The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » COULD IT HAPPEN HERE? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: COULD IT HAPPEN HERE?
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 03:55 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay here is a pic of our summer uniforms. These guys look like they are ready to gun down innocent American citizens, don't they?

-

Here is another pic I think I have shown here before.

-

That's not me in the pic. I am older and less personable.

[ March 26, 2011, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 04:00 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Now these guys really know how to dress:

-

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 04:00 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
In all seriousness, where's your "stinkin' batches"? When my EMS department was placed under new management, we changed to a white uni shirt with no badges, BDU style pants with the gear pockets for our "stuff", specifically to distinguish us fro LEO's in french blue shirts and navy trousers which is what we wore up to that point. Didn't want some crackhead with an "I hate cops" rage on coming after us thinking we were the Po-po. (Sidebar: my spell check is okay with the first "Po", but dinged me on the second one. Go figger!)

Also, LS shirts in summer uni's? Your Chief was cruel.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 04:07 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Cdog our stinking badges are worn on our hats.

Yes, the long sleeves are a tradition. I don't think we will ever see a change, or at least not in my life time. It is hot and humid here in summer, and wearing the wool shirt can be miserable. The common joke here is, "Hey 49, did you change the oil in that shirt yet?" Lol.

George Ackley
Knows what it's all about
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 04:14 AM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
if i was asked , NJ state police are the best dress cops in the country !
very professional .
with Philadelphia officers coming in a close 2.

-

[ March 26, 2011, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: George Ackley ]

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 04:27 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
That Philly cop knows how to wear his hat...brim low.
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 05:48 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Since we are having fun with pics, here is Gene from our TAC team:

-

Coming to a crack house near you:

-

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 08:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't care what you say, that chick on the end is smoking hot!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: the guy with the cat, so familiar, I thought he was a member, for a minute?

edit: 49, the above pics sorta prove the point of a few of the previous posters, trending military all the way.

[ March 26, 2011, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31468 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 08:39 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Those guys are missing out by not having elbow pads. They're 1/2 dressed.
Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 09:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In California; they are called "Shields", Lance. Not by the citizens, by the officers themselves.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 09:29 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
49, the above pics sorta prove the point of a few of the previous posters, trending military all the way.

I kinda realized that Leonard, and posted these pics for fun. I figured some of the guys might get riled up when they saw them. [Big Grin] The fact is, there is a need for such trained and equipped personnel. This team is responsive only, and was called out on the day the pics were taken in response to a drive by shooting in Dover, NJ. The every day officers don't wear all that garb, but there is a valid need for it, in certain instances.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 10:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Disagree. I don't think anybody is riled. Just casual observation of the trend toward bunker mentality among the L.E. brethren. I and the rest would be the first to admit that they serve a purpose. But, I do know they isolate themselves from ordinary citizens.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DEL GUE
SECOND PLACE: Mad Bomber lookalike contest
Member # 1526

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 11:49 AM      Profile for DEL GUE   Email DEL GUE         Edit/Delete Post 
WTF, did you guys all go off your meds at the same time??? [Razz]

--------------------
"I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart." - Bear Claw

Posts: 588 | From: FL | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 12:02 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Meds?? What? Where do I sign up for those?

quote:
Don't care what you say, that chick on the end is smoking hot!

I just can't get past those boots LB, kinda looks like t-bags sister with those things on.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 12:47 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
World War I Calvary.....lol

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1616 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 12:48 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's as bad as some think Leonard, as far as the bunker mentality. Last night at the party I was at, there were all non-LEO's, until my buddy showed up who thought he was under dressed. The fact is true, that LE types often hang together. But I have noticed over the years that is important to have some good friends who are not on the job also. It creates a balance, at least for me. Maybe Del could attest to this as well.

In posting the TAC team pics I am just being honest and straight forward with you guys in that yes, we do have Teams and there is a valid purpose for them. But the TAC teams are a small, very small segment of LE society. They are very closed mouth, and what goes on on the team stays on the team if you know what I mean. Though I am personally glad to have them.

I don't believe there is any sense in arguing with you guys over this "bunker mentality." Minds are already made up and I don't think it is my purpose to change them. I would just hope that when these topics come up here I can shed a little light on the subject...like maybe bridge the gap, even if it's just a tiny bit.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 01:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know, 49. You catch a lot of flack when we go off our meds. Sorry about that.

But, as far as the subject, isolation, bunker, paranoia and all that you think of when talking about the pressures faced by law enforcement. There is some, and it's not for everybody.

But, the question still is, would some branch of law enforcement or military actually shoot at Michelle Bachman, in a peaceful assembly. What would it take? As far as I can see, Chris Mathews and that other dink Keith Oberman would be speed-dialing 911.......screaming, "do something before they get subversive!" Would cooler heads prevail? What if some firebrand objected to dispersing? What kind of spark would it take before they mowed them all down? just sayin'

Good hunting. LB

edit: 49, that pic you posted with the smokin' hot chick on the end? Do you have a date on that photograph?

[ March 26, 2011, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 01:38 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm friends with the guy who runs the K9 unit for PPD, and like you 49, he's a different cat. I think it goes with the territory and what LEOs are exposed to on a daily basis that ordinary citizens aren't, and understandably so. I also think there's a bunch of cops out there these days that became one because they got their lunch money stolen a time or two, and have an "I'll show you" attitude. Like any group, there's good, and bad. You just have to seperate the wheat from the chaffe. They're union, and once they're in, it's hard to get rid of them regardless of what kind of cops they REALLY are.

What they wear these days does send a message to the public, I think. But, I also think it's evolution and technology at work. If I'm gonna be chasing a crackhead through the 'hood and my life, and the lives of others, depends on how well I do it, I want the best equipment out there. Pretty sure I'd opt for military style stuff over long sleeved wool shirts too. Kinda like Vic's Wranglers and western shirt compared to my ghillie (over Wranglers), you don't need it all the time, but better to have it and not need it than vice versa.

edit to add:

It it was a standoff and niether side was showing any sign of caving, I guess it would all be about percieved threat and danger. Which side pushes too far first? Whether it's a whacko in the "subversive" group, or the kid who's lunch money got stolen in the other one.

[ March 26, 2011, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: jimanaz ]

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 02:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What if Keith Oberman, cold and calculated, fired a shot during the tense stand off? I really believe that type of liberal would consider it justified, just a matter of time before a Tea Partier threw some lead in the direction of authority; might as well get the ball rolling, eh? Meanwhile, Chris Mathews would get a severe tingle up his leg as events progressed.

Yes, I think it is more likely that somebody could get hurt at a Tea Party rally than at some arm in arm march lead by Jesse Jackson.

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 05:41 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard the closest I can date that pic is December of 2008. That is when it was downloaded to the Rhode Island State Police article on Wikipedia. Late fall would make sense because the guy in the summer uniform looks like he is freezing. The pic of the guy with the cat I posted here before. I am pretty certain he is not a predator hunter, so I doubt he would be a member here or elsewhere.

Jim I know what you mean about the guy who got abused in high school and becomes a cop, and takes his frustration out on the public. Those types are the bad apples we speak of. I have seen them come and go. You are correct, once they get tenured they are tough to get rid of unless they really screw up. I have seen some get fired before tenure, thankfully.

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 06:13 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hold it!!! Snookie!? How'd I get Snookie!?

It will happen. Just a matter of when.

IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 06:55 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
"In California; they are called "Shields", Lance. Not by the citizens, by the officers themselves."

It isn't just in Cally, LB. Hell, I have three of them in my dresser drawer from back in "the day" One when I was DK856 (Sheriff's Department), one from when I was Medic 112, and another for FD when I was a Captain but it doesn't have my number on it.

That pic is, in fact, the entire RI Highway Patrol. They don't dress nuthin' like Me, Myself, and Irene or whatever that movie was. LOL

As far as the LEO mentality, I'll take a stab at where it comes from. When I got into that, I was a straight edged kid with no tolerance for stepping off the line. I was goal oriented and raised in a family where we volunteered for everything in our community, be that fire department, storm spotting, scout masters, booster club. We were joiners and we chose to associate ourselves with people like us.

Whether you're in law enforcement, fire service or emergency medicine, your job becomes your life style. Your work schedule rarely allows you free time when the rest of the "normal" world is off because your weekends come every other day or in the middle of the week. You're at the station or on duty as much as you're not and when you're a LEO, you don't enjoy the luxury of going to the local well and downing a half-dozen beers with your buddies three nights a week (at least, if you're a cop with character) because it's damned hard to drink with a guy on Friday and charge him with DUI on Saturday.

Most guys in these lines of work are dick hard, get 'er done types who see a situation and their training is to take command and find solutions. For many, being an incident commander is something that is hard to leave when off the clock and people outside the lifestyle have hard time understanding that.

For me, my friends were all partiers and drinkers. I wore a badge. I lived the part all the time, not just when on the clock.

I found myself entering into the private lives of people where I saw things often best left unseen. I dealt with them because it was my job but I can tell you, having been out of the business for a dozen years now, I have memories that I would just as soon not have. Even today, there are people who will ask me about "the worst thing I ever saw" and frankly, I don't want to talk about it because, 1) it's none of their business, and 2) I really don't want to take that walk down memory lane, if you know what I mean. Cops, firefighters and medics get jazzed about many of the same things and people on the "outside" don't understand that, nor do they understand that we talk to one another because we're the only ones who really understand what we experience(d). As a group, responders tend to form a protective herd.

Always makes me recall the cynically humorous remark, "In God we trust. All others, we run through NCIC." There's some truth to that.

The night I got married, our pastor walked up to my brother who was, at that time, the head of one of the largest drug task forces in the central states. He's a bit bigger than me at 6'3" and about 285#, and Pastor says, "I don't think I've seen you in church". Bro smiles and replies, "Well, pastor, when you see what I see Monday through Saturday night, it kinda makes you wonder if Sunday's actually making any difference."

As far as the tactical gear, the clothes are a tool. I like the ACU's I have for hunting because I have pockets for "stuff". I'm not acting like a Johnnie Rambo when hunting. I just have this thing about being orderly with my gear and ACU's (new style BDU's) are rugged, comfortable, and work really well to carry my "stuff" when hunting. The problem is how some of the guys wear the stuff. I was at a fur auction last year and there were four different game wardens there in BDU pants, shoulder holsters and black T-shirts with "KDWP" in five inch block letters across the back. Looked like they were just itching for someone to step outta line and it really created an "us v. them" atmosphere. They'd have been better off wearing their normal unis and working the crowd rather than huddling together like a bunch of antisocial wallflowers.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 07:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have said many times, as far as attitude coming from Fish & Game, which is what we call them, out here. It's way different than what it used to be, they were fellow hunters and could be relied on to give you accurate advice, we spoke the same language.

Now, I see the bunker mentality everywhere. Some of the people aren't sportsmen, at all, they are either bunny huggers or hard core enforcement types.

Did I mention an event that happened to me just a couple months ago in northern AZ? I was making my way toward the blacktop and another pickup was coming my way. He sorta pulled over and I intended to roll right by him, but he stopped me.

He got out and I could see he was a warden and without a howdy do, he asked me for a hunting license. I told him that I wasn't hunting and he disputed it, said he had been watching me.

I told him that if he was watching me, then he knew that I never walked two feet away from the back of my truck. He got a little vague and asked again for my license and I again told him that I wasn't hunting.

He got huffy and told me to turn off my engine and step out of the truck. Then, he told me to put my hands behind my back, at which point, I objected in no uncertain terms while he was holding my hands together. He said to take it easy, he was just checking me for weapons, and I told him that I had a pocket knife in my left front pocket.

Then he asked me for ID (I think) and I went in my box for my wallet and showed him my AZ hunting license and my CA driver's license. I am very sure that he was surprised that I had a hunting license because I didn't offer it before, just disputing the fact that I was hunting so I did not see where he should be asking me for a license just because I was driving a dirt road.

The problem was that I had immediate problems with my CS24 and had spent at least twenty minutes at the back and walking around to the cab while I placed a call to Foxpro. So, whatever he assumed he had seen, it was wrong and I felt that I was well within my rights to respond as I did because, although I had every intention of walking away from the vehicle and making a stand, I never did and when Foxpro told me they were going to call me back in 15/20 minutes, I drove back to the pavement, which is where I was confronted by Mr Dickhead.

I mean, I was really pissed, as I have never in my life worn a pair of handcuffs, much less been arrested and I was thinking this asshole was going to break my record.....for doing nothing!

After things cooled down, we bullshitted a little bit and he asked me why I didn't want to show my license? I said it was because I wasn't hunting and I did not (under the circumstances) feel that he had the right to demand to see my license.

I still don't see where he had the authority to order me to shut down and get out of the truck. He had asked me if I had a gun in the vehicle, before he told me to get out and I said, "several".

But, I think the game has changed, and attribute a lot of it to Hmong's and other asians that poach bears and other stuff. But, it has definitely become an adversarial situation and I won't go out of my way to wave or anything with these guys. They are suspicious and until I prove to be innocent, I'm potentially guilty of something, yet to be determined.

Yeah, I'm still a little peeved, minding my own business and could have easily been eating dirt!

I'm sure some of you can see his side of it, but I can't. He assumed too much and in the interest of accuracy, I was not engaged as he assumed. I was just checking out my gear, which, to me, does not constitute "hunting". I don't know? Maybe by now, these guys have the authority to demand a hunting license even if I was sitting in a chaise lounge, reading a book?

GH/LB

[ March 26, 2011, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 08:54 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I know TV sensationalises everything but the new Game Warden show has some cocky officers from CA, course they know when the camera is on...

I had an incident several years ago where I was leaving the truck with a bow in my hand on a public hunting area along with 4 other guys doing the same thing. A warden drove by and waved at us, we waved back and went on our merry way for the evening hunt.

When I walked out of the woods that evening, 2 officers were writing tickets to the rest of the guys and I got one too. For not wearing orange during muzzleloading season. There was no firearm hunting at all on this place and we didn't think about it.

Me being me, I fought the ticket, went all the way to the Chief Warden and he said it was for our safety. I said if it was for our safety, why didn't he write us tickets when he waved at us while walking into the woods with bows in hand. He said we weren't hunting then and the officer had no obligation to warn us and couldn't ticket us then. I of course then asked, what was the difference when we were walking out?

I paid the ticket and haven't been drawn for any special hunts since. Still makes me mad that they can make the rules up as they go and to contest anything marks you for life. Dang possom cops!

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 09:23 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with you Leonard.Most of the Game and Fish guys I've come in contact with regardless of the area i'm hunting in have been Heavy handed.Most have been real Assholes..Definitely you're guilty until you can prove you're Innocent.

Tom64,

Yeah that kinda shit happens here all the time.I've seen it happen in Nevada too.Ticket a guy for something bogus knowing damn well they are 400 miles from home and most will mail in the fine rather than drive all the way back out to fight it.Even if they know they are innocent.

Good Hunting Chad

[ March 26, 2011, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1616 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters