The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Call volume; (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Call volume;
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 02:49 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Lets put it this way, the ones I do see or located have not run away from the caller being to loud so why would it be any different for the ones I don't see.
Yes, but what about all those other coyotes you never saw???

quote:
As for home I have called more coyotes with the volume cranked up than with it at any other setting.. " thats why I use full volume", it produces coyotes on my stands and from what I've seen they just don't care how loud it is...
So how often do you try seeking in and calling softly to compare to the max. volume approach?

Tim, I'm waaaaaay behind the curve here, and just trying to understand your rationale. What if you sneak in on the wind and make a stand within 300yds of the cover that might hold a coyote? Do you still recommend blowing the house down?

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 02:51 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim;
It would appear that we've tailored our hunting methods to our specific types of terrain. You're calling big in big country. In my terrain, I'm relying on several decades of bow hunting experience, moccasins, and lower call volume to take close ones. This past fur season I put several down with the shotgun at less than one minute. Things can happen pretty quick in the brush.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 03:19 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
K "Too much B.S. on other threads."

And now, there's too much B.S. in this one. [Roll Eyes]

What's next, the Minnesota Campus of the Predator University? [Big Grin]

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 03:20 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I am all but deaf in one ear and can hardly hear outta the other one, so it beats the shit outta me just how lou nd my caller is running most stands. Having said that, I hit the first sound and start advancing the volume. Maybe half-full on the first series, and balls to the wall after that. Have had coyotes run the caller over when they got past the first barrage of lead, so I don't know that my coyotes give two shits. LOL Now, I may be wrong. I lost count of how many we've seen this year, and only 90 of them have died since October 1. I must be doing something wrong.

Help?

Oh, and if I said anything that offended anyone, I'm supposed to put this >>> [Big Grin] . Right?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 04:55 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
T.A., you really are an opinionated yoyo. I'd bet that Rich Cronk has forgotten more about calling coyotes than you will ever know or forget.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 04:59 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Trapper must be tuff sneaking in on them with all that snow.. [Roll Eyes]

Cal.. Not struggleing with my coyotes. I call and kill the ones that canbe called and killed and just kill the rest by other means same as you with your traps and helicopter... [Big Grin]

Al: Rich can make some good howlers but thats all I'm giveing him credit for. He started calling coyotes late in his life and not much calling exsperiance to go with it.. [Frown]

[ February 10, 2013, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 05:22 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
When TA passes on to the big coyote pasture in the sky, or is burning in hell, what will ppl do with their time?
I turn my caller up to 11 and never look back. I make sure I scare any close coyotes out by tromping into stands.
Mr. Cronk posted some of his credentials on another site, some time ago, he's got some great calling skill and coyote knowledge to go with his howler and distress calls business.

[ February 10, 2013, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Chris S ]

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 05:48 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Rich the more I read your posts the more I learn. I've learned you truely don't know shit about calling let alone coyotes...Perhaps thats why you struggle so much with your coyotes."

---------------------------------
Timmy,
Your memory is worse than your hearing. Even at my advanced age I can remember when you could not even call ONE coyote in your home state, so you were chasing them with pickup trucks and the help of "the crew" It wasn't until you got help from Scott H. and Randy R and they helped you get permission in South Dakota did you begin to call coyotes. I had called and killed a hell of a lot of coyotes before I even HEARD of the stupid one from Meenasoteee. Now you talk like as though you are KING of the callers. I have called and killed coyotes in Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Wyoming, Texas and more. I have likely forgotten more about coyotes than idiots like you will ever even learn. Why? Because you think you know it all, and you are not willing to listen to guys who are REAL coyote men. Rave on Timmy boy, but nobody is listening.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 05:53 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You say the coyotes you did call in at home responded to high volume. That's an excellent analysis, being this all you use, lol! But what about your dry stands at home? How can you be certain that your loud calling did not have the opposite effect on any coyotes within earshot?

Thats all I use now Freddy.. I spent last season calling both low volume/softer sounds as well as full volume with soft sounds along with getting right down in by the coyotes in the heavey stuff before the snows hit.. I called and killed more with full volume and by keeping back away from the cover they are in..Low volume calling is just a waste of time here and non-productive...

Here you go Fred. Mn. coyote called in with the WT at "full" volume along with some S.D. coyotes.. They don't give a shit on how loud it is..
[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/08- 09%20coyotes/th_Deletepartially5of472009_145243.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208 /TA17Rem/09-10%20Fox%20and%20coyotes/th_Deletepartiallyof2112010_092130.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/T A17Rem/2011-12%20coyotes%20fox/th_Deletepartially4of12172011_100142.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/2010-11%20coyo tes-%20fox/th_Deletepartially3of9172010_133847.jpg[/IMG]

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 06:03 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll continue to do what works for me and not lose any sleep over how the rest of you do.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 06:04 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich I was calling and killing coyotes way before I joined this site and before I met up with Scott or Randy.. Both of them just helped me to do it better and not take so much for granted.. As for the areas I hunt in S.D. I found them on my own back in the early 80's, ask either one of the two mentioned...
I strive to get better at it where most here don't, they just get set in there ways and thing thats the only way to do it...LOL

Edit to add: I agree Lance..... [Wink]

[ February 10, 2013, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 06:22 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, You are definitely a Legend in your own Mind.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 07:00 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope! Just in your's....LOL

--------------------

trapper2
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 08:02 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
what snow are you talking about tim, dry as a powder house here

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2013 08:41 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep and I see you missed one of my posts where I said its pretty tough to sneak up on a coyote with snow on the ground vrs. a area with no snow...

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 08:48 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya'll realize that if WT makes a video that says less volume is more, then Timmy will jump ship right? More or less, I let the terrain dictate how much volume to play. When it's uber-cold, the sounds sure to carry farther, so I tune it down a bit. Everybody has their favorite flavor of Kool-Aid.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 01:48 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, it looks like you are calling on the friggin' Moon. And ya may as well be, since that wide open country sucks volume up like a sponge. Heck, even a high powered rifle sounds like a pop gun in that vast expanse. So I'm failing to see how calling on max. volume in the in the wide open can be compared to calling in/near cover at the same volume range.

So...what about calling IN or very near thick cover where soundwaves are reverberating all over the place?

Have you given any thought as to keeping volume lower in thick cover, so as not to alert an animal down the road @ the next potential stand location? OR, would you rather proclaim your existence & location to every coyote in the county on your 1st stand by lettin' it rip?

Remember, some of us don't have bazillions of acres of Moonscape to pummel in a day's calling [Wink]
Remember, some of us are focusing our efforts in a relatively small area and trying to call any predators from a certain patch of said area.
This is why I don't think that recommending using blaring volume ALL THE TIME is a wise decision. Comprehende?

[ February 11, 2013, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 03:08 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have you given any thought as to keeping volume lower in thick cover, so as not to alert an animal down the road @ the next potential stand location?
I do most of my calling at night now, its more productive and my coyotes are more eager to respond from another section of land vrs. day time calling..
Now if you or someone was asking for advice I would just say try it either way and see what works for you as I already know what works here for me..
Oh and the little echo effect just confuses them on where the sound is comeing from, from what I have seen so I don't worry about it...

Edit to add.
Dennis Kirk has a sound out there that is a recorded bird in distress with echo effects added to the sound,(super bird)and has called in many coyotes for me when something different was needed.......

[ February 11, 2013, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 04:58 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
no i didnt miss the post, i had alot of snow in neb and could still slip in and call them, just different ways folks do it, but i will give you credit, you are the best of the best, or so i have read, but i will still do what works for me and my style of hunting

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 05:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
There you go Trapper, your well on your way of becomeing your own man.. [Wink]
I don't think this thread was directed at just you directly, but to all the members...

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 05:46 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
since that wide open country sucks volume up like a sponge.
How do you know that for certain? Have you come up with a way to test and back up this thoery??

quote:
Remember, some of us don't have bazillions of acres of Moonscape to pummel in a day's calling
Try knocking on more doors.. Thats how I do it. If you do a good enough job some of the land owners will pass your name on to others which equals more land access. [Smile]

quote:
Yes, but what about all those other coyotes you never saw???
How do you know if there were other coyotes, and if there was, how do you know if I saw them or not??

quote:
How can you be certain that your loud calling did not have the opposite effect on any coyotes within earshot?
How can you be certain it did???

Remember the movie "Ghosts of the darkness"
towards the end of the movie one of the actors says "They are just lions"
In this case they are just coyotes... [Smile]

[ February 11, 2013, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 08:13 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
This has been a wonderful week, only blanked on two stands of all Ive made. Been doing it rather primitive, using only a rifle; 18" barreled .17 mach4, with small compact 1.5X6 glass with big bold crosshair,a call and a stool.
No big boomers with VLD bullets or oversized glass. No shooting sticks,no bogpods,no dogs, no blockers no decoys,no barks or howls. Just good country, walk in, sit down and call.....lifes good.
 -

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 09:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
How about emailing me Vic? I'm in El Paso and will be passing through your area possibly Tuesday or Wed.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 10:06 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Vic, I used some of Cal's vocals on this one, lil ol 204 in a sub 7lb gun, dropped on the run no less but I was using a pole cat for a rest.
 -
Did order a vx6, 1-6 for a machine gun though.

Seems to be lots of flared tempers and bruised egos on the net lately. Glad this shit is just for fun.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 11:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice coyote guys..

I brought a couple of scopes home from Scheels today along with some bullets, also had a chance to look at the F-P calls and picked up the prarie blaster and looked it over [Eek!] [Eek!] and then put it back down and walked away... [Big Grin] LOL
Picked up a pair of boots for Copper also and some salmon oil..
Also had a chance to look over one of those power boosters that you use with a red-dot scope. I think Jimmy uses one on his black rifle.. Well built and can see where it would be handy at times....

quote:
Seems to be lots of flared tempers and bruised egos on the net lately. Glad this shit is just for fun.

Yep.. I saw that Duane got the boot at P.M who by the way Mod.s for the dog forum...

[ February 11, 2013, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters