The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Weather (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Weather
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2017 07:50 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Expecting to see the first rattlesnake of spring any day now.

[Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2017 06:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Most exciting after dark, barefoot.

Did I ever tell you about the time I caught a small rattler with my bare hands? Yeah, I can't believe I did it, either. But, at the time, you know how that is? So, he was trying to get away from me and went up a slippery, sandy slope and was not making any headway, kind of like running up a down escalator? Or, maybe like he was on a treadmill but I was close and watching him struggle, but he was getting nowhere. I just reached out like as if I was catching a frog. I mean, I wasn't drunk or anything, and I was in my underwear, since I had just got up to take a piss.

Then, I let him go, just tossed him down the hill, which upon reflection might have been just as stupid since we were camped there a couple more days. I'm just as inclined to kill rattlers as to ignore them, depending on my mood.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: did I ever tell you about the time I was climbing a boulder incline and had to sling the rifle and use both hands? Well, there he was, on top of a flat rock, and me, between neck and chest height. I had to be very careful, but I unslung the gun nervously and smashed him with the butt end. I could have fallen at least ten feet by letting go of my handholds, but just got lucky. Believe me, it was the worst situation I was ever in, with a snake....but not by much. LB

[ March 15, 2017, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31478 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2017 07:10 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
So it was 75-80 this weekend here. Doing some routine yard work. I unraveled a waterhose from one of those stupid hose reels, and as it was turning..(rather fast cause I was pissed and in a hurry so I spun the shit out of it) for a split second in time I saw a black widow spider clinging to the hose, somewhere in the coil, weird..split second later she popped off of the spinning hose, and landed on the back of my right hand. Cool trick I thought. I think we were both stunned as a staredown ensued...then I flicked her off onto the ground and mashed her.

Adventure is where you find it I guess.
Mark

[ March 15, 2017, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2017 04:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Black widows are very common around here, the latest is the Brown Widow, they act, (and look) completely different. I'm ruthless concerning just about any spider.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2017 07:25 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder how Fred fared in New Yawk with the blizzard.

Crazy weather here in Kansas..80's to snow in the same week.

Supposed to be 90 here Sunday.

Never seen a Black Widow, but we have the nasty little Brown Recluse spiders that dissolve your skin and tissues.

Dumb question...can a Black Widow bite be fatal to a human??

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2017 07:47 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you can. Most times I think it is not super serious but it can happen.

When I was a teen, I thought it was a good idea to race stock cars around a dirt track..and one evening at the races, a guy that was hanging out in the pits, where all the beer drinking was going on, went to use the (homemade) port a potty, and I do not know what this guy did, but he was bitten by a black widow...on the tip of his penis...and damn near died. He was so sick and in so much pain for weeks he wished he was dead. Ill never forget that, so wierd.

I hate spiders.
Mark

[ March 16, 2017, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2017 09:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion is the bite and the poison is overrated. But, as when a person has some type of allergic reaction to a bee or wasp sting, it can and (probably) has happened.

That's a bazaar (sp) story, Mark.... I don't know?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2017 09:31 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, the storm dodged west & spared the island. Maybe we got 6-8" of snow, tops, with a changeover to sleet. Made for kind of a mess when it all froze over. If you didn't shovel/plow before the freeze, it'd be a hard time of things...

Talked to our farmer neighbor upstate, they got 3 friggin' feet!!!

P.S. I got a brown spider bite on my hand, about 18yrs ago. Wound up it got infected & my hand swelled up like a catcher's mitt! Came very close to being admitted to the hospital, but a few injections of Rocephin kicked in & did the trick. After the swelling finally went down, about 1/3 of the skin off the backside of my hand peeled off...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2017 10:33 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
But did you gain any superpowers of any kind?

--------------------

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2017 01:03 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Got bit on the inside of the right leg calf by a Hobo spider. By night it was burning and the around the bit was decaying(didn't know it at the time). Anyway one doc looked at it and gave me some so so antibiotics. Didn't do much.
They reopened our clinic and got a gun ho PAC and she numbed it up opened the bit up to make sure there wasn't a pocket of poison in there. Put me on some wicked pricey antibiotics and slowly got over it. Still have the brown scar the size of a nickel. Be careful of moving wood piles. Hobo's related to Brown Recluse. I reacted to the bite.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2017 04:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little, my dad was stationed at George Army Air Corps Base in Adelanto. So, I was about 2 or 3? Anyway, I used to go out it the desert and fight japs, according to my mother. Apparently, in those days, they never thought that anybody would harm a kid, and they didn't.

But she said that I used to get black widow bites all the time while out playing under the oleanders. Apparently, black widows love our ubiquitous freeway ornamental shrubs?

Anyway, they say I must have antibodies and if somebody has an acute reaction, that I could be an effective donor. But, since then, I don't believe I have been bitten.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2017 03:59 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, no special powers Mark, LOL!

It happened down in South Carolina, on a hunting trip. Seems I made things ALOT worse, after 'popping' the inflamed bite wound as if it were a pimple. Doc mentioned that was not a smart move!
Went to hospital down there, and straight back to ER after driving back home. In those 12-14 hrs, started to get purple tracks running up my wrist, which is a sign of septicemia. Hence, almost being admitted...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2017 06:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's probably what I would have done? Excising an infected wound is usually an effective homebrew solution and I'm pretty sure the medical profession would disagree. They have inordinate faith in antibiotics to cure, and if that don't work they shrug and pull the sheet over your head.

quote:
septicemia
I assume means blood poisoning? I had it as a kid when I kicked a rusty spear barb in the shin and ignored it until I had a fever. It didn't bleed much and that was the problem. The treatment was borax solution poured onto a gauze patch to keep the wound from scabbing so it would heal from the inside....or something? But I had the red tracer lines up my leg, etc. Of course, I still have a scar that looks a bit like a bullet hole.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2017 07:18 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yessir, those tracks show the onset of blood poisoning. Not a good situation!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters