The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » a first for me (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: a first for me
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 03:50 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
i went out yesterday for a hunt. though i saw was a small coyote out walking along a drainage ditch. it was'nt [Eek!] . first one i've ever seen. beautiful fox  - .  -
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 03:52 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that's cool...

What's up with that color phase? That's one to be mounted for sure.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 04:25 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice fox B-N-B or you prefer Borken.. [Wink]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 04:38 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
call me anything you want.. just not late for supper [Razz]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 08:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing BH. Neat little critter. Where did that take place? Just curious.

A couple remarks. It is puzzling how these animals colonize new regions. I was born in Minneesota, and I guarantee, there was no coyotes, maybe an occasional fox? I saw some sort of fox while pheasant hunting with my dad and uncle, I was probably 10, armed with my trusty (and deadly) .410.

It's sort of amazing that in my lifetime, coyotes are rather common in Minneesota, as they are in many other parts of the country that previously contained none.

I have to confess that I'm partially to blame for pressuring those coyotes to move to safer areas from here in The People's Republik of Kalifornia.

I have never killed a red fox, never even seen one since that event when I was ten years old until a few years ago, in northern Arizona. I have heard reports of red fox in Orange County, fer cripe sakes! What's up with that?

Gray fox. Now, years ago, sixties, maybe early seventies, when I started doing a lot of contest hunting, it was almost diagnostic to see a gray fox in the kill. That meant the team had been hunting in Arizona. Just like coyotes with white tipped tails. Unheard of, except coming from southern Arizona.

Now, we have white tips coming from the mountain states and ( I hear) the midwest. While hunting Nevada for the first twenty years, I never saw a gray fox, now they are rather common.

So, the migration dynamics of various predators is interesting. Well, it wouldn't interest my late wife for a second, so she had this way of telling me very subtly, that my interests in life indicated that I was a very shallow fellow, and her family heartily agreed.

I began hunting predators seriously about 1968 and gradually, the overall situation has changed, when I stop to ponder. Okay, I'm a fossil, so sue me! Being retired, and with no meaningful responsibilities, I have time to consider such trivial topics, .......like what's the meaning of all this, in this great cosmos?

Well, as that well known sage once said; only the yippers know for sure and they ain't talking. Who said that, anyway?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 08:44 AM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Dave. I hear those are actually fairly common in Ontario. Hopefully i will get a chance at one in January on my wolf hunt!

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CatTracker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3526

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 10:41 AM      Profile for CatTracker           Edit/Delete Post 
In the 70's, I'd see one or two of them show up at the fur buyers every year in northern Minnesota (before the coyotes took over). I for one don't think I'd sell that one...Nice job!
Posts: 38 | From: NM | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 10:54 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Lenard. 20 years ago it was real common to see 20-40 red fox a day. best day was 54. also, 20 years ago, i'd be lucky to even see 1 coyote and went to "any" method to kill it [Big Grin] . mange came in about 12-15 years ago and slowly wiped out our fox pop. coyotes have moved in now and it's way more common to see them than fox. never thought i'd see the day!!! N.D.C.K. you never mentioned to me you were taking me on a wolf hunt?? when's the date???. would full body it but 1/2 his face is still in the fields. j.f.y.i. this fox is coal black with a white chest cresent and tipped tail. very few silver guard hairs. my fur buyer said he's never seen one.has seen silvers but not coal black.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 11:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am heavily engaged in packing, and have been since yesterday. Cold weather gear and some camo and thermals & socks enough to last a week, if I get them wet. Two pair of cold weather boots, one my subzero mukluks, and was asked to bring the snowshoes, but Man! that's going to be difficult! I may have to repack again, or I'm thinking of buying a larger bag, or be soaked for a second bag and a carry on.

Woofs? Who said anything about woofs? They got woofs up there?

Good hunting. LB

PS Randy Buker has always cried about the mange decimating his red fox population, but you know how he exaggerates. Like his routine 500 yard 17 caliber bang/flops on coyotes....... Come to think of it, TA claims the same crap? What is it about Minneesota and whatever you call that?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 11:38 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Minnefornia has LOTS of Woofs. to damn many. hopefully next year there will be a season. Leonard, has anyone ever told you that you ramble on like an "Old Man". [Razz]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 11:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. TY

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 12:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just located a real big hockey bag I can borrow, but I have to go get it.

Unless Dan...no he wouldn't do that for me even if he had nothing to do; which he probably doesn't? Can't hurt to ask? Can you run up to Rancho Cucamonga and bring me that bag, I'm still buying you a DoubleDouble (animal style, grilled onions), fries and a rootbeer.

These Internet forums are great for these types of things!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2010 01:48 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool pic. I've never seen one in that phase before.
Posts: 225 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2010 04:45 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong thread [Smile]

[ December 18, 2010, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2010 04:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, smithers! Your mom post bail, or what? Ain't seen you in a coon's age?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2010 05:41 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Funny that my first post in a coon's age was made in the incorrect thread. It's like I forgot how to post or something'.
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2010 06:15 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Funny that my first post in a coon's age was made in the incorrect thread. It's like I forgot how to post or something'.
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2010 09:00 PM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a beauty of a fox! WTG!

On colors of fox, I've been told that the black ones are simply a color variation of normal red foxes, as are the pale blond ones and variations of cross foxes. Some folks I've hunted with call the black ones silver foxes.

I saw a jet black fox in the edge of Sequim, WA on the Olymnpic Penninsula about 25 years ago. Several of us watched the black fox and a classic red fox play together for 20 minutes in a pasture beside the house where I was staying.

I also watched a jet black one cross the highway in front of me near Kelowna, BC and then pulled out my binculars and watched it cross a frozen lake.

Leonard, as to white tipped tails on coyotes, in 1968 I watched one with binoculars for several minutes on a low ridge above Newhall, California. A pair were together and one had a black tip, the other white. I remember it because the white tip was so unusual to me, and because it was on a picnic breakfast with my new bride.

Farmers in Whatcom County, (NW WA) tell me that there used to be many red foxes in the area and no coyotes or at least very few. Coyotes are now common and foxes appear to be extinct there.

[ December 18, 2010, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Okanagan ]

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2010 08:44 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Bear, that is certainly an unusual fox. Something I've never seen.

Count me among those who lost their fox. I grew up in eastern Mo. and very well remember the coyotes taking over in the mid 70's. We went from foxes and groundhogs everywhere to nothing but coyotes in very short order.
There was a bit of a swing back 5 years or so ago where I saw some foxes again, but I think that fizzled out, too.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2010 08:26 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, the "magic man" is doubling my posts? Haha! The fun never ends. [Smile]
Randy Buker
Member # 134

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2010 11:43 AM      Profile for Randy Buker   Author's Homepage   Email Randy Buker         Edit/Delete Post 
"PS Randy Buker has always cried about the mange decimating his red fox population, but you know how he exaggerates. Like his routine 500 yard 17 caliber bang/flops on coyotes....... Come to think of it, TA claims the same crap? What is it about Minneesota and whatever you call that? "

Leonard,

Glad to see that while I may be gone, I'm not forgotten.

Hope you had a good Christmas.

Randy

--------------------
Hunting the Red Fox

www.geocities.com/foxhunter_56308

Posts: 158 | From: Parkers Prairie, MN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2010 12:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Randy!

Good to hear from you! How's it going?

Glad you took my comments as good natured, which they were. Never doubted your truthfullness. Just the implications. Some people think they can do anything, and I like to urge on the side of caution...ya know?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Randy Buker
Member # 134

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2010 01:01 PM      Profile for Randy Buker   Author's Homepage   Email Randy Buker         Edit/Delete Post 
Life is good, Leonard. Thanks for asking.

I look in here from time to time just to make sure you are behaving yourself. Seems like things are going good for you too?

--------------------
Hunting the Red Fox

www.geocities.com/foxhunter_56308

Posts: 158 | From: Parkers Prairie, MN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2010 02:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
smithers, I have done nothing to anything you wrote. If you double posted, you must have hit the button twice. No magic by me. I do not mess with what members post, almost never, unless I can help with a photo; things of that nature. Don't go getting all paranoid on me.

Good hunting. LB

edit: yeah, Randy. Things are pretty okay with me. Make no mistake, holidays are tough. Right now, I need to get ready for an alumni holiday get together in a couple hours, at The Mission Inn, in Riverside, a very nice and well known venue. I hope some folks show up that I haven't seen in a coon's age?

[ December 27, 2010, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2010 06:24 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, huh. I double up my posts all the time. 34 minutes apart!! Black Ops stuff goin on in here [Smile]

[ December 27, 2010, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters