The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Call volume; (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Call volume;
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 05:54 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Love those Arizona type pics.My weather is similar.Here's another 'small' caliber pic.(17-204).
Note the similar weather.
 -

[ February 12, 2013, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: DiYi ]

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 07:05 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan, follow Tim's advice from a while back and find a gov't hunter to show you how to sneak in on coyotes and blow them out of the cover [Frown]

Wait, whut??? [Confused]

Tim, could you explain why you'd want to "confuse" a coyote with the location of the sound source? Do you want the coyote to "hunt" for the sound, or just to screw with his tiny brain?

Isn't one of the benefits of using an e-caller w/remote so that you can focus a coyote's attention to a certain area away from yourself, to help keep your shooting position undetected?

And wouldn't having the coyote focus on the sound source be beneficial in luring the coyote to an area where a high % shot can be made, unbeknownst to said coyote? Heck, if ya did that, you could even go so far as to favor your rifle toward that general area so your movement is minimized when its time to shoot! Just thinkin' out loud here though...

So, what again about calling so loudly that a coyote can hear you a mile away? What if you want to make two 'quiet' stands to target that mile long patch of cover? Would you still keep the volume on MAX. for the first stand and potentially notify the coyotes further away than they'd be willing to commit from?

If a coyote is too far away to come to a call, and has some type of boundary (farmhouse, highway, river, open field, etc.) to navigate to get to your calling location, what is the benefit of that coyote hearing you in the first place? Wouldn't it make more sense to get closer, take that obstacle out of the equation, and call at a volume that won't initiate that same situation with a different coyote further away?

Can't you see the merits of calling softly and picking your way through patches of cover AT ALL?

Again, for conversation... [Wink]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 07:22 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Knockemdown,

We probably really should stop picking on Timmy. I mean he is after all, the last word in coyote calling.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 08:25 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps, Mr. Cronk.

But, I really don't have any animosity toward Tim. And I know my place here, amongst many of you gents who've been doing this since I was in diapers. So in truth, I'm actually being kinda selfish by trying to generate some dialogue to further myself along on the learning curve...

One thing I try NOT to be is closed minded about my approach to calling. And I'm trying real hard to justify how calling LOUD would be a benefit here in relatively thick cover/terrain, but I'm failing to do so. Hence, the questions to its biggest proponent, who seems so convinced that his blanket calling technique is a cookie cutter fit to everywhere in the country. I've only called coyotes in 11 states, so don't have much to go on, for comparative purposes...

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 08:31 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
only blanked on two stands of all Ive made.
Ha! I knew if I kept at it, someday I'd be as good as Vic. Hell, turns out I might be better. I can do that in an hour's time. [Wink]
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 11:30 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
As to the amount of volume used, I think it has a lot to do with the weather, the terrain, and the direction you like to call. If you call quartering with the wind, which is my preference, and it is good and cold, coyotes will respond from tremendous distances using low volume. I can't say much about calling into the wind, as I seldom do that.

[ February 12, 2013, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Possumal ]

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 11:30 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Jim; this morning will teach me to keep my mouth shut from now on. Nasty ass weather yesterday evening, then a light dusting of snow this morning, calm, clear, just one of those mornings that scream coyotes and my expectations were very high.....I couldn't buy one, saw nothing but pretty country.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 12:16 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol to AZ's post....I get laughed at cause I personally just pick a spot, sit down and call. And....wait for it....wind direction be damned on a lot of stands.. Been doing that for over 25 years. I dont walk around for 5 minutes trying to decide where to put a caller, decoy or any other shit, although I have done plenty of that. What a waste of time imo mostly. Guys that go with me have in their minds that every stand has to be a big production like they see on TV shows. I shoot plenty of coyotes fox and cats and spend less time doing it than most guys I know. I just personally do better when I keep things simple and keep moving. Im a little impatient maybe?
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 02:17 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
LoneHowl,

You nailed it! All you have to do is watch a few video's of the "experts" in action in order to figure out that it is all about WHERE you call and very little about HOW you call. In those places you see in the video's, you could call em by squeazing a rubber ducky.

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 04:37 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich;
I don't know about a rubber ducky, but I used to have a dog squeeky toy shaped like a pork-chop on my lanyard. It was always good for a cheap laugh. (It worked, too.)

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 04:52 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
BwaaHaaa. i'm sure after meeting you, they just want you get the fuck out of there.

Try knocking on more doors.. Thats how I do it. If you do a good enough job some of the land owners will pass your name on to others which equals more land access.

[ February 12, 2013, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: the bearhunter ]

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 05:02 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
So, what again about calling so loudly that a coyote can hear you a mile away? What if you want to make two 'quiet' stands to target that mile long patch of cover? Would you still keep the volume on MAX. for the first stand and potentially notify the coyotes further away than they'd be willing to commit from?
i don't think boy wonder gets to far from the road Fred. [Roll Eyes]

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 05:45 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
BearHunter,

I have experience with several different models from FoxPro, and never saw any need to call at FULL volume with any of them. The Fury never got much above half volume, and neither did the Scorpion when I had the 15 watt TOA speaker plugged in to it. Now my CS-24 would break the ear drums of a fifty yard coyote, and I'm sure that the old W.T. callers with the 30 watt TOA would also blow out the ears of a nearby coyote. I call pretty loud now mind you, but not THAT loud.

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 05:49 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
KOKO,

I am betting that if a guy could make a rubber ducky like mine, or a squeaking pork chop like yours squeak via remote control, we could hang em out fron some 30 yards or so and have a dandy decoy. [Big Grin]

--------------------

the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 06:18 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
hey Rich, that was intended for Tim (boy wonder). sorry if you thought it was directed at you
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 06:25 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ryan, follow Tim's advice from a while back and find a gov't hunter to show you how to sneak in on coyotes and blow them out of the cover
Ask your buddy in Pierre how much volume he uses. Also read Lances post, he does'nt have a problem with it. Your problem is you are trying to apply human logic to calling coyotes...
Take your dog out to the woods sometime and bring your E-call and place it somewhere without the dog seeing it and then take the dog into the area and turn it on full volume and see how he reacts.. They don't care..

quote:
trying to generate some dialogue to further myself along on the learning curve...

No your not..

I'll make it easey for you, you just keep doing it the way you like and if you need advice get it from Rich or Al. LOL I don't really care if you call a coyote in or not..

Question though have you ever tried calling with full volume or close to and done it this way for atleast a week???
Some coyotes are around loud noises all there life, like a 9:00 town whistle or siren, RXR trains and so on. Just because you called in 11 states does'nt mean you are any good at it, just means you been there..LOL

quote:
One thing I try NOT to be is closed minded about my approach to calling.
Have to call bullshit on that one, your mind has been closed on this entire thread...

quote:
coyotes will respond from tremendous distances using low volume. I can't say much about calling into the wind, as I seldom do that.

And there you go, you no nothing about it..
Most of my stands are called into the wind, but I also call cross wind or 4 directional if the lay of the land is in my favor..

quote:
I dont walk around for 5 minutes trying to decide where to put a caller, decoy or any other shit, although I have done plenty of that. What a waste of time imo mostly. Guys that go with me have in their minds that every stand has to be a big production like they see on TV shows. I shoot plenty of coyotes fox and cats and spend less time doing it than most guys I know. I just personally do better when I keep things simple and keep moving.
I agree and do the same as well.

quote:
So, what again about calling so loudly that a coyote can hear you a mile away? What if you want to make two 'quiet' stands to target that mile long patch of cover? Would you still keep the volume on MAX.
As long as I have a good idea there is'nt a terr. line, yes I'll call it at full volume and move two miles down the road or more and make another stand.. I believe in makeing less stands and covering as much area as possable. Its a waste of time stopping every 1/4 to 1/2 mile to make a stand IMO...

quote:
i don't think boy wonder gets to far from the road Fred.
Atleast I walk out past a road culvert or right away.. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 09:46 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
BearHunter,

No worries, I knew you were not aiming at me. I think my way of calling is more in line with your way of thinking. Common sense will take you a long way in the calling world.

--------------------

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 06:56 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, ya just can't git yer tires outta the ruts, can ya?
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 07:12 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Its a waste of time stopping every 1/4 to 1/2 mile to make a stand IMO...

just a couple of months ago, a friend and I left the truck on foot. We did one stand about 100 yards from the truck, it was hidden in an old out building, and called in a coyote. We then walked about 1/2 mile further north and made another stand and called in 2 coyotes. We then headed north west and walked another 1/2 mile and called in 3 coyotes. Then continued to walk west about another 1/2 mile and called in 2 coyotes. We then changed course and headed south about 1/2 mile and did a another stand and called in a single. Then another 1/2 mile and called in a pair. Then changed direction back to the east and stopped one last time and blanked.
So boy wonder, if I had just walked in to about the middle of the circle that we just walked would I have called in all 11 coyotes, and how many of them do you think we would've killed? And if I only got 2 or 3 killed, do you think I could've returned a few days later and called the rest back in?
For the record, we only killed 8 of the 11. Started at sunrise, back at the truck at 11 a.m.
I wasn't using full volume and think it would've been a dumb idea to think I could call all those coyotes to one stand and kill 8 of them.
Obviously full volume isn't for everyone all the time. It's called for at times, but I rarely use much over 1/2 volume. Each thier own.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 08:03 AM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
Full volume, half volume, quarter volume... Depending on which caller you're using, these values would be different. If I'm using a small caller, full volume may be quarter volume of a large call. And some of you are admittedly half deaf. If your call has no number value on the controller, who knows what you're blasting out. [Big Grin]
Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 08:18 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
TR, you get a HALLELUJAH for that!!!
 -

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 08:40 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
TR.

Sounds like you call coyotes in a very similar fashion as I do, and like you it is a very effective and efficient way to kill them..T.A be damned lol

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 09:51 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I do know a lot about calling coyotes. That is why I seldom call into the wind.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 10:00 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Chad...
 -

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 05:06 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So boy wonder, if I had just walked in to about the middle of the circle that we just walked would I have called in all 11 coyotes, and how many of them do you think we would've killed?
Proably none of them. [Roll Eyes]

Don't know about you or others but I don't go into the middle of a group of coyotes and call, I work the fridges and then work my way into the area..
I had a hunt simular to your's and called at full volume bringing in singles, doubles and thriples. Had just a few get away but called and killed them the next day with the caller set on full volume.. So you see it canbe done either way, with my way fewer stands have to be made which leaves me more time for calling elsewhere.... Nice try but still proved nothing..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters