The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » I'm in the mood for rant against the system (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I'm in the mood for rant against the system
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2024 08:20 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
What has me really mad is my chevy truck.  It isn't really Chevy's fault that demented  Joe has been pushing internal combustion engine emission levels down and Corporate Average Fuel Economy requirements (aka: CAFE) up. With that said I do blame GM engineers for putting me into a really tough situation.   What they didn't do is install a cooling system cap on the radiator and a bleed point like they did in the earlier duramax engines.

I watched some youtube videos looking for things like a vent location/s which my engine doesn't have.  My truck has a two compartment coolant reservoir tank with a cap for each compartment on the passenger side firewall.  The two caps are different so they made one with right hand threads and one with left hand threads.
Everybodies video on my type of engine used a vacufill to put the coolant in.  What a vacufill does is it puts the cooling system into a vacuum at around 27 inches.  After you have achieved that much vacuum you have a valve with a clear 1/2 inch hose stuck into a 5 gallon pale with the proper mix of coolant, and you simply open the valve.   I own two different vacufill tool kits.
First off, I have never had to add coolant to this truck. When I tried to put the system into vacuum I could only get 2" which means I have a very small leak under vacuum in the cooling system with no known way of adding coolant to the truck. I have ordered a special cooling system test adapter with left hand threads so I can pressure test the system.   I have special tools to check crazy things like a smoke machine. I've ordered a bottle of smoke machine oil that has a UV medium in it.   My plan is to add UV smoke at the intake port on my stant pressure tester and hopefully I can pinpoint the leak. 

I am afraid the dealership will simply guess and  replace known problem cooling system gaskets and seals.  Some of these items may require lifting the cab up.  This would have been so simple if they would have added a bleed port if needed and a radiator cap.

I"m bringing this up because as the car/truck manufacturers keep having to over-engineer the internal combustion engine and design Rube Goldberg 10 speed transmissions we have mechanics leaving the trade.  These damn engineers are putting vbelts inside the crankcase to drive oil pumps  which have to be replaced 150,000 miles and cost about $1,800.  Ford has installed an engine with the water pump behind the timing chains, the variable valve timing systems, and timing cover.  What a stupid  $2,000 idea.

[ April 13, 2024, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Aznative ]

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1930 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2024 10:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel your pain, Amigo. What you describe is usual Ford engineering enhanced by overblown environmental concerns. Are you serious? A vee belt inside the crankcase?

That's almost as bad as my favorite Suburban gas tank filter needing replacement at 100,000 miles. And, how do they get at the gas tank for this routine maintenance? It's worse than replacing the fuel pump!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31508 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2024 11:06 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
CAT has been making radiators without the fill cap for some time, just keep the reservoir full... Or just buy a used Toyota Tacoma and stick 10K into it instead of buying a new truck.

[ April 13, 2024, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5103 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2024 02:33 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
This video is about the 3.0 chevy duramax oil pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxGu1pIJeGo

This video is all about a Ford better idea!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER09MMs-0VQ

This video is a ford v6 with the water pump behind the timing chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRRXwv7ti4M

[ April 15, 2024, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Aznative ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2024 03:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Ford use to be my go-to truck but now I prefer Toyotas. Ford or chevy you need about 8000.00 worth of tools to fix dam things and a big enough garage to work on them as well. They also got too much crap under the hood that has to be removed just to get at a spark plug. Or the whole cab or front end needs to be removed. Fuck that!

I switched over to Toyota Tacoma's back in 2012 and never looked back. I own two of them, one for hauling dogs around and other for work or trips.
If warning light goes off, I go to repair shop and hook it to a computer reader and find out source of problem and then go online and order my own parts and replace the bad.
Got a free frame inspection on a 10-year-old Tacoma and also free undercoating, then year later got part of drive train replaced also for free. And also got rear leaf- springs replaced free of charge... I have about 200,000 miles on each truck.
Also, the way prices have skyrocketed on new trucks I'm just going to keep what I have and just do an overhaul/restore when I need it plus just replace interior when time comes.

--------------------

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2024 08:27 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you TA.. I purchased a 2020 Toyota 4 Runner for my wife. I'm driving a 97 dodge dakota with a 5.2 liter v8 and 4x4 with 250,000 miles on it. The engine is still strong and it handles well. The 4 runner will be paid off in about one year, and then I am going to purchase for myself a Toyota Tundra with low mileage and within 2018 - 2021 model years. The 2022 and later Tundras have the twin turbo V6 and a 10 speed automatic transmission. I say not thank you to the newer Tundras. I doubt they will live as long as the 5.7 Iforce V8 with a 6 speed automatic. If I find one I like with a standard transmission and an ignition key, I would be willing to pay a higher price. I believe in the KISS principle ( AKA: Keep It Simple Stupid).

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2024 12:06 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
The Japanese do make good trucks. And they are very reliable even when abused. I have had my Nissan Titan 4x4 for 15 years and it has 235,000 miles on it. I have just done the basic maintenance and it has been a great truck.

Before that I had a Mazda B2600 4x4 that I had for 19 years and it had 243,000 before it gave up the ghost. Same thing just basic maintenance.

I’m thinking real hard about getting me a Toyota Tacoma here soon. If the trend continues It will probably be the last truck I own.

Good Hunting Chad

[ April 24, 2024, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1635 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2024 12:15 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
From my own experience and from what I read the Toyota V-6 is the best engine out there for its size.
But have to say if a guy plans to pull a camper or big boat then a full-size truck be much better.

I bought a used yard tractor a few years back with a loader on it in Sioux falls S.D. and rented a big ass trailer to bring it home with. Lot of weight behind that little truck but I made it to Sioux falls.
I got tractor loaded up and balanced the load then headed for home. The trip went pretty smooth cept when I had to go up and over some big hills.
I used my hunting truck as it had a 2" lift with 5 speed manual Trany. Had to get the speed built up so I could make the hills and did ok but not something I would want to do on a daily basis.
I have to change oil today on one of them. Crawl under and drain the oil and remove oil filter from up on top in engine compartment. I like the filter location, easy to reach.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2024 05:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You failed to inform the Peanut Gallery as to the maker of this underpowered vehicle?

You only get a C+ for your grade, on this report. I hope you do better next time!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2024 05:40 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
If referring to me it's a Toyota Tacoma, 4 door with short bed. For recorded its also not under powered if you get the V-6 models. I have two of them by the way. [Razz]

They handle nice on the paved roads as well as the dirt roads or even snow. Nice for short trips or even a long trip if not hauling a big family along.
It wasn't built or meant for pulling big loads. The tractor and trailer I pulled home weighed more than the truck. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Razz]

DAA always talked about his Jeeps, but thing is you buy one then you have to go get the parts to modify it for off road use as that's all they good for.
I been looking around for a night rig for calling and been looking at jeeps but find most of the used ones have frame problems up here in my country, bent or rusted out. And they don't give the best ride either.
The jeep pickup looks like it was made in Mexico and looks like mostly tin if you can call it that.
Road salt is not a jeeps friend!

--------------------

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2024 06:55 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
As a retire auto/truck mechanic, I hate Jeeps. My grandson has a Grand Cherokee, and it sucks IMHO.

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2024 12:24 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have any thoughts on the Nissan Frontier 4wd two door ?????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7601 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2024 12:30 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
They are good looking for sure. And if they are anything like the Titan I think you would be happy.
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2024 01:08 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
My company had one they auctioned off to employees, so I looked into them. starting bid was 4000.00.

They have had some issues with anti-freeze getting into tranny due to seal or o-ring. This kind of scared me so I offered 3000.00 under start bid. They said my bid was under but would keep it in mind. another employee offered starting bid and no one else bid on it so I lost out. LOL
There are a few around my part of country but looks like Toyota is staying right up there in market with ford and chevy, and GMC. Dodges don't count.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2024 02:35 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the tranny / radiator leak was an issue from '05 thru '07.
I'm looking into various mid-sized two door 4wd trucks. Toyotas are great; the one that I had (22R engine) went to 400,000 miles without major issues. Sadly, there's no Toyota dealer nearby. We do have a Nissan dealer. Thinking something used / about 75,000 miles on it. The Chevy that I'm driving is not going to last forever and I want to have cash & research on hand when the time comes. Knowledge is power and all that.

A Jeep is not even a consideration. I once bought a new CJ7 Laredo that spent more time in the shop than in my driveway. Then the warranty ran out. Sold it with 13,000 miles on it and good riddance.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7601 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2024 04:44 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
My closest Toyota dealer is 60 miles in either direction but do have a local repair shop that can fix most anything on them if needed. Minor stuff I do myself.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2024 08:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, who makes a decent hunting rig? My Dodge Power Wagon had about 500,000 miles on it and was getting tired. I sold my 2004 Titan when it started having problems, it had around 150,000 miles.

I rented a new Jeep, I think maybe it was a Grand Cherokee? I pulled off a graded road somewhere south of Phoenix and IMMEDIATELY got it stuck-high centered. I had nothing but a big knife to scoop the undercarriage and decided that fucker had zero ground clearance, needed to be strictly on the pavement, and without ice or rain. I never did have a positive attitude towards Jeep products and that little episode didn't help. In fact, it didn't impress me on the highway, either!

What I drive now is a SUV Infiniti QX60 and it's not a bad vehicle, great on the highway! Has a selector from Economy to Sport Not saying it's good in the dirt, I have not done a lot of it so can't really say? It's a lot better vehicle than that Jeep SUV POS!

I had a Nissan pickup, 1980 4 wheel drive and that fucker would go almost anywhere! Maybe I'd still be driving it but I was rear ended by a school bus that bent the frame and those crooks at State Farm totaled it and I got hardly nothing for it. In fact it was the best off road vehicle I have ever owned and I've been driving various trucks since 1969; had one Ford, put 3 transmissions in it, sold it for peanuts!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2024 08:57 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well then, who makes a decent hunting rig?
Good question Leonard. It kind of depends on what is your favorite brand and how you plan to use it. Also depends on what bells and whistles you want.

For me I just couldn't see driving a big pickup around, sure they nice and roomy but seem to wear out faster as you put miles on. Takes more road to turn around vrs. midsize pickup. Now midsize trucks use same size tires, so no money saved on rubber and milage about same as full size or just little better.
I hunt mostly alone so midsize works for me but if you have a partner then Fullsize may be a better choice.
My Toyotas have plenty of storage space under the seats and behind them.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2024 09:22 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
".............. and how you plan to use it"
That's key right there.
I drive the highway to get to the two tracks that I hunt. I want four wheel drive to get me OUT of trouble not into.

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2024 09:28 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
That’s how I felt about that 1990 Mazda 4x4 I had. I went places I had no business going. I remember one time it snowed a ton and the two track I was on hadn’t been driven on yet and I was going through the snow up to damn near my headlights. In the middle of no where hunting damn coyotes.

It made it through without a problem. That was back when I was young and dumb. High centered it a few times in some washes trying to get to better hunting spots.

Man I loved that little truck. Miss it too.

Sure wish I could find a truck like that again. Except with 4 doors this time. I’ve gotten alittle spoiled with a four door.

Good Hunting Chad

[ April 26, 2024, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2024 11:22 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Best truck Ive ever had has been a 01 Toyota Tacoma 4X4. Like firearms, wish I had not of sold it and just fixed it up, had 279,000 on it and showing signs of impending troubles.
That truck made me way to bold, went to places I probably should have stayed out of, but little truck rolled right on ahead.
Been looking at Tacoma World Forums couple times a week to view sale ads, and almost pulled the trigger on a nice little 01 with very few miles for the age, 67,000. Shame on me for trying to dicker to much and it got picked up while I was questioning and throwing offers.
Greatest little trouble free truck I've had, and I'll get another, just have to be quicker on the trigger next time.

Posts: 1634 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2024 08:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just one of those Ford-Chevy things.

For me, my first actual truck was a 1969 Datsun. Remember when you could get them equipped with fat tires in the rear? Seems like everybody who bought any Jap imported Mini Pick up had fat tires in the rear. I had General X Commandos front and rear with a very open, yet aggressive tread. I loved those tires. That friggin' truck would go places it didn't belong. Had a 1300cc engine, maybe top speed on the flats was 70mph, 75 if it was downhill. I installed a flat boat gas tank, I think it was 20 gallons in the bed, up front, right under the rear window. That gave me great range, I don't even remember now, how many gallons the main tank held?

I traded it in on a, (wow) might have been a 1975? International and that truck was a genuine piece of shit. 392ci(or was it 396?) v8. I only had it one year, it was that bad. had a 1 year warrantee and the front wheel bearing fell off and stranded me up in Bishop, ONE DAY PAST THE WARRANTY and those pricks wouldn't make it good! Finally, the service manager of a combo dealership, GMC, Buick, Pontiac, and International Harvester Tractors, mostly. He chewed out the big shot in the Long Beach dealership and he shamed him and he authorized $600 repair and gathered parts from all over the western United States. I traded it in on a 280Z, it had a $3,000 camper shell on it and I think I got right at $3,000 trade in. What a complete Clusterfuck that was!

It was after that, that I bought the Nissan 4X4 pickup, and that baby truthfully, was the best truck I ever owned; as far as a go anywhere hunting rig.

When that truck was wrecked, female bus driver rear ended me and I had a $500 deductible. I will never fall for that sales pitch, where you save ten bucks on the fucking premium and then they ream you on the $500 deductible, and don't even ask me why I did a claim, but suing the school district was going to take forever! in fact, they denied the claim because it wasn't submitted within 6 months! Meanwhile, I needed transportation! I know, long story and I already hated Insurance companies, all of them, they are all crooks!

I see this has developed into another one of Leonard's RANTS! Sorry!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2024 09:14 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite was a 1985 F-150 short bed with a 2" lift, big tires all-around, off-road shocks, Wild country tires, 5- speed manual tranny with a in-line six-cylinder, windshield visor, roll bars and extra driving lights and also came with a artic kit. I drove that truck all the way to Washington state. Took it as far as Salt Lake City, Wyoming, Neb., Mo., Kansas, ok. and Iowa. 2-tone Tan and brown and turned out to also be a good chick magnet. At the time I believe this is when Ford came out with independent suspension and only thing, I didn't like was I had to replace the rubber bushings for the two support arms every two years. The brackets that held the support arms where riveted to the frame, so I removed the rivets and replaced with bolts, so it was a easy job of replacing the rubber bushings.
Years later I traded it in on a 92 F-150 Northland edition, bright blue.
Last summer I was working close to where I traded it in and got to see it again. The new owner turned it into a Monster truck which looked pretty cool.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2024 05:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My ultimate hunting rig was a 1969 Dodge Power Wagon. Had a 6" lift and big tires. There will never be another, too much work. For special night hunting, I had cut out switches on back up lights, the lic. plate light the brake lights and hidden amber lights inboard of the wheels so I could run the centerline on a moonless night and it was sort of a stealth rig. I could drive away from enforcement at high speed and they would be looking for where I turned off instead of blasting ahead. Never ever caught me when I didn't want to be caught. Hunting coyotes was the only offense but if you don't want to be stopped, we had a few tricks; nothing illegal.

I hunted with one guy that had a different approach the worked just as well. He had a Bearcat scanner and a couple "publications" that listed all the various frequencies of various agencies, and that was slick because if he knew who was being dispatched, he would know where they would be coming from and was able to make a few U turns and completely avoid whoever was being dispatched.

Same thing, he just didn't want somebody focused on "poachers" shining a light and I only hunted with him one weekend but he completely dodged more than a couple agencies, like BLM Rangers, state fish and game and county sheriffs. We weren't doing anything illegal, just hunting coyotes, but they automatically think deer poachers, or drug dealers and this must be stopped! Actually, my kid, I didn't even know this about him but he's an adrenaline junky. He definitely got off on disappearing from cops or anybody curious and looking for us. I admit being a bit smug about it, myself. The situation these days, it's really not worth the risk.

I know some guys that were being bracketed by the Federales. They drove into the weeds with night vision, found a well marked spot and wrapped all their guns in a tarp and buried them and were able to brush out the tire track where they had turned off into the dirt and they watched them walking along and looking for their tracks but never found them. They waited until daylight and drove out without ever being seen and the night shift had gone home.

There weren't any laws involved other than government agencies. We used to have free reign in the Easy Mojave until the NAZI regulators took over and changed the classifications and the labels and administrative regulations. They actually made it an offense to pull off to the side of a two track and park! In most cases, actually the only thing they could do was "ask" us to leave, but it was a little more risky in Mexico, until it became not worthwhile, when the Federales were the least of our worries

Those were the days. For stupid coyotes! And, Mexican coyotes actually are quite stupid. A Mexican would not understand wasting a cartridge on an inedible animal and the police are paranoid about guns and cartridges. One 22 rimfire cartridge can get an American locked up for a long time, and those assholes will look under floorboards or any nook or cranny where a long forgotten bullet, or even an empty case they will make a big fucking deal out of it!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2024 04:44 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey El Bee;
Wasn't that East Mojave debacle part of that scam your Senator Cranston pulled off ???
Seems they bought up cheap land, bladed in some 'roads' and put up those cute road signs. War Bonnet Loop and such and then brought in suckers for the hard sell to 'invest'. When the wheels fell off of that train they declared bankruptcy and made a backroom deal to turn half of the desert over to some nature outfit in exchange for tax deferment.

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters