The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Need new handgun (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Need new handgun
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 02:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I would like some input.

I remember talking to Vic some time ago, I said I was interested in a 92 Beretta and he just said: "Why?" Caused me to think he was not very keen on it.

So, would like to hear from everyone with an opinion, especially the Okies and if Victor would expand on his comment, it would be most helpful.

Does not have to be limited to pistol or revolver. I have a distinct dislike for Glock, but feel free to talk me into a believer.

Thanks. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 02:28 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
What do you want to use it for? Home defense, plinking, hunting? For me, I'm a Ruger Super Redhawk fan. They're boat anchor heavy, but totally reliable and shoot the heaviest loads I can comfortably handle. For semi auto's, I like Sig's and Kimbers. There are a ton of them out there, pick your poison.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 02:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I own a RedHawk in 44Mag, not a super redhawk.

What do I want it for? Duh. I don't know? I'm not a big plinker fan but everything else is possible.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 02:37 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, understood. Get a wheel gun in .44 or .454 mag just for fun. I prefer the Alaskan Super Redhawks....short, stout and easy to tote under a jacket and waders.

[ January 07, 2014, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 05:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's the Okies?

edit: I will say this. My Redhawk is a pleasure to shoot, with a very nice trigger. Very accurate.

[ January 07, 2014, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 05:31 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a revolver guy. Have lots of them and one Glock. For a tough go anywhere, stuff anywhere, always functioning auto, Glock is so simple it's stupid which is perfect for me. Revolvers, I only have Smiths and a Freedom Arms Casull. I've had a few Rugers and don't have anything against them, but my wish list would be another FA in something a little less than the 454. A .357 or .327 would be perfect. They make both.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 05:48 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Checking in here Boss,
In 1980 I purchased a brand spanking new Beretta M92SB in 9mm. It was the first AND ONLY semi auto handgun that fed, fired & ejected any and all hollow point ammo, Period. I have carried it everywhere, it has never hiccupped on any half decent ammo, never. A couple of close friends in the UDT business tested them, loved them and suggested the Navy buy them, that's what sold me.
These days there are several smaller, and more modern(?) handguns available and most of them are 100% reliable. They (Beretta) are a bit large in size and any hack can fuck one up, if he tries. About the only semi auto's that I trust as much are Sigs, HK's and CZ's.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 06:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If I got one, (BTW thanks for the input) I was thinking of the 40S&W.

Tom is also big on handguns, where's he at?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 06:41 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Right now a person can usually find 40 S&W ammo at most any place that stocks ammo. And for what it's worth, a 40S&W has plenty of power regardless of what the www heros say about it being "short&weak". A 150 gr bullet @ 1200+ fps will put the hurt on most any creature in the lower 48.

--------------------
mike

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 06:50 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not Tom, but Glock has a new longslide .45 ACP out. Mas Ayoob does a review of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5_Sd5gcq7Q

Glock also has a new .380, but I don't think you are in the market for one.

If you want a .40, you can't go wrong with a Gen 3 or Gen 4 Glock 23. I have an older Gen 2, and fired 1000 rounds without cleaning it as an experiment. I didn't have a malfunction until something like round number 988. I would have to get my books out to tell you the exact number but it was right around there. There is nothing wrong with the .40 short and weak, by the way. The 165 grain Speer Gold Dot (full load not the downloaded version they also make) has a good reputation for putting down bad guys.

Right now I am looking at a Springfield XDs in .45 as a pocket gun. Some of my friends have this gun and love it. Though it doesn't sound like you are looking for a pocket carry piece.

[ January 07, 2014, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 06:54 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Right now a person can usually find 40 S&W ammo at most any place that stocks ammo. And for what it's worth, a 40S&W has plenty of power regardless of what the www heros say about it being "short&weak".
A 150 gr bullet @ 1200+ fps will put the hurt on most any creature in the lower 48.

Or go 10mm, and shoot a 200 grain bullet at 1200 fps. Or a 180 at 1300 fps. If you want to go a little mild you can get a 180 at around 1200.

Of course, there is the "light loaded" Hornady 155 grain load at 1280 (the box says 1260 but it chrono's slightly higher than that).

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 07:10 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
49, been there done that. A 10mm is still about the most powerful semi auto pistol around readily available for hunters. But I prefer a six shooter for handgun big game hunting. Thinking back to the first Glock M20 10mm I ever saw, an OHP (Highway Patrol) bought it and went to the range to shoot it. A short while latter he walked back into the gun shop holding the slide in one hand & the frame in the other. 2 shots & he had liftoff and separation. If I went back to a 10mm, my choice would be a S&W 1076 or 1086, I have owned both & liked them.

--------------------
mike

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 07:28 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
PP, I wish S&W still made the 1000 series. If they did I would own one as well. Now they are hard to find on the used market, and when you do find them they aren't cheap.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 08:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not looking for a collector's piece, or pay a premium for a hard to find model. In fact, I was sort of thinking getting by for 700/800 max. Aren't most Kimbers over a grand? In fact, I don't think I need a 10MM, if I can't settle things with a couple 40S&W, I better quit.

Don't forget, I'm in The People's Republik, that Seacamp I have is a CA compliant model with a friggin' safety!

I know nothing about CZ autos? Are they reasonable?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: address my concerns about accidental discharges with Glocks. Fairytales, or what?

Nobody shoots a Sig?

[ January 07, 2014, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 08:14 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure why I sold my 10's because they were nice handling pistols. The 1086 had the best DAO trigger I ever pulled. The 1076 was considered a lemon, maybe it was at first but once the De cocker problem was solved it was a fine pistol.

--------------------
mike

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 09:05 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of the 40 short and weak but ammo has stayed readily available. I prefer 9mm's but that's another story.

Anyway, Glock. The mid size does not fit my hand, the finger groove is thinner than on the full size so keep that in mind if you go Glock. They do perform and if you're smart enough to keep your finger off the trigger, they are safe.

My choice though is the S&W M&P 9mm. Mine has been flawless, fits me, works every time I pull the trigger and it does not rust when carried IWB.

Never shot a Berretta, can't know nothing about em. I like a Sig 228 but got tired of em rusting on me. Never cared for the XD enough to even try one. I do like Smith revolvers.

The M&P is offered with a safety if CA has to have one.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 09:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I'm starting to accumulate a range of opinions! Lot's to think about.

Thanks people. Anybody else?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 09:35 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I shoot Sigs often, either a P228(9mm) or 229(357Sig or 40S&W) or a couple others. The CZ75 and all it's variants are excellent pistols. I liked them better when the were in the mid 300.00$ range new, now they sell for 5-600$. My favorite CZ is the 9mm PCR it's a compact w/de cocker & holds 14 + 1 in a flush fit mag or up to 20+ rounds with an extended mag. Those capacities are only legal in the free world tho. "Iffin a feller" is traveling by car an extra loaded hi cap mag nearby will get you out of a lot of trouble with a simple mag change once you cross the state line into Free America.
Another option & quite compact, but only a single stack mag (8+1) but legal in the PCR is the H&K P-7M8. It's a compact pistol & a goodin. H&K sold a hi cap version in 9mm & 40S&W but they ain't legal out yonder so I won't go into that version.

--------------------
mike

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 10:38 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
like Cal, Im a revolver guy, and a revolver, to my mind, means Smith and Wesson. I'll qualify that by stating not the "new" S&Ws with action locks or lack of firing pin on the nose of the hammer and poor over all fit and finish. The older ones, 60s thru late 80s are the gems of the revolver world.
I'd look for a nice used M19, which is my absolute favorite, either a 4" or 2 1/2", I have both and they see the most ride time on a belt holster when Im out and about.
If it's an auto you might be looking at, bite the bullet and pick up a Glock Leonard. I had the same sentiment as you concerning Glocks, I loathed them, that was of course until I actually owned and shot one.
There was a time when I could actually shoot pretty fair, and I owned, shot, and competed with a fairly large stable of 1911 platform pistols. In 1988 I bought what was "state of the art"( I hate that term) for the time, a Bill Wilson Super Grade in .45, two years later, it was old stuff and guys were using .38 supers, 9X21 Dillons etc.
That's when I made the switch to revolvers, used all my nice 1911s for trade and cash outs to buy Smith and Wessons.
Look around for a clean used G22 if you like .40, it's not hard to find them for $400-$450. I'm not sure why, but it seems most guys like the G17-G19, 9mm pistols over the .40, but Im not one of them. Ive always maintained that if I had a table covered with various flavors of auto pistols; 1911s,Sig,Beretta,Ruger etc, and one Glock. If I knew I was going to have to use one right now and trust it would go bang when I pulled the trigger, it would be the Glock I'd grab.
Good luck in your choice, there's a lot to pick from!

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 10:42 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, I sent you a couple e mails w/pics comparing a Beretta M92 and a couple other pistols available in 9MM & 40S&W.

--------------------
mike

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2014 08:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Mike I looked at them.

My head is spinning. I have no idea where a used handgun market exists in The People's Republik?

You know, I bought a Combat Commander in 1972, paid $109 for it. Had two handguns and two rifles stolen late 70's. The Colt was returned to me ten years later, taken from a Mexican down on the border. The others, a Charter Arms 38, a Remington 6MM and a 25'06Ackley, never heard from again.

Another thing, I can only buy one gun a month so I can't compromise and get a revolver AND an auto at the same time, even if I hold my nose and get a Glock.

Thanks for the input, all. Vic, you wrote (for you) a long post but didn't express an opinion about the M92? All I have is your question from a couple years ago: WHY?

How about a Walther?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2014 10:29 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this today and thinks it's pretty accurate.
 -
I also wanted to suggest a S&W 66, a stainless 19 and pretty handy especially with y'all's magazine restrictions. I have had several pistols and a few revolvers but am slowly starting to think for a general purpose gun, a revolver is hard to beat. My latest 640-1 is easier to carry than my Shield and I shoot it just as good.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2014 02:47 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Love the map !!!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Two handguns to consider;

(1) Colt Python .357
(2) Ruger Mark IV .22

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2014 04:08 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
We fall under Yankees and other liberals, man that hurts. We even have a star on the old stars and bars for our state. [Smile]

I thought you old guys were stuck on 1911's. [Smile] I have a couple CZ's, both in 9mm. Very nice pistols. I rode the fence on Glocks. Finally shot my friends PD issued pistol, discovered it wasn't so bad. Even with the stupid PD DAO option they have.

I wanted a carry pistol for AZ, wante hi-cap capable, light, and didn't want an expensive pistol, but it has to go bang every time, and be reasonably accurate. Got a Glock, from one of those police turn in upgrades thingees they do. Wiped off the jelly donuts and powdered sugar, and it works fine. You can even replace the barrel easily like a 1911 does. Often makes me wonder how many barrels are replaced and tossed into the Mississippi or Missouri rivers after a nights use.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2014 07:38 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I have carried a 9mm Sig 228 on duty from when we switched over from the P7M8 13 years ago. They are sturdy and reliable weapons. I would like one in .357 Sig (since they don't make a 10mm!). The Sig has been accurate and reliable. The complaints I have (really preferences more than complaints) are the high bore access and line of sight, and the long double action trigger squeeze for the first shot. My particular gun has been refurbished twice by the armorers and has been rock steady.

One thing about Sigs though, is that they have to be run wet. The Sig reps told use during the transition phase that their guns would need substantially more oil than our P7M8's did. This could be an issue in desert environments, I would think.

If I were to choose between Sig and Glock, I would go with Glock.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters