The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Test (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Test
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 06:01 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Is your book coming out in hardcover first, or paperback?
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 06:20 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
hard cover and been out for two years.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 07:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, all these guys have been calling longer and kilt more coyotes than you will ever see.

You are wasting your breath trying to tell them anything.

All in good humor. No sense getting offended. Right?

I will offer a bit of advice on posting. Your posts are hard to read. It's all bunched together, no paragraph breaks.

It's hard to drop down a line to keep reading. Pay attention to how I chop the chatter into bite size chunks. I've tried telling you this before but so far, not sinking in!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: EXAMPLE

When I stay for over a hour on a stand is cause the coyotes are there so why pack up and leave. makes no sense?? Most stands are 30 minutes and may take that amount of time to get a response, nothing shows or howls then I move.
I call down a creek drainage and have two coyotes on way in you wait till they get close in mean time I may get more coyotes coming in from another direction or same drainage but just takes them little longer to get to me. First two coyotes are in gun range, but you can't see them as they down on the creek ice behind cut banks or tall grass playing peek a Boo. Coyotes like to be in the shadows when they can or use some sort of cover, just way they are. Next thing you know you have been circled by a group of coyotes, some even down wind of me. Just keep calling long as they stick around, and you just wait for one or two to make a mistake and move to open ground so I can get a shot. I guess I should look at my watch if I had one and just say well fuck it's been over a hour I'm just going to get up and leave??? I'm calling coyotes also from long ways it takes time for them to come and none of that 15-minute crap, just don't happen very often. Go find some other guys from Minn. that call at night and ask them how long they sit on a stand and kill coyotes.
I know the answer. You also have to take into account there might not be a place to hide the truck, or the ground is not laid out right so you set up where you can hide the truck and see the coyotes as they come and at times that means a long way off. Property lines can also be a issue, a farmer may not want me calling on his land so then you have to call the coyotes across the property line. Some places the coyotes are predictable and have certain route they like to come in on so it takes little more time there as well. Like I said before if all a guy does is make 15-minute stands and not patent enough to wait or relies of rabbit distress they not going to kill many coyotes. LOL And if a guy just plan to make day stands then yes agree that guy should just look for a new home out of state as you not going to kill many daytime coyotes here by calling. One of the better day time callers here is old school he only calls early morning or just before dark or on snow with a full moon. I think he got 4-5 daytime coyotes this year. He does good under full moon but this year we didn't have any snow or many full moon nights as it was cloudy, so he didn't get much calling in.
He drives truck out to Cali. every week so he stops when he can and makes day stands in Cali. Utah, Nev. and few other states and does pretty good compared to here. Me move? Hell no! You just give up to easy. LOL [Razz] [Big Grin]

[ March 28, 2024, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 07:40 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
No offense here leonard, can't speak for other side of the fence though.

As for reading my crap use the mouse courser to keep you on track.

Killed more or seen more that's debatable Leonard. I assume most have day jobs and work all week. I'm off all winter and been that way ever since I left the service back in 83. I also still go out and call when weather cooperates.

Most of my gear was paid for every year from fur checks and not much would of been made just calling or hunting on a weekend.

Its just chit-chat also not trying to educate those not willing to listen or learn or suffer from a mindset/brain lock. LOL
But didn't you say you get like a thousand views a day?

I remember Steve Craig at one of campouts. He would talk about calling big cats and snaring.
I don't call big cats or snare much, but I did listen to what he had to say on the subject weither it was right or wrong or I agreed with.

[ March 29, 2024, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 08:11 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim I guess this is the point about you getting us all learned up.

First none of us hunt In Minnesota.

Second none of us use Thermal

Third non of us are having trouble calling and killing Coyotes.

Fourth just because we don’t listen to your nonsense doesn’t mean we have brain lock. If it works for you keep doing it.

You’re like a Plumber telling an Electrician how to do Plumbing. It’s irrelevant….

Good Hunting Buddy 😁

Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 08:39 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Pressured coyotes?

After talking with other callers from other parts of the country this is what I see.

Take North Dakota for example; Use to be one of the best places to go call coyotes, high numbers and most of the land was easy to get around on, fewer people and hunting pressure.

Years back two guys start up the coyote classic calling tournaments that are held all over the state. Which equaled more calling pressure on the coyotes and changed the way they behave. Why?

For starters length of time on a stand, 15-25 minute stands. Some callers are dumping every sound they got into such a short amount of time or only using just few key sounds and then moving on.

I go to other forums and listen to how many make a stand and what they do or don't do and seems to me too many are listening to others and sticking with a 15 min. stand and then dumping the whole sound library trying to get a coyote to come in on such a short amount of time.

Sure, it works at times, or the guys just move on to next stand, more stands equal more chances to call one in.

From what I've seen in other parts of country not all coyotes going to show up in such short amount of time, they just don't and not all going to be spotted either.

So, if the caller sees or hears nothing in short amount of time, they just pack it up and move on and in mean time and not giving the coyotes time.
Meanwhile coyotes are showing up as they leave and then getting spooked.
Or coyotes do come in but lock up and the caller don't want to spend a whole lot of time trying to call that one in so then again, they just pack up and leave them or take some wild ass shots at them. Just fucked them up for the next guy.

To my understanding the coyotes in N.D. will lock up on coyote vocals but will come to rabbit screams or vole mouse. Why is that?
Coyotes communicate by use of vocals on daily basis.
I say the problem with calling difficult coyotes is due to too many guys trying to cram everything in on such a short amount of time, in too much of a hurry and that's what is messing up the coyotes.
Chad laughs because I spend up to 2-3 hours on a stand with coyotes! Sure I do and it also gets them killed, isn't that what we are after to begin with?

Coyotes are also adapting and taking more time to come in vrs. years ago, sure the young still seem normal till a guy fucks them up and then it's back to a new game with them.
Most of the contest guys have not changed much, they still spend 15-20 minutes on a stand and move.

Some blame the x brand of e-caller for this, but I say it's the guys doing the calling and those taking wild ass shots at them.
I've gone in all winter working same groups taking out one or two at a time and then give few days of rest and go back at them. I do see a difference in performance of 2 X brand callers, but the coyotes still come in but one also does a better job of it over the other and that's what I see.

My Nephew has a X-brand caller and he was out one night trying to see if he could find and call in his own. He called me that night and said he can't do a dam thing with the coyotes, they just stayed off in the distance.
About 3 weeks go by and he goes back out again on his own and went to same area and called in a triple. I said that's great and then asked what did you do different?

He said he sold his X-brand caller and bought a Y-brand caller with everything else being the same except different selection of sounds. LOL

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 08:47 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
You also don't have to read it Chad.

Electricity flows like water so yes, they both have something in common. Water goes in and has to have a place to go out and same with electricity. [Wink] [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 08:50 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad do you call and kill same numbers every year on avr. ???

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 08:56 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah on average yes. Some years are better than others depending on the conditions.

“Chad laughs because I spend up to 2-3 hours on a stand with coyotes! Sure I do and it also gets them killed, isn't that what we are after to begin with?”

In Nevada I’ve killed 7+ coyotes in a 2-3 hour period making 10-15 minute stands. A 2 hour stand would be a total waste of time.

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 11:28 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
So do you believe you killing all that's there every season and your area is filling back up with fill ins?

Example; you are killing 100 coyotes a season. And next year is roughly same number. And next year's coyotes have moved in from somewhere else????

How late in season do you hunt? Month?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 11:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, it's a renewable resource, almost impossible to do a scorched earth in Nevada. Not so in Utah, the residents have pretty well throttled the local coyote population. To the point where pickings are rather slim. Most Utah hunters hunt coyotes in Nevada, as I do. Vast, open territory. Hard to beat!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 12:19 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Three years ago I took my first trip to Nevada. We will just say in the Elko area. I had in my mind the coyotes would have been hammered and adjusted my thought process accordingly. I did not know what to expect terrain wise.

My first five stands, I had 23 coyotes answer my howls. I did not see a coyote and we could only move on three of those coyotes due to terrain or private ownership. The moving did not pan out either, but we were able to kill three that day.

Following year. Same state, different location.
If you wanted a coyote to howl, play any sound on your ecaller except a coyote howl. I only did this on the first two stands and then switched to hand calls only. We shot 4 for the day.

A few years back, I had a conversation with Major about time on stand and I asked if he found himself staying longer. His answer was no. Also talked with Vern Howey concerning the same subject and his answer was he did not stay any longer than he ever had.

Last summer in Lusk WY for Coyote Days, I sat at the table with Les and several other trappers and callers. Same deal. 10-12 minutes and move.

I myself have been staying for 20 minutes the last three years and honestly very rarely do I have a coyote show up between 15-20 minutes. I do not throw them the kitchen sink of sounds and am always trying to eliminate variables.

These days I really enjoy hunting country I have never seen before. Finding a two track headed into the wind and driving slowly looking for sign and structure. When the two come together, I find a place for a stand and start calling. It is simply a relaxed way to hunt and if I manage 3-4 coyotes in the day, I am happy.

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 12:24 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I think the after the ones are killed in a given area that new coyotes move into that area.

What really affects numbers out here are disease, drought, and rabbit populations and harsh winters. If they don’t have rabbits to live on they will move to areas that hold deer and antelope.

I hunt until late February or early March. Start back up in September usually.

Like Leonard said though Nevada holds some amazing numbers of coyotes. And they get pressured a lot. Tons of contests but you still get the high numbers. Utah not so much. Oh there are quite a few coyotes but not like Nevada.

Good Hunting Chad

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 12:36 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy funny you mention the howling deal in Nevada. I have found some areas coyotes are extremely vocal and active when responding to my howling even as they are approaching. But I’ve been in other areas that you couldn’t get a coyote to howl if your life depended on it. But they are still very responsive to calling.

Case in point: One day last fall went to an area that has always been productive. Started at daylight with vocals not a sound from any coyote and this was vast Sage brush flat, with rolling hills. We started just cold calling prey distress and pup distress moving every 10-15 minutes and from daylight til around noon we called 12 coyotes and killed 10 not one made a peep. But damn near every stand we had coyotes flying in. Half were killed with shotguns at 10 yards and under.

And yes always 10-15 minute stands

Good Hunting Chad

[ March 29, 2024, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 01:56 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Nevada mostly public? Utah?

We have fill in areas here, most come off the river as the group guys won't hunt it and I don't make it over there to call or run dogs.
Here the fill in seems to stop just after breeding as most already have their ground for the year and females getting dens ready.

As season progresses do you go through a Lull?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 02:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nevada is a renewable resource. Yes, the high numbers are early season August September October. After late January, I would concentrate on cats because they don't get rubbed.

But, a 15 minute stand is all I have ever needed. The percentage of animals that respond after that is very small.

But, I have to give you credit for staying alert for two friggin' hours in sub zero Minnesota! I might not have made 8 stands, because you have to move at least a half mile between stands and that eats up some time.

Maybe if I tried to explain like this: When I first read about predator hunting and tried to apply it, yes, I called in a coyote that bolted when I stood up to leave. But, it was going with somebody that had done it that was like a revelation! I immediately GOT IT!

Even now, if I bother to read an article about hunting coyotes, it's so easy to pay attention to stuff that don't matter! I will tell you my biggest complaint, or PET PEEVE; and that's when they start talking about A SET instead of making a stand.

I don't know, I think this is a trapping term that does not apply to making a stand, don't matter, coyote or cat. It's a fucking STAND! It's not a set!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS and thanks Tim, I appreciate the spaces!
edit: yes, Nevada has a lot of BLM land. Possibly more than any other, but I don't know about Alaska, and don't care.

[ March 29, 2024, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 02:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53619381661_5a16a92c75_b.jpg

These coyotes plus five bobcats not in picture came out of Randy Shaws country. Two nights and used thermal

[ March 29, 2024, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 02:56 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, I have to give you credit for staying alert for two friggin' hours in sub zero Minnesota! I might not have made 8 stands, because you have to move at least a half mile between stands and that eats up some time.
Temps been in the 30's to low 40 so I can afford to stay longer if needed. With coyotes all around you just keep scanning till one pops up for a shot, keeps you busy plus running the callers as well.
After a stand I have to move to next group can be five miles or little more depending on what direction I want to go. Number of stands can be 4-8 depending if coyotes show on most stands and then getting them to come in.
All takes time.
One stand might be over in 20 minutes and the next a hour or two but also depends on how many coyotes show up at one time and what they decide to do.

Had nephew along few times and most stands were short due to having two shooters and just a single or double come in.

--------------------

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 04:53 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Serious question for Tim.

I have watched many thermal hunts on you tube and only to observe how the coyotes react. I could care less about the kill shot. Anyways, it appears to me the coyotes do not act the same when hunting with thermal compared to daytime calling. It looks to me that most are targets of opportunity. Just passing thru the stand or the hunters spot a coyote out in the field while setting up. It looks to me like only about 25 percent are actually coming to the call and of those, about half are responding like daytime coyotes.

Is this what you see? Also, it is illegal here in NE to thermal hunt bobcats. They are considered a furbearer.

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 06:58 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Good eye Randy! I see the same as well on U-tube vid.s. One of the reasons I question X-brand E-callers as I see the same from one X-brand and not the other and a point I was trying to get across, but no one would bother to go look at a few U-tube vid.s since they don't have thermal or plan to get one. Thanks for looking.

I'm trying to get info from each one of these guys when I see how their coyotes are behaving.

Some of the guys call at med. up to 80% volume and some run the volume up and down.
Some guys get to aggressive and some not aggressive enough due to not having a clue as to what they calling too.
Some guys change to a sound that turns a coyote off.
Many of them also shoot from a tripod that means they have to stand, and I believe the coyotes can see this and why they just stop coming as they unsure of what's there. Also, maybe a reflection of a gun or clothes not blended right.
Darker colors can be bad and same for too light.
The thermals also throw off a light from the back of scope which shines on shooters face if he is moving away from the scope and then back to it, the lights bounces off his face you might say or maybe the guy is wearing glasses.
Coyote vocals can also throw up the caution flag at times why it helps again to know what you calling to.
Coyotes may also have been called before and if you see one holding off way at the back when you have a group in front that one may have been shot at as well.
Lot of variables there and can only guess.
They also may be playing a sound that's keeping it there like pup distress, but caution is keeping them from coming any closer.

Coyotes can see in the dark, how far I don't know exactly or what they can see.

Also, in a thermal the coyotes will appear to look like they farther away than what they really are. To me a 200-yard coyote looks more like 400 yards through a thermal, so I try to use my reticle for ranging and if the coyote fills the circle reticle, then I shoot.
A friend brought to my attention earlier tonight that if a truck is passing through the area (mile away) some coyotes may just take off running before you even turn caller on. And then some just sit there and wait for it to get quiet again.

Also, sometimes a caller may get in to close to make a stand and coyotes know he is there but don't know what the threat is but just something alien to them thus the caution flag goes up.
I made this mistake many times when I first got a thermal. I knew my area and where the coyotes like to be and so I would set up close to them, big mistake. (less than half mile)

I'm trying to get it all nailed down, but it takes time getting feedback from others and finding out what are they doing or not doing and why the coyotes are just loafing out front.
Maybe its the MFK breeding sounds? LOL

What I get for a response is either fast or slow you can't bank on either one.

P.S. the coyotes are not passing through they was called in but like I said something put up a caution flag and they just pacing back and forth you might say. Half their brain says go get it and other half says better back off. Example of a mind set.

[ March 29, 2024, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 07:11 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I chatted with two friends' tonight that live in northern Min. One lives on N-W side of state and calls more open type ground with big sections.
He makes 15-20 minute stands and then moves on. This year he called in and killed around 40 coyotes in Mn. and another 40 coyotes in N.D. and also 15-20 minute stands there.

My other friend lives more on the N-E side of the state and has mostly woods and clear-cut areas, small fields, creeks and so on. He makes 30-minute stands and will not leave till 30 minutes is up regardless of if one shows or not. He only hunts around home and kills close to 100 coyotes a season. He also admitted sometimes 30 minutes isn't enough. Also, the N-W friend relies mostly on rabbit and maybe a few howls. N-E friend relies on both prey and alot of vocals.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 07:29 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy on page one in my pictures I have one coyote than come in and stood in front of me waiting for its medicine and that's what most of mine do unless something throws up a caution flag.
You see another coyote that's close but more of a angled picture. That coyote is going to my downwind but he waited too long to do that.

Another picture shows 3 coyotes coming in hard on a string and went straight to center of sound cone. One died.
There was one more picture of one broadside of walking coyote on a minimum Maintenace road which back doored me and was just 50 feet from my truck.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 07:42 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, it is illegal here in NE to thermal hunt bobcats. They are considered a furbearer.
Guess that's why they not in the picture. Plus, the landowner decides what lives or dies. LOL

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2024 11:18 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
“I chatted with two friends' tonight that live in northern Min. One lives on N-W side of state and calls more open type ground with big sections.
He makes 15-20 minute stands and then moves on. This year he called in and killed around 40 coyotes in Mn. and another 40 coyotes in N.D. and also 15-20 minute stands there.

My other friend lives more on the N-E side of the state and has mostly woods and clear-cut areas, small fields, creeks and so on. He makes 30-minute stands and will not leave till 30 minutes is up regardless of if one shows or not. He only hunts around home and kills close to 100 coyotes a season. He also admitted sometimes 30 minutes isn't enough. Also, the N-W friend relies mostly on rabbit and maybe a few howls. N-E friend relies on both prey and alot of vocals.”

Sounds like your friends had very comparable seasons. Each using different methods.

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2024 06:10 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The late, great, singer - songwriter - poet Dave Dudley once wrote;
"If it feels good .... Do it ...... If it hurts ..... just let it be."
Wise advice [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters