The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Happy Holidays !!!!!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Happy Holidays !!!!!!!
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2017 07:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hanukkah is in full swing, today the Sun enters it's winter home (Solstice), Xmas is coming and the New Year is on it's way.
Plus............
God's in Heaven,
Trump's in the White House,
and the Democrats are in tears.

Good times !!!!!! [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2017 10:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG! And I have so much left to do before the Solstice Party, caught me completely unprepared!

My big deal is I am actually hosting a Christmas dinner, solo. Never attempted such a thing before. My big concern is the gravy, that should be interesting?

I made my initial trip to Costco for supplies, last night. I'm sure I need several more but this time it will have to be Stater Bros. Life is too short to endure too many Costco parking lots and checkout lines in one week.

I need to study the instructions on stuffing or "dressing" packages. I have no clue? This deal could be success or a complete disaster followed by a trip to Hometown Buffet.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2017 10:37 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
You Tube is your friend.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2017 10:48 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I just put HUGE amounts of butter in EVERYTHING. No lie, I used almost 3 lbs of butter making Thanksgiving dinner. I cooked the bacon in butter. Always being asked for my recipes...

Sometimes they wonder why I offer a blindfold and a cigarette when I serve it up though [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2017 11:14 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,
Buy McCormick gravy mix...Poultry gravy is pretty good. Brown gravy is even better. Comes in powder form in a 16 oz. container, I think.

Cavemen can do it, so can you! Just add water, stir until boiling and it will thicken...makes damn good gravy!

Stuffing...I cheat and use the StoveTop brand...easier and faster. Done in 5 minutes after the water boils.

I don't add as much butter as Dave, but I use twice as much as what StoveTop calls for...makes it moister.

I add whipping cream, butter and cream cheese to my mashed potatoes...makes them much smoother!

If you can't tell, since I can't hunt this year, I have been doing the majority of the cooking around our casa...

[ December 21, 2017, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2017 12:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Dave is only a small step removed from the Le French school of culinary art? Pretty soon he will be sautéing his chicken livers submerged in drawn butter. Or, just about any disgusting organ meat. Yum!

Gotta hand it to Trump; fried apple pies, Big Macs....and the (Pulp Fiction famous) "Royale w/cheese". Why? Because they are on the Metric System so it can't be called a Quarter Pounder, with cheese.

The Internet, eh? YouTube, eh? McCormick gravy mix, eh? Stovetop, eh? WOW! I got it dicked!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I think butter was the secret to my sister's Pineapple Upside-down cake. By far the best I ever tasted. Unfortunately, the secret died with her.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2017 12:43 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Cream cheese in the smashed taters is genius! Especially for the one of my kids that loves mashed potatoes but claims to hate cream cheese.

Going in the next batch...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2017 03:09 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sour cream in the 'taters works pretty well, too.

Gravy ???
The only one to make is Pioneer Country Gravy Mix.
By far the best !!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2017 03:23 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck LB.
I'm not good with dinners for more than 2.
Watched my mom for years and she made it look so easy and simple.

Everyone else have a good Christmas with your family.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2017 05:26 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, you fellas got all the tricks down pat!
Heck yeah, sour cream in the mashed taters. And try whipping some into your next batch of scrambled eggs...

Butta makes it betta!

Leonard, when I make homemade stuffing, I start with cubing up breakfast sausage into tidbits and browning them in butter...
Then, cube up an onion and some celery, and add more butter...
Then, add a handful of raisins to the butter.
Couple sprigs of fresh thyme & chopped sage & a bit of resemary, plus salt & peppa to taste. They package the herbs you need as 'poultry seasoning' in the produce section. Oh yeah, add some more butter...

Once you've got that slushy mess nicely sweated out, add your stuffing of choice. Could be pre-packed, or fresh cubed. Whichever, fold the bread into the buttery mess, and add chicken broth, as needed, to get the proper moistness dialed in. There's prolly two sticks of butter in this batch...
 -

Finally, stuff bird & put leftover stuffing in a baking dish to finish out in the oven with whatever else is in there...

As for the bird, I do up a mirepoix (chopped celery, carrots & onions) to bed the bird over.
I like to saute the mirepoix in butter just a bit to get the vegies sweatin'. Then, that goes in the bottom of the pan, and your stuffed bird sits right on top. That bed is a moisture barrier & keeps the bird from drying out. And some more fresh 'poultry seasoning' herbs in there, too...
 -

While its baking, keep an eye on the 'juice' level! You'll likely have to suck out a lot of 'juice' from the baking pan as the bird & vegies cook.
SAVE THIS JUICE! You can strain it, and add a pack of gravy mix to thicken it up. Or, cook the 'juice' down, and puree up some of the mirepoix vegies to help thicken it up. Some flour dusted in will help get the gravy consistency dialed in. Add white wine if ya get too thick. This makes a real kick azz gravy! Season with salt & pepper if it needs any more...

I rub olive oil and fresh herbs on the skin & cook the bird tented with foil for the first few hours @ 325°F Then, remove foil, kick er up to 350° & baste every half hour or so to get a nice golden brown skin. YOu can kick it up higher if the natives are gettin' restless...
 -

Watch your thermometer! Stuffing needs to be 165°F, and that should insure a moist bird...

Shit, now I'm hungry!

Merry Christmas, all!!!

[ December 22, 2017, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2017 07:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn! Thanks, Fred!

Sounds great, but I just know I won't be able to do your method, I have to be a little more simple on my first attempt.

I might pick and choose a few of your Redline details, if I have the time? Wish I did?

My practical side says I need to be more concerned with providing clean sheets, towels and toilet paper. Then, if I have the time, get tricky.

But, you take the cake, as always.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2017 07:49 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Knock-en -down
Try adding a bag or two of dried cranberries to that stuffing. Makes an awesome finishing touch.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2017 09:23 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I fill the bird with apples and onions for flavor and moisture (toss after cooking) just before I put it in the smoker I never bake them any more I used to make one traditional and one smoked soon realized there were never leftovers of the smoked bird. Always make scratch gravy butter and sour cream in the taters. Cant really eat it anymore but love to cook for others ! Dave uses butter like I do. Will be leaving my little piece of heaven and go south to the big city to visit kids and grandkids and one great grand kid !
I Hate the city even a little town like Prescott bothers me.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2017 09:27 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh forgot Merry Christmas and a happy , heathy and prosperous New Year! Fuck happy holiday's it's Christmas the birth of my lord and savior Jesus Christ . Not ashamed to say it !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2017 10:33 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh forgot Merry Christmas and a happy , heathy and prosperous New Year! Fuck happy holiday's it's Christmas the birth of my lord and savior Jesus Christ . Not ashamed to say it !
Woohoo! Paul for President, 2024!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2017 12:19 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas everyone, may God bless all of you.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2017 12:24 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Booger Just speaking for myself !
Not selling anything......

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2017 07:46 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I say Happy Holidays not to be politicly correct but because I have friends who are Christian, Jewish, Druid and Heathen. This is "That most wonderful time of the year" and I don't wish to exclude anybody unless they're wearing a bomb vest.
And no, I am not one of those who are threatened by and make issue with a Manger Scene on the lawn at City Hall.
Happy Holidays to a bunch of blood-thirsty manly men who are exchanging cooking recepies on a coyote board.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2017 09:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, just south of me, down Euclid Blvd is the City of Ontario. Upland, a hundred years ago used to be north Ontario, or "upland" for short.

Anyway, if you drive south on Euclid, like I do on my way to the Kaiser hospital, the entire downtown center median of Ontario has religious themed displays like "Mangers" and wisemen, and things like that. I didn't count them, but there could have been more than a dozen, maybe a lot more stretching for blocks through the heart of town on the main drag. Big elaborate Christmas depictions.

Both Ontario and Upland have a huge center median running the length of Euclid Blvd for about (guess?) 5 or 6 miles and it's a jogging path through Upland that is maybe fifty feet, something like that with thousands of trees, Camfur and Pepper trees outside, inside and both sides of the median in rows, old trees.

When you get to Ontario, it's more of a park along the center of the street, still just as wide but mowed grass and a few trees until you get to the downtown area which is where all the stage displays of Biblical Christmas are set up.

So, my question is; where's the backlash? How is a city of around 200,000 avoiding the inevitable complaints; we must separate religion and government!

I haven't heard a word about it, it just suddenly was set up around Thanksgiving. I have no problem with it, but I assume there are a few Bob Cratchets out there that would impose their values on everyone.

A win for normal people: exchanging recipes!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS Druids? Heathen? You forgot Wiccan?

[ December 23, 2017, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2017 11:03 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas to all and your family's!!!
From Oklahoma
Can't help on the cooking, not much of a cook but good luck on the meal.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Grizz
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2017 12:25 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Fred that bird and the rest look real good.
I likes butter, butter with bacon even better. Was going to hunt for a couple of days but I'm sicker than fuck just right now in time for Christmas. Good thing I'm off for four days. Prolly be well enough just in time to return to work on Wed, SUCKS! Merry Christmas to all even you Leonard. Rick

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2017 05:16 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, I'm glad to hear that about Ontario. I'm not a religious guy, I do praise the Lord daily. He put's up with my swearing & countless other things [Big Grin]

On the other hand I just got back from my Ontario, picked up a pizza & a few other things.

Pretty dead, the liquor store was packed though !!

Ok, I stopped there & picked up a little something for tomorrow night. Quit making me feel guilty [Razz]

[ December 23, 2017, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2017 09:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am really sweating the dinner tomorrow. I don't know ow females do this? I'm just thinking about potatoes, getting them ready and in a bowl. Then, I bought another ham yesterday, and the instructions call for 115* how am I going to do that with the turkey in the oven at 325*? And, got candied yams with mandarins, pineapple and marshmallows; where does that go?

Also, granddaughter volunteered to do green bean casserole with french fried onions. How could we have a Christmas dinner without a green bean salad? <sarcasm> Again where does that go, stove top along with the Stovetop? I remembered raisins.

I'm debating putting the bird in an oven bag, I know it works good for pot roast. I'm in a dither about gravy. On the one hand, the suggestion is to put mushroom soup in the bag with flour? But, I bought a bag of McCormicks brown gravy mix and turkey gravy mix, to hedge my bets.

Success or disaster, hangs in the balance!

This is like planning an invasion, Normandy comes to mind?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2017 01:59 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas all!

I don't eat much candy or cookies during the year. Oh, maybe an occasional homemade cookie here and there...

But I'm a sucker for Christmas candy and such.

My MIL makes peanut brittle, almond roca, and caramel corn to die for. My wife really doesn't bake much, but she makes some dandy frosted sugar cookies, which she makes once a year. (yesterday)

Anyway, I can't pass through our kitchen or front office at work for the past week or two without grabbing some sugar-laced thing to eat.

Good thing that stuff is only around for a couple weeks a year or I might turn into butcher hog.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2017 02:56 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"Happy Birthday Sweet Jesus".
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters