The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Call volume; (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Call volume;
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 11:08 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've recently made a very slight change that makes them more conducive to howling (*but I can't give away all my trade secrets).
Just add a thicker reed. Daaaa.. Makes the call work better in the colder temp.s also. But you did'nt hear that from me.

quote:
Somehow I doubt Tim will admit to being wrong, or accept your offer...and it looks like I was right.
Nope wrong again Krusty.. I talked with Frank tonight.. Learned a little to.. Heck of a nice guy and I enjoyed the talk, too bad there were'nt more guys like him, I also wish him well... Frank also does'nt have that heavey Cali accent like Leonard so he is easier to understand.. [Razz]

[ February 18, 2013, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2013 01:00 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

Lemme spell it out for you in plainer and simpler English... since you can't seem to comprehend anything, otherwise.

I made a very slight change to make double-stacked reeds more conducive to howling, without losing any of the possible frequency range of distress sounds.

TA "Makes the call work better in the colder temp.s also."

Once you put an open reed call IN YOUR MOUTH, and blow 90 something degree air through it, it is no longer affected by outside temperatures. [Roll Eyes]

That's one of the advantages of open reed calls, which anyone that stops and thinks about it knows.

Stick with what you actually know, which isn't much.
And in the mean time, shut the hell up and put your brain in gear once in a while. [Wink]

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2013 04:21 AM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, I went out for a couple quick stands last night, after work, and was howling with my Krier (double reed) to prove myself wrong. I was producing some saleable howls.
The single reed produces wonderful sounds and howls, but the distress with the single doesn't have the 'layers' of the double reed, IMO.

I should mention that the reed I currently have on my call is a double stack reed that I made. It's not the original one Krusty crafted or one if his updated reeds.

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2013 05:14 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris S,

Would you post the length of that Krusty Cryer you were howling with? I would also be interested in the width of the barrel.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2013 06:44 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

I believe this is Chris' call;

-

And like you often say, that a Taylor Special isn't a howler, you're more than welcome to say this call isn't either. [Smile]

Chris can give us the hard numbers, later... he neglected to say that he ended up killing a coyote last night and he's probably riding that momentum and is out calling again. [Wink]

But if I had to guess, that call is 2 1/2 inches long with an oval bell end averaging right around 1 inch, and that the toneboard is just shorter than that of a CritR Call (standard).

Krusty

Edit: oops wrong call picture. [Razz]

[ February 19, 2013, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2013 07:17 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Krusty. I was thinking that such was the case. Small predator calls of the size we are talking about here can howl like a coyote pup, and make dandy puppy squeals. They call coyotes just fine. My personal hangup is when guys claim to be getting adult coyote howls out of their open reed predator calls that are no larger than a Crit'r call "standard". Timmy claims he is getting "young of the year" coyote vocals out of his small predator call, and this being the month of February, that would be pretty much "adult" coyote vocals. In order to get the tone and volume of an adult coyote with a small open reed call, one needs to add a funnel, or "megaphone" up front. That is not political speak, it is pure hard fact. Cal's "Taylor Special" will indeed bark and howl, and Cal calls a heck of a lot of coyotes with it. Maybe even MORE than a heck of a lot of them. It is my strong opinion that YOUR open reed calls are as good as any, and better than most, I can't say enough good about YOUR calls, I just needed to clarify what a true coyote howler is, nothing more. [Wink]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2013 07:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich I use your howler (horn) from time to time when locateing and when I need to make a change up on some coyotes.. I also use the rabbit call you sold me for howling also as a change up and when I don't have the WT along..

But for most of my calling I use the WT and carry a few calls with me as well which consists of the Jerry H. howler, My modified Yotebuster and a ap-6 or 9, and one or two metal reed calls..
When useing strictly hand calls then I use the ones listed above along with a set of calls I bought from Arky yoter. and the J.W open reed call.

-

My modified yote buster along side a Krusty call for size comparison.

-

Don't let the size fool you, this modfied call packs a pretty good punch when makeing female or YOY howls along with pup distress..

You are right about adding some sort of megaphone along with some of the smaller calls and I get simular results by useing a piece of horn with the yotebuster tone board.
 -

--------------------

Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2013 08:29 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, the call you have pictured is my call. I can pick it out of a line up.
3" bottom of bell to bottom of tone board. 3 3/8" top of bell to top of tone board. 1 3/8" tone board length and 3/4" at its widest point, 5/8" at the tip.
That's not a full on howler but in a pinch, it works. [Smile]

And you're right again, Krusty. It has a 1" oval bell end.

[ February 19, 2013, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Chris S ]

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2013 04:01 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Smithers,

Funny you should mention "picking calls from a line-up" ...and not so funny at the same time.

Stay tuned...... [Roll Eyes]

Tim,

What are the chances of you posting a nice clear photo of the one on the fur, shown above?

Krusty

Edit to fix smilie

[ February 21, 2013, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2013 05:51 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,
My guess is that the call on that fur was molded by Tundranooky up in Alaska. If Timmy doesn't come clean on that, I will be forced to ask Leonard to ban him to the consolidated PinHead forum. Shucks, he belongs there anyhoo.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2013 05:58 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a howler sold by Jerry Hunsley, and a dam fine one at that. I don't know who makes them for him though.. I'll see what I can do about a better pic..

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 06:49 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry made the original, and then sent one to be molded by guess who? Tundrawookie that's who. Wow Tim, you escaped the pinHead forum once again. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 08:50 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that Loren Reese did a lot of molding, but this is the first I have heard of TundraWookie doing so.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 09:01 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Possom,
I was thinking that Loren Reese and Tundrawookie were the same guy. Maybe I am wrong, it has happened before.

--------------------

Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 10:37 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, Loren Reese is a school principal at Kenai Peninsula. Tundra Wookie is an engineer.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 11:15 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Possom,

Thanks. for second time in my life, I was wrong. [Wink]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 22, 2013 11:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Cronk is wrong again/alert the media!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 03:20 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Missed this one...Does somebody need injection molded calls made? I used to do mold design work and injection molds for the auto industry, so a mouth-call would be a walk in the park as far as molds go. Loren does a good job on his molded calls.

I still vote to banish Timmy to the pinhead forum for 48 hours minimum. [Smile]

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 03:40 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry does indeed make a very fine Howler(Wileyone). When I first got mine it had the red reed and it was very inconsistant with the howls,it would cut out mid howl ALOT, I talked to Jerry about it and he said he got better reed material and sent me out some replacement reeds free of cost. Problem solved.....Makes very good high pitched Female/Young Coyote Howls.....

Good Hunting Chad

[ February 22, 2013, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 04:02 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad was that the larger howler Jerry sells or like the one in my pic.??

I have both and do remember Jerry giveing me two types of reed material for the larger howler...

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 04:28 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it is the larger one. I got it when he first started making them.
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 04:56 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Gerry telling me that he was going out of business, which saddens me because I really wanted him to succeed. His calls were good quality, and he is such a nice guy ya know?

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 05:00 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that is sad to hear. He really is a great guy.

[ February 22, 2013, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 05:27 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... that doesn't clear things up much.

When Tim mentioned "a guy in Alaska" and then showed that photo, I connected the two (that call and Loren Reese) together.

Without a much better photo that's as much, at this point, as I care to say.

Krusty

--------------------

JeremyKS
Knows what it's all about
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 08:15 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
My wileyone call is black with a red reed.
Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters