The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Test (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Test
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2024 08:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...I think my mamma might have given me the same advice and the real persuader was that I might go blind!

Good info Tim. And great spacing!

Good hunting. El bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2024 10:37 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sounds like your friends had very comparable seasons. Each using different methods.
They have a lot of coyotes to call to as well. The guy in N-E only calls on weekends and holidays due to work. Guy to N-W calls I think every other week for the whole week. Both also use suppressors. Also friend in N-W of state he calls N.D a lot and also requires different tactics. And for some reason N.D. coyotes don't like coyote howls. Maybe cause of so much calling pressure there, then again don't know.

N-W friend uses 3 caller brands but relies mostly on just two of them. He has a buddy with recording equipment so he can pirate most sounds and then put them on F-P or L.d.. N-E friend was a F-P fan but now is all L.D. I believe due to L.D. having more good coyote vocals.

The latest craze is F-P x25 with MFK sounds and the Lucky duck with Ricks recorded sounds. And then throw in the AR's and mega mag. dumping it will be interesting in next year or so to see how the coyotes change due to that.
Might see a increase in fresh coyotes every year due to now being call shy or more difficult to call so in return they leave more breeding pairs behind. Or get them so fucked up you can't do anything with them. Have to wait and see, I guess.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2024 07:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not get too carried away with the wipe 'em out concept! Coyotes are the ultimate survivors, so go ahead, give it scorched earth for as many years as you can handle, and you still lose! Coyotes can easily survive on a diet of Mesquite beans, indefinitely, or until they dry out and split open, or not. What pisses off the farmers is taking one bite out of ten watermelons. Not much different that birds pecking at peaches, etc. Also, when they are gorged on grasshoppers, they are virtually uncallable!

I've seen very healthy coyotes in bone dry flat earth desert country. Maybe just passing through, but how can you tell?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: around here there are still a few vineyards, and coyotes love wine grapes!

[ March 30, 2024, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2024 07:31 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
This whole thread has my head hurting by now.....must be brain lock ehhh?
I have a neighbor, who between his full time job, working on vehicles and taking care of his dogs, is a predator control guy. He traps several months a year for a local dairy, does private control work for several ranchers and occasional work for Govt protecting the local antelope herds.
I would imagine he has missed more coyotes than Tim has shot in his lifetime. I can talk to this guy for a couple hours about coyote hunting, rifles and things that happen on stand, interesting things seen while hunting,and never once for a minute, feel like Im being schooled.
Tim, my only advice would be, don't take yourself more serious than your subject, it's just coyote hunting, you'll never get them all, and why would you want to, enjoy the hunt.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2024 08:37 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
“Tim, my only advice would be, don't take yourself more serious than your subject, it's just coyote hunting, you'll never get them all, and why would you want to, enjoy the hunt.”

Vic, that’s some of the best advice I’ve heard on the subject. I know I will take that to heart…..

And yes Leonard I’ve seen those Coyote plum full of Mormon Crickets.

Good Hunting Chad

[ March 30, 2024, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2024 10:47 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah i think you take it too serious as well, just chit chat.

I don't want to kill them all or even think about trying. I enjoy being outdoors and hunting coyotes, calling or running with dogs and always leave some for seed. But I also enjoy the challenge of going after the tough ones that's the icing on the cake and pretty much what I live for.
Just sitting there and blowing on a call and shooting what just so happens to show up just seems kind of boring these days.

Speaking of numbers, Big Al shoots quit a few these days but don't mean shit he still dumber than box of grasshoppers when comes to coyotes.

Just like you get up every morning and hope a stranger is in the house so you can have a little gun play, just thought keeps you going. [Razz] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ March 30, 2024, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2024 06:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, OK. I'm partly responsible for some of this bickering.

First of all, I let Tim back in here, and after a number of pissed off dudes strongly suggested I do it. I really didn't want to do it, but to smooth ruffled feathers, I did.

Now, he's back and he will have to learn to play nice, as we all will....have to play nice, and it ain't that fucking hard to do!

I think that what rankles is that he acts like he possesses vast knowledge and hardly anybody likes to be talked down to.

So, remember, even Minnesotans have something to say. He even made an attempt to moderate by telling us that he has been out here and you guys ain't been to Icebox Minnesota, and why would ya. I have to admit, I was born there and left there at age 12 and I've never been back and don't miss it.

Minnesota has decent fishing, although we always had to drive north for the better fishing. I loved catching, spearfishing carp and suckers, mostly on the Mississippi around Minneapolis. It was a rare event to catch a bass but small panfish were available and we had Northerns in the southern part of the state.

He talks about Prairie, I guess he's somewhere closer to Iowa and we used to hunt pheasants in cornfields down there. I do not recall it as classical coyote habitat, by any means, but as we know, they adapt.

Anybody else remember a skit that Johnny Carson used to do? He would have on a hat with earflaps, a heavy plaid coat, and used a slight Norwegian accent. That there is your card carrying Minnesotan farmer he was mimicking. I always remembered snow tires and mud flaps. My dad put up storm windows every year; what a pain in the ass! In those days, you brought your battery in the house overnight so it didn't freeze. Now a days, they have a few solutions. Maybe it was Swedish accent, come to think of it? Anyway, Tim shows up with his high top boots and it stands out. Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox ain't far away, in fact, one town up north had a giant statue, I recall. Minnesota is unique, it's different than Wisconsin and Michigan, way different than Ohio. I guess it's actually another world, more or less? Why they are Liberal Democrats, I'll never know? Shit, why is ANYBODY?

Let's all get along. We all hunt coyotes, right? The idea of sitting on a stand for two hours in Minnesota, in the winter is more than I care to handle. Takes dedication, you can't deny it. I know cold, damned right. But I know better than to spend two hours on stand. In fact, there were lots of times when we had a contest when I would make seven minute stands....and do quite well.

Peace, brothers!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2024 10:51 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Not talking down to anyone, if it appears that way well that's way it is then.

You talk of Mn. and have not been back since time you left its not even close to being like when you lived here. Northern Mn. maybe but they still changing just at slower pase. Some refer to them as Hillbillies just like Mo.
Yes, I'm on the prairie but mostly farm ground but due to operating costs and price of land some of the prairie is coming back and put in CRP programs.
The area I live in has more CRP land than anywhere else in the state some private and some public.
I know less than a handful that wear the hat with ear flaps, and so-called mud flaps are actually rock guards to help save on the paint.

Most farmers here are millionaires and buy new equipment every year along with new pickup trucks and some even own houses in AZ. or have a lake home up north.
We have more paved roads than AZ. and gravel roads as well another reason for rock guards.
Some of our gun shows are held in high schools over week end, can anyone else say the same. Suppressors are legal, thermal is legal, e-callers are legal, only restriction on guns is during deer season we have a rifle zone which is up north and slug season in southern half of state.
As for coyotes shoot any caliber you like, some states only allow 22 l.r. or 22 mag.
Coyotes can be shot from the road or even across a road. What's not to like.
The fucked-up Dem.live in the big city so stay out of there and you have no issues.

Go out and find a seasonal job and take the winters off and just hunt and fish with pay. That money comes from the employer and not the taxpayer. what's not to like?

I only have locked my house doors twice in my life and only lock the truck doors when I go to one of the bigger towns, don't have to carry a pistol everywhere I go and worry about if I get to use it when I come home from being away more than five days. LOL

Not here to teach but just suggest and give my .2 worth take it or leave it.

From what I gathered as far as calling coyotes you only need rabbit distress sounds and just one or two vocals. And don't need to be studio grade sounds and most any E-caller will work. Ok!

So why so many switching back and forth between caller brands?
Why the need to have so many sounds on your E-caller? 4 should be plenty.
Why even have a volume control on caller or bigger speaker?
Why the need to pirate sounds from other companies?
Why the need for a rifle if you can call them in close?
Hands calls seem to have plenty of volume some say so why even go to a E-caller?

Coyotes' vocals don't work in some areas so why even have them?

Take Les Johnson for example he was a hand caller type of guy. Now he uses E-callers and coyote vocals. Why is that?

Leonard if you don't want me around then just flip the switch, its your board.
You could also thank me for bringing AR Shaw out of the closet, I think he loves talking about coyotes as much as I do.

Have a good Easter!

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2024 10:56 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
That was the whole point of my Dave Dudley reference; If it works for you, do it and mayhap suggest that it may or may not work for me.
For my ownself I can sit for two or three hours ..... on a deer stand. Coyotes, I can make about six stands in two hours depending on how much time I spend looking for lost arrows. [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2024 11:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get sensitive on me, Tim. If I ever had a problem, you'd know it! I'm on your side, Amigo. I've hunted with Shaw, he's a good hunter. I have no problem but I didn't know that you had to coax him back?

My little speech was directed at the Peanut Gallery, anyway. Some need to understand that TA is an acquired taste, and yes, he does generate ink! This is good, makes me not feel like I'm paying for a graveyard! I think we all know that if everybody agrees on every fucking thing, there would be no reason to fire up your laptop just to say:

Yes, you are right, Leonard. You make total sense on everything and, BTW you're good looking too!

Happy Easter!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2024 12:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For my ownself I can sit for two or three hours ..... on a deer stand. Coyotes, I can make about six stands in two hours depending on how much time I spend looking for lost arrows. [Smile]

You sit 2-3 hrs on a deer stand cause the deer is the trophy you after. Same here but a difficult coyote is my prize. You sat down to play the game why not finish it like you would if it was a deer.
Ok you can drive down the road and make more stands in that amount of time. What if those stands all turn out to be blank, then what you gain? Just saying..... [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2024 03:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember, everybody's set in their ways. And, truthfully, you don't know a hell of a lot about how I hunt coyotes except my conversation and there's a lot of blank spaces regarding behavior. I don't hunt a lot different from 60 years ago. Except I might use electronics and a few sounds that didn't exist back then, but, done right, and I bet Victor Carlson hunts with the same calls he has always used. Is unique sounds the key to success? How has your routine developed? I'm asking everybody. Is your technique unrecognizable compared to when you first started?

Another thing. Not picking on Tim, but I will venture an opinion that he has gained far more advantage because much information has been in the public domain since you started and it wasn't at ZERO, like some of us. For what it's worth, nobody had recorded anything on anything when I started. There were no machines of any kind and nobody had so far recorded a distress sound.

In fact, in my club, even after they did appear, using a machine would get you disqualified.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2024 04:17 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Your right on that Leonard, still use the same four sounds Ive used for many, many years. The sound is the least important part of the equation in my hunting stands. You remember the old original JS 101, the jackrabbit, that sonofabitch still calls a mess of coyotes every winter.
I suppose my method has evolved over time, like everyone's I would guess. 54 years ago, I had a plastic Circe rabbit call, 8mm Mauser rifle my Dad expatriated from WW2, and sat my ass in the dirt somewhere in the desert blowing till I was out of gas. Killed my first one a short 1/4 mile west of my house, sitting up in an old broke down, wood sided cotton trailer.
Never forget how amazed I was to see that coyote bouncing in to my stand. Last half dozen years, Ive began to call longer than I once did, surpassing that magical 1-7 minute time frame on a 15 minute stand. I make 30 minute stands now, not that I see a dramatic difference, but have that odd coyote that comes in late just often enough that I figure what the hell, seems normal now.
Im not going to ramble about technique, like assholes, everyone has one, you play your game, I'll play mine.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2024 05:44 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I make 30 minute stands now, not that I see a dramatic difference, but have that odd coyote that comes in late just often enough that I figure what the hell, seems normal now.
I'll buy that. Thanks [Smile]

quote:
How has your routine developed? I'm asking everybody. Is your technique unrecognizable compared to when you first started?
By long shot.

quote:
but I will venture an opinion that he has gained far more advantage because much information has been in the public domain since you started and it wasn't at ZERO, like some of us
WE never had calling contests here let alone anyone doing much calling. You read a few books and that's it. You just get off your ass and go out and learn. Trial and error and learn from mistakes. As for the boards a lot of mixed-up info some good some just hog wash aay.
Some you have to just sift through it or just go find out yourself what will work and thats what I always did, do the leg work and find out as to why and why not and like said a red fox or coyote is your best teacher if you don't shoot them right away.

Higgins always had some good points but then found out most or only part of it applied as to here.
JRB liked to use the kitchen sink approach when calling and I looked down on that but also found out on my own he was on the right page, there is no limit to how many sounds you can use on one stand.
Randy Roede would say you just confusing them. Yes, in a way you are confusing them but at same time you also getting their brain unlocked and onto something else. Coyotes can't racialize or think like humans and cannot multitask.

Now days my stands start out like this: Lone howl or invite or just a group rally howl. Then prey distress, Vole mouse, rabbit, bird or deer. I wait for them to come into view and go from there and see what they like or don't like.
They stop coming and start to look in my direction then I give them something else, pups killing a deer or maybe beta terr. howl or what have you. If they appear to be older and bigger coyotes I will get aggressive with them but work my way up in aggression and then maybe throw some vole mouse back at them.
I can't say I use the same sounds on every stand here, can be different from one coyote to the next.
Years back when I called in my first day time coyote it took more than a handfull of sounds and was the same the next year with her and is the same today.
S.D. was a whole new ballgame just needed vole mouse, rabbit and a few howls and that's all it took for most. Once in a while if I called in a double but only got one, I came back next day and played some Bill Austin lost mate vocals and finished the game. (cassette tapes)
Mex. Ok.,AZ, utah, Wyoming, Neb. and Iowa mostly rabbit.
Go elsewhere call a shit load then come back home thinking I can do same here and then get a nice reminder after few days nope it just don't fly here. [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2024 10:57 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t know when you called in Utah last Tim. But it’s been a while I bet, not very many Coyotes are called in here with standard rabbit sounds anymore. In fact I don’t remember the last time I used them here. I use Coyote Vocals and Coyote distress sounds almost exclusively. Might use voles or bird sounds occasionally. That’s both e caller and hand calls.

Now Nevada is different I use a lot more prey distress sounds. My calling out there is more like it used to be 30 years ago. But I have always used howling when calling.

I remember being fascinated in the late 80’s by Bill Austin and Ed Sceery and how they incorporated howling on each stand. Still have and use my old Sceery howler from way back all the time. It’s well worn and has a crack or two in it but still calls coyotes.

I’m still one that believes less is better as far as calling goes especially with howls. Peak there curiosity but don’t over call. Has worked well for me for over 35 years. Especially for the tough to call coyotes. And yes I will stay 30 minutes on a stand for some of those.

I do use and like the ecallers. Especially my LD roughneck with a lot of Ricks Premium sounds. But I also love my 30 year old Sceery Ap7 in desert camo.

I will say I’m not as serious as I once was about trying to kill every coyote out there. I really enjoy just being out doing it these days. Oh don’t get me wrong I still get that adrenaline rush like I did when I first started calling every time a coyote comes loping in, that will never change and when it does I guess it will be time to hang it up.

Good Hunting Chad

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2024 01:09 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
And Tim I noticed you like to slight guys like Les Johnson and Al Morris. Those guys have been killing a lot of Coyotes for a very long time. They have won a lot of the really big Contests multiple times and that’s no small feat. I know because I’ve hunted them before and those guys know how to get it done.

I know Leonard’s been there done that but not many have.

And a lot of times they win hunting public land. Until you can call and kill 20 coyotes in a day and a half of day calling you can’t talk crap.

Especially Les…He won the Midwest(Kansas), The Nationals(Wyoming) and the World(Nevada) all in the same year. Pretty amazing accomplishment……

Good Hunting Chad

[ April 01, 2024, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2024 07:24 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad I was in Utah back in the 80's, two trips. Called along the flaming gorge west of green river and south, Utah and Wyoming both sides and stopped in Salt Lake for dinner.
I used Dennis kirk caller back then with sounds from Ed S. and Bill A.. Ed had a nice female invite howl and awesome rabbit distress.
I have one of Ed's howlers as well and the bite reed call Like you mentioned and also the mini bite reed call, I think it was made for calling elk but makes nice mouse screams.
Rock springs was a nice area to call and alot of good places all the way up to Half-moon lake turn off, just south of Yellowstone.

As far as I know Ed was only one that admitted to standing up and calling 360 at the time, never heard or read about anyone else doing such and that's one of the things I guess I took from him.
Have to have the right areas for it that are more open.
Don't have many coyotes here compared to other places and I do know where most are so I know how many I can take and not take. always leave a few for the dogs to chase.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2024 07:48 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, Les spends his summers in a combine traveling all over Neb. Kansas, Colorado, Tex, and Oklahoma and see's what most never see due to the vast countryside and the cost to actually see it all, so yeah, he has the upper hand when it comes to finding coyotes and structure and also knows most of the landowners.

Big Al just reaches into his pocket and pays to unlock a few gates. Then if you listen to him on one of those pod casts and some of the crap, he says you have to ask yourself why this guy is even out calling. LOL Not sure of what word to use here, elusion or deception.
Has fat Al ever called Mo. or Iowa????
Has Al or les ever call in N.D. coyote classic???

Randy Roede and Bucks/Bears both did classic and neither one lives there. Randy won using my E-caller. LOL Bucks won one year as well.
Both also went up against a kid that lived there and kills over 200 coyotes a year.
Think the kid has won it a few times but when they hold one of the contests on East side of the state, he struggles pretty bad and lucky if he makes top ten.
I don't know, I guess everyone has to have a hero to look up to these days.

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2024 07:55 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
No heroes. Just stating facts. Which I’d love to know where you get yours. You seem to know an awful lot about them. I noticed you said Randy used your caller. Why didn’t you use it and win it yourself. You seem to think you are better that Les and Al. Sorry Tim I think you’re all hat no cowboy when it comes to calling. Lol
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2024 08:04 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really into contests but did do one with Randy S. one year. Had over 30 coyotes located, and Randy S. would have kicked everyone's ass if we didn't have 40 mph wind where we hunted. Had a good area with numbers and easy access.
Second year had an invite to do another contest, some guy needed a partner, and I was out in area, so they called me. We called on a different Indian res. and this guy was Trible warden, so we called on his res. He didn't have shit for coyotes but did see enough we could of had a chance if the guy would have left his bino's in the truck and stop taking 500 yard shots. LOL Think we got 4-5 and winners got 7-8 that day.
So anyway, contests are not that much fun to me plus you have to have a area that holds good numbers as well as that's the key to winning. [Smile]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2024 08:12 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Like said contests don't interest me plus it takes a lot of money just ask Buck's/bears. I think he said. he would never do it again. As for some title they can have it. LOL

I met Les 2-3 times so yeah, I know a little about him. Go to his house once all you see is his trophies sitting on dining room table. Nice guy though. [Smile]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2024 08:26 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoulda, coulda, woulda!!!!!!😂

That’s why I said what I did. We went into the Worlds one year and I really thought we had a shot. Good numbers of coyotes and good conditions. Until it dumped 2 feet of snow overnight and the access was very limited. For those guys to win consistently year after year under any and all conditions is pretty amazing. I know Les won the world contest hunting public land and killed 20 coyotes. Not to shabby

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2024 09:05 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Thing is though if you have enough area or places, you can go if weather turns to crap helps a lot. When called with Shaw we had all the wind north of the river, the other guys called south of the river and west and got out of most of the wind. Plus a few of the guys also ranched and saved their ground for just contests. Geordie hunted with one of the ranchers, but his land butted up against the river, so they had to deal with the wind as well.

After contest a snowstorm blew in so Randy and Geordie went back home. I sat in hotel for two days I believe as Roede mentioned I should wait out the storm and then hit them hard after.
Storm passed and I went to my area and called same places I located days before. I killed enough coyotes by myself to win the stupid contest 4x over. LOL Was more fun doing it without worrying about dam contest.

--------------------

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2024 10:54 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Here ya go Leonard...
Yes, you are right, Leonard. You make total sense on everything and, BTW you're good looking too!
I can't believe I just did that.
In Nevada when I lived there I did 10-15 min stands for coyotes and 25-30 for bobcats if they didn't show right up. The bobcats were plentiful it seemed like if you called the right area and I have talked to a handful of houndsmen there on both sides of Nevada and they were more interested in Mt Lions than with bobcats. Sure they took the little kitties but concentrated more on the big kitties. I even had a couple of them tell me where they just treed?more like bayed up but there are trees? that they would climb. Never did have much luck with that info other than to go back a week later after they settled down a bit from being chased all over Hell and back.
I still can't believe I re-posted that Leonard ..LOL

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2024 01:58 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure about elsewhere but cats here won't take to a tree when being run by dogs, most caught on the ground.

As for bears according to my friends its mostly the young bears that tree, the older bears are too fat to climb or just don't care to.
Wisc. has two bear seasons, early one for just running and training dogs and second season for killing. Baits are put out with trail cameras and in morning of just a training hunt they look for where the young bears are feeding and go after them.
Come hunt season same is done except they target the big bears that been coming into the bait.

[ April 01, 2024, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters