The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » A Few Observations (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: A Few Observations
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2009 08:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
About the $25, or $41, whatever it is? Is this an annual membership, or a one time charge?

You know, I was browsing last night, with this discusion on my mind, and I noticed that there is not a forum for political discusion on NPHA. Considering their stated goals, I would think they at least should have a "brochure forum".

Okay, a rim shot, (forgive me) but even here at HM, (not a National Organization in scope or ambition) we are having this conversation, and there is also plenty of room for politics down in the Neanderthal Forum. I can't see the whole board because I have not joined, so maybe they have something going on that addresses these concerns without resorting to this stuff on a different message board?

My policy here is to do everything I can WITHOUT resorting to private messages and email. It goes on the Board where everybody can read it, even if it is of a personal nature. I don't know why, it just seems like a more fair and honest method.

On NPHA, they are asking for personal email, PM and phone calls? That seems to me to be, at the very least, burdensome. I sure don't have the time to engage everybody with a problem in a personal dialogue.

My observations are not to be taken as negative, I'm just asking a casual question or two.

Good hunting. LB

BTW, Jason. Your offer was snagged by my bulletproof spam filters. I'm going out of town, be back after Sunday, but I will call you and listen to what you have to say.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31490 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2009 10:14 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I called Jason this morning and will say that evidently, there is alot of misconceptions about the NPHA. Unfortunately, Jason and the NPHA can't/won't fight the forums to clear them up.

I am going to keep an open mind and hope for the best but yes Jason I will keep a closed checkbook for now. I hope I'm wrong but only time will tell.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2009 10:18 AM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
I can see JRBs point in not wanting to hash everything out in an open forum. It is a loose/loose situation from his stand point. I have more of an open book policy but that is just my personality.

For me I just don't think it is an organization that is going to do me any good. No matter how you slice it an organizations survival depends on its membership. In this organization it looks like about 99 percent of its focus is membership recruitment.

With the millions of people that are soon to be reached there is bound to be millions of questions involved and obviously millions of dollars. My first question would be "where is all the money going?"

Is it going to be used for JRB and some buddies to jet set around the country or world and hunt predators so they can brag about it in there news letter? And promote the NPHA on the way? Does the NPHA have a kill them all "year around" position?

With the potential of generating considerable amount of money I think every dime should be accounted for. Maybe it will?

I just know that if the monies are going to be used to pad a few fat cats hunting fund it isn't going to fly.

I am skeptic le I guess. It seams like a universal theme to introduce more people to "the fastest growing sport in the INDUSTRY" LOL But no one slows down long enough to ask why?

In predator hunting more people equate to more competition for our already diminishing opportunities. I as well as most people reading this thread have personally felt the repercussions of the new found popularity of the "sport."

Well, those of us that have been in it for 15 or 20 plus years. The newbies know nothing different. I'll stick with my gut feeling and keep my distance. In the end the ones pushing and promoting this are the ones that reap the rewards and usual perks of the positions. The rest of us loose in one fashion or another.

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2009 10:40 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With the millions of people that are soon to be reached there is bound to be millions of questions involved and obviously millions of dollars. My first question would be "where is all the money going?"

Is it going to be used for JRB and some buddies to jet set around the country or world and hunt predators so they can brag about it in there news letter? And promote the NPHA on the way? Does the NPHA have a kill them all "year around" position?

Well i see Jason just got back from Montana where he had a meeting with one of the sponsors so i guess thats where some of the money went..It would of been nice if he could of taken a few of the members along sinch we are most likely paying for the trip..or maybe the money came out of his own pocket.. [Roll Eyes]

I don't think the president of NPHA even knows how to skin a coyote plus he has been known to kill coyotes dureing the off season, so i think i know where he stands as far as year round hunting goes.. [Razz]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
tawnoper
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2009 10:52 AM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can see JRBs point in not wanting to hash everything out in an open forum. It is a loose/loose situation from his stand point. I have more of an open book policy but that is just my personality.

For me I just don't think it is an organization that is going to do me any good. No matter how you slice it an organizations survival depends on its membership. In this organization it looks like about 99 percent of its focus is membership recruitment.

With the potential of generating considerable amount of money I think every dime should be accounted for. Maybe it will?

I just know that if the monies are going to be used to pad a few fat cats hunting fund it isn't going to fly.

I am skeptic le I guess. It seams like a universal theme to introduce more people to "the fastest growing sport in the INDUSTRY" LOL But no one slows down long enough to ask why?

In predator hunting more people equate to more competition for our already diminishing opportunities. I as well as most people reading this thread have personally felt the repercussions of the new found popularity of the "sport."

Well, those of us that have been in it for 15 or 20 plus years. The newbies know nothing different. I'll stick with my gut feeling and keep my distance. In the end the ones pushing and promoting this are the ones that reap the rewards and usual perks of the positions. The rest of us loose in one fashion or another.

Good hunting.

Q,

Except for spelling lose "loose"...I totally agree. [Big Grin]
Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2009 12:31 PM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Leonard wrote: About the $25, or $41, whatever it is? Is this an annual membership, or a one time charge?

Annual Membership fee is $25

Or you can get a Lifetime Membership for $350

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2009 12:44 PM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
Now Leonard, I can whittle on that end of the stick.

That question could actually be posed on the NPHA forum, not a problem. We are there to listen and discuss idea on how to make it a better place to hang your hats and discuss various aspects of predator hunting.

If it is a forum issue, everyone should feel free to ask and we will try to come up with an answer. Our TOS is not that much different than a majority of others. I gathered the TOS from several successfull family oriented hunting forums, chose the most common themes, Added a couple items I had seen cause major problems in the past and put it out there.

The part about NPHA Organizational questions being directed to the organization is an end of the stick, neither the mods or my self should be whittling on.

True, we don’t have a political forum, nor a dog forum, AR forum, 17 cal forum, or a “my pecker is bigger than your pecker’ forum, all of which are of considerable interest to the average coyote hunter. The amazing thing about the internet is that these can all be considered in the future and some may be added and some may go. As it stand, we have most forums pretty active which is a good thing for the ones reading and participating there.

I think you will find, with the moderators assembled there, a level headedness, fair opportunity to discuss the topics that can be whittled on appropriately. At least that is my goal.

I think the NPHA organization will continue too succeed as it matures. The forums will too. Remeber this thing is only a few weeks old. If you are skepticle just take a wait and see attitude but keep an open mind

Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2009 01:44 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few qusestions too.....and I'm not sure who can answer them or who can't with out being dismissed. [Big Grin]

So basically the forums are just another hunting forum, but with the NPHA tag, but in a round about way, with no association with it at all?

I got that at aleast 4 other sites, what makes this one any better?

I also noticed its great to praise it but bad to question it, or ask questions about it already?(Seems to be on the road to the PM school of reign?) Whats up with that? Plus see NASA.

What does a member get for his/her $25? So far I see no added benefit, but the padding of some pockets for guys no one has ever heard of, and the kicker is they are there for life or until they don't fit in with the group running it? (What a retirement plan if your goal is to feed on all the internet newbies and the 2000 post in 6 month guys that came from PM.)

So as it stands you offer nothing for my $25 I can't get else where for free?

Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2009 04:49 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, if I ran a board, it would be much like this one. Pretty much say anything your man enough to back up.

Run it like that, fuck TOS.

[Cool]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2009 08:56 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, It's the TOS that kept my money in my pocket. I've a good friend in Indiana who asked me to check it out and Join, while I trust his judgment, I can't get past the idea that we are not allowed to question one of the Officers.

While I agree that sensitive subjects should not be discussed on an open forum, as you can never know who will read what is written. And I believe you can never win an argument on the internet, too many armchair experts, those TOS just seem to go a little too far for my tastes.

But I wish the best of luck to the new Org. and I hope that my fears are proven wrong soon.

BTW, you got more friends that you've got fingers, I've thought of you as a friend since the first time we met.

Tim

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Daryl
MODERATOR FORUM LURKER
Member # 3451

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2009 06:22 AM      Profile for Daryl           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the NPHA organization will continue too succeed as it matures. The forums will too. Remeber this thing is only a few weeks old. If you are skepticle just take a wait and see attitude but keep an open mind

I'm sure it will continue, but in my mind that's beside the point.

I'm really not much of a "joiner" for the sake of "joining". If I know folks on a forum (even if it's just a few), then I might join a forum to at least keep in contact with 'em. If it has knowledgeable members with good, solid information, all the better.

And I'd rather park my backside in a snowdrift and call coyotes than have someone patting it for me.

But to join just to say "I belong to..." isn't within my line of interest. Even less so if I'm going to be cutting a check for that membership, with that "association" being the primary benefit to me.

I don't have to buy friends or hunting buddies. My sympathies to anyone who does, or even thinks they can.

To me, this NPHA reeks of the same odor as NAHC (North American Hunting Club). It's all good for those who feel a need to "belong", but I'd rather spend the money to get me out in the mesquites to call coyotes.

To quote a friend, "It ain't rocket science, fellas".

Interestingly enough, I often find myself in the midst of various circles in which the general groups as a whole have little use for each other. I myself don't usually agree with the group as a whole, but I'll have individuals within that group that I get along with pretty well. I've been that way all of my life, and I doubt that'll change any time soon.

With that in mind, paying good money to join any particular "group" as a whole seems sort of odd to me.

Daryl

[ October 12, 2009, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: Daryl ]

Posts: 39 | From: Hereford, Arizona | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters