The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Test (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Test
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 05:10 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53607132865_dbaff9c964_w.jpg

Thor! Son of Uno

[ March 23, 2024, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 05:17 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53607132580_5188bfe5f8.jpg

Two of my pups catching bear

[ March 23, 2024, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 05:26 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53607132955_b80c605f73.jpg

Just some deer in thermal on bad night and far off.

[ March 23, 2024, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 05:29 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53606665396_01752f8158.jpg

Male coyote coming in on a string. WT in use.

[ March 23, 2024, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 05:30 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53606664471_59c1b25c3d_w.jpg

3 coyotes coming in on a string from over a mile. WT in use.

[ March 23, 2024, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 05:31 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53606877088_1d5137e523_w.jpg

Single coyote coming in on a string, WT in use.

[ March 23, 2024, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 05:32 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
https://live.staticflickr.com/31337/53606657891_b4fc625bb5_w.jpg

Single male coyote, my second called in since I bought the thermal. WT in use

[ March 23, 2024, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 05:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53606875073_2899ebe430_w.jpg

Uno! yeah, he has a few scars.

[ March 23, 2024, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 05:37 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53606875308_effb9ec6a2_w.jpg

Thor and Lazer spreading the love.

[ March 23, 2024, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 05:47 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53607131135_8434737f46_n.jpg

[ March 23, 2024, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 06:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The last photo actually looks like a hound. Do you dock the tails?

That's a fair size bear.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2024 08:36 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
No Leonard I don't dock tails, tails help keep them running in upright position like a boat rudder if you will.

Last dog is Moe he is a seal team member. Goes in quiet and makes catches in their beds. usually gets 2 or 3 a year in their beds. Buddy told me that's cheating, sure I said tell Moe that. Moe is most relaxed dog I have, can take him anywhere and have him around women and kids he like a big baby. But you put a coyote in front of him he a whole another animal.

Yes, that is a big bear for Wisc.. That bear walked and ran and stopped every so often to try and fight the pups. I believe they went something like 23 miles before the hounds finally caught up and help bay up the bear on the ground. I'm really proud of those two and what they have become.
I'm trying out a photo hosting site but can't get the videos to work or I could show you coyote behavior at night and how coyotes react from one caller to the next, it's not so black and white as some may think.

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 10:50 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
What is the significance of adding the "coming in on a string" to your dialog?
For christs sake, 90% of the coyotes I call come in on a string, their fucking hungry, and want to get to the rabbit before the neighbor does, whats so amazing about that statement with each of your photos?

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 03:03 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say Vic. Leonard told me to play nice.

um if you like to, go watch a handful of U-tube vid.s on thermal calling so we on same page and maybe if Leonard lets me I'll answer the question, not sure if it would make difference anyway.

[ March 24, 2024, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 03:50 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, but no thanks, nightime calling holds zero interest to me. Toss in using thermal imaging to see a fucking coyote and kill it and you put me in a boredom induced coma.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 06:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The "coming in on a string" comment actually wouldn't be very significant if all you do is day stands in prime country.

At night, the hereditary response of ALL coyotes is to circle downwind, the shortest direction and it does not matter how far away you pick them up but at a certain point, known only to the coyote, he will circle downwind, 90% of the time. It's unusual enough to have a single or a pair try to be the first to the rabbit and then you would probably refer to the approach as coming on a string. Extra hungry, maybe? I don't know?

But in open country where you can pick up eyes a half mile away, they circle to catch your wind the most direct way they can, but it's a parabola and they get incrementally closer until they come to exactly downwind, at which point they only hesitate for a few seconds, and as I am expecting this, I am spraying scent the whole time. If you wait to spray when he gets downwind, you are wasting your fucking time! You should have been spraying from when you first saw the critter, before he circles to catch "YOUR" wind.

As I have mentioned before but you guys never get it: you have about 5 seconds to shoot that coyote in the head before he disappears!

That's it, the whole theory of misting, in a nutshell. But under the circumstances, in wide open country under a NEW MOON, then it is well worth doing.

But since coyotes don't always bother to circle downwind in the daytime, it's a huge waste of Magic Mist, because he might come in on a string and you are dinking around with a bottle of coyote piss instead of drawing a bead on your quarry before he dodges behind a bush and gone forever.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 08:46 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard I don't call in the daytime, its unproductive here. The black spots in pictures is a coyote or coyotes at night looking through thermal. Reason coyotes is black is due to having setting on Hot black or I could change it to hot white (coyote appears white) then the ground would be darker.
Yes, some coyotes will tend to circle downwind at night if you are using certain coyote vocals. and for another reason, but I'll skip that.
I used to think that coyotes liked some sort of cover to come in on if its available but find that's not the case when calling open ground. But what they do like is some sort of shadow to come in under, can be a row of trees, the edge of a wood lot or it can be a shallow drainage or water way going through a field they will stay on shaded side of the drainage when the moon is out and casting a shadow. No moon they may cross open ground or take to shallow drainage, depends on coyotes' security level, I guess.
If a shallow drainage runs left to right the coyote will follow it to where it flattens out or opens up and then take a look, often times the drainage will take them too downwind as well. If i have nephew along he sits at end of shallow drainage. I won't mention callers but if I can get the coyotes excited enough or mad, they just come in on a string and ignore the shallow ground, when they do this then I don't need another shooter along. The old rabbit blues is a hit and miss sound, so I don't use it much except maybe early on a stand after they been spotted, I'll give them a little rabbit and if they stop and turn to leave, I get their mind changed onto another sound. Just the way it is. Vole mouse works pretty good but not a silver bullet here either except with the young stuff. Helps to know roughly the age of what you calling to, makes life little easier. But also use that sound early if they come then I leave the caller on if not then onto plan -c-.
If Rabbit distress works in your areas, then I'm happy for you but it's not the case here.
Circling downwind cause coyote is unsure of itself and what's out there. I always try to give it something it can handle, younger coyote vocals, coyote pups fighting a deer, raccoon or red fox.(vole mouse) If I'm dealing with a group then I want to flat out piss them off and create a terr. response and bring them in on a string!(center of sound cone) I rotate between callers, or a few times use them both and there is a pattern on how they react to either and enough to tell me what's going on with my coyotes.
I even talk with other top callers in my state, and we exchange info on what's what or what we see. One of my friends uses 3 callers and what area he calls dictates what caller he will use for a stand, another friend switches between just two callers. I also doubt you could talk them into leaving all but one at home, just way it is.
I will also tell you this a certain X-brand caller will dam near guarantee a downwind approach every time on a nightstand.
When X-brand caller is used I have to set it farther up wind so when they circle, I can still have them in range for a shot when they pop up.
Believe what you like I don't care as you don't live here and what I'm doing is getting coyotes in so I can kill them.
Coyotes can't multitask and suffer from brain lock/mind set, they get their mind locked in on something then you unlock it with something else.
Coyote comes in then stops 300 yards out and looks like right at you and just stares and is locked onto where you are something may have caught its eye, so you turn caller back on and give it something to unlock its mind and change it to something else. People behave the same way when something bothers them, they get a mindset that can go on for few minutes or last all week till something pops up and changes it to where they forget about it. At work if we deal with a employee like that we ask him to count backwards from five or just change subject to something else. I get it once in a while and my boss will drive up and ask me how coyote hunting was last season and click, I forget all about a stupid truck-driver. LOL Its same game with coyotes. [Big Grin]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2024 09:57 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Classic! Tim giving Leonard the run down on how to be a successful night caller. You can’t make this stuff up.🙄🥱
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2024 10:11 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
nope just saying its not same or what i see here. try counting back from 5 to 0 Chad.

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2024 10:24 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol … 😂 ok Tim. If I had the time or gave a shit I would head back with my Lucky Duck and show you how to call those unproductive areas during the day. But looks like you got the night thing figured out. Good on ya!!!

Good Hunting Chad

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2024 10:48 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Day time coyotes far off can be tuff to see or watch as they approach even when looking through pair of bino's. Thermal just makes it that much easier to watch them and see how they react or don't react. So, in other words you see more of what's going on with an approaching coyote. Leonard hunted at night from back of a truck and then looked for eyes with his lights then what held the light above coyote so it was at bottom of the halo and then followed it with light till he could get a shot? It would be like tunnel vision and all you see is the eyes or shadow of the coyote.
With thermal the coyote lights, up as soon as you can pick it up when you scan, can be a half mile or little more and can watch the coyote the whole time less it ducks behind a small hill. Many times, you don't have to wait for a coyote to stop and look back to see if its mate is coming, with thermal you already know. Can sit on a stand and watch coyotes filter in from all directions no back door crap like you see on a day stand or at night with a light. Thermal not for everyone and some areas it may be useless if too much cover, it cuts into your sleep time as well. LOL
I think Shaw mentioned using a scanner during the day and would be an advantage to have along if calling in cat country especially if you have a hard time picking one out sitting by any bushes.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted March 25, 2024 11:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hold on there, Chad!

I'm going to have that advice laminated for my wallet! That way, I can reference it when something happens that I've never seen before! (check my sig line)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2024 11:14 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
😂👍
Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2024 11:21 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Monday test for the curious to see if it may be applicable here.

Dunning-Kruger Effect

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2024 11:21 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If I had the time or gave a shit I would head back with my Lucky Duck and show you how to call those unproductive areas during the day.
Don't need to show me anything. It's pretty simple math if want to call it that. Example; Coyotes terr. is say five miles and you have fresh coyote sign around. Most times a coyote will be with in 2 miles of its core area or hunt area. You set up and call the area sooner or later you going to get on them if you cover the 5 mile area they don't just disappear like ghosts. And even some of the pressured coyotes will at least howl or show themselves from far of hill. If you have a breeding pair of coyotes, there should be 2 coyotes plus the litter of pups 5-8. Nighttime locate will give you the answer to what's there and can also tell you where they are bedding up for the day in a pressured area.
Before I come up with excuses, I cover all the bases if I want them bad enough. If daytime pressure is all that's holding them back well then, its time to get a thermal. Only two things on a coyote's mind is eating and surviving.
Coyotes don't have groc. stores so they have to go find their food, they have to protect the areas that hold food/prey so they can eat and survive.
I've called over dead cattle that have been fed on by coyotes during the night, their bellies are full but yet they will still respond to a call to protect that food supply. (terr. response)
Don't get a response over dead cow that's been fed on then move farther out as the dead cow may not be close to its core area but the coyote will be somewhere inside its five-mile terr. you can bank on that.

You don't know your coyotes terr. size then Like Randy Roede told me you go out and locate to find them at different times of the night. You'll find them early in their bedding areas and out hunting as night goes on, come early morning they be in bedding area or close to it on way back to it. Locate them before you draw any excuses.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters