The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Buying a "can" is joke.. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Buying a "can" is joke..
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2014 07:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I concede all, Cal.

I have not hunted Wyoming very much but what I have seen, primarily southwestern, it is a lot like Nevada, wide open. Meaning that things that happen a quarter mile, (or more) away seems to have "intimacy" that just doesn't happen in Arizona or Mexico.

People don't understand that some of these places are way more brushy and there is a tunnel vision when you don't see a coyote approaching from much more than a hundred yards, if you are lucky.

I am not exaggerating. Coyotes romp out of the washes and look around with no spookiness, after several shots have been fired. They look like they have not a care in the world. The confining brush muffles the shot much in the same way as does a suppressor.

Think of it like a shotgun stand, all shots will begin inside of 100 yards and they keep popping out of the cover like they are deaf, didn't hear any shooting, at all.

I don't know? Maybe I'm exaggerating? I can see SOME advantage, especially the part where the sound doesn't seem to help in identifying the direction it's coming from. But, you know, hunting at night is the same phenomena, exactly the opposite effect as you might think. It's like throwing a cloud blanket over the stand and not allowing the shot to echo and bounce down the rocks like on a bright sunny day. Kinda hard to explain.

Bottom line, yes I can see the suppressor has some worth, in some applications. If it's worth it's weight in gold for some of you guys, that's great, especially when they are all right in front of you. But for many of my stands, they pop out of the brush one at a time and that's a different situation, one that in all honesty, has not given me that much trouble.

Then again, my experience is limited to one afternoon at the range, with a suppressed, full auto M4. Therefore, I can't say that I really know what I'm talking about?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2014 06:01 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience a suppressor has helped me. The first year I used one I shot more doubles than ever before. Several were in situations were I could see two coyotes at the same time. I run a dog on stand and I'm sure that distraction helps as well.
This weekend I shot two doubles and in both cases they were together. The second coyote ran off a few yards and looked at their partner.
Another benefit for the guys using a dog is that it saves our dogs ears as well.

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2014 09:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good point, had not thought about protecting your dogs ears. Of course, not everybody runs decoy dogs?

Way over on the south eastern AZ, it's a little more open and I didn't mean to imply that we never see two animals at the same time. However, it's just as typical to see them bursting out of brush one at a time, and typically acting like they didn't hear a gunshot.

Of course they did. edit: (hear it) They just seem to not let it affect them, or something? I will never know how many turned tail and split before I saw them after the lead animal went down? Can't prove that kind of negative.

I'm just not ready to jump on the bandwagon; GOTTA HAVE IT!

Good hunting El Bee

[ June 03, 2014, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2014 05:33 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I always said to myself and to a few close friends that if I ever won the powerball that I was going to file a law suit against the AZ Game and Fish Depoartment under the ADA act. My hearing loss is well documented and I always wanted to use a silencer while hunting. One friend asked why don't you just wear electronic hearing protection. That way you can hear and protect. Yeh sure, in Arizona when it gets to 90 degrees by 10:00am I am going to wear hearing protection. Well it isn't necessary now that it is legal to use a can. Haven't bought one yet but probably will some day.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1925 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2014 08:58 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a Daniel Defense 10.5" 300 Blackout the other day, never cared much for all the hype trying to run it supersonic but subsonic it makes sense.

Slap a can on that thing and some night vision then start picking off hogs. Would be expensive but fun!

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted June 09, 2014 11:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little concerned, Tom. I hope you are saving a little for retirement?

(signed) Jealous El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Duckdog
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2014 04:10 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question on cans in general...
Do you have to carry any special documents on you when hunting, or...really anytime to prove that you're "legal"?
I could potentially see an over zealous cop or warden go into full on freak out mode at some point.

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2014 04:42 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. In possesion you need paper work. Just can't walk around with a can in your hand. ;-)

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2014 08:24 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Just dreaming Leonard, I wish I had the extra coin to splurge but sadly I do not.

Hey maybe we could do a fund raiser like they do on pm and we all could buy one?

Edit to clarify, when I said "picked up" I meant I just picked it up as the dealer was testing me. I promptly handed it back to him when I started counting coins.

[ June 10, 2014, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2014 05:40 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
What we need is for the DEms and Obama to pass the Affordable CAN Act. Otherwise known as the ACA.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1925 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2014 07:49 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
What we REALLY need is for the Dem. Forces of Evil to be as enthusiastic about `.....shall not be infringed` as they were about `.....depends on what the definition of 'is' is.`

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2014 07:53 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
HEY;
Just noticed;
The Democratic Forces Of Evil.
a.k.a.
The Democratic F.O.E.

I crack myself up sometimes.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2014 03:43 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
TR, I'm going to suppress my .17-.204 and was wondering what can you went with?
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2014 05:44 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the S.A.S./Suppressed Armament Systems 5.56/.223 Sentinel Ti model.
Lots of good suppressors to pick from. I'd suggest finding the closest dealer to you and going with what ever make and model he/she carries, and try to avoid having to transfer something different into his/her shop. That transfer alone adds to the headache of buying a can.
I went with the 5.56/.223 because 1)the .223 model is significantly shorter, smaller, and lighter than the .30 cal models. 2)I rarely shoot any of my larger than .22 cal guns, hence I wasn't worried about using it on every gun that I have. Size, weight, length were more important to me.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2014 04:30 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
TR, did anyone say anything to you about handling the greater pressure of the gun you are using it on compared to the .223? Only reason I ask is I called a suppressor shop and he said he is not sure a .223 can would handle the increased pressure of the .17-.204. How long have you had it? No problems? Ever have to clean it? Do you get any POI shift?

[ October 22, 2014, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Rhoades ]

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 05:11 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how a .22 cal. suppressor with a .17 cal. bullet going through it will cause more pressure in the suppressor. Seems to me that a smaller bullet would allow more gases to escape, but that's just my thinking out loud. I'd think a .220 swift would create more pressure at the can than does the .17/204, for instance.
BUT, to answer your question, my dealer, who also has threaded all but one rifle for me, has never said anything to me about varying pressures from varying rifles being a problem. Basically was told that I could shoot any caliber through it that is .22 cal or smaller.
As far as cleaning, it was recommended to clean it about once a year because it can begin to build up carbon over time. Simply fill it with vinegar and let soak for a couple of days and rinse with warm water and allow to dry.
I'm in my 4th season with mine. Between shooting prairie dogs in the summer, and coyotes in the winter, I've probably got a couple thousand rds. through it now.
When you first mount the can on any rifle, you will have a small POI shift do to the change of barrel harmonics. Simply re-sight the rifle with the can on it, and you're good to go. I have many times taken the can off of one gun and screwed in onto another, and the POI stayed the same from one switch to the next. Don't have to re-sight each time you take it off and put it back on.

[ October 23, 2014, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: TRnCO ]

--------------------

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 05:44 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks TR.
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 06:43 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry TR, one last question. What style mounting system did you use? The direct thread on or something different? Do you ever have to retighten it? I would like one that I can put on and never worry about it loosening and still retain accuracy.
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2014 08:19 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
direct thread, and I've never had it come loose.

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2014 07:36 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the call! I got my tax stamp, that's just shy of 6 months..

I pick up my can tomorrow..:-)

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2014 12:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably double your kill.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2014 05:41 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, least double. Lol

--------------------

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2014 08:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know, do you have to physically pick up the suppressor from the store or can they ship it to you? Reason I ask is because I have been trying to get a suppressor for a couple months and the 1st shop either won't call me back or will call back several days later. So I tried another shop and they won't call back. Can I order over the phone from someone?
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2014 06:35 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's a clue.

When went to the local store. I had to fill out a form like I was buying a freakin firearm (same questions) and they called me in for approval..

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2014 06:37 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I just bought SUBSONIC for .223. I heard from folks that it sounds like a bb gun with three pumps. Ha ha

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters