The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » play time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: play time
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2013 09:28 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
For you nimrods who shoot at coyotes I let pass.....lots ot fiddle with for those who love turning knobs and stuff
http://www.shooterready.com/moademo.html

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2013 11:57 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear....
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2013 01:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear is right. I looked at it for a minute or two and decided my sock drawer needed to be arranged, couldn't wait.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2013 02:52 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
Shooting coyotes on another planet? Turning knobs on the Hubble telescope? All I got out of the link was a picture of deep space......

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
BangPop
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3876

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2013 05:13 PM      Profile for BangPop           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be half way to the next stand before I got all that stuff figured out. I have a headache just looking at it.
Posts: 28 | From: Gallatin Gateway, Montana | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2013 07:28 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been fairly proficient at math. My last grade dropped to a B in calculus but she was the worse teacher ever IMHO. I also own a Mil Dot scope that I would like to exploit for S&Gs. Not that I would use it at such ranges but I've always liked the idea of a simple ranging system. The problem I see with mil dots is the assumption that a man is 19" wide or 6 foot tall. With the above said I will play with this to get better at it someday.

Thanks for the link

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2013 10:04 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Stop thinking in inches, and the math becomes easy.

For instance:
Instead of thinking a coyote's avg. back to brisket measurement is 8", consider it is 2.2mils @ 100yds.
@ 200 yds, that same coyote would subtend 1.1 mils
@ 300yds, it'd subtend ~0.5mils
@ 400yds, it'd subtend ~0.25mils

Follow the math?
Double the distance, half the reticle subtension.

The hardest thing to do is to quit quantifying your target in INCHES. If you start out using a mil value, the math all falls into place...

Too bad we ain't learned up on measuring in meters, that is a base 10 system, same as miliradians. So, the math becomes even more simplistic!
Instead of calling a man's width 19", use 48cm.
Base 10 math is easy schmeasy to do in your head...

Anymore, all ya need these days in the field is a LRF and a proven dope chart. Range the critter, dial the dope and kill that fucker!

But, if ya ain't got time to range, or don't want to bother, just refer to the values I wrote above. If you only used that, you'd be able to extrapolate a broadside standing coyote's distance pretty quickly by simply bracketing it in your mil-based reticle. Not perfect science, but it should give you more info than if you were only swaggin' the distance...

[ June 12, 2013, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters