The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Dual Purpose Coyote Rifle (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Dual Purpose Coyote Rifle
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 24, 2016 06:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Siri, eh? Wyoming must be a lot more cosmopolitain than I ever suspected?

Mu son-in-law has that hooked up in the greatroom. The purpose escapes me? It's always interjecting puzzling comments. His excuse is, he has worked for Apple 25 years, what's yours? (just kidding) Whatever, I get some very decent discounts through him.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31532 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2016 06:56 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I spend most days alone Leonard. Gotta have someone to visit with!

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2016 07:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and I forgot what it's like being snowed in, all winter.

That's one thing that cracked me up about the Navajo Res. All those remote hogans behind every hill; but they all had a DirectTV dish and an ice chest for the beer.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2016 03:37 PM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,
I am surprised you cut it off at 500. I'll go a little farther but it requires that I have time to dial and know the exact yardage. I try to split the difference between speed and the heavies. I don't deal with the wind you do,but I deal with enough to know I need all the help I can get.

Brent

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2016 05:23 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Brent, my friend Kerry built a 20" .243AI to use with his can. He's running a 58Vmax @ 3650fps and like how it shoots & handles. Surely he'll be whackin' coyotes with it, soon...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2016 11:41 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to neuter one of my hot rods. Haven't decided which one yet, but now leaning towards the .20-250. Might still be close to .204R performance (yawn...) at 19". Or not. But I'm thinking I'm going to find out.

Just can't handle a 30"+ barrel including suppressor. Getting something like that in and out of the Jeep ten times a day would be just more PITA than I can stand.

So... 18", 19", is where I'll have to be for a barrel that's getting suppressed. Just thinking about the velocity loss gives me kind of empty feeling though...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2016 12:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but.

Friends don't let friends neuter perfectly good - stuff.

Should we call for an intervention?

This will cost you (what) $1,400, minimum?

OK I will shut up.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2016 01:27 PM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Once you own a suppressor it all becomes more clear about barrel length though I never was one for long barrels. My current .223 has a 12.5" barrel and is pretty dam handy. My preference is around 20" though with the bigger stuff. I just haven't seen a need for a longer barrel with what I do and don't plan to shoot anything unsuppressed.
92soggy
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2016 08:51 PM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
My 21" 17-204 w/ a gemtech trek-t is the same overall length as it was with a 26" barrel.
I did drop from 4050fps to about 3900, but it seems to kill them just as good. I've had a few kills in the 3-350 range this year. That said I think I will go with a 22" barrel next time.

Posts: 39 | From: Washington | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2016 05:17 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Cal,

Hows that new rifle doing?

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2016 06:15 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Brent, It shoots really well. The problems I'm having are the same as most others I suppose. I can't find the powder and bullets I want. The bullets I found a good supply of are 87 grain V-max and they shoot well, but are a bit hard on stuff. I have went through every slow burning powder I can find and most are too slow. The perfect one would probably be RL-22. I can't find any.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2016 07:35 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, I just got a bunch of 87VLDs from Brownells the other day, they are the "Hunting" version. Better b.c. than the Vmax and less bearing surface, should allow for a couple inches of ballistic cheating...

As for powder, ya got any H4350 to push 'em?
H-100v looks real good, too. And R-17 looks like the speed king of the lot.

(using Quickload with a 243AI baseline data & slightly adjusted capacity for your CompMatch)

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2016 05:32 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Cal,

I ran those 87 v-max for a season and saw the same thing. They are a good compromise between bc. and weight. I ended up going with Barnes 80 TTSX bc not near as good but for a fur bullet I like them. Even shot a couple of cats with them and damage was 50 cent pc. exit.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters