every one of them twice. That just goes against my grain, sloppy multi shot kills just suck.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2016 05:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There are kernels of wisdom in the above post. Just think about shooting every coyote @ $5 a pop and having to kill him twice! But, that's something I learned 25 years ago, always keep an eye on dead coyotes because most of them don't know it.

Les Johnson is the guy that seems to have much success with a rifle and shotgun on stand. Myself, I hardly bother, unless it's a hunt contest and then you are covering your bet. Still, if you pick your stand very carefully, having a choice can work.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2016 04:38 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Shot over the weekend with the new leveling base.Pretty sure I prefer it to a ball head! There's just no chance of the rifle 'tipping' over, due to the limited travel of the leveling base. Rock friggin' solid to shoot from...

Waited on some 'chucks one evening, but nothing popped up. Still, was a pleasure to sit back and let the tripod/cradle hold the gun in position:

-

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2016 04:07 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Got up to the farm over the weekend to do some bowhunting. And of course, make a stand or two...

Wound up knockin' the dust off my night tripod setup on the first stand, felt good to knock one outta the park in the first pitch!
 -

Quit while I was ahead and went back to bowhunting. Might have some friends coming in to do some calling, so gonna leave a bunch of good spots alone for the time being. Least I'm telling myself I will... [Wink]

Seen the buck I want to shoot, yesterday morning, but couldn't get an arrow to him. We'll get it figgered out here, soon enough!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2016 04:26 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet!

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2016 06:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
....and just like Wimbledon, on grass?

For/in our deserts, you just don't see manicured lawns where the coyotes have tender paws.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2016 06:24 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, killed that one only a few hundred yards behind the house! Always make my first stand of the season close by, in case there are any dummies hangin' around.

That one was a dummy!

The pic is from the back lawn, after I dragged my shit back. Killed the coyote right in a strip of alfalfa between two corn field that were recently cut to stubble...
 -

You can see how lush the field are, in the daytime pic a couple posts up. With the fall foliage this time of year, its so pretty up there!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters