The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Test (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Test
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2024 11:41 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That way, I can reference it when something happens that I've never seen before! (check my sig line)
We didn't have coyotes when you lived here. [Razz] [Wink]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2024 12:18 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
😂 yeah what Vic said….

I think I’m starting to get it now. Tim goes out calling with Scott Huber and Randy Roede and learns a few catch phrases on coyote behavior from them, then comes back to internet “parrots” what they told him and then tells everyone here the reason they aren’t as successful as he is. And I’m sure the reason that Tim is such a WT guy isn’t because Scott and Randy were both WT proponents.😉

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2024 01:45 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Made less than a handful of stands with Scott, was too windy to call so time was spent checking beaver traps and counting lecks. and then one day as ground spotter for the plane. Nice try!
As for Randy a day was spent denning and working his dog. One night spent locating coyotes and its benefits. One day calling in my area working a group of coyotes and how much you can push them. Also, the benefits of using a WT. caller. Stand selection and where we chose to sit wasn't talked about as both of us was on same page. Randy did stress one needs to look and listen and the puzzle will fall together.
Randy never flat out gave you the answers to anything, he gives me a scenario or puzzle and left it up to me to figure out. Don't learn nothing if someone else does the work for you, you still need experience and you get that by doing it yourself, do all the leg work or what's required.

Coyotes are our best teacher either you willing to learn or just fall to the wayside like many who tried.
Once I had my WT and called with randy, he said when he takes others out calling, they tend to copy same scenario or play out same sounds. I said really and then he remarked I was doing the same thing. LOL I told Randy when he puts caller way out front or off to the opposite side of me, I can't hear his caller so how I could possibly duplicate what he was playing, plus I always kept my caller next to me so I can hear the dam thing. Just so happen both was on same page as far as what sounds to use. Scott placed his caller out front as well and I never did hear any of the sounds he used.
Scott mostly showed me how he goes about his job and just basic shit on calling, no hidden secretes. LOL I still have the paper works or list of stuff he goes through when mentoring others if you like I'll send it to you. No secretes there.
Scott also switched over to F-P if that matters.

My eyes worked good though and could see the benifits of using a WT.

Go calling to a open area like the Dakotas with high numbers and sit on a hill side and just learn from them. Spend time trapping coyotes just adds to the learning process. Track coyotes down in the snow and kill them just adds to learning process. Go to other states and call coyotes just adds to learning process, different country and at time different coyote behavior. Hunt coyotes in a group with one or two guys moving the coyotes and a few guys sniping as they try to crossroad just adds to it. Sitting on a hill side watching the ground as a plane flys a grid and shoots coyotes from the air just adds to learning process.
Take a pack of dogs and run coyotes with snow on ground or without just adds to learning process.

Calling coyotes at night with a light or better yet thermals just adds to learning process.

Sit and listen to guys that claim all they use is rabbit sounds does not add to the learning process and also not much to be gleaned from guys who call heavy cover other than watch the downwind side good, they can't see coyotes make an approach so what's to learn there. Many don't take time to locate so they basically just driving around and picking a spot that looks good to them, what's to glean from that?
So, I guess I could safely say I been there, and I done that.
I'm still learning but the answers for me are not found on the internet, the coyotes hold the key and only one I can give credit to.
Sorry it all bothers you. LOL

By the way some of those catch phases was from Bill and passed onto Scott and Randy, that's where they came up with them if you are looking for the source . Nice try. [Big Grin]

[ March 25, 2024, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2024 02:49 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta admit I had to look Dunning Kruger Effect up.
Now, that's cuttin' with a cold knife right there. [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2024 05:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
ko ko, I tried finding that "Dunning Kruger Effect"
with no luck. What the hell is it?

But, for Tim; about how any animals do you see in a night? How many bobcat have you killed, approximately? You mentioned Red Fox somewhere. Have you killed quite a few? How about Gray fox?

I've killed quite a few Gray fox but it's usually not a target. In fact, I won't mess up a stand by killing one until I'm pretty sure no coyotes are coming in. And, most of them are in Arizona.

I do not see very many Red Fox at all and in fact, have not killed one, they seem especially shy.

As far as coyotes, and I'm just mentioning this because the frame of reference is a bit distorted. Typically, in season at night in Nevada, I might see between 25 and 50 animals. That doesn't mean they all come in, but over the years, I have killed and put between 7 and 12 coyotes a night when everything is agreeable, weather isn't a problem, etc. The most we ever killed, in a weekend was either 22 or 23?

On day stands, I(we) have killed a dozen several times, mostly in Arizona. I'm speaking as a team, we don't count individual kills separately, like I got 3 and my partner got 4. No, we got 7, that's it, a team effort. For that matter, maybe I didn't actually kill any? Maybe I was on the light all night, but WE got 7, and I contributed every bit as much as the shooter. It's a team effort, no jealousy. But I have known guys that strictly switch shooters every stand. Personally, I think most old hands consider that you have to trust and have faith in your partner. Yes, I have seen teams that keep their kill separate, but that's a minority and it's a petty situation. If you don't trust your partner, it's time to start hunting with someone else.

I hunted with the same partner for over 25 years and he was an exceptional shot on game, as am I. I had total faith in him, and he was just as good on the light. It's the light man that is doing the actual hunting and tracking the animal and it's every bit as skilled as the shooter. In fact, if we had a new guy we would put him on the gun because there is very little for him to do, and you find out right away if he can take the shot offered and kill the animal when you set him up for the easy shot.

If somebody doesn't get it, that's fine, but the fact is, it's the light man doing all the work. Puts a lot of pressure on the shooter and he better not miss! On our competitive hunts, we would hunt as a 3 man team. In that case, the man with the second most responsibility is the driver. The easy job is the shooter and sometimes we would keep the same job all night or maybe switch off once. There is a lot of pressure on the driver to stop when he is signaled, shut everything down and make sure he parks in a level spot, when spotlighting. Sometimes it's just a matter of stopping so that there aren't branches or boulders or a big trunk in the way. All I'm trying to explain is that this kill team must work together like a well oiled machine and that can make the difference in a few more animals. I'm just saying that shooting is actually the easiest job with a team like this. All this effort for a trophy, or a belt buckle.

Sorry for droning on and on
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2024 10:09 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
How many critters at night? With out doing a locate and just calling areas where i know they are most of time I would see at least one coyote every stand with one empty stand out of five mostly due to just checking to see if any filtered over to a drainage ditch in another direction. Next time through I would just call another section in a different direction just trying to figure out which way the YOY are moving but still call coyotes from targeted area. In other words, I try to call areas I know they are in and then try a few other spots close bye always looking for that odd ball or a new group but yet not wasting alot of time in that area just move to known area.

Some nights I give the known groups a rest and will go look for new spots then I may only find just a few and take note if I don't get them killed and then just add them to the next visit list. Some nights I have nephew along he can hear them howl much farther away which is about 2-3 miles roughly. When stands get to be 2 hours long or little more I will pass up some locate areas and just save for another night or I run out of time calling better locations. When I locate some off in distance, I like to look the area over in day before I call it so I can plan my next move. I have a Garmin drive track with bird's eye view which shows all the structure and then I pin stand locations for that area according to wind so I got it covered for when I also go in to call. Coyotes don't go too far here so once they found its just matter of time and can make it, so I see coyotes on most every stand selection. Nephew is impressed by that cause I make it look so easy but he also doesn't realize I have to do all the leg work figuring areas out and coyotes and how many may be there. I told him also if he don't get out and learn this shit he going to stay in fourth grade far as calling goes and told him you can't google this stuff when I'm gone. LOL

How many Bobcats have I killed? Five! But not here in Minnesota. All the cats are in northern half of the state and only allowed to kill five so too far to drive so I don't mess with them.

Its same with what few gray fox we have most are way north of me along the line where the bobcats start and may overlap a little.

I've called wolves before, but we don't have a season so no shooting. I worked one season up in a wolf area, so I took my special caller along which was loaded with wolf vocals and called a few in early morning or just before dark. Also found out I wasn't close enough to their core area and why I wasn't seeing any packs, just stray wolves looking for their own place.

Red fox I killed quit a few at night when we got the lite law passed but numbers was getting so low here, so I stopped killing them but killed two last seasons with the thermal. Both instances I had a coyote and fox coming in along edge of CRP at same time and just told myself I'll shoot whatever shows first. Just so happen the red fox beat the coyote to the caller both times.
I have a pair of coyotes close to town and also a pair of red fox, the fox come up by the house in town once in a while, so I just leave them alone kind of cool walking outside next day and see a pair of tracks come around the house. Then out where I have my kennel, I have pair of coyotes there as well that come up to farm site, I save them for just the dog running.
At times red fox can be harder to call than the coyotes as you are right, they can be very timid. Bird sounds and vole mouse works best but have had them come into coyote howls and distress sounds, what gives there?
Some nights I may have a deer or two come into a call, skunks, coon and owls and a jackrabbit around breeding time.
With a thermal you can see most anything that puts off heat and is alive from little, tiny field mouse up to a full-grown cow.
Mice look like little white Christmas bulbs jumping around as they move about, and a rat will look like a lamp light bulb in size. Only place I see any rabbits is around farm sites and our jackrabbits are pretty scarce as well only find them in very small pockets. I'd say mice and rats is the meal ticket for bulk of my coyotes.

seeing 25-50 animals shit I would have to put a hell of a lot of miles on and be lucky if I see 25 in a night. If I just drove and located as I went and once I saw a coyote or group and then just move and locate more then maybe I could bring that number up to 30 or more since this is a good year for coyotes as the number is up due to no snow.
Like said stands can be pretty long here and you need to learn to call what's there. you just can't say fuck it and go look for a easy one to call.
Every coyote is different or group of coyotes, it's a learning process of what they like and what you can get away with, is no magic sounds just some work over and over better than others. Early season rabbit and bird sounds and may be one howl or two that's it. Go to next group though and they will run from a rabbit, so you give them some coyote vocals or that new sound I'm using of a woman screaming and turn them back around and then work them.
I also get different results from two different callers, and I know what to look for so I can be ready for when they do come or decide when to use caller X or caller B.... I can pretty much predict what they going to do if the come. Vic says its checkers, I say its chess. LOL
My buddies up north put more coyotes in back of the truck at night but there are usually two shooters, and more coyotes to call to in given area and they use suppressor, which is hit and miss, they get few extra and then they don't.

I trust very few so I hunt mostly alone as I figured if a coyotes gonna get fucked up then I'm going to be one to do it and live with my mistake.
Also agree I don't get every coyote I see. Sometimes I see one at a half mile line on the move and there is someplace it wants to be, have a hill side between us so I know I wasn't seen or heard it's just it had to be somewhere. Have some stands I also go in on first time sometimes blind as I never looked them over in the day and then find I'm set up in wrong spot and some small hill hides the coyote's approach or a drainage ditched is froze over, so they duck into that and make approach and then play peek a boo. I don't fuck around with them if I don't have the shot or can't get it, I just let it get quiet and hope they leave and then come back later and make a better stand it's still do able. Taking wild guess shots and missing just fucks them up so much, better to just let them go.

The thing with a thermal is you track with it, puts the light man out of a job. Two shooters on stand just more eyes and a little signal can put both shooters on the coyotes and be ready till they cross the line. Shooter closest to lead coyote takes the shot, second shooter is tracking another coyote or is just back up in case of bad hit as it can happen at times with a thermal vrs. daytime scope.
Yes you right about shooting being easiest part and at times I like to just sit and work the caller but when I got nephew along, he so dam green I can't trust him on chip shots, but he is getting better and would get much better if he gets out more. Maybe I could hire Lances gunner???? "My gunner" is that just a phase or does Lance own his?
Leonard your way of night hunting sounds like fun but don't think I could find a crew for that if it was legal here as most want to do all the shooting to satisfy their blood lust or ego. One reason why I don't run dogs with the old group, they don't want the dogs to catch any coyotes but just run them to the road in a short amount of time so they can shoot.
Reminds me of copper. She worked her ass off to bring a coyote to a first-time shooter and the kid kills it up close with a shotty. Kid was so happy he didn't want to let go of copper but now his dad forgot all of what copper did for his kid and wouldn't go to bat for me, so I say fuckem. Ran into the guy few times when crew wasn't out and he ask if I wanted help, I just say no the dogs will get it.

Edit to add. sometimes I run into some of the other guys from crew and I keep two pictures on my phone. One picture is of two dead coyotes and other may be 5-6 dead coyotes. one of them will always ask how the hunting is? depending on who asks I say or not so good and just say all I got is two so far. Next guy I may want to piss off, so I show him the picture with larger number and then say I got this last night over by his place. LOLs

[ March 27, 2024, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 12:15 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel a lot like Vic. Night calling has never really been an interest of mine. I’ve done it quite a few times in Nevada but it never has peaked my interest like day calling. I bet my best night calling night would only be 4-5 coyotes. I would rather get the sleep and hit it hard daylight to dark. Nevada has always been good to us. I think we have had 2- 13 coyote days, a dozen or so 10 coyote days. More than I can remember 6-7 coyote days. And more than I can count 2-5 coyote days. Best Nevada hunt for us was a 3 1/2 day trip we killed 32 coyotes should have killed 40 that trip. Utah is a different animal though best day I’ve had is 5 coyotes. I’m as proud of that day as about any out calling. We will get quite a few 1-2 coyote days an occasional 3 coyote day but not many. Wyoming for me has been real hit and miss, a few great days and a lot of slow days. But I would take day calling any day over the night stuff. Now for Leonard I understand the night game, the Competition thing is a whole different game. I wish I could have seen those big numbers back in the day.

Edit: most coyotes called on one stand was in Nevada 20+ years ago… 17 Coyotes.

Good Hunting Chad

[ March 28, 2024, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 05:53 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Love reading all this stuff and it sure brings back a lot of great memories. Like some of us here I was just never a big time night caller. I liked watching them come in and so did my wife, who was with me most of the time. Yeah we had night stuff like red lights etc. but it just wasn't our cup of tea. And just how many times do you want to have a Great Horned Owl buzz you and startle the crap out of you.
I do miss Nevada as I always had good luck there and unless you were calling near a town was pretty good. BUT,,, when I was living in Gardnerville, by Carson City. I did have good luck calling near and by houses. Lots of coyotes that liked to eat tasty cats and small dogs and were only harassed by bigger domestic dogs. Especially productive areas were by places that had posters on phone poles looking to give out rewards for this and that pet that never came home.
having a partner that was good was great also you just both knew what the other was thinking and you were in sync with each other.
On and on, but I do believe my best that I remember was taking my cousin out calling on the nuclear reservation where he went to school in Arco, Idaho. We had to sneak in but when you blew that call it seemed like you were living back when Lewis and Clark recorded so many coyotes out on the plains. We killed a dozen on one stand, yes we had to reload, they just kept coming and coming.
Never believed it could happen. The thing is no one ever called out there on a lot of acres that had no access to anybody. Those coyotes never heard a mouth call let alone some one with a e-caller.
But just calling in the daytime was the funnest for me because you could watch them come in from far away to believing they just pop up out of the ground in front of you and how could you not see them right in front of you. Great times.
I've called here in eastern TN a couple times and it reminds me of calling back in Washington and Oregon on the wet jungle side. I'm sure you call something in but seeing it is a whole nother story. We have lots of coyotes and cats and red fox here. I've had better luck with traps around the chicken coup on fox than anything. Well those stupid racoons don't really count that get caught.
Speaking of fox. Many of you ever call those dumbass Kit Fox? In southern Nevada you could call up enough to make you stop shooting them or just switch over to using your favorite .22 pistol or revolver just for shits and giggles. They got to be on par with sheep for smarts.
Anyways enough of my trivial ramblings. Thanks for the memories fellas. And keep the friendly garbage and trash talk going. Tim, you are a glutton ,I believe, for this as you seem to thrive in it. And thanks for the site Leonard it is good to read all that the fellas and gals contribute to it. Good, Bad ,or Indifferent.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 05:54 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Just read my post, what a long winded bunch of crap from an old man that still has his marbles.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 07:12 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
El Bee ............. It comes right up on Google.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 09:34 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Walt. LOL Calling predators is all I know or do, can talk about it all day. Shooting pistols at paper or steel targets don't interest me, never did and can say same about Government or politics. There are things you can do to make your calling better or just give you a good experience but not a dam thing you can do about a Gov. we have no control over and never will. Plus, I like to do my part to keep Leonard's board active whether you agree or not. Agree calling at night with a light or daytime calling in thick stuff you don't see much of the coyote till it steps out in front or into a light and then you kill it. Not a lot gleaned there from a coyote.
Calling with a thermal though you can watch a coyote from long ways off, it turns the night into day sort to speak. It also has its challenges as well and not as easy as some may think. I love day calling in S.D. but it's just too expensive these days for that. I enjoy watching my dogs work a coyote track or coyote in a chase, I wouldn't of missed it for the world.
Calling coyotes is different everywhere you can either adapt or just stay home, it's up to everyone to decide.

Another thing about night calling is here the wind tends to die down at dark which makes it a good time to be out verses sitting at home cause wind blew too hard all day. Wind direction also changes here often which gives you a chance to go into a certain area and call it vrs. some places wind is usually from one direction. You also get a chance to see how the coyotes are behaving to different wind directions, some old guys use to say wind out of the east coyotes come the least. Barometer changes you can also see how it affects coyotes if any, new moon, old moon, no moon, cloudy sky vrs. clear sky, night before a storm, during storm or days after you can see it all at night.
From what I see deer behavior is more affected by weather conditions than coyotes. so, I don't compare the two and same with fishing forecasts, not the same. I do see when barometer goes up or down it affects the animals as far as what or how far they can hear and same with humidity. Some nights I get a little popping in the ears as Bar. presser changes and can feel like the ears are stopped up and then have nights when I can hear much farther or clearer. Not sure if same way with critters....

[ March 28, 2024, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 09:52 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim you totally lost me when I read this quote from you.

“When stands get to be 2 hours long or little more I will pass up some locate areas and just save for another night or I run out of time calling better locations.”

The day I sat on a stand for coyotes for 2+ hours is the day I moved to a new State. Or take up a new hobbie.

Good Hunting Chad

[ March 28, 2024, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 10:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that is something that the concept is a bit difficult for me to grasp. Hunting coyotes in Minnesota seems so foreign to me, but it's the same as calling in Tennessee or Georgia, it's so weird it's not like classic coyote calling in western states like Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and southern California...where it all started!

It's my theory that, as we pressured coyotes they started moving east. Some people maybe like BM, thinks they have wolf hibred coyotes in fucking Maine but I really feel like we more or less pushed them east past what was a natural barrier, the Mississippi river. With enough pressure, you had a couple brave 'yotes that ventured across the bridge. then they adapt, no jackrabbits, so they hunt whatever's available, including domestic stock and chickens.

But there is a reason why we started hunting coyotes in neighboring states. Of course, I have always blamed Foxpro for fucking up all coyote hunting. I hunted this guy's ranch in Colorado and he told us the coyotes had never been hunted. As we were driving in the dirt, one afternoon, I saw a coyote hunkered down between a cluster of Yucca, just keeping his head down. I told him to stop and as I bailed out, that coyote, a hundred yards away, got up and high tailed it as fast as his little legs would carry him towards cover. I started thinking....these coyotes are pressured!

So, this guy had a Foxpro, the small portable type and when he was tending his cows, he would take the Foxpro turn it on and set it on the hood of his truck as he fed the stock! Then he admitted that he gave his lawyer permission last night to spotlight his property, which was non productive and to be telling me that his coyotes were never hunted was slicing it pretty thin, because he had never donned camoflage and sat by a bush and actually made a stand, and in his mind, technically, his coyotes had never been hunted. maybe so, but he had them so intimidated that they ran the other way when they heard a wounded rabbit call!

It's basically a bunch of amateurs that have queered the coyote hunting. They are educated and fear man, fear his vehicles and especially fear a Foxpro!

edit: It's not enough to turn on a machine; you have to kill the coyote or he will impart his fear or caution to his family. he is capable of alerting strange coyotes to danger and they do it. This is how you contaminate an entire county!

That's what I think.
Good hunting. El Bee

[ March 28, 2024, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 10:34 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
When I stay for over a hour on a stand is cause the coyotes are there so why pack up and leave. makes no sense?? Most stands are 30 minutes and may take that amount of time to get a response, nothing shows or howls then I move.
I call down a creek drainage and have two coyotes on way in you wait till they get close in mean time I may get more coyotes coming in from another direction or same drainage but just takes them little longer to get to me. First two coyotes are in gun range, but you can't see them as they down on the creek ice behind cut banks or tall grass playing peek a Boo. Coyotes like to be in the shadows when they can or use some sort of cover, just way they are. Next thing you know you have been circled by a group of coyotes, some even down wind of me. Just keep calling long as they stick around, and you just wait for one or two to make a mistake and move to open ground so I can get a shot. I guess I should look at my watch if I had one and just say well fuck it's been over a hour I'm just going to get up and leave??? I'm calling coyotes also from long ways it takes time for them to come and none of that 15-minute crap, just don't happen very often. Go find some other guys from Minn. that call at night and ask them how long they sit on a stand and kill coyotes.
I know the answer. You also have to take into account there might not be a place to hide the truck, or the ground is not laid out right so you set up where you can hide the truck and see the coyotes as they come and at times that means a long way off. Property lines can also be a issue, a farmer may not want me calling on his land so then you have to call the coyotes across the property line. Some places the coyotes are predictable and have certain route they like to come in on so it takes little more time there as well. Like I said before if all a guy does is make 15-minute stands and not patent enough to wait or relies of rabbit distress they not going to kill many coyotes. LOL And if a guy just plan to make day stands then yes agree that guy should just look for a new home out of state as you not going to kill many daytime coyotes here by calling. One of the better day time callers here is old school he only calls early morning or just before dark or on snow with a full moon. I think he got 4-5 daytime coyotes this year. He does good under full moon but this year we didn't have any snow or many full moon nights as it was cloudy, so he didn't get much calling in.
He drives truck out to Cali. every week so he stops when he can and makes day stands in Cali. Utah, Nev. and few other states and does pretty good compared to here. Me move? Hell no! You just give up to easy. LOL [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 11:10 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, that is something that the concept is a bit difficult for me to grasp. Hunting coyotes in Minnesota seems so foreign to me, but it's the same as calling in Tennessee or Georgia, it's so weird it's not like classic coyote calling in western states like Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and southern California...where it all started!
You got that right Leonard and agree it's not same. It took many years for Cal Taylor to realize that, and he finally admitted on a F-P pod cast that calling and coyote behavior is different from one area to next. You remember Rich Cronk he lived in Iowa and would drive west and call along the border next to river as the coyotes was just that much easier to work with when calling compared to rest of Iowa. I had to drive to western S.D. to find that out as well.
Northern Mn. they have way more cover than me since I'm on the prairie and also more coyotes so they have little better success, but they still have to go out at night if they want the big kill numbers. I have friends in Wisc. and Mich and they been doing well in areas with more cover vrs. areas with less and also many of them call at night with thermals. Thermals and better vocals have upped their game plus many are becoming better callers as well.
I have a DVD with Maine coyotes that Bill filmed on his hunts, and some may have also been filmed in Canada and they are a bigger coyote, little more aggressive and will come out in day to a caller. As Higgins use to say we have like 6-7 different sub-species of coyotes, and I will agree with that. I have what they call eastern strain and Iowa has the same and they look and behave the same. I used to call my way through S.D and at first, I'd see eastern strain as I moved through the state and then after some miles start to see a mixture of both and closer to river, I got the more they looked like west river coyotes. Coyotes over there by west river cross the river in winter when it ices over. North Dakota is also the same way but think the west river coyotes have moved farther east in that state.
They have the coyote classic tournament in N.D. and has a oh maybe a dozen tournaments and then the big one. One kid did very well in the contests and kills about 200 plus coyotes a year up there but when they had one of the contests along the min. border this champion didn't do very well. think he found out the coyotes are a little different compared to what he normally calls to and didn't know how to adapt to them.
Been waiting for Les and some of the other video/T.V guys to come film in Minn. for the viewers but that's not going to happen soon.
Hell Randy, Bukar had to go to Texas so he could do a vid. on night calling coyotes from a truck, he couldn't do it here. Wasn't smart enough!

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 11:28 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Again more nonsense for TA.

“Like I said before if all a guy does is make 15-minute stands and not patent enough to wait or relies of rabbit distress they not going to kill many coyotes. LOL”

I guess it depends on your definition of many Coyotes.

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 11:53 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
19 subspecies of coyotes, so the experts claim.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 12:25 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, with all do respect I think you are conflating smart with low numbers and pressured coyotes. We have pressured Coyotes here too. But we have the option to hunt vast amounts of country to find more coyotes. But there have been times I’ve focused on those tough coyotes and had success. But why when I can move around and kill a lot more.So you’re not preaching anything new. Ok you’ve figured out your Coyotes in Minnesota, doesn’t mean you could come out here and dominate in the west. Different Tactics. Where I can totally understand that if I went back there you would kick my ass killing coyotes because you know your area and how to hunt it. But come out west and you’d get your ass handed to you. Why because tactics out here are different. So it’s all relative…

Good Hunting Chad

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 12:49 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Again more nonsense for TA.

“Like I said before if all a guy does is make 15-minute stands and not patent enough to wait or relies of rabbit distress they not going to kill many coyotes. LOL”

I guess it depends on your definition of many Coyotes.

No it depends on where or what part of country you call in, not going to happen here like other places.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 01:43 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tim, with all do respect I think you are conflating smart with low numbers and pressured coyotes. We have pressured Coyotes here too. But we have the option to hunt vast amounts of country to find more coyotes. But there have been times I’ve focused on those tough coyotes and had success. But why when I can move around and kill a lot more.So you’re not preaching anything new. Ok you’ve figured out your Coyotes in Minnesota, doesn’t mean you could come out here and dominate in the west. Different Tactics. Where I can totally understand that if I went back there you would kick my ass killing coyotes because you know your area and how to hunt it. But come out west and you’d get your ass handed to you. Why because tactics out here are different. So it’s all relative…
Yes I know the tactics out there are different, you forget I been there. But what makes there difficult is finding structure where coyotes like to be which takes time, if I could afford to stay longer than a week, I see no issues but if I only have a few days to play with yes it can be a struggle in some places. In my part of country finding structure is so simple, which consists of a creek with willows on both sides or a field of CRP. Hard part is getting coyotes to play. I'd say AZ was difficult find coyote structure due to most of area being same with brush, tree's or what have you everywhere, would be like trying to call a corn field here i guess. Wyoming not so hard as its like western S.D., parts of Utah same thing, many similarities.
I called with other guys in other parts of country most just gave up on difficult coyotes.
The time I called with Crinner and Randy, crinner shoots at and misses a coyote randy called in. We get in truck after and randy says its my turn to pick next stand. We went down the road a short distance and I said stop, we will make stand here. Randy and Crinner argued with me about my choice and said we burned this area up so no point in calling it. "See they already gave up".
We get out of the truck make a stand I call in the same coyote and crinner kills it this time. I used a dam hand call and my yote buster, nothing special.
Scott H. ask Cal if he would let me come out to his area and call to some of the difficult coyotes. Cal said no! Why? Cause he was afraid if I did call one in it would make him look bad. LOL which wasn't my intension, just wanted to show that may be he was missing something is all.
Les johnson in my book wasn't a great caller as he used hand calls most of the time. What made him great was understanding coyote structure in his areas so then he had more coyotes to call to. Les spent the summer month's custom combining all over the area so yeah he got the coyotes figured out pretty quick as to what they like and don't like.
Crinner and Fat Al are not great callers either, Al just happen to have fat pockets that could put him behind locked gates with plenty of fresh coyotes to call to.
Im not a great caller but I do have a better understanding of how coyotes think. I been calling to some of the most difficult coyotes there are and just way it is. I also don't get them all as some you just can't unlock there brain when I would like but know it can happen. keep after them and sometime something will click. Maybe just have to set up closer to them or come back at a different time like early spring or mid summer and so on. I'd rather spend time calling to that one if it sticks around than go elsewhere and find one little easier. Thats just me. Also that is the coyote if it clicks is the one you learn from.
On another note you can come here most anytime over winter and call coyotes but have to do it at night, I can even point them out for you. Lol Just be up to speed on use of coyote vocals and you'll have it licked. [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 02:01 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
My first day time coyote was killed around noon at easter time and have it all on film. It took about 200 day time stands to get her. Why? because I listen to everybody else that didn't live here. Oh you need to play bird distress or rabbit or jack rabbit, call less or call more or call continues. Been down all the roads.
What did I do or what changes did I make in order to get her. was pretty simple once I thought about it. I had my X-brand caller loaded with live sounds and shit load of coyote vocals. plus I stayed on stand longer than half hour.
Got her called in and filmed her and then came back exactly one year later and called her back in again and this time I shot her. I had to use same sounds and stay on stand longer than most guys do and been downhill ever since. Body langue of that female coyote was unreal, not sure how she kept her head on with all the twisting and turning twitching of her head. looking and listening and putting nose into the wind testing. she was a nervous wreck.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 03:54 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Higgins use to preach keep coyote vocals non-threatening and I use to live by that theory and killed a lot of coyotes by doing so. But always a few I just couldn't get by playing nice.

I had the toughest coyote I ever come up against in S.D., it would lay on top of a nice big hill so it could see all around and when I would sneak in to try and call it it would just sit on top of that hill and bark/howl back, never could get it to move and if I came back later and tried to get closer it would pop up on another hill still out of gun range, fucker was pretty difficult and once again just sit there and howl or bark. He always liked to look and try to see what was there and not sure if he could see me or not or maybe seen me come in.
I happen to have a foam archery coyote that was lifelike at same height and length that I used for ranging distances with my scope with the mil-dots and then right down what the distances was or number of dots for every 100 yards.
I decided to bring this decoy along and see if I could give this old bugger a visual and maybe get it to come as it wanted something to look at.
I got out to the coyotes location and made a sneak into a small hill and took decoy and caller and placed at top of hill so it could be noticed and then I moved down about halfway and laid on my side and started calling. Sure, enough there he pops up on the big hill looking in my direction so I played a few sounds and couldn't get it to move.
I talked with Bill about a week prior about some of his coyote vocals and also about this coyote and Bill suggested I try to just flat out piss it off and perhaps it would come.
So that's what I did I used all aggressive coyote vocals and pup whines and howls just make it sound like a little coyote was getting its ass kicked. Pretty soon it came of the big hill and moved closer to a smaller hill but coming in my direction and he was really getting pissed, with hackles raised and clawing at the ground. Soon he disappeared but I kept calling and next thing I know there he is out in front putting up a nice aggressive display. Chomping at the bit with sod/grass flying around. As he looked up at the decoy coyote, he gave me a nice throat shot so I laid one into him.
That was first time I used that decoy and the last time I ever had to bring it out. Another lesson learned from mister coyote. He was scared up with worn teeth and weighed around 43 pounds.
I showed the coyote to Roede, and he laughed about using the decoy and then said that a boy you are fitting the pieces to the puzzle together. Those are the type of hunts you remember for long time.
That same week was pretty nice and Roede said he be out working his ranches and said stop in every night and show off what I get. So every night i would drive to Roede's and show him what I got for the day and then he would show me his.
If I brought in 3 coyotes Randy would have 4-5 in back of truck so next day, I work little harder at it and bring five coyotes in, and he would have 6-7. Randy was always beating me by 2-3 coyotes but then again, he is a pro at it so he should. I can't help wonder if he maybe cheated a little and tossed in a few snared coyotes. LOL [Confused]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 04:07 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Tim, you’re something else I’m speechless.
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 04:33 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
relax and go put another coat of paint on. [Big Grin]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2024 04:38 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
👍🥱

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters