The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Wounded Knee, SD area

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wounded Knee, SD area
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2011 04:30 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I may get to go out there and coyote hunt a little later this year. Never been anywhere near there, any of you familiar with the area.

I might get to hunt other stuff too, I don't know all the details yet, other than a friend of my brothers has a friend that lives out there and own/operates a hunting lodge or such.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2011 08:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd get ahold of Randy Roade or Scott Huber, if I were you. They should know. South Dakota seems like a yes and no country, as far as coyotes are concerned. When I was there I did not see a lot of responses, as I'm used to, called in a pair one time, otherwise singles and some dry holes. That's what I saw, and I didn't see all of it but I understand Randy has a good population, in his district. Even TA might know Wounded Knee, it's on the Rosebud Res, I think?

Good luck, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2011 09:44 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
If you hunt on the Res. you will need a trible Lic. and I think you may have to have a Indian guide if you shoot P.D... There are coyotes around but you may have to work for them, if you know how to locate them then youre off to a good start. Youre friends should be able to get you headed in the right direction.. The grass lands farther west are pretty good for coyotes also.. Good luck...

P.S. Best to stay at youre friends lodge or off of the Res., Kadoka is a nice friendly town and plenty of sites to see around the area as well...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2011 10:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, don't miss Walls Drug!

And, they even have a seven lane bowling alley in Kadoka. Cattle auction every day, too.

gh/lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2011 06:11 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
The wounded knee incident was on the Pine Ridge reservation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Ridge_Indian_Reservation#The_1970s:_Protest_and_violence

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2011 10:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My mistake, Rich. I couldn't think of it, at the time, give me an old fart pass, okay buddy? A rez is a rez, when you have seen one you have seen them all. Like they say, turn them upside down and they are all sisters.

I think I have a standing invite to hunt pheasants up there, gonna happen one of these days. Is it legal to shoot them with an 835? I'm going to buy a Benelli when I win the Loto, but until then. I always forget to cycle the action because I seldom miss. I just wish I had never sold my 11-47, or was it 48? I forget how much, but it wasn't enough? Every damned gun I ever sold, I regret it later.

gh/lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2011 02:32 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I couldn't remember the name of that reservation, so I googled it. [Big Grin] I have been on the Rosebud, but not Pine Ridge.. I went fishing on the Rosebud with a friend. We used a dugout that the Indians had made. The thing had a round bottom just like a tree, and I found out real quick that those things tip over easy. The water in that Dam was COLD. Nice bass in there though.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2011 06:13 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, never hunted the Pine Ridge Res. don't know for sure what a person needs to hunt there. The guide or no guide deal is a hassle plus the license. If you could find some white man land just off it there should be good numbers of coyotes etc.

Again not my little neck of the woods so I can't say for sure.

Pine Ridge is the poorest place in the U.S. if memory serves me right. Can get rowdy on the res. towns. They just had a deal on TV about the gangs on the Pine Ridge.

Watch yourn top knot!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2011 05:50 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
If you are serious about calling in the Wounded Knee area, you would be well advised to buy both a state and tribal license since the land is checkerboarded. Wounded Knee is on the Pine Ridge Reservation.

It's important to realize that in many cases Tribal wardens do not honor state licenses within the interior boundaries of the reservation even on deeded (white) land. Guys have been harrassed for not having tribal licenses even when hunting with a state license on deeded land. There is also jurisdiction issues surrounding law enforcement such as state Conservation Officers not having jurisdiction on tribal lands and tribal wardens not having jurisdiction but claiming jurisdiction on deeded lands.

Tribal, trust, and allocated lands are all considered tribal lands under tribal jurisdiction.

Due to the checkerboarding between tribal and deeded land in the Wounded Knee area, you would be well advised to get both state and tribal licenses then you are covered. Lots of great calling on tribal lands if the coyote population has recovered from mange in that area.

I don't think you need a guide for coyote hunting but tribal regulations can become opinions that change. Lots of discretion is used when it comes to tribal law or tribal opinion.

When both Leonard and Randy Shaw were hunting in south central western SD, the coyote population was at an all time low particularly along the White River corridor. If you want to find coyotes in numbers in SD, you need to go to the places where they kill over 100 coyotes per day with the airplane. It's a lot easier to rack up impressive numbers where you have impressive numbers.

One of the highest historic populations of coyotes in SD was in the Gregory Burke area. In recent years, you were hard pressed to find a coyote in that area due to mange. It was much the same way here for many years. The coyote take in the Martin coyote calling contest reflected those declining populations.

In contrast, the coyote population along the Cheyenne River was not hit as hard with mange as the population along the White River. Why? I have no idea.

~SH~

IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2011 08:59 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, Scott, everyone else, thanks.

Thanks for the heads up about tribal police and 1ndian law.

This is being set up by a friend of my brother. I was told that it is not on the Rez. Looks like they are trying to set this up around Labor day weekend. Don't know why that time frame was picked. We're supposed to stay at the owners lodge. Believe I was told that this is a big game lodge, and they could care less about coyotes, prairie dogs, and the like.

Guess I'll have to study some maps and such.

[ June 05, 2011, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------

BangPop
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3876

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2011 06:36 AM      Profile for BangPop           Edit/Delete Post 
New member here but wanted to comment on the Wounded Knee area. I have coyote hunted that area for 30 years and I have never seen the coyote numbers as low as they are now. The mange started in pretty heavy about 7 or 8 years ago and the numbers have been in decline ever sense. I suppose they will rebuild but this has drug on for way longer that I thought possible.
Posts: 28 | From: Gallatin Gateway, Montana | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2011 06:47 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine!

Just kidding. We are wanting to shoot some of the other little critters like prairie dogs too, if we can find them.

--------------------

BangPop
Member # 3876

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2011 08:16 AM      Profile for BangPop           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the warm welcome. No sunshine or clouds from me, just the facts. All I was trying to do is give you a little bit of information about the area you were inquiring about.
Posts: 28 | From: Gallatin Gateway, Montana | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ken
will be missed
Member # 3065

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2011 08:58 AM      Profile for Ken   Email Ken         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan just make sure to bring at least 3 rifles with you. Short,medium,long range and do your part. TAKE lots of pictures.

--------------------
I am 5'10",an asshole 220% for sure. Former dirty deed doer for PM. Corrupt too! My name is Festus.

Posts: 281 | From: High Desert | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2011 09:12 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Bangpop, just goofing with you, [Smile] not trying to be ornery. I do appreciate all the good advice I get.

Ken, I always take a few rifles with me. Especially when I go to AZ Land. I usually end up selling one. Vic can attest to that.

Don't plan on selling any out in SD though. I think those Democrats in congress are already working on closing the DanS gun selling loophole. I'm getting an empty gunsafe anyways.

[ July 24, 2011, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2011 10:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New HuntmastersBBS.com BangPop. Glad to have you on board.

You know how it is when you don't know the area, and someone else that does know is driving you around?

Well, I saw parts of SD a couple years ago spending time with Wily E and I was very surprised at the low numbers of coyotes......wherever we were?

I assumed the reason was because he does a superior job at suppression? Mange, whatever? Still, the country looks like it should hold a lot more than it does?

Now, I heard that where Randy Roade's area is located, he has a high population? I must not have been there?

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

J_hun
Member # 872

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2011 10:55 AM      Profile for J_hun   Author's Homepage   Email J_hun         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never hunted on the Pine Ridge reservation simply because things can get pretty unstable there as Scott said. Very unpredictable area. I would consider the Rosebud reservation before Pine Ridge reservation. Sometimes it can be kinda hard finding a place that sells predator license. It used to be that a guide was required to hunt coyotes, but I think that requirement has been dropped. The reservation is checker-boarded with with private land and tribal. Get an updated map that shows what is what. Most people will let you hunt coyotes, but a lot of the landowners are reluctant to let you hunt until after deer season. My advice is to go later , like in Jan. Once you find a place to hunt , the landowner will have rancher friends that will let you on also. My advice is stay away from Pine Ridge.
Posts: 141 | From: Pierre,S.D. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2011 11:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That advice could apply to several Arizona Reservations, as well. I had a heck of a time finding the F&G office in Kayenta, on the Navajo res. After that, no problem whatsoever, people might see you on stand and hardly even blink, but might wave?

On the other hand, there are reservations that are more like East Germany, you get the fish eye and stopped all day long. Well, East Germany, before reunification, have not been there since.

So, which res is Scott on, or "in"? close to Kadoka?

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

BangPop
Member # 3876

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2011 11:48 AM      Profile for BangPop           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the welcome Leonard. First time I hunted the Pine Ridge it was 1980/81 and the coyotes were racing each other to get to the call. It's sad to me to see the low numbers that there are today. I still "hunt" that area simply because I have friends there and I want to keep my finger on the pulse of the place. If my intent is to kill big numbers, I have other places where that is possible. I don't really understand the duration of the mange in that area. Another area that I hunt the mange started after it did on the Pine Ridge and has already about burned itself out. It lasted about 4 years there. The Pine Ridge has been close to 10.
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2011 03:47 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
mange hit our red fox about 1992ish and they still have'nt recovered. was not uncommon to go out for the day and see 30+. there have been days in the last coupla years when i would put on 200 miles and not see 1
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters