The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Weather (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Weather
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2016 04:44 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Leonard, will take a 1/4 lb.er over a Big Mac. But, a Whopper over both...

16°F this morning here, and the news would have ya believe that hell is about to freeze over! Heck, this is barely jacket weather!

"Buncha slack jaw'd faggots round 'hea..."

-quoted from the greatest movie of all time

Linky to movie scene

[ December 16, 2016, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2016 05:47 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
How much snow you got Fred.
Going to get down to 7 above with wind chills below zero Saturday here in Oklahoma, first chance of snow this winter.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2016 05:48 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the double post. Can't figure out how to delete one of them.

edit: that's what they pay me to do. Keeps me out of those Honky Tonks, hustling women. El Bee

[ December 16, 2016, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2016 06:16 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No snow down here on the island, Eddie!

Prolly a foot and a half on the ground, up at the farm. And its 20 degrees colder up there (no ocean to buffer that cold air)
Think it was like -4 at the farm, last night...

[ December 16, 2016, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2016 03:40 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, glad to help you out Leonard.
Fred that -4 tem. reminds me of the first day I went to work after leaving college. It was January 3rd 1977 the tem. was -3 that morning.

MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2016 06:08 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the current forecast for my area. No worries for a white Christmas.

Winter Storm Warning in effect from 1 am Saturday to 1 am EST
Sunday...

* Winds gusting as high as 35 mph will also cause considerable blowing
and drifting snow... especially near Lake Superior.

* Total snow accumulations of 6 to 14 inches are expected.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2016 06:44 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel bad for those who really have to deal with wind & cold. We all complain around these parts, till' ya hear about -20 then wind chills in other areas.

Locally about a foot of snow here in the last week. Temp with current wind chill 3 degrees.

Oddly we've had some freezing rain to settle the snow. Yeah, that's real comforting [Razz]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2016 01:10 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I sure don't miss that cold. Had to put a jacket on yesterday cause the wind got a bit chilly. Sure beats Ruth weather by a factor of about at least a million.
Bet by this time next year I'll be singing a different tune once I get climatized to this place,LOL.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2016 06:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Walt, I always felt that Austin was the coldest little town in Nevada. It's where a sheet of black ice almost sent me and Pat over the edge one morning. Always see gray fox around there.

You know, Austin is a waypoint for planes on the polar route from Europe. Probably have to go by there to avoid Area 51? I'm pretty sure it's right on the continental divide, you know, water flows left towards the Pacific or right down the Mississippi. Kind of a unique place. Might still be in Nye County, not sure 'bout that?

Don't miss that weather? Just think, if you hunted at night, like I do! I mean, it's really brutal. Cold, high pressure and the coyotes are running on a new moon! Don't get any better.

I think you will start missing Nevada before long?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2016 07:26 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Supposed to be -1 where I'm pitching my tent tonight. And strangely, because I hate the cold, I'm actually glad of it. Only because I hate mud more than cold.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2016 08:22 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you on that one Dave.

I'd take 25 degrees all winter long rather than the just above freezing stuff and the slop that goes with it. We have had a longer than average stretch this winter already with the temp not getting above freezing and I'll take it.

For my bitch though, normally we have several weeks of the snow-depth building, which gives me a window of time to get to places to hunt that eventually snow out, making them inaccessible.

Not this year. It came in one big blast and many spots I didn't get to and likely won't anymore.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2016 09:26 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that's what I like about that sheep camp. Get out pretty close to when we are calling and get a nice fire started in the camp and sleep comfortably all night. Is little shocking when first get out of the camp when its below zero though.lol

[ December 17, 2016, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2016 02:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that thing where the sun melts on a grade and you don't pay much attention going down. A few hours later when you have reached the absolute end of the trail and want to get the hell out of there, but guess what? That slush has frozen solid and you can't get up the damned grade! I always pack two sets of chains in the winter, almost never use but one. However, sure feels good. My Titan, I only pack cables, much lighter. I hate the part where you put them on. Up in the local mountains, Big Bear, Arrowhead, etc. they have pull over spots the CHP designates and there are young fellas that will apply your chains to get to the ski areas, for a small fee. that's money well spent, I think.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Chad, quit talking like a pussy! Just kidding. I think I'm jealous of that sheep camp.

[ December 17, 2016, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2016 05:14 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
What also gets me is this wind chill, shit. Poor ol' Cal. I noticed Gillette was -37 wind chill this morning.

I posted last night we were 3 degrees with wind chill. Must have been 20 above ? Anyway this morning went out to do some quick chores.

It was 2 above, sunny & calm. It felt like summer compared to the day before. Go figure that out ?

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2016 05:46 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard I really have become a pussy in recent years. The days of staying in a tent in cold temps are long gone for me. Used to do it all the time didn't think anything of it, now not so much.lol
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2016 06:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I should change your custom title, with that admission!

But, I won't. I still admire honesty.... Pus

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: the temperature here is 52* but at least 51 with the wind chill! Brrr!

[ December 17, 2016, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2016 07:00 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
What brand of camp do you have UT? I've been quietly watching for a used Wilson or Timberline for years, but never seem to come up with one. They have got me priced out on new.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2016 07:25 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal it is WIlson. Damn nice camp for sure. We've had it around 7 years not a lot of luxury stuff but very efficient and well thought out. You can customize alot of stuff too. We bought ours New for $19,000 but like I said that was about 7 or 8 years ago.

[ December 17, 2016, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2016 07:48 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
They are the way to go, for sure. I've found a few that were either too far gone, or too much money. I've spent a little time in one and what a nice way to camp!

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2016 08:33 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
They really are nice. But you need to be sure you don't stoke the fire to much before you go to sleep, I did that one night when it was below zero, and I woke up a couple hours later and it was almost 90 degrees in the camp and I was throwing blankets off.lol But its better then freezing all night.
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2016 06:02 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Got up this morning, tem. was -1 with the wind chill at -14. We got a little snow but the wind speed got up to 40mph blew a lot of the snow away, weather man said it was the coldest day in 3 years.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2016 06:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that you mention it, $19,000 does seem a little steep considering what you get in a 5th wheel or any other conventional trailer. I don't know shit, and maybe you are paying for that well thought out design, the axle configuration and they way it's towed? Maybe it's built like the proverbial brick shithouse?

And, I understand, that was 8 years ago and things probably cost more now? It's a Cadillac ride, so to speak, but I've seen trailers that size in comparison, and side by side they are half the price. And, I paid close attention to the skill required in maneuvering that thing in and out of a gas station; gotta go with your A game.

But no getting around it, it's a damned nice rig. Sounds like not many available for resale, probably snapped up right away? Don't see many on the road, at least I don't.

APB, be on the lookout, Cal needs one! Wonder if anybody rents them?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2016 06:30 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Those 5th wheels are nice for summer and early fall excursions but when the temps. drop they are a piece of shit. They are not well insulated at all. I've talked to guys that have taken them out when it was really cold and they used both tanks of propane to heat it in a couple days and still got cold all night. lol Its all about the efficiency. [Wink]

[ December 18, 2016, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2016 06:41 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
And speaking to them being in demand. We were on a waiting list to have ours built. Think it was about a year from when we went on the list until we ended up getting it.
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2016 08:23 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Chads right. I think the average RV had something like a R5 or R7 insulation factor ?

Lance campers used to be considered somewhat of a cold weather rig. I think their walls were R10 insulated ?

-4 here feels like -4

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters